• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwinB242

Trenches have been used extensively throughout this entire conflict by both sides and they are actually very effective for defenders. Especially when the attacking side is forced to move along open fields to get to them.

But they should be built in a zig zag type of pattern. Those are completely straight, which is actually a terrible idea. If a shell lands in it it'll spray shrapnel in both directions and cause a ton of casualties.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

This can't be real.

They can't be that stupid, surely?
You see Ukraine winning ? Because I don't. Both sides are incompetent AF, they should just settle it with a chess or DOTA 2 game.

I honestly do not see the end game here from both sides. You either win outright or you make your negotiating position the best possible, then you settle.

Last edited:
You see Ukraine winning ? Because I don't. Both sides are incompetent AF, they should just settle it with a chess or DOTA 2 game.

I honestly do not see the end game here from both sides. You either win outright or you make your negotiating position the best possible, then you settle.
Holy fuck man, I think you should go over there and show em how it's done.

Cyberpunkd

Holy fuck man, I think you should go over there and show em how it's done.
Congrats on completely missing the point. What are the targets and objectives of both sides and are they realistic? Because if not they are worthless.

Russia will invade all of Ukraine? Not without committing way more forces.

Is Ukraine able to take back occupied territories ? Because if not petitioning international community will do nothing.

We didn't even go 9 months of this conflict and the whole of Europe is already tired, facing one of the largest economic and energy crisis ever, and that after 2 years of Covid. Do you really think Germans, French, Polish are ready to throw their countries into the gutter to save Ukrainians?

FunkMiller

Ukraine are indeed going to win outright. How do I know this? The actions of the Ukrainian army and the support from NATO. This will end with the end of Putin.

Last edited:
Congrats on completely missing the point. What are the targets and objectives of both sides and are they realistic? Because if not they are worthless.

Is Ukraine able to take back occupied territories ? Because if not petitioning international community will do nothing.

We didn't even go 9 months of this conflict and the whole of Europe is already tired, facing one of the largest economic and energy crisis ever, and that after 2 years of Covid. Do you really think Germans, French, Polish are ready to throw their countries into the gutter to save Ukrainians?

Don't cut yourself on all these edgy takes mate. Perhaps show some empathy and stop being so callous.

Tams

Gold Member
I grew up in the 90s after “the end of history.” I had two grandfathers who killed nazis and hardly spoke a word of it to me because of the horror they witnessed. I physically possess the Purple Heart in memory of my grandmother’s first husband who died fighting in Europe as a teenager in their first year of marriage.

It’s hard to admit there’s still true and pure evil in this world. But we must stand opposed.

All I’m being asked to do is pay some more at the pump, or delay sending people to Mars. I think I can handle that.

I feel sorry for anyone who has seen what’s transpired over the last several months and is still confused by who the good and bad guys are.

One of my grandfathers too. He never spoke a word of it to me, hardly anyone even. And he saw the aftermath of some of the worst.

I don't know much of what he would have thought on many things, but from what I do know of him, when faced with a evil like this, I'm certain he would in support of stopping it in its tracks as soon as possible. And that's not done by appeasement.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Trenches have been used extensively throughout this entire conflict by both sides and they are actually very effective for defenders. Especially when the attacking side is forced to move along open fields to get to them.

But they should be built in a zig zag type of pattern. Those are completely straight, which is actually a terrible idea. If a shell lands in it it'll spray shrapnel in both directions and cause a ton of casualties.

Ukraine dug trenches at the start of the war, because it was one of the only methods of defence they had against the rolling Russian attack, prior to the influx of NATO armament.

The Russians are now building trenches against an army that has surface to surface guided missile capabilities, and drone delivery.

You might as well bend over in a field with a Russian flag stuck up your arse.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Perhaps show some empathy and stop being so callous.
Empathy is for people, not governments. Elected officials have a responsibility for their actions that regular citizens do not, exactly the same way as some people are promoted to management while some spend 30 years as a line worker. How is that difficult to understand?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

No, they do it, so they will protect themselves from Russians. The NATO conflict will be much more likely if Ukraine would pose zero to little resistance. When people are saying that they are fighting for rest of the Europe it's true. And since they are willing to fight and possibly weaken Russia to large degree, weak Russia is good for anyone. Maybe then will be fuel from them much cheaper, because they will take anything. Obviously from potential future government, this hopefully gets shot, all of them.

winjer

Europe already sourced new sources of oil and gas. It's just a matter of time until this transition is complete.
Gas prices have already come down a lot in the past couple of months. And it's going to continue to lower.
It might be a bit more expensive than buying Russian gas, but it's much better than being hostage to Russian whims of war.

Kenpachii

Europe already sourced new sources of oil and gas. It's just a matter of time until this transition is complete.
Gas prices have already come down a lot in the past couple of months. And it's going to continue to lower.
It might be a bit more expensive than buying Russian gas, but it's much better than being hostage to Russian whims of war.

U wot mate, where did gas prices go down?

winjer

U wot mate, where did gas prices go down?

11dxjxR.png

akimbo009

Gold Member
Empathy is for people, not governments. Elected officials have a responsibility for their actions that regular citizens do not, exactly the same way as some people are promoted to management while some spend 30 years as a line worker. How is that difficult to understand?

You are back fucking up this thread with your shit takes.

Let me remind you, there isn't a "both sides" to this.. Ukraine doesn't have an "objective". They are resisting an invading force cause they don't want to be fucking Russians or rules BY fucking Russians.

There is a quick end to this war, Putin leaves. That's it. That's the "objective". And Europe, the G7, the US, will be there the entire way.

So get some rest if you're so tired. It's going to be a bumpy but freedom loving ride.

This winter will be relatively fine, gas reserves were built up during the year, partly on Russian gas. Next year will be the real challenge, if Russian gas is gone and stays gone it will be more difficult to build up the reserves in summer.

akimbo009

Gold Member

Was really critical of Germany at the start of all this, but they're starting to do all the right things. Still got to reconcile how they got Europe into this mess a bit more though this is a great addition to the 'kill orc arsenal'.

Cyberpunkd

Prices that are multiple times higher than what we have now? Sure, they will give you gas and oil, but you have to pay for it. All the other providers e.g. Norway have the whole Europe knocking asking for oil, you think they will get a discount?
Let me remind you, there isn't a "both sides" to this.. Ukraine doesn't have an "objective". They are resisting an invading force cause they don't want to be fucking Russians or rules BY fucking Russians.
There is always an objective, this is what separates people throwing their lives needlessly with people playing to win.

Thaedolus

I don’t know if this is just a false premise or if your balls are in a jar in the Kremlin…

winjer

Prices that are multiple times higher than what we have now? Sure, they will give you gas and oil, but you have to pay for it. All the other providers e.g. Norway have the whole Europe knocking asking for oil, you think they will get a discount?

The price of dealing with Russia is many times higher.

akimbo009

Gold Member

There is always an objective, this is what separates people throwing their lives needlessly with people playing to win.

Reminder fuel was increasing even before the war because of supply chain, and post-COVID backlogs.

Who's throwing their lives away needlessly? The Russians? I agree. Certainly not the Ukrainians defending their lands, right?

I just received a letter from main French energy provider (EDF) pushing really hard to put me on a plan that will force be to minimize my energy spend this winter. You were saying?

Get an extra blanket - hardly a sacrifice considering what your fellow Europeans in Ukraine are going through to defend your freedom - cause that's what they are doing, yours and the rest of Europe.

Amory

And you think that putin in that state could order a nuclear attack and the people who actually have to press the nuke button are gonna listen to him in such a precarious situation?

If he want to use nukes he has to be now where he still has goons that follow his orders, not when they are ready to kill...retire him.
Agree, he’d have to do it when he sees the writing on the wall, but before he loses the people he needs to get it done. I.e., soon

akimbo009

Gold Member
Bring down their economy. Make it impossible to produce high end weapons.
Have hundreds of thousands of men in Russia run away.
And give enough weapons and financial support to Ukraine to destroy Russian military equipment, to the point that Russia needs to use T-62s, AK-Ms and other old equipment.

Hmmm.... Sounds familiar... :)

those trenches are not for placing troops. It's to slow the advance of Ukrainians while honing artillery on these areas. Since Ukrainians will have to demine first then dig up bridges across the trenches to advance making them easy targets.

Which is working because their advance on both fronts have stalled now. Especially the tactic Russia employed with Paratroopers in the south have complicated things for Ukraine as well.

Last edited:
For sure, but what is the plan to make them capitulate?

I know it would be hard since Putler simply cannot admit defeat. I guess it is to make Ruzzia lose all equipment, get the lands back and then wait for the piece of shit to die or have the military take him out. The sanctions, loss of jobs, and nice things left are going to hurt the populace and hopefully, they will take it into their hands to finish their dictator (I know it may be tricky).

Like it or not, this is the end of the Ruzzia we all know, in one way or another. (Not that most of humanity will miss it)

Spaceman292

Banned
Anyways news from the front!

Kherson: reportedly 5 villages have been liberated but one is Chernove and we sort of knew that already, so this might be a case of official ministry announcement being delayed vs boots on the ground + photo that is more immediate.

Luhansk: ah, this here things are more interesting - Russia reports shelling Kovalivka a town that is 5 kilometers from the P-66 (the road connecting Svatove to Kreminna). Speaking of Kreminna the orcs found a hole and pushed west briefly "recapturing" three towns yesterday, but as of today two of those towns have been cleaned up. My take is that Ukrainian command decided against taking Kreminna and left some soldiers to hold the line while the real action is happening towards Svatove.

Speaking of Luhansk, the orcs seem determined to block the ukrainian so-called thunder runs that were used to liberate Kharkiv and are now digging massive trenches dotted with obstacles to impede movement so that ukrainians are forced into defense chokepoints - this is somewhat speculative as some think these are to be used as proper ww1 style trenches but I doubt that.

Must be pretty disheartening to dig all those trenches and just look up to see ukranian drones zooming around above you taking pictures.

Cyberpunkd

Get an extra blanket - hardly a sacrifice considering what your fellow Europeans in Ukraine are going through to defend your freedom - cause that's what they are doing, yours and the rest of Europe.
See, I can actually do that, but it would be good to have the whole EU come out and co-ordinate this somehow: "this is what we are facing ; what we are asking ; what will be the result".

I just received a letter from main French energy provider (EDF) pushing really hard to put me on a plan that will force be to minimize my energy spend this winter. You were saying?
Relatively fine compared to what Russia fans predicted with half the continent freezing to death.

It's still shit, even France passed laws that mandate reduction of nuclear energy for the 'green transition' that now bites them in the ass.

The objectives for Ukraine are pretty simple, be an independent country, not dictated to by big bully neighbours, and prosper as best as they can

The objectives of Putin is to illegally invade a country for his own gains and using a corrupt, ignorant, brainwashed country to help him fulfil those objectives

One of them involves peace and diplomacy, living free, happily, safely, one of them is a tyrant hell bent on creating his own version of the 3rd reich. Can you figure out which is which? I can give you clues if you like

Ukraine now, backed by almost every other country in the world in name, and by a good few countires by means, have the power, momentum and god damned will to take back what is rightfully theirs

We had a clown previously saying that "Ukraine cant take back shit" with his version of a Soviet europe, and then literally days later, they had taken back massive amounts of teritory, and have consolidated those gains. This isn't propaganda, it's happened, even Putin has come out publicly and admitted to these losses

With Western weapons, western training and western funding, Ukraine will "win" this war, on their terms. What those terms are is up to Ukraine. Not you, or your government, because your petrol costs a little more, you can't afford that weekly takeaway now, you have to think twice about that new €$£70 game. Boo hoo. What a terrible time you are having

You live comfortably. You know how I know that? You have the time to sit at an electrical device, in a warm environment, in safety, typing away on a games forum about an illegal war in Europe

Europe is not tired of this war. It wished it was over I'm sure, as does Ukraine and Putin, for different reasons, but it's not tired of it. Just recently Frances new European group have got together and come out saying they will back Ukraine until the end. The latest G7 meeting has reconfirmed the same thing. We are still sending weapons and providing training

It's almost as if you have never read ANY history at all. War creates issues. This one is causing a heating/power issue in Europe and a food crisis in other parts of the world. We will deal with it, reluctantly, but yes we will deal with it. The planet has had 2 world wars, and plenty of European wars for the last 1000 years, creating issues like plagues and other medical issues, famines, high taxes, growing resentment, bankruptcy and more. Europe has survived each and every one of these wars

French, German and Polish people will survive as free, democratic, sovereign states, a little hard done by, annoyed maybe, set back economically yes, but if it means they get to wake up in the morning and have a donut with a starbucks coffee, without being shelled, watching some barbarian capture a teenage girl, tie her up, rape her, then burn her body in front of her parents, then toddle off to work, get paid a wage for a day's work, all so that you can have WiFi at home for your Overwatch2 game, they will take it

And because those countries in particular that you mentioned know the cost of war, its in some peoples lifetimes that it affected those countries horribly and terribly, and I can guarantee, that the majority of the people in those countries do not want a repeat of that horror

Its not up yo you to decide, or me or Macron or Truss. When Ukraine are happy to say theyve done what they needed too, or wanted to do, or can do, or God hoping Putin leaves, then the war will be over, until then, suck it up and deal with it

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
those trenches are not for placing troops. It's to slow the advance of Ukrainians while honing artillery on these areas. Since Ukrainians will have to demine first then dig up bridges across the trenches to advance making them easy targets.

Which is working because their advance on both fronts have stalled now. Especially the tactic Russia employed with Paratroopers in the south have complicated things for Ukraine as well.

Be it as it may, they're already calling it the Maginotsky Line :messenger_grinning_smiling:

FunkMiller

And among those 10,000 will likely be special forces soldiers trained by (and probably joined by) the best special forces on the planet. Which means a lot more Russian and Crimean infrastructure sites are going to meet with 'accidents'.

In 20 years, I'm going to absolutely fucking love reading all about how black ops has been carried out by Ukrainian and western forces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom