• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Ukraine has no chill… they’re already on the left side of the Dnieper apparently. Exactly what happened, the extent of the activities is unclear tho.

Kerotan

Ukraine has no chill… they’re already on the left side of the Dnieper apparently. Exactly what happened, the extent of the activities is unclear tho.
I seen a video describing how hard it would be for Russia to attack the peninsula. Very interesting and I'd never have thought of this.

It seems easy to hold bye a ground force as long as they stay within artillery range. There can only be two goals here. Either hold the peninsula to distract Russia and pull more forces that way or move up the river and liberate the other side of the dam to give Ukraine a better crossing point. If they managed to establish a proper bridgehead liberating the nuclear power plant would likely happen and they could attack Melitopol from the north and West.

Cutting off support from Crimea would also be doable. Nothing might come of this but it's definitely brought an interesting new dynamic.

The Russians who retreated from Kherson probably aren't too motivated to stop them right now.

nemiroff

Gold Member

I suppose you mean they are on the right side/south of the Dnipro pushing from the left. Not sure if we're talking about the same events, but interestingly enough, despite not being well reported, ruzzia actually also retreated from areas across/south/right side of the river; Cities like Nova Kahovka. And I'm sure the Ukrainians are actively pushing other places as well.

Edit: Sorry, obviously I didn't know about the definitions of left and right bank.

Last edited:
I suppose you mean they are on the right side/south of the Dnipro pushing from the left. Not sure if we're talking about the same events, but interestingly enough, despite not being well reported, ruzzia actually also retreated from areas across/south/right side of the river; Cities like Nova Kahovka. And I'm sure the Ukrainians are actively pushing other places as well.

He means the right bank, it's confusing I know. It's based on which way the river flows.

It flows from north to south, so you have to look at it that way. That means the right bank is the side ukraine is on and the left bank is the nazi orcs.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
He means the right bank, it's confusing I know. It's based on which way the river flows.

It flows from north to south, so you have to look at it that way. That means the right bank is the side ukraine is on and the left bank is the nazi orcs.
Ah, thanks for explaining that, makes perfect sense now, I feel enlightened :) My bad Bitmap

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Makes sense. Always do the opposite of what you did last time. They consolidated after Kharkiv, and I bet the Russians thought they'd do the same after Kherson. Instead they appear to be harrying them along the banks of the river, which is good strategy, as they're not giving the orcs enough time to resettle into position - which is, I'm sure what they were expecting to be able to do. Excellent psychological warfare at play.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
Makes sense. Always do the opposite of what you did last time. They consolidated after Kharkiv, and I bet the Russians thought they'd do the same after Kherson. Instead they appear to be harrying them along the banks of the river, which is good strategy, as they're not giving the orcs enough time to resettle into position - which is, I'm sure what they were expecting to be able to do. Excellent psychological warfare at play.

It'll also be easier in Kherson.

They have far less territory to consolidate (though undoubtable more issues like Russian moles, mines, and the amount of artillery still facing them), better weather (and therefore ground), and the Russians facing them are likely in an even worse state than those that were around Kharkiv. Not to mention the morale boost of getting Kherson back. Kharkiv was no small thing, but Russia never managed to take the city itself.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

It'll also be easier in Kherson.

They have far less territory to consolidate (though undoubtable more issues like Russian moles, mines, and the amount of artillery still facing them), better weather (and therefore ground), and the Russians facing them are likely in an even worse state than those that were around Kharkiv. Not to mention the morale boost of getting Kherson back. Kharkiv was no small thing, but Russia never managed to take the city itself.

I guess the obvious strategy at this point is to push the orcs east from the whole oblast, until Crimea is cut off. The continuing push across the river certainly seems to suggest that's what they're doing. I would have liked to have seen a massive push down towards Melitopol and the coast to cut the fuckers off and grind them into paste, but if they want to pussy out and run away east, that's okay too. Cutting of Crimea one way or the other has to be a main goal, because at that point, by crikey do you have one hell of a bargaining chip.

nemiroff

Gold Member
For the sake of facts and honesty I'd like to apologize for sort-of spreading misinformation yesterday. We found out today that the "pictures of soldiers in Nova Kakhovka" was not as accurate as we thought. It was from close to Nova Kakhovka, but not inside the city itself.

Anyway, they say in the news that ruZZia sent over 100 missiles into Ukraine after Zelensky finished his speech at the G19 summit. Well, again, fuck ruZZia and the few left who supports them.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If confirmed, do you think this would trigger article 5 and NATO would join the conflict?
No of course not (I hope).
Stray misfire and rockets and so on are unfortunately normal in war. of course then Russia would have to APOLOGIZE and so on... which they will never do, so that might do it

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
No of course not (I hope).
Stray misfire and rockets and so on are unfortunately normal in war. of course then Russia would have to APOLOGIZE and so on... which they will never do, so that might do it
The chance of Russia even acknowledging that the missiles ever existed is basically zero let alone admitting that they were theirs and that they are sorry.

FunkMiller

If confirmed, do you think this would trigger article 5 and NATO would join the conflict?

Nope. It's not provable as a deliberate attack on Poland. No grounds for Art 5.

Now, were Poland to suddenly develop a much stronger defensive line along its border as a result of it... that's another story.

Last edited:

Nikodemos

Nope. It's not provable as a deliberate attack on Poland. No grounds for Art 5.

Now, were Poland to suddenly develop a much stronger defensive line along its border as a result of it... that's another story.
An armored division or so at combat readiness should do the trick.

Doczu

So apparently a Russian missile has hit Polish soil, 2 dead. All is unconfirmed, but the government and the the BIS (Bureau of Internal Security) is meeting.

So it sounds like it did drop.

EDIT: late like my wifes period.

Last edited:

vewn

If the name of the town is correct that is fucking WAY WAY WAY far away from any active bombardment zones.

How the fuck does Russia miss that badly?

The bombardment zones are all across Ukraine as the vatniks are targeting civilians and civilian infrastructure.
The cruise missiles were probably sent from Kaliningrad targeting Lviv and other big cities.

kuncol02

Banned
If the name of the town is correct that is fucking WAY WAY WAY far away from any active bombardment zones.

How the fuck does Russia miss that badly?

It's like 20km from closest town that was attacked. I would say that's quite close. There are also informations that it was earlier damaged by Ukrainian defences.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
6km from border to Ukraine

Y8FISrE.png

p5AIiCN.png

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
It's like 20km from closest town that was attacked. I would say that's quite close. There are also informations that it was earlier damaged by Ukrainian defences.
For a precision munition that is WAY off course. Even for one thats damaged.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I think we’re going to see serious NATO air defence systems deployed in Ukraine and all along the border with Russia. I don’t know if this is deliberate or really poor technology from Russia, however this is not the way to decrease NATO support to Ukraine.

TheMan

I'd be surprised if article 5 is activated. I wouldn't be surprised if all weapons are now available to Ukraine and a no fly zone is put up.
I really can’t see them activating unless aggression was unequivocal. Reality is they are not going to start a world war over 2 dead farmers (not saying that their deaths aren’t tragic)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom