• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

akimbo009

Gold Member
Whoa, This could be another great push coming.

I can't imagine they'd be doing a beach landing or anything. If anything it's partisans or artillery or other firing at supply. Push them off that and keep the orcs concentrated east perhaps?

Still, Ukraine can attack it with impunity since it's now in range.

Nikodemos

Just as a small clarification, the original tweet is about a 'yenot'. That's the Russian name for the tanuki, or raccoon dog. Completely different animal from a raccoon.

Also, I really hope the Ukrainian army manages to capture the Kinburn Spit. It would allow passage of at least some ships into Nikolayev/Mykolayiv.

Last edited:

fans GIF

The biggest winner of this fight is the US, when you think about it...By supporting Ukraine the way they have, which should be saluted (their strategic interests certainly align with the aspirations of the Ukrainians), they crippled Russia for years (decades?) to come, weakened Europe (well, they have been digging their own grave, relying so much on Russia for natural resources), and sent a clear message to China, should they entertain the thought of invading Taiwan. Say what you want about the US political intelligentsia...They are master strategists...😐

Last edited:

Irobot82

The biggest winner of this fight is the US, when you think about it...By supporting Ukraine the way they have, which should be saluted (their strategic interests certainly align with the aspirations of the Ukrainians), they crippled Russia for years (decades?) to come, weakened Europe (well, they have been digging their own grave, relying so much on Russia for natural resources), and sent a clear message to China, should they entertain the thought of invading Taiwan. Say what you want about the US political intelligentsia...They are master strategists...😐
Plus the US now basically own Ukraine. This shit wasn't donated. There will be a bill in the form of natural resources.

So spent some time watching all these vids from Kherson and it is great to see the Ukrainian Army recieving such a warm welcome in Kherson. I mean lets not forget guys the people of this Oblast voted overwhelmingly to join the Russian Federation. In what was clearly totally NOT a bullshit referendum something like 189% voted to join the Russian Federation .................. hm something does not add up here. It's almost as if .......... as if ............. the referenda were complete and utter dogshit (remember that Russian Propoganda video of the woman counting blank votes, cos Pepperidge fucking farm remembers.

On another note the guys at the Chernobyl released this image

zgrhb1xeiez91.jpg

I rate this image as 3.4. not great, not terrible. The watermelon is to commemorate the freeing of Kherson since it is famous for watermelons.

Plus the US now basically own Ukraine. This shit wasn't donated. There will be a bill in the form of natural resources.

That's literally Russian propaganda. Ukraine can just give back surviving land leased weapons. There's no need to pay. This whole thing is so cheap for the US it would be dumb make it about money.

That's literally Russian propaganda. Ukraine can just give back surviving land leased weapons. There's no need to pay. This whole thing is so cheap for the US it would be dumb make it about money.

Tams

Gold Member
Oh come on, enough of this pish.

Yes, the US has strategic interests. Yes, Ukraine have theirs. As does the rest of the 'West'. Yes, NATO still exists (and now the reason why is blindingly obvious to anyone).

But the 'West' would have been fine with Russia just keeping to themselves (or ideally joining the global community; which we tried to include them in). We were even prepared to let them nibble at their neighbours (yes, partly out of fear that they were some war machine; an image Ukraine has now completely shattered). We, frankly, didn't think about Russia much at all. It's been Russia, especially Putin's, obsession with the 'West'.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member

Well, yes, war needs to be paid for.

If only we had a model of financing it, that we know would not cripple the debtors and make them subservient, while appeasing the creditors. Taking into account non-financial benefits like the defence of democracy.
We could call it some sort of 'Plan'. Perhaps name it after whoever comes up with the concept or a general who'd be instrumental in it.

Ah, well.

You almost couldn't be spreading Russian propaganda more obviously. You're mindset is very clearly like theirs, if you aren't one of them: that everything is owed and that subservience of others is expected and fine.

Last edited:

Haemi

Russia started the war, so they should pay reparations to ukraine to rebuild the country and pay back the debts ukraine had to take because of the war. Should be part of a peace contract.

Ironbunny

If I would be from Ukraine that would definitely be a price I'd be willing to pay for us to be a free modern country that isnt under control of the shitstain ruZZia. See what Germany became and what ruZZia became after WW2. LOL.

winjer

The US doesn't want a weakened Europe. Europe is the US biggest ally, in political, economical and military terms.
A weak Europe in economic terms means less trade with US, which is bad for the US. A weak Europe in military terms means a weak point in their global defense. A weak Europe in political terms means the US won't have as much political support in the global scale.
There is a reason why the US spent billions in the Marshall plan. Because a strong Europe is a strong ally to the USA. And the same with Japan and the Dodge plan.
Unlike dictatorships like Russia and China, the US does not see their relations with their allies as a zero sum game. It's strategy is to lead a strong alliance.

And the US is not managing a debt trap for Ukraine. That is complete non-sense from Russian propagandists.
Here is an example. The USA also helped Russia with weapons and equipment during WW2, for a total of 11.3B, in 1941-1945 money.
Russia repaid a total of 674M and returned some equipment. The last payment was in 2006.
So not only the USA lost a lot of money, they also allowed it to be paid very slowly.
Now I ask you, do you think Russia is grateful for the USA's help?

FunkMiller

Doesn't really require master strategists, when your opponent is a stone cold fucking moron. Of course the US benefits from the weakening of Russia, and the addition of Ukraine to NATO, but there’s no nefarious American purpose going on, especially in relation to Europe. As others have said, there’s no financial trap here. The west wants a prosperous Ukraine moving forward. The only people getting fucked financially are the Russians.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
So spent some time watching all these vids from Kherson and it is great to see the Ukrainian Army recieving such a warm welcome in Kherson. I mean lets not forget guys the people of this Oblast voted overwhelmingly to join the Russian Federation. In what was clearly totally NOT a bullshit referendum something like 189% voted to join the Russian Federation .................. hm something does not add up here. It's almost as if .......... as if ............. the referenda were complete and utter dogshit (remember that Russian Propoganda video of the woman counting blank votes, cos Pepperidge fucking farm remembers.

On another note the guys at the Chernobyl released this image

zgrhb1xeiez91.jpg

I rate this image as 3.4. not great, not terrible. The watermelon is to commemorate the freeing of Kherson since it is famous for watermelons.
memes have rules

Do they own Europe, UK and Japan?

There are plenty of issues with USA foreign policy but let's not make out that they don't have a rock solid track record when it comes to support of democracies and nation building post war.

Helping Ukraine helps everyone.

People who are still left in my hometown told me today that it's a total anarchy there, the town is located on the left bank, around 32km away from Kherson, they mentioned that barely any products are coming into town, but there is a lot of vodka coming in and the zoldiers are consuming it non-stop, people are too scared to go out on the street.

FUBARx89

Just as a small clarification, the original tweet is about a 'yenot'. That's the Russian name for the tanuki, or raccoon dog. Completely different animal from a raccoon.

Also, I really hope the Ukrainian army manages to capture the Kinburn Spit. It would allow passage of at least some ships into Nikolayev/Mykolayiv.

Russians that drunk they think they can fly like Mario if they have em.

The US doesn't want a weakened Europe. Europe is the US biggest ally, in political, economical and military terms.
A weak Europe in economic terms means less trade with US, which is bad for the US. A weak Europe in military terms means a weak point in their global defense. A weak Europe in political terms means the US won't have as much political support in the global scale.
There is a reason why the US spent billions in the Marshall plan. Because a strong Europe is a strong ally to the USA. And the same with Japan and the Dodge plan.
Unlike dictatorships like Russia and China, the US does not see their relations with their allies as a zero sum game. It's strategy is to lead a strong alliance.

And the US is not managing a debt trap for Ukraine. That is complete non-sense from Russian propagandists.
Here is an example. The USA also helped Russia with weapons and equipment during WW2, for a total of 11.3B, in 1941-1945 money.
Russia repaid a total of 674M and returned some equipment. The last payment was in 2006.
So not only the USA lost a lot of money, they also allowed it to be paid very slowly.
Now I ask you, do you think Russia is grateful for the USA's help?

I don't want to highjack a topic which should be mainly about the observed realities of the war itself, and its daily impact on the Ukrainians. It's actually indecent to theorize about it when so many lives have been destroyed...
Mea Culpa!

Last edited:

winjer

I don't want to highjack a topic which should be mainly about the observed realities of the war itself. I have my firm beliefs about what "surrounds" it, but being Moroccan, and following the major changes happening in Africa, which has become a land of conflicts opposing all the main powerful countries...I would rather live under the current Pax Americana, than under a Pax Europa anyway...
Again, I should not have derailed the topic, sorry.

As a Moroccan, you might not say that when The Ottoman empire was at your door, and the Portuguese came to help out. Remember the battle of the 3 kings?
We lost our king, D. Sebastião, trying to help your kingdom. And because of that, lost our independence to Spain for a while.

I find it curious how the Ottoman Empire for centuries oppressed, the Arabs, including North Africa. But somehow, all the blame goes to Europe.
Not to say, that Europe wasn't bad in the last century for North Africa, but still, it pales in comparison to the Ottoman rule.
There is a reason why the Arabs were so keen on joining the Triple Entente during WW1.
Now you'll remind me of the Sykes-Pycot agreement, as a betrayal, which is true. But considering the European empires felt in a few decades, it's nothing compared to centuries of Ottoman rule.

As a Moroccan, you might not say that when The Ottoman empire was at your door, and the Portuguese came to help out. Remember the battle of the 3 kings?
We lost our king, D. Sebastião, trying to help your kingdom. And because of that, lost our independence to Spain for a while.

I find it curious how the Ottoman Empire for centuries oppressed, the Arabs, including North Africa. But somehow, all the blame goes to Europe.
Not to say, that Europe wasn't bad in the last century for North Africa, but still, it pales in comparison to the Ottoman rule.
There is a reason why the Arabs were so keen on joining the Triple Entente during WW1.
Now you'll remind me of the Sykes-Pycot agreement, as a betrayal, which is true. But considering the European empires felt in a few decades, it's nothing compared to centuries of Ottoman rule.

Trying to help us? What kind of History did they teach you about that war? Man, that was funny...For your information, my friend, Morocco was the only North African country never to be occupied by the Othomans, which is why our culture is so different to the rest of them. We kept the Othomans at bay, and the major military conflict against their armies, we won.
Your troops attacked us and were wiped out, and the portuguese monarchy was literally killed after the battle...

Last edited:

akimbo009

Gold Member
Trying to help us? What kind of History did they teach you about that war? Man, that was funny...For your information, my friend, Morocco was the only North African country never to be occupied by the Othomans, which is why our culture is so different to the rest of them. We kept the Othomans at bay, and the major military conflict against their armies, we won.
Your troops attacked us and were wiped out, and the portuguese monarchy was literally killed after the battle...

Can we get back on topic? I also don't think there's a good argument for pax Europa either, considering their colonial past but that's not really relevant to today's situation.

winjer

You forget that it was the Ottomans were backing the Wattasids and that it was also the Ottomans that murdered Mohamed Al-Sheik.
It was also the Ottomans that supported the invasion of 1576 by by Al-Malik. At a time when Abu Abdallah Mohammed was Sultan.
When Abu Abdallah Mohammed lost several battles, he ran from Morocco and asked the Portuguese for help.
So Morocco became a puppet of the Ottoman Empire. Which also put in danger the trade routes of Portugal and Spain.
The battle was fought between 3 kings. On one side, Moroccan Sultan Abu Abdallah Mohammed II and Portuguese King Sebastião. On the other side, Abd Al-Malik I.

Now, I grant you that Portugal's intention was not merely to help, but to replace the Ottomans, making Morocco a puppet state.
But the fact remains, than when a Moroccan king asked for help, Portugal obliged.

But since the Abd Al-Malik won, the result was the third period of vassal state, under the Ottomans. The third time.
That concept you have that that Morocco was never under Ottoman rule, is not exactly correct, is it?
And let's also remember that Morocco had to pay tribute to the Ottomans. Starting with a gift of 100,000 gold coins to Murad III.

Last edited:
You forget that it was the Ottomans were backing the Wattasids and that it was also the Ottomans that murdered Mohamed Al-Sheik.
It was also the Ottomans that supported the invasion of 1576 by by Al-Malik. At a time when Abu Abdallah Mohammed was Sultan.
When Abu Abdallah Mohammed lost several battles, he ran from Morocco and asked the Portuguese for help.
So Morocco became a puppet of the Ottoman Empire. Which also put in danger the trade routes of Portugal and Spain.
The battle was fought between 3 kings. On one side, Moroccan Sultan Abu Abdallah Mohammed II and Portuguese King Sebastião. On the other side, Abd Al-Malik I.

Now, I grant you that Portugal's intention was not merely to help, but to replace the Ottomans, making Morocco a puppet state.
But the fact remains, than when a Moroccan king asked for help, Portugal obliged.

But since the Abd Al-Malik won, the result was the third period of vassal state, under the Ottomans. The third time.
That concept you have that that Morocco was never under Ottoman rule, is not exactly correct, is it?
And let's also remember that Morocco had to pay tribute to the Ottomans. Starting with a gift of 100,000 gold coins to Murad III.

We have different official historical readings, and I absolutely disagree that Morocco was, at any time, a vassal of the Othomans. To each their perspective, I guess. Back to the topic at hand! 😀

Last edited:

TwinB242

So whats keeping Russia from leveling Kherson like they've done to so many other cities? I imagine they've held back recently only because there are many western journalists still in the city to report on the liberation. But I feel like its only a matter of time before they start shelling from their positions on the other side of the river.

Liljagare

This is made by the Czechs. It is twin 14.5 mm Victor machine guns installed on Toyota. The organizers plan to raise $3.85 million for the production of 15 cars. So far, $80,000 has been raised.

Everybody can participate, no matter what country. It is verified, those guys already sent a tank to UA. You can help them too:

https://www.weaponstoukraine.com/kampane/viktor-mobile-air-defense-for-ukraine

Last edited:
So whats keeping Russia from leveling Kherson like they've done to so many other cities? I imagine they've held back recently only because there are many western journalists still in the city to report on the liberation. But I feel like its only a matter of time before they start shelling from their positions on the other side of the river.
That's a good question. It will look bad for Russia to bomb Kherson as it has no military or strategic purpose, in other places they could claim the shelling was part of an attack, defense or strategic target but they already destroyed everything of use in Kherson before they left. It would look as pure spite, on a city they claime to be Russia and there might be considerations in Moscow about their image. Before they could just project strength and ruthless power but the winds have shifted if the rumours of Iran pausing aid are to be believed. No one likes a sore loser.

Or they simply need the artillery they have left in working order more in other parts of the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom