• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majukun

coo coo GIF by South Park

looks and sounds like russia's version of alex jones

tommolb

So now we know what Russia is planning to do. And it's not good.
This is Russia basically saying "we could do any, or all of these". It's a threat. It's a "if I can't have this, neither can you" tantrum.

Shame the West won't respond with a list of responses if this occurs, i.e. your Black Sea fleet is sunk, your Crimea Bridge is destroyed, your forces within Ukraine are targets for our missiles/planes, we supply even more advanced weapons to Ukraine, we close all our embassies and deport all your spies, sorry ambassadors, we move 100k additional troops to your borders etc.

I hope Ukrainian troops and the civilian population in that region have anti radiation meds and gas masks and know how to use them.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!

Wow, they're really just crashing like that?

This has to be nearing a conclusion. Russia has to have just about depleted all of their war-worthy assets, and countries like Iran can only keep selling them shitty suicide drones but for so long (and hopefully NATO starts intercepting those shipments).

Lunarorbit

This has to be nearing a conclusion. Russia has to have just about depleted all of their war-worthy assets, and countries like Iran can only keep selling them shitty suicide drones but for so long (and hopefully NATO starts intercepting those shipments).
There's reports that the Russians have been sourcing parts from domestic airlines cause they can't get the technical parts they need. Plus there was the report that China was sending them dud circuit boards

Buggy Loop

Fools idol

Banned
We're now entering the most dangerous part of this war and, quite frankly, human history as Putin is backed into a corner he can't get out from.

Let us pray to C'thullu intervention comes before he presses the button.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Seems Ukraine is doing a push for Chervonopopivka.

The town sits on the road between Kreminna and Svatove therefore liberating the town would split the front blocking reinforcements to move across the P66 from one side of the front to the other.

It seems the orcs haven't been able to claw back the terrain they lost at Bakhmut - the city is not in the clear yet, by any means, but pushing them back must have been demoralizing after 3 months trying to take over the city.

And those are the front news for today :messenger_weary:

If that wasn't enough, they also stole equipment from I am pretty sure the only oncology center in Kherson, my sources in the city told me.

Last edited:

akimbo009

Gold Member
Seems Ukraine is doing a push for Chervonopopivka.

The town sits on the road between Kreminna and Svatove therefore liberating the town would split the front blocking reinforcements to move across the P66 from one side of the front to the other.

It seems the orcs haven't been able to claw back the terrain they lost at Bakhmut - the city is not in the clear yet, by any means, but pushing them back must have been demoralizing after 3 months trying to take over the city.

And those are the front news for today :messenger_weary:

Lots of village and town clear out videos coming out too... Trend looks to be a lot of door to door stuff which is great.

And Wagner is absolutely getting mauled. I keep waiting to find the real back line that will present solid resistance but doesn't seem to be materializing or at least not in significant enough concentrations to matter. Even now Russia is way too thin fighting too many fronts.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Translated excerpts from the military manual about the invasion of Ukraine issued by the Russian Ministry of Defense. ..And as expected it's flat out pure insanity

Gp1

State media said the pilots passed out due to a botched O2 supply line/bottle in the jet. Which, even if it's true, tells us a lot about QC and combat readiness of the RUAF.

Imagine what would a Ginsu knife do to it :)

Edit

Last edited:

Nikodemos

Not wrong.... But it's maddening. Germany seems hellbent on either not standing on its own like a proper nation or "anyone but the US". They need to find their own agency, and not develop foreign policy out of petty positions.
The German government is fully and entirely beholden to industrial barons. Other governments are also heavily lobbied by their own big-business owners, but the Germans, specifically, seem completely unable to make decisions contrary to the wishes of the industrial lobby.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth

Obviously there's a lot more to it but what kills me about these sort of posts is the "need to keep a certain number in reserve..." For what exactly? The only threat to Europe was Russia and now that Russia is no more a threat than a bus full of geriatrics you may as well give as many as you can to Ukraine where they'll be put to actual use doing the world a favour killing Russians

Tams

Gold Member
Obviously there's a lot more to it but what kills me about these sort of posts is the "need to keep a certain number in reserve..." For what exactly? The only threat to Europe was Russia and now that Russia is no more a threat than a bus full of geriatrics you may as well give as many as you can to Ukraine where they'll be put to actual use doing the world a favour killing Russians
Don't be so silly and ignorant.

If course countries need to keep some in reserve. Russia don't have enough to hold Ukraine in the long run, but if they really wanted to, they could in a short war do immense damage, especially to Sweden and Finland who are not yet fully under the protection of NATO.

Any response would also require a need to strike back.

Further, while wildly improbable, war between European nations is still possible.

These vehicles don't just appear out of nowhere either.

akimbo009

Gold Member
Nope, you don't.

That's what blaming them for 80 years for WW2 gets you. Germany is paralyzed with taking a leading role in Europe's politics. I guess it's up to us to sort this mess:

France Plane GIF by Safran

Wut? It was their fault ..... Dunno what you're implying.

Anyway, they got to get their shit together. They are an active risk to Europe with the types of decisions they've been making (better lately, but yeesh).

This is Russia basically saying "we could do any, or all of these". It's a threat. It's a "if I can't have this, neither can you" tantrum.

Shame the West won't respond with a list of responses if this occurs, i.e. your Black Sea fleet is sunk, your Crimea Bridge is destroyed, your forces within Ukraine are targets for our missiles/planes, we supply even more advanced weapons to Ukraine, we close all our embassies and deport all your spies, sorry ambassadors, we move 100k additional troops to your borders etc.

I hope Ukrainian troops and the civilian population in that region have anti radiation meds and gas masks and know how to use them.
The West could do that but then WW3 would occur since those actions would be acts of war and it sucks because Ukraine is getting shat on constantly.

The West has already threatened Russia that there will be swift action to destroy their entire army in Ukraine and all foreign bases including Naval fleet if nukes are used.

Lasha

Why do we need to know this?? And spoil the element of surprise in war? So now Russians can prepare ..
Russia is already lobbing shit at Ukrainian cities without regard for Ukraine's existing interceptors. If anything, knowing Ukraine has received NASAMS will make Russia rethink some of its launches/sorties.

ItsGreat

The Shahed 136 drones that Russia uses against Ukraine cost about $20,000 each.

That's fifty of them to every $1,000,000 NASAMS middle.

Cyberpunkd

I have to say I am disappointed with Iran - after 50 years since the Islamic Revolution someone should have realized confrontation with the US serves no purpose and helps push the Saudi influence worldwide due to their alliance. I consider Saudis much worse than Iranians, so the fact Iran for absolutely no reason gave drones to Russia is...

ray donovan omg GIF by Sky

I have to say I am disappointed with Iran - after 50 years since the Islamic Revolution someone should have realized confrontation with the US serves no purpose and helps push the Saudi influence worldwide due to their alliance. I consider Saudis much worse than Iranians, so the fact Iran for absolutely no reason gave drones to Russia is...

ray donovan omg GIF by Sky
They did it to spite the western world.

nemiroff

Gold Member
The Shahed 136 drones that Russia uses against Ukraine cost about $20,000 each.

That's fifty of them to every $1,000,000 NASAMS middle.
I'm not so sure I agree with that illustration without also showing context. If they use them against drones, the cost of casualties and infrastructure is a hugely important part of the calculation. That's why you f.ex. see the Ukrainians using SAM against cheap surveillance and spotter drones. These indicated prices are not cost price, and Ukraine doesn't directly pay for these either way. Not the least NASAAMS is not the only option in the arsenal, and more are coming. If these are used against kamikaze drones now, it's only going to be a temporary solution, measures (not involving heavy SAMs) are already in an implementation process.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

You're disappointed with a backwards, medieval, religious authoritarian dictatorship for siding with the modern version of the Nazis, against the liberal west?

This is rather like being disappointed with a fly, for landing on shit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom