• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

MastaKiiLA

Well sorry that I have my doubts. Lets wait for some confirmation of his/vice's claims.
Yeah, I'm not about to just accept that Ian Bremmer would risk his career to make up a lie. Especially when he says that Elon told him this directly. He could've attributed it to an anonymous source, or "sources close to Elon", but he went ahead and said Elon was the source. There are a lot more reasons for Elon to lie in this scenario, like the fact that what he did looks extremely fucked up to most people.

Amory

Eh, but if he uses a nuke, literally everything he wants (and that he's had for years now) will go. There won't be a Russian Federation at the end of it.
it’s not an appealing option, and won’t ever be.

But imagine he’s faced with total defeat in Ukraine, hated by his people for what he’s done to Russias economy and world standing, threatened with being ousted by his political allies, facing being thrown in jail or even potentially assassinated. At some point he’s fucked either way

It may well be Elon trying to look cool to the NatSec crowd by claiming to have spoken to Putin. And then one of his legal aides reminds him of the Logan Act.

It’s infuriating that these people are allowed to stay in our countries, yet if we went to Russia and voiced our opinion we’d be sent to the Gulag.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Agreed , and let them rebuild it all. Paid with Russian money.

Last month the World Bank, Ukrainian government and the European Commission estimated that it would cost $350 billion to rebuild Ukraine (link below for breakdown). However, this is just an estimate. Obviously as the war continues this cost increases. A previous report had the figure at $750 billion.

I'd want to see Russia pay for all costs of rebuilding Ukraine, but in reality that's probably not going to happen. Analysts within and outside of Russia have considered the real possibility of Russia splitting up into independent states after this war. States that'll probably have different views and ideologies. Not to mention the split of Russia probably wouldn't be smooth and peaceful. Even if that didn't happen, Russia probably still would be unable to pay or just outright refuse.

We could completely take the assists of Russian oligarchs, but that wouldn't cover the cost of the full rebuild.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europ...caused-over-97-bln-damages-report-2022-09-09/

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member

Russia drafting the elderly and disabled - cannon fodder to delay defeat in hopes the Western alliance breaks

yahoo.com/news/r...

Willy Wonka Reaction GIF
So they really don't have any real soldier left in the country?

GymWolf

Gold Member
it’s not an appealing option, and won’t ever be.

But imagine he’s faced with total defeat in Ukraine, hated by his people for what he’s done to Russias economy and world standing, threatened with being ousted by his political allies, facing being thrown in jail or even potentially assassinated. At some point he’s fucked either way
And you think that putin in that state could order a nuclear attack and the people who actually have to press the nuke button are gonna listen to him in such a precarious situation?

If he want to use nukes he has to be now where he still has goons that follow his orders, not when they are ready to kill...retire him.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
In the situation we were talking about:
1. Acknowledge the possibility
2. Try to prevent it
3. Be real and realize than one fuked contry is better than half the world fucked
We all aknowledge the possibility, him using nukes is literally the reason why the entire world haven't attacked russia yet.

Read the first part, not opening a new asshole into russian territory is already trying to prevent a nuke attack.

Imagine if the country was the one you were living in tho, it is easy to talk when are not your childs that are getting raped.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

2. Try to prevent it
3. Be real and realize than one fuked contry is better than half the world fucked

Frankly, if our world allows the kinds of war crimes we’ve seen in Ukraine to go unpunished, we deserve to get fucked. If we capitulate to Putin now, we deserve everything we inevitably get in the future.

Your attitude of ‘it’s okay for Ukraine to be fucked as long as the rest of us are okay’ is precisely the attitude that leads to global fuckery.

Whitecrow

Banned
Imagine if the country was the one you were living in tho, it is easy ti talk when are not your childs that are getting raped.
Do you think I did not think about this? But what can be done about it?
Would it suck to be that one fucked country? Absolutely. If I was from there I were panicking to hell and back. Still, if I could maintain rationality, I would think the same.

Frankly, if our world allows the kinds of war crimes we’ve seen in Ukraine to go unpunished, we deserve to get fucked. If we capitulate to Putin now, we deserve everything we inevitably get in the future.

Your attitude of ‘it’s okay for Ukraine to be fucked as long as the rest of us are okay’ is precisely the attitude that leads to global fuckery.
Nuclear war is a problem for today. Russia preparing for a bigger war in the future is a problem for the future.

Unfortunately there's no way of just getting rid of the desease before it spreads. I dont see any good outcome.. Everything is about choosing the lesser evil.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Would it suck to be that one fucked country? Absolutely. If I was from there I were panicking to hell and back. Still, if I could maintain rationality, I would think the same.
What can be done? maybe what they are doing right now? Cornering putin until his own government is gonna be fed with his bullshit so much that the nuclear option is not gonna be a thing anymore.

The alternative would be to give putin all he want, and how do we even look at ourself in the mirror if we do that?

Whitecrow

Banned
Cornering putin until his own government is gonna be fed with his bullshit so much that the nuclear option is not gonna be a thing anymore.
And that's just what is happening, but Im not so sure about the nukes not being an option.

Putin is out of his mind. We cannot be sure of how effective having more people in charge of the nuke decision really is.
Putin already did a Russia oligarc killing spree. How are you so sure that if someone stops Putin from using a nuke, that person will not be killed?

Honestly, with everything we already saw, I wouldnt be sure of anything, besides that 'anything could happen'.

If the world caves to Russian demands, it won't stop with Ukraine.
Either we stand with Ukraine or more countries will suffer the same fate.

What would you do if the only way to prevent other countries suffering that fate was nuke Rusia?

Last edited:

FunkMiller

And that's just what is happening, but Im not so sure about the nukes not being an option.

Putin is out of his mind. We cannot be sure of how effective having more people in charge of the nuke decision really is.
Putin already did a Russia oligarc killing spree. How are you so sure that if someone stops Putin from using a nuke, that person will not be killed?

Honestly, with everything we already saw, I wouldnt be sure of anything, besides that 'anything could happen'.

So, why hasn’t he used nukes already, despite the fact we’ve repeatedly crossed his red lines?

GymWolf

Gold Member

There is a limit of how much power he can have if literally everyone else is against him because russia continue to lose millions and soldiers every day in ukraine, a coup is a real possibility dude.

Von Hugh

Seems like a nice chap, I really can't understand why the Ukrainians wouldn't welcome Putin & his minions with open arms..

Its like the Nazi's & The Holocaust never happened.

Truly, it all goes around in a circle.

Putin has got such a superiority complex that he thinks he can actually do better than Hitler and succeed.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
2. Try to prevent it

This is where your logic, the appeasers logic fails: Putin and Russia are in an imperial mood - if you think Ukraine is the only country they want to invade you are wrong.

If these nuclear skirmishing tactics work to deter the west, next come the baltics: Lithuania, Estonia and Latvia. And here is where the fun begins because they’re NATO countries… guess what Russia will do? Threaten nukes if NATO comes to defend them. And if the west buckles again to the possibility of nuclear war, NATO is dead and the sky is the limit as far as his ambitions.

That is why he must be stopped at Ukraine. That is why no amount of doubt can be allowed - Russia must be stopped.

And frankly I don’t know where you live, but I live in Europe in a country that has publicly supported Ukraine with weapons so if nukes start flying I’m in the blast zone. And I am OK with that - the threat to our democracies that an emboldened Putin represents is worse.

FunkMiller

And frankly I don’t know where you live, but I live in Europe in a country that has publicly supported Ukraine with weapons so if nukes start flying I’m in the blast zone. And I am OK with that - the threat to our democracies that an emboldened Putin represents is worse.

This is the key point that so many people either fail to understand, ignore completely because it's hard to deal with, or reject because they're actually Putin supporters.

Tams

Gold Member

Nuclear war is a problem for today. Russia preparing for a bigger war in the future is a problem for the future.

Unfortunately there's no way of just getting rid of the desease before it spreads. I dont see any good outcome.. Everything is about choosing the lesser evil.
Kicking the can down the road has never been a solution.

mxbison

This could be an argument if we were really talking about one country.

Look at what Russia is saying and doing, it's straight out of the Nazi playbook.

Let them take Ukraine then Georgia and Moldova are next. Better 3 countries fucked, than half the world right? Well after that the baltic states (which Russia already talked about when they thought Ukraine will be done in 3 days) are next which means World War 3.

Trying to defend Ukraine, isolate Russia, let them collapse, and take the very minor risk that they really do use nukes, is probably the lesser evil.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

I grew up in the 90s after “the end of history.” I had two grandfathers who killed nazis and hardly spoke a word of it to me because of the horror they witnessed. I physically possess the Purple Heart in memory of my grandmother’s first husband who died fighting in Europe as a teenager in their first year of marriage.

It’s hard to admit there’s still true and pure evil in this world. But we must stand opposed.

All I’m being asked to do is pay some more at the pump, or delay sending people to Mars. I think I can handle that.

I feel sorry for anyone who has seen what’s transpired over the last several months and is still confused by who the good and bad guys are.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Then you need to take several steps back and take a break from the situation. Nukes are not happening. From either side. Full stop. Putin and the rest of them would be removed or killed before that happens.

Stressing out over it or trying to argue policy over it is a waste of time.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Anyways news from the front!

Kherson: reportedly 5 villages have been liberated but one is Chernove and we sort of knew that already, so this might be a case of official ministry announcement being delayed vs boots on the ground + photo that is more immediate.

Luhansk: ah, this here things are more interesting - Russia reports shelling Kovalivka a town that is 5 kilometers from the P-66 (the road connecting Svatove to Kreminna). Speaking of Kreminna the orcs found a hole and pushed west briefly "recapturing" three towns yesterday, but as of today two of those towns have been cleaned up. My take is that Ukrainian command decided against taking Kreminna and left some soldiers to hold the line while the real action is happening towards Svatove.

Speaking of Luhansk, the orcs seem determined to block the ukrainian so-called thunder runs that were used to liberate Kharkiv and are now digging massive trenches dotted with obstacles to impede movement so that ukrainians are forced into defense chokepoints - this is somewhat speculative as some think these are to be used as proper ww1 style trenches but I doubt that.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

2. Try to prevent it
Letting that one country get fucked emboldens putin to go fuck even more countries...cuz why the fuck wouldnt he If the nuclear threat worked the first time...he'll just do it again and again untill entire USSR is "rebuilt"...

If You can't see how stupid a decision number 3 is and what can of worms it'll open then clearly you haven't been following this war enough..

Brazen

Looks like another day of strikes on Ukraine infrastructure.
Ukraine continues the push on the front liberating more cities, at work so unable to post some sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom