• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorav

Supposedly putin has only sent in 1/3 of the troops so far. He’s waiting for his men to capture an airport near the capital before he dumps half of the platoons on Kyiv. Fortunately the ukranians have been able to hold them off.

Given his losses, i am not sure he wants to commit more men as Ukraine is showing strong defiance and slowly gaining support. The initial thought of them bending over and surrendering is long gone. I'm hopeful of a Russian retreat as Ukraine continues its defence with increasing support from the west.

sinnergy

Supposedly putin has only sent in 1/3 of the troops so far. He’s waiting for his men to capture an airport near the capital before he dumps half of the platoons on Kyiv. Fortunately the ukranians have been able to hold them off.
Yes . This can be a known Russian tactic..

Last edited:
For those interested, people that say that this situation is a very very sensitive one and are looking for answers, I've found the following information:

US and Ukraine opinion on the fight against glorification of Nazism - UN (1)
US and Ukraine opinion on the fight against glorification of Nazism - UN (2)

Remember when people said that the US meddled with Ukraine's internal affairs? Here and here

This still doesn't justify an invasion, it simply doesn't. But maybe these type of things were the basis for it? I keep thinking this is not as simple as Putin wanting to create his own USSR, but still, it is what it is. I just hope things end soon and Ukrainian people go back to peace.

Don't come calling me a Putin apologist, once again, I'm condemning every action Russia is doing here and I fucking hate Putin. I don't know if I can post this here, but for those interested, here it is.

Last edited:
Given his losses, i am not sure he wants to commit more men as Ukraine is showing strong defiance and slowly gaining support. The initial thought of them bending over and surrendering is long gone. I'm hopeful of a Russian retreat as Ukraine continues its defence with increasing support from the west.
I hope all the other countrys oppose to Russian aggression send Ukraine all the best weapons & supplies they need
Ukraine has the troops it the weapons and supply that they need to continue to fight

Cleared_Hot

Biden watching* Americans in caskets being unloaded off a C17 from Kabul versus Zelenskyy today in Kyiv. What a fucking contrast.
O0DX8wt.png

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

I keep thinking this is not as simple as Putin wanting to create his own USSR, but still, it is what it is. I just hope things end soon and Ukrainian people go back to peace.
It really is that simple. Russia sees NATO as an aggressive force, not a defensive alliance. Hence it doesn’t want any NATO country bordering it out of fear an attack can come from there.

Which is true Russian manner is hilarious since Russian enclave of Kaliningrad has Russian rockets stationed no problem and that right next to Poland and Baltic states.

sinnergy

It really is that simple. Russia sees NATO as an aggressive force, not a defensive alliance. Hence it doesn’t want any NATO country bordering it out of fear an attack can come from there.

Which is true Russian manner is hilarious since Russian enclave of Kaliningrad has Russian rockets stationed no problem and that right next to Poland and Baltic states.
Russia didn’t went into the 21st century instead they hold onto the past .. this for people , countries is always bad . You have to keep moving forward.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

My absolute disgust with the EU grows every single day of this conflict. Their gross cozying up to Russia for the past decade, becoming more and more reliant on Russian gas supplies is one of the main reasons this war is happening. And now the likes of Germany are blocking harder sanctions because they worry it will hurt their economy.

Cleared_Hot

Biden forcing us to becoming energy Dependent on Russia, along with Germany shutting down nuclear energy (by far the most safe and effecient) and going predominantly dependent on Russia for natural gas... Like Wtf you have him all the leverage you needed. These sanctions won't do shit

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
My absolute disgust with the EU grows every single day of this conflict. Their gross cozying up to Russia for the past decade, becoming more and more reliant on Russian gas supplies is one of the main reasons this war is happening. And now the likes of Germany are blocking harder sanctions because they worry it will hurt their economy.
Well said.

But you know how it goes. Money first. Got to keep up that standard of living.

Germany and Italy be like: "Whew, thank god there's a big mass of Eastern European/Baltic countries in between us and Russia"

FunkMiller

Politics? It's just comparing us leader to Ukraine... No different than comparing Ukraine leader to Russia leader. Just admit it hurt your feelings.

I’m not American, so my feelings aren’t hurt.

Just a bit fed up with so many of you constantly using this thread to score points against Sleepy Joe… while happily ignoring all the pro-Putin shit Trump has said and done.

Cleared_Hot

Well said.

But you know how it goes. Money first. Got to keep up that standard of living.

Germany and Italy be like: "Whew, thank god there's a big mass of Eastern European/Baltic countries in between us and Russia"
Yeah the fact that Germany is closing nuclear plants for Russian natural gas is fucking absurd. Trump brought it up near the end of his term and got shit on for it, HE WAS RIGHT. Tf did they think all this leverage would lead to?! We were energy independent and now we pay Russia fucking billions, they're our number one supplier of oil. Wtffff kind of tactic was that? That Putin would just be like aw that's so nice okay I won't invade Ukraine anymore.

Cleared_Hot

I’m not American, so my feelings aren’t hurt.

Just a bit fed up with so many of you constantly using this thread to score points against Sleepy Joe… while happily ignoring all the pro-Putin shit Trump has said and done.
I happen to serve so no I'm not scoring points and yes seeing Joe do that to my fellow service members hurt. Seeing this president stand side by side is fucking inspiring. Leaders Lead.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah the fact that Germany is closing nuclear plants for Russian natural gas is fucking absurd. Trump brought it up near the end of his term and got shit on for it, HE WAS RIGHT. Tf did they think all this leverage would lead to?! We were energy independent and now we pay Russia fucking billions, they're our number one supplier of oil. Wtffff kind of tactic was that? That Putin would just be like aw that's so nice okay I won't invade Ukraine anymore.
I don't follow country by country energy strategies, but if Germanty already had nuclear energy, why anyone would shut it down is crazy (unless they were in such bad shape). It's clean, stable and prices dont fluctuate. Ok, is there risk of a Chernobyl and everyone in a 100 mile radius turns to zombies? I guess so. But worth the risk to me

I totally get it that nuclear energy isn't for every country because you need a shit load of money, expertise and time to build one. But you'd think Germany would be a country with enough resources to maintain nuclear plants safe and effectively.

CGiRanger

Banned
We in the USA are doing this stupid shit as well.

Cleared_Hot

I don't follow country by country energy strategies, but if Germanty already had nuclear energy, why anyone would shut it down is crazy (unless they were in such bad shape). It's clean, stable and prices dont fluctuate. Ok, is there risk of a Chernobyl and everyone in a 100 mile radius turns to zombies? I guess so. But worth the risk to me

I totally get it that nuclear energy isn't for every country because you need a shit load of money, expertise and time to build one. But you'd think Germany would be a country with enough resources to maintain nuclear plants safe and effectively.
That risk has been so unbelievably blown out of proportion. Literally Google safest energy source: it's nuclear.

And yeah they shut down 3/6 in just a matter of months in Germany with plans to shut down the rest but the years end and they'll then be 60-70% dependent on Russian natural gas. And here we are literally protecting Germany with multiple bases there.

sinnergy

It’s because of the waste .. which is pollution. You can store it , but it stays radioactive for to long .. you need new nuclear tech ; like nuclear fusion .. but they won’t invest .

Last edited:
Ukraine never had any intention to invade Russia. Even if Ukraine joined Nato, do you think other nations would support Ukraine going after Russia ? Nato never had any ambition against Russia. The proof is right here. Nato had the perfect excuse to attack Russia : save ukrain's innocent lives. But even now they do nothing. They have no ambition towards Russia. Russia however have proven time and time again that they like attacking their neirbors. They have also demonstrate the necessity of NATO to defend against Warmongering Russia. Anyone buying into the nato encroching towards Russia speech is buying into Russia's prpaganda. They only give the impression that they are encroching towards Russia because more and more are joining Nato to defend themselves against Putin the warmongerer.
No but they wanted Chrimea back which RU took away from Ukraine. Putin feared that once Ukraine joins NATO, they can start planning to get back Chrimea back with help of NATO or allow close access to American military to Russian borders. Remember American military and missile are deployed in almost every NATO country and RU was against it.

Russia asked US to give full assurance not to make Ukraine part of NATO but Biden said NO and we will consider them making part. So Putin got more pissed by West response i guess.

And i don't think America will ever let Mexico give access to Russian or Chinese military or get them close to American borders. Russia see America as their main Rival, thought of America coming right next to the border is very uncomfortable for them i guess. Also when it comes to invading countries America is ahead of everyone, remember Iraq, Afghanistan and Vietnam? . Both countries got dark history of unwanted military invasions. So they both dont like their borders to be threatened.

That's said Im fully against what RU doing to innocent Ukrainians

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Because Fukushima scared them and they thought the might get hit by a, err, tsunami too.

No but they wanted Chrimea back which RU took away from Ukraine. Putin feared that once Ukraine joins NATO, they can start planning to get back Chrimea back with help of NATO or allow close access to American military to Russian borders. Remember American military and missile are deployed in almost every NATO country and RU was against it.

What missiles "are deployed in almost every NATO country"? I know a thing or two about this and I don't know of any since the IRBMs (Ie. Pershing II) were removed in the '90s.

Only the verifiably insane (ie. Putin) actually think the US will base Tomahawks in Poland and Romania at the AEGIS Ashore sites -- which is an integrated defensive missile system that is only effective against IRBMs like that from Iran. The US even offered to let the Russians inspect the sites. But, alas, there is no logic in this.

Last edited:

Cleared_Hot

It’s because of the waste .. which is pollution. You can store it , but it stays radioactive for to long .. you need new nuclear tech ; like nuclear fusion .. but they won’t invest .
Bro, it's the least wasteful by a large margin. But don't take my word for it.

Giving Russia their way with stating Ukraine can never join NATO makes Russia de facto in charge of its foreign affairs. Next there will be demands similar to what China does with Taiwan, demanding they be expelled from the UN and no countries can have diplomatic relations with the rebellious province.

What missiles "are deployed in almost every NATO country"? I know a thing or two about this and I don't know of any since the IRBMs (Ie. Pershing II) were removed in the '90s.

Only the verifiably insane (ie. Putin) actually think the US will base Tomahawks in Poland and Romania at the AEGIS Ashore sites -- which is an integrated defensive missile system that is only effective against IRBMs like that from Iran. The US even offered to let the Russians inspect the sites. But, alas, there is no logic in this.
Ya i guess not every but there are 7 to 10 EU countries with American military bases (Google it) and all of them close to Russia and Ukraine right at the Border.

What Russia is doing is wrong and Putin should be held accountable for it, but America is no different and should be the last country to criticize Russia over invading other countries coz if we look at history then America also invaded multiple countries.

Both Russia and America leadership got no respect of innocent civilians and sovereignty of other countries.

I really hope this bloodshed stops and Putin leaves Ukraine alone and also want America not to keep pushing Ukraine into NATO.

Bragr

Banned
The Ukrainian military says they killed 3500 russians so far. That's a lot of people in 2 days.

Last edited:
The Ukrainian military says they killed 3500 russians so far. That's a lot of people in 2 days.
That a lot in this day and age but back in WW2 days the death toll in like a day of fighting exceed 100K it crazy if you think about it

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Hate to be these guys right now. russian saboteurs have been running rampant in Kyiv, dressing as cops, assault military units, the ukranians have killed many of them.

These guys were captured, but since they don't wear uniforms, they don't go under the rules of war, they don't have much rights.

YT-6QWRBHXHB5WHgqP2rRgch4QCI_2xkwUkdJYL2pHkA.jpg

Wildebeest

British ministry of defence spokesman on the BBC breakfast show has big "thoughts and prayers" energy. Apparently we should brace ourselves for something bigger than a regular nothing news story that seems huge, but we all forget about in a couple of days. It is going to be a real sickener with imagery that brings the reality of war home to us.

Not many laughs in this. Strangely, he didn't mention how intelligent and lucid Putin is and how you have to respect how he is playing us all for fools with his mastery of global affairs.

FunkMiller

Because Fukushima scared them and they thought the might get hit by a, err, tsunami too.

Read something a while back suggesting Russians were actively engaged in putting a negative spin on nuclear power as a viable option. Putin has basically played the EU like a fucking fiddle for years.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Read something a while back suggesting Russians were actively engaged in putting a negative spin on nuclear power as a viable option. Putin has basically played the EU like a fucking fiddle for years.
contrast to the Putin now. We will nuke you if you look at us funny.

cormack12

Gold Member
There were some suggestions yesterday that Putin might only want to take everything east of the river, to give him land borders with Crimea again

CrimeamapWEB.png

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

Ukraine are putting up an impressive defense. Russia has the numbers, but this is going to be a bloody and long war of attrition unless NATO gets its act together and thinks of a way to end this war quickly.

MadAnon

Great to wake up and see Kyiv is still under ukrainian control. Checked r/combatfootage and there are videos of russian military looting stores for food and some armored vehicles stuck on highways out of gas. It looks like the military "might" of russian army was greatly exaggerated? Seems like they are struggling to supply their troops.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Ukraine are putting up an impressive defense. Russia has the numbers, but this is going to be a bloody and long war of attrition unless NATO gets its act together and thinks of a way to end this war quickly.
The interview with the British MoD I watched made it clear that this was copium. NATO is a defensive pact. People would be way more upset if the US/UK declared war on Russia than they will be watching the story unfold.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
If nato gets involved. Then this war will go longer faster and harder.

FunkMiller

Putin clearly thought he’d roll into Kyiv like the Taliban rolled into Kabul. I‘m taking some pleasure in the idea the cunt is starting to learn he’s up against a bunch of mad fuckers who will slaughter every pissant Russian soldier they can, before they die.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom