• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

chromhound

So many quotes! Also: LOL @ The people who thought that picture of Putin riding a bear was real!

They are just covering their own ass. It would be embarrassing for them to support the right of a selff-declared independent region to recieve help from a foreign military. They do not wan that happening with Taiwan.

This is so fucking wholesome/badass. Never let anyone tell you the second amendment is useless for resisting tyranny. Large governments think otherwise.

Eisenhower, Teddy Roosevelt, Grant, Washington. Washington was the first and last president to lead troops from the front during the Whiskey Rebellion.

Any enemy combatant caught on the battlefield out of uniform and not identified with at least an armband can be considered a spy and executed on the spot according to the Geneva convention.

No they will not. At the end of the day thermobaric weapons are conventional bombs and not banned by any country as far as I know. The US even deployed them in wartime.

Link, my good man.

The only thing they would be doing in this type or battlefield is marking targets for long range guided missiles, just like in Libya. If cruise missiles start hitting Russian positions from a couple hundred kilometers away we will know they are there.
It's on Reddit or the instagram of the daughter (not sure)

We are very distressed. You can read my opinion in my post history.

As for the general public, it's hard to tell. Yesterday a lot of celebrities who are usually silent on political matters, came out in support of Ukraine, and it looked like it's the majority opinion. Tonight a lot of people started parroting the official version online. Would love to think they're mostly bots, but my gf actually managed to meet one of these nutjobs in person. Older people seem to buy into bs more easily, gonna find out what my parents think tomorrow. My instagram feed is anti-war, one of my friends served 11 years in the military and he's against the invasion, so there's that.
Thanks for answering! I`m gonna read your post history. Let's all hope this nightmare will be over soon...

TheGrat1

Seems India has chosen to side with the alliance of shit this time.

My already low opinion of that country dropped even further.
India and Russia have been collaborating on weapons technology for some time now and Russia is India's largest weapons supplier. Russia badly needs their investment to develop these weapons, though, so it is not a wholly one-sided relationship. India even drew the line at the Su-57 fighter, they told Russia they are not buying because the jet was shit and that effectively ended the jet's plan for service. Russia claims they will have somewhere around 70 by 2028 but they said similar things about the T-14 tanks (2,300 planned, 200 built) and they went nowhere.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

U.S "guns are the cause of all evil, are sentient and must be abolished"

Ukraine "if you have a heartbeat and hands come get a fucking gun, we're fighting tonight!"

Yes, because both countries are in exactly the same situation, aren’t they? I don’t see the Canadians storming your border any time soon and murdering your kids. The Ukrainians need guns to defend themselves from an outside aggressor. Chuck in Wyoming doesn’t need a gun to protect himself from the type 2 diabetes.

Last edited:

Catphish

Lots of explosion sounds (nothing visible) in Kyiv at the moment.

I'm watching these streams...

Last edited:

Amiga

Seems India has chosen to side with the alliance of shit this time.

My already low opinion of that country dropped even further.

Neoliberals in the west have been attacking India for years now. India will need backing in the UN from somewhere other than the west. for the UAE the west are exiting the middle east and leaving them with Iran/China/Russia, so common sense to adjust with the times.

Apparently there’s a way to bypass the security council and individual member’s veto powers through a full assembly vote. If ever there was a time to make people stand up and be counted…
AFAIK the assembly is non-binding unlike the security council.

If this is type of aid is being provided, could help explain how bloodied the Russians have gotten.

some armies are prepared to take casualties. battles are settled on the field the old fashioned way. the Iran IRGC even actively use thousands of children as infantry cannon fodder.

So, the Chinese have just abstained on the UN condemnation of Russia.

A veto would be against their own position on Taiwan. a yes would be a rebuke of Russia. But Moscow has the veto it needs. all abstentions are positive overtures to Russia while limiting the anger of the west.

FunkMiller

A veto would be against their own position on Taiwan. a yes would be a rebuke of Russia. But Moscow has the veto it needs. all abstentions are positive overtures to Russia while limiting the anger of the west.

Every single analyst I’ve seen comment on the abstention, from ex-Russian officials, to western experts agree the abstention is a bad sign for Putin, as it shows China is not going to support him.

U.S "guns are the cause of all evil, are sentient and must be abolished"

Ukraine "if you have a heartbeat and hands come get a fucking gun, we're fighting tonight!"

Very different situations….they’re in a war, and need all the manpower they can get to defend the country they love. They’re not taking those guns to shoot up a school, a mall, because they feel like it.

Catphish

Every single analyst I’ve seen comment on the abstention, from ex-Russian officials, to western experts agree the abstention is a bad sign for Putin, as it shows China is not going to support him.
On the surface. Just because they've abstained from a vote doesn't mean they'll abstain from action one way or the other.

Yes, because both countries are in exactly the same situation, aren’t they? I don’t see the Canadians storming your border any time soon and murdering your kids. The Ukrainians need guns to defend themselves from an outside aggressor. Chuck in Wyoming doesn’t need a gun to protect himself from the type 2 diabetes.
I think the message is more that the peace we enjoy is fragile and shouldn’t be taken for granted. Having an armed population is certainly a defense against what Ukraine is facing right now. It’s a another reason no one would ever invade the US. Of course the main reason is the US military. But the point is that an armed population is difficult to conquer and control.

Modrot

Can we leave the partisan politics bullshit to one side and not try to score "points", please?

Last edited:

Porcile

China is keeping out because their whole argument for Hong Kong, Taiwan and Xinxiang hinges on their argument that sovereign nations shouldn't interfere in the affairs of other sovereign nations. If they supported a war by Russia in a country that even they recognize as a sovereign nation, then their intelligent middle class who absolutely don't war and bloodshed over Taiwan might certainly start to question their government over such issues which are basically seen as the future of China/ the CCP.

chromhound

Putin need to go
26PukUm.png

Amiga

listening to these guys is what started the mess in 1st place. Putin is in direct contact with Xi and they don't wait for smoke signals. probably filled him in at the Olympics.

Forsete

India and Russia have been collaborating on weapons technology for some time now and Russia is India's largest weapons supplier. Russia badly needs their investment to develop these weapons, though, so it is not a wholly one-sided relationship. India even drew the line at the Su-57 fighter, they told Russia they are not buying because the jet was shit and that effectively ended the jet's plan for service. They claim they will have somewhere around 70 by 2028 but they said similar things about the T-14 tanks (2,300 planned, 200 built) and they went nowhere.

Thank you for the background info.

Still, staying neutral against a lying psychopath does not sit well with me.
It will be remembered. Russia has no future with him in charge.

DeaDPo0L84

They weren't in it until they were. There have been interviews with citizens having to go home and learn how to use the very gun they were just handed cause they decided in the last few days they were now a soldier and willing to die for their country.

My comment wasn't meant to start a gun debate, it honestly is awesome to me that their own citizens are willing to jump into the fire at a moments notice as they are. I genuinely don't know what our country would do if we were in such a situation and we wouldn't UNTIL it happened, it's purely hypothetical to even have this conversation.

But out of respect of the topic I don't want to derail this into something not concerning the subject at hand.

DeaDPo0L84

Very different situations….they’re in a war, and need all the manpower they can get to defend the country they love. They’re not taking those guns to shoot up a school, a mall, because they feel like it.
This is a broad generalization of such a topic that it's simply laughable. But as I mentioned to the other person I don't want to derail this thread so yes you're right, I'm wrong, carry on.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

listening to these guys is what started the mess in 1st place. Putin is in direct contact with Xi and they don't wait for smoke signals. probably filled him in at the Olympics.

Sorry dude, but I’m going to listen to actual people with real world experience of both Russia and China, before some random guy on a gaming forum.

FunkMiller

I think the message is more that the peace we enjoy is fragile and shouldn’t be taken for granted. Having an armed population is certainly a defense against what Ukraine is facing right now. It’s a another reason no one would ever invade the US. Of course the main reason is the US military. But the point is that an armed population is difficult to conquer and control.

The peace and security of the US is clearly not fragile. At all.

Vestal

They weren't in it until they were. There have been interviews with citizens having to go home and learn how to use the very gun they were just handed cause they decided in the last few days they were now a soldier and willing to die for their country.

My comment wasn't meant to start a gun debate, it honestly is awesome to me that their own citizens are willing to jump into the fire at a moments notice as they are. I genuinely don't know what our country would do if we were in such a situation and we wouldn't UNTIL it happened, it's purely hypothetical to even have this conversation.

But out of respect of the topic I don't want to derail this into something not concerning the subject at hand.
I am pro gun restrictions and regulation. Don't own a single firearm, but have considered purchasing one for the range. But I can tell you that the moment something like that happens here I would be the first in line to pick up a rifle and defend my country.

What you are seeing from these people, is Patriotism and love of country. Regardless of the difference we have or think we have in the US, the majority of us love this country and will defend it to our dying breath.

Papacheeks

Banned
The real question, is Putin dumb enough to push beyond Ukraine into NATO sponsored territory?

No.

He knows now that China is not backing them. They are on their own and if we get in Japan can join and NATO. They don’t want that. Hence why they are not really setting up long term bases and trying to get to capital quickly.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I am pro gun restrictions and regulation. Don't own a single firearm, but have considered purchasing one for the range. But I can tell you that the moment something like that happens here I would be the first in line to pick up a rifle and defend my country.

What you are seeing from these people, is Patriotism and love of country. Regardless of the difference we have or think we have in the US, the majority of us love this country and will defend it to our dying breath.
Same. I too am pro-gun regulation, BUT NOT banning. I think you will find few Americans that wish to actually ban all guns completely. And if a hell-bent army was actually killing civilians on my home streets, you damn well bet I'd grab the family shotgun and begin preparing what I could. It's not even just love of country for me. It is love of the common man/woman when facing oppression.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member

Did you buy a gun in 2020 during the riots we had when trump was trying to overthrow the government and police were harassing innocent protesters and innocent folk?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom