• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jsisto

So once Ukraine falls, where next Moldova, the corridor between Lithuania and the Russian province Kaliningrad (as suggested by Mikhail Khodorkovsky, the exiled Russian businessman and Putin opponent), the rest of Georgia?

No way, he'll stop with just Ukraine now he's started down this road unless Ukraine ends up being a military disaster for him, (but I expect the whole country to fall by the end of the weekend). Anyone that tries to defend his next target(s) gets threatened with nukes. Sanctions won't stop him, while troop build up by Nato on his border will make it more likely he'll lash out (cyber attacks, ferment unrest, send in non uniform military, assassinations etc - anything that can be denied as being a Russian attack on a Nato country) and issue ultimatums. I half expect Russia will cut off gas and oil supplies to Europe in retaliation to sanctions in order to bring the EU to heel by forcing gas prices through the roof and causing panic about heating for next winter (maybe under the guise of "pipeline damage, caused by the Ukrainians") .

I feel like the west are in a lose-lose situation here. He might not be mad enough (yet) to attack a Nato country, but any non-Nato country surrounding him is at risk of conquest cos he knows the west will no nothing militarily to help due to not wanting a (nuclear) conflict with Russia.
At the very least I’d like to see some very specific red lines drawn by NATO. Putin can make his big threats, but so can we. Threats alone don’t start wars. I just hope there’s some level of diplomatic talks going on behind the scenes to establish this.

Last edited:

tommolb

That’s why Sweden and Finland should join now ..
Guardian news story from about 15 mins ago;

Russia’s foreign ministry spokesperson, Maria Zakharova, has warned both Finland and Sweden that they will face “detrimental military and political consequences” if they attempt to join Nato.

Zakharova was speaking at a press conference in Moscow earlier this afternoon, where she warned that the Nato accession of either Finland or Sweden would spark a serious response from Moscow.

niilokin

Russia is threatening both Sweden and Finland with detrimental military and political consequences” if they attempt to join Nato, i.e. conquest.
you dont just come and attack, the war on ukraine has been worked on for years and it took months and months for them start being ready to invade. it's part of their auto-play rhetoric about scandinavia and nato topic.

sinnergy

Russia’s foreign ministry spokesperson, Maria Zakharova, has warned both Finland and Sweden that they will face “detrimental military and political consequences” if they attempt to join Nato.

Zakharova was speaking at a press conference in Moscow earlier this afternoon, where she warned that the Nato accession of either Finland or Sweden would spark a serious response from Moscow.
Yes .. because if they join .. Putin attacks NATO .. he wouldn’t.. maybe the best play to do strategically.

Last edited:

ratburger

When President Joe Biden announced a number of new sanctions on Moscow hours later, he explicitly spared Russia’s energy trade. Oil prices quickly shed earlier gains. “I will do everything in my power to limit the pain the American people are feeling at the gas pump. This is critical to me,” Biden said.
The president understands what's really at stake.

sinnergy

you dont just come and attack, the war on ukraine has been worked on for years and it took months and months for them start being ready to invade. it's part of their auto-play rhetoric about scandinavia and nato topic.
They even have a strategy in which they play out the part like this , spread the enemy thin and fully invade .. just like they are doing now . That’s what the Ukrainians need to be for on the look out .. at least you have internet now to research.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Yes, and it's that war that put Japan on the world map, power-wise.

However the actual fighting is a long way from that part of Russia if they theoretically were to attack in some way. And with China rattling about Taiwan they have more immediate concerns.
Yeah, but just because Russia is making big noises now about reclaiming its post WW2 territory, it does not mean that aggressive eastern expansion is not something it ever had as a policy.

Yes...and no.
It took months to build up forces that were playing war games "legitimately" inside Russian borders.
If they wanted to activate other units now they don't need to pretend, they wont need months, they probably won't even need hours

Braag

Hah, yeah cause it's easier to invade a country that isn't in NATO, like Ukraine is finding out now.

Fluo

Zakharova talks a lot of shit on a regular basis. Don't think Russia has resources to invade several countries simultaneously.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
So once Ukraine falls, where next Moldova, the corridor between Lithuania and the Russian province Kaliningrad (as suggested by Mikhail Khodorkovsky, the exiled Russian businessman and Putin opponent), the rest of Georgia?

No way, he'll stop with just Ukraine now he's started down this road unless Ukraine ends up being a military disaster for him, (but I expect the whole country to fall by the end of the weekend). Anyone that tries to defend his next target(s) gets threatened with nukes. Sanctions won't stop him, while troop build up by Nato on his border will make it more likely he'll lash out (cyber attacks, ferment unrest, send in non uniform military, assassinations etc - anything that can be denied as being a Russian attack on a Nato country) and issue ultimatums. I half expect Russia will cut off gas and oil supplies to Europe in retaliation to sanctions in order to bring the EU to heel by forcing gas prices through the roof and causing panic about heating for next winter (maybe under the guise of "pipeline damage, caused by the Ukrainians") .

I feel like the west are in a lose-lose situation here. He might not be mad enough (yet) to attack a Nato country, but any non-Nato country surrounding him is at risk of conquest cos he knows the west will no nothing militarily to help due to not wanting a (nuclear) conflict with Russia.

I honestly don't think this will last much longer.

The war is, by all accounts, very unpopular with Russian citizens. The longer this continues, the more support Putin loses at home. If the protests increase, Putin could be looking at a full blown revolution in Russia.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Fair point. People bring that up that possibility.

If that's the case then Putin gets a green light for anything he wants.

Yep. That seems to be the case. The west doesn't dare respond with anything but "soft" sanctions that Putin doesn't give a shit about, because he has his alliance to the east, with China.

I'm just amazed, and happy that as the 2nd night starts in Ukraine, Russia still does not hold the capital. This is not what putin expected.

Mohonky

NATO moving forces toward the edge of the NATO territory lines.

Tbh I think this should have been done earlier.

A show that Russia will not just push forward with impunity. Its going to be necessary to show Putin they wont just be pushed over by threats of escalation otherwise he will pull this same line as he just marches further West.

There is no way Ukraine is the sole goal here for Putin; they really need to put it to Putin that encroaching in any soverign nation will have repurcussions.

I wonder realistically, if Putin will be overthrown internally. Putin wont be hurt by sanctions; but the rich oligarchs below him are going to be hurt by this and I dont believe they will be prepared to sit idly by while Putins actions hurt their back pocket.

I dont think this is doing anything for Putins image at home either. I dont get the impression this is actually driving up much nationalism; more disillusion.

Either way, Russia might be able to take the Ukrainian government, but Ukraine is getting ready to fight guerilla warfare and Russia isnt exactly having a stroll in the park right now.

Last edited:
I really do not understand how RU missiles are hitting non-ukranian ships and the countries who own those ships are not flipping out at RU about it.
I assume they claim collateral damage. Russia will say that the whole world knows that this part of Earth is a current war zone, if you are not flying Russian colours, you shouldn't be in this area and are assumed to be Ukrainian, or other subversive forces working for Ukraine or against Russia, so fair game

tommolb

The best thing Ukraine can do is go full guerrilla and prolong it , with lots of Russian casualties and let the Russian people throw down Putin with a revolutionary move .
Guerrilla warfare is Ukraine's only viable option, with Nato and surrounding European states offering bases, training, weapons, intelligence, launching cyber attacks etc. Sadly, only the deaths of thousands of Russian troops and the resultant widespread Russian public anger will stop Putin.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
i think that is the best outcome. But for how long can Ukraine defend themselves

Jurassic Park Hold Onto Your Butts GIF

Hari Seldon

NATO moving forces toward the edge of the NATO territory lines.

Tbh I think this should have been done earlier.

A show that Russia will not just push forward with impunity. Its going to be necessary to show Putin they wont just be pushed over by threats of escalation otherwise he will pull this same line as he just marches further West.

There is no way Ukraine is the sole goal here for Putin; they really need to put it to Putin that encroaching in any soverign nation will have repurcussions.

I wonder realistically, if Putin will be overthrown internally. Putin wont be hurt by sanctions; but the rich oligarchs below him are going to be hurt by this and I dont believe they will be prepared to sit idly by while Putins actions hurt their back pocket.

I dont think this is doing anything for Putins image at home either. I dont get the impression this is actually driving up much nationalism; more disillusion.

Either way, Russia might be able to take the Ukrainian government, but Ukraine is getting ready to fight guerilla warfare and Russia isnt exactly having a stroll in the park right now.
I think putting 200-300k troops in the Baltic would mean that Putin cannot commit his entire force in Ukraine if things stay rocky there, thereby giving the Ukrainians more of a chance.

They should have taken the terms of surrender. Russia has no qualms about wiping the population of Western Ukraine off the map so long as the infrastructure remains.

Finland and Sweden joining NATO threats are just mind games designed to make NATO happy they stopped at Ukraine.

Mohonky

I think putting 200-300k troops in the Baltic would mean that Putin cannot commit his entire force in Ukraine if things stay rocky there, thereby giving the Ukrainians more of a chance.
Honestly, I wouldnt be surprised if NATO forces are being positioned right now in preparation to call him out. NATO has been arming and providing tactical support, but I suspect they will be moving forces in preparation of giving Putin an ultimatum to stand down

ManaByte

Gold Member
At the very least I’d like to see some very specific red lines drawn by NATO. Putin can make his big threats, but so can we. Threats alone don’t start wars. I just hope there’s some level of diplomatic talks going on behind the scenes to establish this.
US diplomacy at this time is basically saying “Please stop” while sharing intel with China.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
So basically is Russia gonna start threatening everyone who is not a nato member and may have the slighest idea in joining them?

If that's the case we might as well suit up.

gear up arnold schwarzenegger GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom