• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Exactly.
Swedens idea of being a "semi-member" wouldn't be worth anything once the shit hits the fan.

Yep.

So what, is this just the new world order now, that Russia gets to decide everything and do whatever the fuck they want? Everything feels completely fucked, I'm honestly scared for my freedom and peace for the first time in my life.

I have a feeling Putin will use them anyway to paralize NATO. Imagine nuclear strike on Poland, no one would dare to fight with Russia after that. In reality, Russia has been already cut off from the West. Putin doesn't give a shit anymore.
The first long range nuclear missile wouldn't even hit Polish ground before the West launches its own nuclear missiles towards Russian targets. If that happens, the entire northern hemisphere can become strongly radiated and big cities like Paris in all major countries pulverized by the impact of the missiles hitting them.

From CBS Evening News last night interview with Secretary of State Antony Blinken:

At the 2:50 mark the interviewer brings up that Russia's economy is gas backed and that the US purchases gas from Russia and if we'd consider cutting off purchases from them and Blinken responds with a non answer about hurting them with least amount of pain to us (read: no).

So we, despite sanctions, are still providing them money. And since cost of oil per barrel is going up Russia profits more.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The first long range nuclear missile wouldn't even hit Polish ground before the West launches its own nuclear missiles towards Russian targets. If that happens, the entire northern hemisphere can become strongly radiated and big cities like Paris in all major countries pulverized by the impact of the missiles hitting them.

Yeah... But would the west retaliate and doom the entire planet to full nuclear war and the effective end of humanity? Or would we sacrifice Poland like we've sacrificed Ukraine?

Glockmarksmen

Neo Member
I have a feeling Putin will use them anyway to paralize NATO. Imagine nuclear strike on Poland, no one would dare to fight with Russia after that. In reality, Russia has been already cut off from the West. Putin doesn't give a shit anymore.
You’re completely unhinged if you believe a nuclear attack will have no drawbacks. Would be suicide for Russia as a nation.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I mean is Russia holding back their actual good troops? Because the army they sent into Ukraine is like Iraqi Gulf War 1 dogshit and would get rolled in days by US/UK forces.
A lot of the armor they have been using were old cold war stockpiles. They are seemingly sending in "the junk" to exhaust Ukraine.

Hari Seldon

Yep.

So what, is this just the new world order now, that Russia gets to decide everything and do whatever the fuck they want? Everything feels completely fucked, I'm honestly scared for my freedom and peace for the first time in my life.
I mean the answer is if you want to be out of NATO you better have 1. a competent military, and 2. nukes.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Yeah... But would the west retaliate and doom the entire planet to full nuclear war and the effective end of humanity? Or would we sacrifice Poland like we've sacrificed Ukraine?
At that point it'll come down to about 20 people on each side sweating intensely, and deciding the fate of the human race.

Last edited:
Edit: Ok, if we try to join NATO they will destroy us. We better do it quick then. Because if we DON'T join, they can just roll in and nobody will intervene (like now). Soooo I guess we're fucked either way? That's cool.
chips come GIF

Svenskar och finnar välkomna

Atrus

Gold Member
The elected government was overthrown for wanting closer ties with Russia in 2014? That's fine I guess

Syria also has an elected government but it was acceptable to try destroy that. So many hypocritical stances.

When was the last time Syria had a fair election?

What you are describing isn’t a hypocritical stance but your lack of education and indoctrinated bias.

Well, from my admittedly limited knowledge of general Game theory, in this hypothetical scenario it wouldn't make any sense politically for NATO to not retaliate with full force, even if that means paying the highest possible cost. But don't worry, mankind will survive. You know, the brown part of it.

DrAspirino

Banned
Yeah, for sure. It's literally just bought politicians. And the Chinese know that, and know where to pay. We have to root out people prioritizing money over the interests of the nation. And that's damn near every politician we have most of the time so it's an uphill battle for sure.
THIS!!! SO MUCH THIS!!!

The main downfall of the entire west (yes, including LatAm) in servitude to China is happening right before our eyes, because of that mentality.

- Why make iPhones in America when it's so much cheaper to do so in China?
- well...maybe because China is an authoritarian regime and an enemy to the west interests?
- But it's so much cheaper in China and we can make so much more profit!!
(rinse and repeat for every western corporation that has factories in China and Asia).

Now, as a civilization, we're too deep in shit to actually do something, and the east knows it.

And sanctions won't do shit to Russia. Russians are accustomed to famine and being sanctioned to hell and beyond, so they'll take it as another reason to hate and despise the west even more.

The situation right now is a monumental shit show for the west, and the west can't do a thing about it.

Last edited:
I can't understand the woman trying to translate or whatever she's doing. What are they threatening and why?

But if true, what the fuck. We haven't done shit. But neither had Ukraine I guess. So I guess it's time to prepare to die. Fun.

Edit: Ok, if we try to join NATO they will destroy us. We better do it quick then. Because if we DON'T join, they can just roll in and nobody will intervene (like now). Soooo I guess we're fucked either way? That's cool.

Well, look at it this way:

Braag

If Sweden and Finland joins NATO Russia will have to take action.
Well of course. Finland and Sweden are next on their plate once they are done with Ukraine. I would say fuck it and just join NATO, don't do the same mistake Ukraine did.

I can't understand the woman trying to translate or whatever she's doing. What are they threatening and why?

But if true, what the fuck. We haven't done shit. But neither had Ukraine I guess. So I guess it's time to prepare to die. Fun.

Just join and take the risk, it's almost inevitable now. Putin needs to go and sadly the world will be dragged into a war once again. If only the US wasn't always talking shit to China they might have joined us against Russia. I sadly live in Belgium where the NATO headquarters is, so my country is a target for sure.

It's crazy to think Russian scum can even threaten those countries.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member

Ukraine defense official claims Russia has lost 2,800 service members​

Ukraine Deputy Defense Minister Hanna Malyar said Friday that Russian forces have lost 2,800 service members since the start of the invasion.
She added that Russia also lost 80 tanks, 516 armored combat vehicles, 10 aircraft and seven helicopters.
"We are strong!" she wrote on Facebook. "Victory will be ours!"
there you have it whatever GIF

Sybrix

The EU and the nordic countries rely too much on russian gas to escalate the situation. Escalating would be suicidal for them.

2485.jpeg

Problem is Russia will now demand these countries make assurances that they will never join NATO.

I don't see these counties doing this, which makes me wonder how this ends.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I feel like what Bezmenov 30 years ago is more true than ever. The amount of tankies and other people like that rooting for Russia, because of *reasons* is insane.

hurr durr the Nazis™

RT sure is one hell of an "influencer"

Helghan

The battle will be fought in Poland if Russia moves in. Furthest that Russia would be able to come is the border with Germany, they'll never get into Germany.

Thaedolus

RAÏSanÏa

Ukraine defense official claims Russia has lost 2,800 service members​

Ukraine Deputy Defense Minister Hanna Malyar said Friday that Russian forces have lost 2,800 service members since the start of the invasion.
She added that Russia also lost 80 tanks, 516 armored combat vehicles, 10 aircraft and seven helicopters.
"We are strong!" she wrote on Facebook. "Victory will be ours!"

there you have it whatever GIF
Will they be recognized and honoured by their leaders or disowned by fiery morale boosters?

As for the cost in cigarettes - seems like it's light 'em while they got 'em.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Problem is Russia will now demand these countries make assurances that they will never join NATO.

I don't see these counties doing this, which makes me wonder how this ends.

Wonder if the US could pick up the slack with oil exports? Shut Russia off economically and isolate them, while the US/South America and Canada reap the oil contracts for those regions in need.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Wonder if the US could pick up the slack with oil exports?
About that

Forsete

Yep.

I agree 100%.

Edit: Fighter aircraft just flew over my house. They are armed to the teeth, normally they fly without weapons but not any longer. :messenger_crying:

Last edited:
Why should NATO let them in though? They have very little military power to offer the alliance.
Yes because that's what matter in joining a defensive alliance. In cases like this, it would mean letting allies deploy personnel and weapons in your country in case there is any threat (like now).

My heart breaks when seeing the pictures of these children scared as hell, knowing just last week they probably went to school playing on the playground. Now some fat botox fucker is fucking their life up for what?

Last edited:

Sybrix

Wonder if the US could pick up the slack with oil exports? Shut Russia off economically and isolate them, while the US/South America and Canada reap the oil contracts for those regions in need.

That's one option, it will hurt all counties using gas and oil form Russia which will cause damage to nations for several years, can all counties involved tolerate that? Not so sure.

The other option is to bite the bullet and call Russia's bluff and prepare for war.

The other option would be to roll over and give into Russia's demands.

Wonder which............

Havoc2049

You would hope, but with the current administration, probably not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom