• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommi84

Polish government held a security meeting now. We are alwaiting for some info when it finishes. Hope for the best, but if not, was nice meeting you guys :/

tommolb

Gonna be interesting to see if Russia apologies to Poland . If they do, it would prove Putin doesn't want to antagonise NATO despite everything he's said previously about it.

Even if Russia doesn't apologise, nothing significant will happen as a result of this. A few more minor sanctions maybe, a few announcements of more arms shipments, a step up of air defences in Poland, but nothing that's going to change the trajectory of the war. or NATO involvement in it.

Last edited:
This could very well also be staged by either of the sides.
Russia just wants everything to burn
Ukraine would gain MUCH MORE help if this was the case

Nah man, if Ukraine did it and they were found out (which would probably be easy with all the monitoring going on over Ukraine), all help they got would seize. You think they'd even risk that when they got the Russians on the run?

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I seriously doubt Ukraine would take that much of a risk on a false flag. That would be shooting themselves in the dick for little gain relative to what they already have going for them.

DJ12

No of course not (I hope).
Stray misfire and rockets and so on are unfortunately normal in war. of course then Russia would have to APOLOGIZE and so on... which they will never do, so that might do it
Stray missiles?

It's 60 miles away from the nearest Ukrainian target.

Thats some miss...

For a precision munition that is WAY off course. Even for one thats damaged.
One, how about 2 damaged hitting the exact same place.

This is Russia seeing if NATO really will step in or if the nuclear threats hold sway in my opinion.

Lay of the crack.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Nah man, if Ukraine did it and they were found out (which would probably be easy with all the monitoring going on over Ukraine), all help they got would seize. You think they'd even risk that when they got the Russians on the run?
I've played enough call of duty to believe anything lol.
but seriously. It is most likely just faulty rocket from Russia

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
There are now leaks of S300 rocket pieces and rumors say that it is Ukrainian air defense rocket that missed the russian rocket and failed to self destruct which is supposedly common.
So if it is Ukrainian Rocket, it really might be a faulty rocket.
But s300 can be used by Russians too to just attack. It's just a rocket anyone can use....

TwinB242

There will be no military escalation from Poland or NATO, the escalation should come in the form of more and better weapons for Ukraine.

TwinB242

There are now leaks of S300 rocket pieces and rumors say that it is Ukrainian air defense rocket that missed the russian rocket and failed to self destruct which is supposedly common.
But s300 can be used by Russians too to just attack. It's just a rocket anyone can use....

This actually appears to be accurate. Russia is clearly still at fault for firing the original missile in the first place, though

edit: They deleted the tweet for some reason. Maybe they were jumping to conclusions.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
"Rumors"?

Rumors from who? And why would you believe them over the official sources close to actual situation?

PuffyCan

Totally makes sense that air defense rocket would be directed at Poland and not the other way around where the attack is coming from.

Are you on some type of drug? The Russians fired about 100 missiles into Ukraine, while 2 of them landed in Poland.

Are you really accusing Ukraine of staging shit? Like how is that in any way shape or form a possibility? Transparency is one thing that Ukraine has that is winning the war for them. I'm not even talking about global level where trust is pretty much everything. Even on very local level just look at captured and recaptured territories. First thing Ukraine does is try to get internet and mobile service connected. Currently in Kherson you can use old sim card and any available service that was restored for free. For comparison Russia just blocks and destroys shit.

Now your theory about S300 could certainly be true (sent by Ukraine to intercept). But the blame is still on Russia because ultimately it's the reason why the rocket was launched in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Totally makes sense that air defense rocket would be directed at Poland and not the other way around where the attack is coming from.
lol cmon now. You dont know at which point of flight any of the rocket can have a failure.

Are you on some type of drug? The Russians fired about 100 missiles into Ukraine, while 2 of them landed in Poland.
And Ukrainians shot 72 of these rockets.

Are you really accusing Ukraine of staging shit? Like how is that in any way shape or form a possibility? Transparency is one thing that Ukraine has that is winning the war for them. I'm not even talking about global level where trust is pretty much everything. Even on very local level just look at captured and recaptured territories. First thing Ukraine does is try to get internet and mobile service connected. Currently in Kherson you can use old sim card and any available service that was restored for free. For comparison Russia just blocks and destroys shit.

Now your theory about S300 could certainly be true (sent by Ukraine to intercept). But the blame is still on Russia because ultimately it's the reason why the rocket was launched in the first place.
I am not.

Last edited:

LimanimaPT

Even if they are from air defense systems, the fault is still on Ruzzia.
They started this war. They lauched rockets at ukranian cities.

Nobody_Important

lol cmon now. You dont know at which point of flight any of the rocket can have a failure.
Do you know the odds of two missiles having a malfunction at the same time and landing in the same exact area is? Not only that but having two missiles have the same failures and landing multiple kilometers into Poland despite there being no heavy conflict zones anywhere near the town that was hit?

These are precision munitions. Use your brain.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Do you know the odds of two missiles having a malfunction at the same time and landing in the same exact area is? Not only that but having two missiles have the same failures and landing multiple kilometers into Poland despite there being no heavy conflict zones anywhere near the town that was hit?

These are precision munitions. Use your brain.
you use your fucking brain. What are you attacking me for you prick?!
We don't even know these are 2 missiles. There is just a picture of one exploded tractor....
And yes. Malfunctions are possible and no. The direction does not matter. Precise munition is precise until it fucking isn't because it broke.

Last edited:
I am not.
you literally said "This could very well also be staged by either of the sides."

after these 8 years of war and multiple lies from russia this statement just reads wrong. Like you could be saying that it's 99% that russia staged it and 1% that the West staged it, but that's not how it reads. like how many times could russia fuck things up for people just never to give it benefit of the doubt?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
you literally said "This could very well also be staged by either of the sides."

after these 8 years of war and multiple lies from russia this statement just reads wrong. Like you could be saying that it's 99% that russia staged it and 1% that the West staged it, but that's not how it reads. like how many times could russia fuck things up for people just never to give it benefit of the doubt?
Because it could be. I am not saying it is.
That is how brainstorming works. You put out everything on the table...

Nobody_Important

you use your fucking brain. What are you attacking me for you prick?!
We don't even know these are 2 missiles. There is just a picture of one exploded tractor....
And yes. Malfunctions are possible and no. The direction does not matter. Precise munition is precise until it fucking isn't because it broke.
I'm not attacking you. You came in talking about "rumors" you got off a random reddit about how the missiles might have been Ukrainian despite the fact it's already been said by Polish officials and US intelligence sources that the missiles are Russian.

Now you are saying we don't even know if they were missiles?

What? Yes we do.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Yeah I've already been called fat coward on twitter because I said I am polish but I don't want to go to war over potentially stray rocket.
Then people attacked me for letting ukrainians die!!!1 "you coward you are not helping!!!"
Motherfucker, our economy is in shambles, we don't even have coal and yet we still took in 7 million Ukrainians. Me dying would fucking change nothing.... god I hate the internet

Thaedolus

I wouldn't put anything past Russian criminal negligence or outright intent on sending rockets into Poland for whatever fuckery they have up their sleeves next, but with how much their equipment overlaps with Ukraine's, I think wait and see is a good approach.

Shit happens in war and this town is only a few miles off the border. Incredibly concerning no matter what the eventual source is determine to be. NATO countries getting involved would be a real game changer.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'm not attacking you. You came in talking about "rumors" you got off a random reddit about how the missiles might have been Ukrainian despite the fact it's already been said by Polish officials and US intelligence sources that the missiles are Russian.

Now you are saying we don't even know if they were missiles?

What? Yes we do.
We know this is 1 missle or 2?
And polish subreddit is better source of rumors than foreign ones. There are people posting that live nearby....
But rumors are rumors. As I've stated. And rumors don't need source

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Probably already covered, but some are saying it looks like one Russian and one Ukrainian rocket, which could mean a Russian one was shot down by Ukraine close to the border and the fallout somehow made it over.

I have a hard time seeing it being intentional, Russia doesn't want a military conflict with NATO. Not being an apologist (I'm 110% on Ukraine's side), just trying to think rationally about it.

DJ12

I wouldn't put anything past Russian criminal negligence or outright intent on sending rockets into Poland for whatever fuckery they have up their sleeves next, but with how much their equipment overlaps with Ukraine's, I think wait and see is a good approach.

Shit happens in war and this town is only a few miles off the border. Incredibly concerning no matter what the eventual source is determine to be. NATO countries getting involved would be a real game changer.
Very restrained of the Ukraine to save 2 Russian made cruise missiles to this late in the game to try and prod NATO. Surely much better to fire that shit at some Moscow infrastructure so the naive Russian populace stop drinking in the propaganda.

Do Ukraine even have a delivery platform for cruise missiles or did they just launch like a firework, stick the end in the ground and light the fuse.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Probably already covered, but some are saying it looks like one Russian and one Ukrainian rocket, which could mean a Russian one was shot down by Ukraine close to the border and the fallout somehow made it over.

I have a hard time seeing it being intentional, Russia doesn't want a military conflict with NATO. Not being an apologist (I'm 110% on Ukraine's side), just trying to think rationally about it.
Are the s300 rockets "chasing" russian rockets?
Could it be that russian rocket malfunctioned and the ukrainian air defense rocket followed it ?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Are the s300 rockets "chasing" russian rockets?
Could it be that russian rocket malfunctioned and the ukrainian air defense rocket followed it ?

Maybe, who knows. Or it was just Russian incompetence. Seems more likely than an intentional strike on NATO territory, and they wouldn't admit to either.

Thaedolus

Very restrained of the Ukraine to save 2 Russian made cruise missiles to this late in the game to try and prod NATO. Surely much better to fire that shit at some Moscow infrastructure so the naive Russian populace stop drinking in the propaganda.

Do Ukraine even have a delivery platform for cruise missiles or did they just launch like a firework, stick the end in the ground and light the fuse.
I wasn't ever suggesting that Ukraine did anything on purpose, or that it was even confirmed what the equipment was. Just that in the aftermath of something like this, initial information is usually unreliable (e.g. what type of missile(s)) and the best advice is to just wait a minute and figure out exactly what happened before jumping to conclusions. That's all I'm saying. I don't suspect a false flag.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Shocking surprise, it wasn't an air defense rocket:

Interesting.
I don't like the wording " evidence of a RU attack on Poland"... We sure we want to throw that around like that?
even if mistake, PEOPLE DIED. But it' totally different if it was intentional=attack or not...

Tams

Gold Member
Fuuuuuck 2 of the Russian cruise missiles might have landed on Poland killing 2 poles.

😳

Edited to reflect unconfirmed status

Welp, it was only a matter of time with how shit their accuracy is, and combine that with their desperation to hit Western supplies in Ukraine (near the border).

DJ12

Interesting.
I don't like the wording " evidence of a RU attack on Poland"... We sure we want to throw that around like that?
even if mistake, PEOPLE DIED. But it' totally different if it was intentional=attack or not...
Again, not only is it 3 miles from the border, it's also 50+ miles from the nearest viable Ukrainian target of lyiv.

Thats some miss...

LimanimaPT

Interesting.
Agree. I don't think this was an "attack on poland" but just a stray missile. But ruzzia should suffer somekind of consequences anyway...

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Again, not only is it 3 miles from the border, it's also 50+ miles from the nearest viable Ukrainian target of lyiv.

Thats some miss...
yeah that's a looong way.
I wouldn't even know these rockets have this much fuel to miss so much

sinnergy

What a stupid cunts, Russia . How long are we gonna put up with this shit? I don’t need to experience what my English World War 2 veteran grand father went through with Hitler ..

It’s time to put Russia and Putin in its and his place ..

Last edited:

sinnergy

You can’t even not react .. there are strict rules for this. If NATO doesn’ t react accordingly, why do we even have a NATO? It would be a Western Paper tiger ..

Putin is just playing the whole Western world . Anyone with half a brain saw this coming when he started mobilizing more than a year ago.

We are past all the talking it’s time to disarm Russia before he can spin up his complete war machine. Producing war products .

Last edited:

Catphish

Gold Member
You can’t even not react .. there are strict rules for this. If NATO doesn’ t react accordingly, why do we even have a NATO? It would be a Western Paper tiger ..

Putin is just playing the whole Western world . Anyone with half a brain saw this coming when he started mobilizing more than a year ago.

We are past all the talking it’s time to disarm Russia before he can spin up his complete war machine. Producing war products .
I think Poland should have a weighty say in how this proceeds.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

There's not gonna be a military NATO response over this if that's what you mean. It would have to be very clear that it was an intentional attack for that to happen, and I don't know if that can be proven. They're not gonna start WW3 over what might have been an incompetent mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom