• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinnergy

So whats keeping Russia from leveling Kherson like they've done to so many other cities? I imagine they've held back recently only because there are many western journalists still in the city to report on the liberation. But I feel like its only a matter of time before they start shelling from their positions on the other side of the river.
Their stock pile 🤣

irony GIF

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

The president also addressed a crowd in the city's main square, some of whom waved Ukrainian flags or wore them draped across their shoulders.
Asked where Ukrainian forces might advance next, he said: "Not Moscow... We're not interested in the territories of another country."
The president also joked he had come to Kherson because he "wanted a watermelon" - in reference to the locally-grown fruit which has become a popular Ukrainian symbol of resistance.
In response to Mr Zelensky's visit, the Kremlin said that Kherson was part of Russia.
"We leave this without comment," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said, adding: "You know, this territory is part of the Russian Federation."
Deputy Foreign Minister Alexander Grushko said Russia would not agree to withdrawing troops as a prerequisite for peace talks.

"Such conditions are unacceptable," the Russian news agency Interfax quoted him as saying on Monday.
"Our president has repeatedly said that we are ready for talks. But these talks, naturally, should take into account the situation on the ground."
Earlier Mr Zelensky said investigators had uncovered more than 400 war crimes in areas of Kherson abandoned by Russian forces as they retreated.
The BBC has been unable to verify these allegations, and Moscow denies that its troops intentionally target civilians.

TwinB242

Zelensky was within a few kilometers of the frontline and within artillery range yet he didn't care. Now thats true leadership.

Meanwhile Pootin is hiding away in a bunker somewhere, and hasn't even made a single visit to anywhere in the occupied territories.

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
lmao. Even if we weren't the most titanic military force ever even conceived, almost all of us own guns. Have fun trying to conquer Washington.
They are failing miserably at their dirty war in Ukraine and still think they could take Washington? How much fucking bath salts are they on?

akimbo009

Gold Member
lmao. Even if we weren't the most titanic military force ever even conceived, almost all of us own guns. Have fun trying to conquer Washington.

Pretty sure the US is the most titanic military force ever conceived (exception, Mongols cause... Mongols).

And this is as dellusional as the rest of the shit coming out of this country.

FunkMiller

Maybe good, maybe even more terrifying, given that now he can act even more as "I have nothing to lose"....

I‘d suggest the alternative is more likely. He is being isolated and distanced by what he thought was his closest ally. Every extra sign of weakness coming from Putin brings him one step closer to be deposed. That’s where this is headed, not nuclear war.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I‘d suggest the alternative is more likely. He is being isolated and distanced by what he thought was his closest ally. Every extra sign of weakness coming from Putin brings him one step closer to be deposed. That’s where this is headed, not nuclear war.
I wasn't directly thinking about nuclear war, Russia does destruction worthy of nuclear assault without any unconventional weapon. I mean some chemical weapons and all that shit, but hopefully I am just too skeptical.

Darius87

That's great!
But that is on the east side of the river near the dam. Are the Ukranians pushing further?
Ukrainian forces reportedly invaded the left bank of the Dnieper. In the Kherson region of the city of Oleshki, Mayor Yevhen Ryshchuk hinted that the Ukrainian armed forces had regained control of the city.

Odinnii

Yeah no.., don't know your source, but this is most likely the same fake rumor that keeps popping up on twitter all the time. It's only a week or two since last time it didn't happen.
The talks have already been confirmed
My original source was hearing about complaints from the pro Ukrainian side about not being involved

LimanimaPT

My original source was hearing about complaints from the pro Ukrainian side about not being involved
Did you read the article? It states:

"WASHINGTON, Nov 14 (Reuters) - U.S. Central Intelligence Agency Director William Burns is in Ankara to speak with his Russian intelligence counterpart to convey a message on consequences of any use of nuclear weapons by Russia, a White House official said on Monday.

"He is not conducting negotiations of any kind. He is not discussing settlement of the war in Ukraine," said the official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, adding that Burns will also raise the cases of detained Americans in Russia."

Ozriel

M$FT

The second paragraph of your link says:

"He is not conducting negotiations of any kind. He is not discussing settlement of the war in Ukraine," said the official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, adding that Burns will also raise the cases of detained Americans in Russia.

That's at odds with you claiming they're negotiating with Russia without Ukrainian involvement.

Let's not proliferate Russian propaganda, okay?

Odinnii

Did you read the article? It states:
"WASHINGTON, Nov 14 (Reuters) - U.S. Central Intelligence Agency Director William Burns is in Ankara to speak with his Russian intelligence counterpart to convey a message on consequences of any use of nuclear weapons by Russia, a White House official said on Monday.

"He is not conducting negotiations of any kind. He is not discussing settlement of the war in Ukraine," said the official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, adding that Burns will also raise the cases of detained Americans in Russia."
I know what the link said, whether you want to believe what an anonymous WH source said about the discussions of the meeting is up to you.

Fact is, a meeting between Russian and American officials took place in Ankara, Ukraine wasn't involved.

I don't get how this is Russian propaganda since non of the info about this meeting came from russian sources, as far as I know.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member

Well, that source explicitly say that there's no negotiations going on. It's about the use of nuclear weapons, just like last time. The concern has been reported in the media like forever, so it's not exactly hush-hush material. The way you're connecting unrelated dots is kinda weird and you should try to refrain from it, at least around here.

That's great!
But that is on the east side of the river near the dam. Are the Ukranians pushing further?

The ruzzians "abandoned it", like Kherson city. It has been underreported in the media for some reason:

Russian forces are evacuating the second largest city in the Kherson region of southern Ukraine as they prepare their defences along the left bank of the Dnipro River.

Pavel Filipchuk, the Kremlin-installed head of Nova Kakhovka, said that a 10-mile evacuation zone had been imposed south of the Dnipro River ahead of an expected Ukrainian attack after the Russian army’s retreat from Kherson city.

“This region is subject to mandatory evacuation because of the possibility of fighting and because every day there is an increased military presence,” said Mr Filipchuk.

“Certain military structures and fortifications are being built on this territory.”

The evacuation of Soviet-built Nova Kakhovka is significant as it lies on the left bank of the Dnipro River which Russian forces have retreated to in order to prepare a defensive line.

The city had a pre-war population of 45,000 people and lies around 35 miles upstream from Kherson city, the regional capital lying on the opposite bank of the river that Russian forces retreated from on Friday because it had become too difficult to resupply.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-n...es-city-east-kherson-bolster-defensive-lines/ (Paywalled)

We only got to suddenly know about it today because people we know in Nova Kakhovka sent us pictures of Ukrainian soldiers inside the city.

Of course, the situation is not stable enough for my mother in-law to go back and restore her home there. There's still a chance the city could become a frontline, we don't know for sure. But with the ruzzians out of the city it's worthy of happy tears for now.

Bonus story:

Ukraine has reclaimed 54 percent of the land Russia has captured since the beginning of the war

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
Talk of American/Russian negotiations in Ankara, Ukraine being left out
Because those are going to be about making sure that nuclear doesn't happen. Ukraine don't have nuclear weapons, so of course aren't involved.

Look, we know you want it to be true that the US is Ukraine's master, telling them what to do. But that simply isn't true. I can understand how such free thinking and will is hard for a Russian or Russian bootlicker to understand though.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Mind linking the original source?

The source is most likely some kind of a pro ruzzian or right wing twitter or telegram conspiracy theory that the US (the so-called "puppet master") is patronizing Ukraine by doing secret peace negotiations with the ruzzians (under the disguise of nuclear talks). This crap was then "corroborated" as a true story by taking reactions from "snubbed Ukrainians" on the same channels as some kind of evidence.

It wouldn't be the first time.

Ironbunny

The source is most likely some kind of a pro ruzzian or right wing twitter or telegram conspiracy theory that the US (the so-called "puppet master") is patronizing Ukraine by doing secret peace negotiations with the ruzzians (under the disguise of nuclear talks). This crap was then "corroborated" as a true story by taking reactions from "snubbed Ukrainians" on the same channels as some kind of evidence.

It wouldn't be the first time.

Seems to main source has been ruZZian newspaper Kommersant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom