• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, the Chinese have just abstained on the UN condemnation of Russia.

This is bigger than it sounds. Poison Midget Putin loves to think he’s besties with Winnie The Pooh. Not so much apparently. If the Chinese peel themselves away from him, he’s fucked. Royally and permanently fucked.

China will do what is best for China and manipulate the board for whatever puts them in the best position. If it means having Russia stuck in their back pocket they'll do it.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
If they use that shit against civilians NATO will be forced to act. The pictures that will come out will be beyond awful.

They'd need someone with balls to call the shots, which doesn't exist in this current environment. They'll wag their fingers at Putin and sanction more.

What they need to do is get a SEAL team ready with one of those stealth blackhawks they used with Bin Laden. Go in and neutralize Putin while the NATO counter attack is being launched so there's no one left to push the red button.

Sybrix

I fear this ends in all out war now.

Can the west negotiate with Russia to avert further invasions?

Can the west negotiate with China to avoid a Taiwan invasion?

I fear a scenario where its the West vs Russia/China Axis

FunkMiller

What they need to do is get a SEAL team ready with one of those stealth blackhawks they used with Bin Laden. Go in and neutralize Putin while the NATO counter attack is being launched so there's no one left to push the red button.

Given how western special forces have operated in the past, id say there’s zero chance they are not involved now.

But we’ll never know. That’s kind of the point.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

Except this shit is going to ruin Russia; absolutely cripple a flailing economy, with everyone in the country wondering WTF their crazy leader is doing.

If anything, this event may be proving that the world isn't going to stand for these actions, you will be cut off from the world economy, resources, etc.

LordCBH

China views Taiwan as belonging to them and as a part of their country, so I highly doubt we can keep China from invading and taking it. ESPECIALLY since Putin had 0 actual consequences for Ukraine.

Sybrix

Except this shit is going to ruin Russia; absolutely cripple a flailing economy, with everyone in the country wondering WTF their crazy leader is doing.

If anything, this event may be proving that the world isn't going to stand for these actions, you will be cut off from the world economy, resources, etc.

Thats my fear, the only way the west doesnt stand for these actions is direct militarily involvement that ends in all our war.

Sybrix

Fake. It was made up by a War Thunder youtuber.

article-1342305-0056B2CC00000258-186_634x497.jpg

This image was also fake.

However it instils hope and courage for the people of the country fighting invaders

Are Russian citizens also reading along here?

I would be interested in the mood/opinions of the "ordinary" russian citizen on this war.
What do you, your friends and families think about this conflict?

I ask, because from here it is extremely difficult to assess how the mood of the russian population actually is.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I feel so bad seeing them have to fight for themselves with no help. It's fucking devastating. And there's no right answer. Do you send in help and risk escalation or nuclear war? Or just sit by and let a tough scrappy kid eventually get overcome by the big bully?

I hope Putin gets his. Dude needs to be put on trial and hanged one day like the murderer he is.

Papacheeks

Banned
This is going to have a sweeping impact beyond just “Russia”. Bet.

More power and control over the “free market”

No this will weed out companies with ties to countries like china/Russia. And put control of market back into hands of the average joe and not the corrupt elite.

Too many backwards laws and channels used to funnel currency/stock throughout the world where laws in different countries make it impossible to check if it’s actually beneficial to another country like Russia/China.

RAÏSanÏa

“Money saved.” - Chechen Prez, probably
After hearing the Russians are said to value packs of cigarettes more than lives it's conceivable the valuation may be cross-cultural in that region and both would be more dismayed by the loss of the plane.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No this will weed out companies with ties to countries like china/Russia. And put control of market back into hands of the average joe and not the corrupt elite.

Too many backwards laws and channels used to funnel currency/stock throughout the world where laws in different countries make it impossible to check if it’s actually beneficial to another country like Russia/China.
While I would like this to happen, I don’t trust what’s in charge to be that noble.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Unless you can confirm it with your own eyes, i wouldn't believe it. The propaganda machine is full steam ahead on all sides. Even if it comes from what you might consider a reliable source, i'd still be skeptical.
Yeah, ever since I found out that the patriot missiles didn't shoot any (possibly a couple, maybe) SCUD missiles out of the sky, I realized that during war you literally can't trust anything. And that was in the pre-social media days.

Last edited:
Someone a number of pages back posted a response their Russian friend sent them…first off, get some better Russian friends. It’s obvious he is being fed, and happily eating, loads of bullshit.

These are some points from Zelenskyy’s message last night, and I’m sure we have seen the images…the kindergarten hit, apartments hit, a tank running over an innocent Ukrainian in his car (the Ukrainian man LIVED)….so any Russian trying to make excuses and pretend Russia doesn’t want to do anything to civilians and that only care about the military aspect of it…stop watching Russian news. And to nonchalantly say that all Ukrainians will speak Russian, anyway….sorry, but, could you tone down the doucheness a little?

LVB08OL.jpg

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Wonder if the US could pick up the slack with oil exports? Shut Russia off economically and isolate them, while the US/South America and Canada reap the oil contracts for those regions in need.
I don't think the US wants to drive our gas prices up any higher than they are. Look how much people bitch at $3.50 a gallon. Imagine if we had to bid against Europe for that oil.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Uh yeah. that's where I draw the line. We definitely have major problems here at home that that sort of money could go to.

Also, you know we ended our active wars, and increased our military budget, so... Where is that shit going exactly?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Someone a number of pages back posted a response their Russian friend sent them…first off, get some better Russian friends. It’s obvious he is being fed, and happily eating, loads of bullshit.

Its not nearly as locked down as China but they very much live in a media bubble dominated by state media. Wonder if it has to do with how many alternative news sources are readily available in Russian language.

Thaedolus

Russia has a veto vote though, don't they?
Yes. It won’t pass because they can veto, but being the only “No” and China abstaining is a pretty substantial message.

Edit

Apparently there’s a way to bypass the security council and individual member’s veto powers through a full assembly vote. If ever there was a time to make people stand up and be counted…

Last edited:

TheGrat1

So many quotes! Also: LOL @ The people who thought that picture of Putin riding a bear was real!
How ironic

They are just covering their own ass. It would be embarrassing for them to support the right of a self-declared independent region to receive help from a foreign military. They do not want that happening with Taiwan.

This is so fucking wholesome/badass. Never let anyone tell you the second amendment is useless for resisting tyranny. Large governments think otherwise.
Yeah I cannot think of a single US president that would be doing the same either going as far back as I can think of. Maybe Eisenhower would have done it? Big fucking maybe.
Eisenhower, Teddy Roosevelt, Grant, Washington. Washington was the first and last president to lead troops from the front during the Whiskey Rebellion.
Russian troops disguised as Ukranian soldiers.

Any enemy combatant caught on the battlefield out of uniform and not identified with at least an armband can be considered a spy and executed on the spot according to the Geneva convention.
If they use that shit against civilians NATO will be forced to act.
No they will not. At the end of the day thermobaric weapons are conventional bombs and not banned by any country as far as I know. The US even deployed them in wartime.
Just saw a video of a russian soldier getting killed by other russian soldiers... He was trying to protect a mom and her daughter.... The mother also died
Link, my good man.
Given how western special forces have operated in the past, id say there’s zero chance they are not involved now.

But we’ll never know. That’s kind of the point.
The only thing they would be doing in this type or battlefield is marking targets for long range guided missiles, just like in Libya. If cruise missiles start hitting Russian positions from a couple hundred kilometers away we will know they are there.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Yes. It won’t pass because they can veto, but being the only “No” and China abstaining is a pretty substantial message.

Edit

Apparently there’s a way to bypass the security council and individual member’s veto powers through a full assembly vote. If ever there was a time to make people stand up and be counted…
Yeah it signals that they are alone in this which is just as useful as the actual condemnation.

Wildebeest

Seems India has chosen to side with the alliance of shit this time.

My already low opinion of that country dropped even further.
India had a very strong relationship with Russia from the Cold War. It is only recently they have moved to be more aligned with the US.

Fluo

Are Russian citizens also reading along here?

I would be interested in the mood/opinions of the "ordinary" russian citizen on this war.
What do you, your friends and families think about this conflict?

I ask, because from here it is extremely difficult to assess how the mood of the russian population actually is.
We are very distressed. You can read my opinion in my post history.

As for the general public, it's hard to tell. Yesterday a lot of celebrities who are usually silent on political matters, came out in support of Ukraine, and it looked like it's the majority opinion. Tonight a lot of people started parroting the official version online. Would love to think they're mostly bots, but my gf actually managed to meet one of these nutjobs in person. Older people seem to buy into bs more easily, gonna find out what my parents think tomorrow. My instagram feed is anti-war, one of my friends served 11 years in the military and he's against the invasion, so there's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom