• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyberpunkd

Although his regime has rewritten history to make portray Stalin in a positive light, that's not who he admires the most. That would be Alexandre II.
Putin is not a communist, above all, he is an imperialist.
You mean like every Russian ruler since time immemorial?

winjer

Gold Member
You mean like every Russian ruler since time immemorial?

I meant Imperial as in the Tsarist sense. Not the authoritarian sense. Putin has a great admiration for Alexander II.
Russia has always been an authoritarian state. Even today, it still has so many similarities to a feudalistic rule hierarchy.
But it has changed from an Imperialistic state centered on the Tsar. To a communistic state, centered on the party. And now to Fascist dictatorship, centered on Putin.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth

go the Brits, its absolutely deplorable that we are not sending longer range bigger missiles to Ukraine, so what if they strike into Russia, the Ukrainians aren't cunts like the Russians and wouldn't waste missiles striking hospitals or civilian infrastructure, that's a total waste of a missile but they should be able to strike deep into Crimea and Russia at staging grounds and supply depots. Hopefully this gets the go ahead.

Kerotan

This is a war. Not the latest season of your favourite Netflix show.

Take a look at the timescales of other wars. They all follow the same pattern: a long period of nothing, followed by a short period of everything. It takes a lot of time to organise manpower and equipment. The weather plays a massive part. And the Russians have been bleeding heavily for months. That’s the point.
I know it's just depressing as someone reading up daily hoping to hear Russia getting fucked. We've got what 6 months ahead of hard ground. I hope Ukraine make serious grains because come November they'll be back into hibernation/defensive mode for thee winter/ spring.

Kerotan

go the Brits, its absolutely deplorable that we are not sending longer range bigger missiles to Ukraine, so what if they strike into Russia, the Ukrainians aren't cunts like the Russians and wouldn't waste missiles striking hospitals or civilian infrastructure, that's a total waste of a missile but they should be able to strike deep into Crimea and Russia at staging grounds and supply depots. Hopefully this gets the go ahead.
The worst part is Ukraine can't even strike deep into Luhansk or Donetsk never mind Crimea. Luhansk city for example is a major logistics distribution centre support the entire Donbass war effort and it's a safe haven for Russia.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I know it's just depressing as someone reading up daily hoping to hear Russia getting fucked. We've got what 6 months ahead of hard ground. I hope Ukraine make serious grains because come November they'll be back into hibernation/defensive mode for thee winter/ spring.

Don’t create unrealistic expectations for yourself or it’ll be worse.

I’ll be happy if they can open a path to the Sea of Azov, isolating Crimea and Kherson oblast from supplies which would allow them slowly grind them down. Specially because they would have a straight shot at the bridge and at any ship attempting to reach the right shore, denying Russia the shortest naval route.

Donbas is a proper can of worms however. Closeness to Mordor means disrupting supply is very hard and the old battle lines (pre invasion) are mega-fortified.

FunkMiller

Don't forget that part of this is a deliberate effort by NATO to bleed Russia of its man power and equipment. One massive battle that turns the tide for Ukraine may be great for a short term victory, but we want Russia on its fucking knees, so they can never mount any kind of attack again. The longer this goes on, the harder it will be for Putin to ever attack Ukraine again, or any other country. And the weaker Russia will become.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Don't forget that part of this is a deliberate effort by NATO to bleed Russia of its man power and equipment. One massive battle that turns the tide for Ukraine may be great for a short term victory, but we want Russia on its fucking knees, so they can never mount any kind of attack again. The longer this goes on, the harder it will be for Putin to ever attack Ukraine again, or any other country. And the weaker Russia will become.
You are probably correct, but seems odd that Ukraine would be cool with a war of attrition and I'm not actually sure destabilizing Russa entirely is all that great from a long term perspective. Kinda like picking off dictators in the ME, the end result of lawlessness usually doesn't end with a Western friendly, humanitarian based, ethical government. And Russia has nukes....

Kerotan

I'm sure countries like Georgia and Kazakhstan would be happy with that outcome..I just pray they can take Melitopol and blow the kherch bridge again. It would take so much logistics to keep Crimea supplied and that effort may open an opportunity to retake Donetsk and Luhansk.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
You are probably correct, but seems odd that Ukraine would be cool with a war of attrition and I'm not actually sure destabilizing Russa entirely is all that great from a long term perspective. Kinda like picking off dictators in the ME, the end result of lawlessness usually doesn't end with a Western friendly, humanitarian based, ethical government. And Russia has nukes....

Ukraine is playing a strategy of grinding down the russians by constantly getting favorable kill rations and are more than happy to slowly bleed them. Last years Kherson offensive played out like this: initial big offensive to smash a line of defense and crack open the lines (which was very costly for ukrainians) then once it was done, slowly bleed them by accelerated attrition. Splitting the front in half and reaching the shores of Azov would essentially allow them to repeat that playbook to clear out zaporizhia, kherson and crimea. They feel they have allies who won't waver and feel comfortably playing the long game, leaving the high casualty shock attacks to the russians. While they would like to end this soon, at the end of the day they share frontier with russia and the more russia bleeds the safer they will be as well.

That's speculation on my part tho.

oh no toilet GIF by Poo~Pourri

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth

I'm at loss how the Russians are allowing this to happen, they're at war and airing their dirty laundry for the whole world to see, it beggars belief that an army in this day and age would put up with this, not only is it demoralising for your troops to see this shit play out but it's embarrassing af and simply shows you to be nothing but amateurs (which we all know they are) how Putin is allowing this or for what reason escapes me

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Ukraine is playing a strategy of grinding down the russians by constantly getting favorable kill rations and are more than happy to slowly bleed them. Last years Kherson offensive played out like this: initial big offensive to smash a line of defense and crack open the lines (which was very costly for ukrainians) then once it was done, slowly bleed them by accelerated attrition. Splitting the front in half and reaching the shores of Azov would essentially allow them to repeat that playbook to clear out zaporizhia, kherson and crimea. They feel they have allies who won't waver and feel comfortably playing the long game, leaving the high casualty shock attacks to the russians. While they would like to end this soon, at the end of the day they share frontier with russia and the more russia bleeds the safer they will be as well.

That's speculation on my part tho.
Agreed, this is battle has done wonders for Ukraine whilst extolling a heavy toll on the Russians, the entire front line is a wasteland of destroyed towns and villages, keeping the orcs locked to this line and in particular Bakhtmut saves other towns and villages from getting destroyed and makes Russia concentrate it's forces in a place favourable to Ukraine

winjer

Gold Member
This bickering among Russian armies reminds me of how the Japanese Navy and Army were antagonistic to each other. Which helped the US a lot in defeating Imperial Japan.
So I can only hope Russians continue to backstab each other, like the savages they really are.

FunkMiller

I'd imagine, that when it comes, the counter offensive is going to be absolute hell on earth for the Russians. I struggle to see any way in which it won't be for them. Even if they get extraordinarily lucky, and successfully place the bulk of their forces in the right place, where the counter attack is, they still to contend with what will be sent against them.

And right now, none of us (rightly) know what that'll be. The amount of disinformation flying around is enormous. Do the Ukes have a lot of Abrams? Don't know. Do they have ATACMS? Don't know. Do they have clear and accurate intel of Russian movements, defences and equipment? Don't know. Will they mount a blitzkrieg/D-Day style attack on a single front, or make multiple forays across the board to expose weaknesses that can be exploited by highly manoeuvrable forces? Don't know.

It's going to be fascinating to see how it plays out, as it could be anything from an absolute rout, to a surprisingly strong defence thanks to lots of Russian bodies - that requires much more effort, equipment and manpower to get through.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

The one thing the Ukrainians do not want is Russia being able to have a go at this again in five or ten years. They want them weak enough for them to have enough time to successfully and fully join NATO. I'm sure they'd rather get this over and done with as quickly as possible, but they know what happens when Russia isn't soundly whipped - they come back again.

There's also a political dimension in America to play out, wherein a change of administration *could* markedly alter the way the US deals with this conflict, so odds are on that those currently in charge in Ukraine and NATO want to make sure Russia is fucked before that potentially happens.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
The one thing the Ukrainians do not want is Russia being able to have a go at this again in five or ten years. They want them weak enough for them to have enough time to successfully and fully join NATO. I'm sure they'd rather get this over and done with as quickly as possible, but they know what happens when Russia isn't soundly whipped - they come back again.
Well, IMHO a far better option would be a regime change in Russia to eliminate the threat, rather than physically grinding Russia into poverty and oblivion. That would just open up the country to insane extortion and there are lots of dangerous things lying around. Don't know that I would want China buying up the entire Russian Navy and all their nukes, for example. Unless we (the West) are prepared to move in to establish order and remold the country I'd rather they not collapse into chaos.
There's also a political dimension in America to play out, wherein a change of administration *could* markedly alter the way the US deals with this conflict, so odds are on that those currently in charge in Ukraine and NATO want to make sure Russia is fucked before that potentially happens.
If American support is all that is keeping Ukraine in the fight, rather than European support, is that really ideal? This is CLEARLY a european concern, not so much ours (had we a different administration we could probably be profiting MASSIVELY off this conflict, selling arms as well as energy/food to shore up all of our economic woes in the process). I'd rather see the EU get their shit together and take care of their own regional issues. The days when we wanted a weak Europe so they could actually go more than a decade without fighting internally are over, we need to collect the rent.

I suspect in 100 years, with perspective, these events will draw a clear line to bad things and future folks will be sitting there saying "wasn't this OBVIOUS?" just like we do for pre-WW1 events.

treemk

Banned

Russia has only become stronger, Ukraine has zero chance to weaken them. Russia doesn't want to have to do this again in 10 years either which unfortunately incentivizes them to push to the Polish border. We'll see what they decide to do when the ground dries up.

FunkMiller

Well, IMHO a far better option would be a regime change in Russia to eliminate the threat, rather than physically grinding Russia into poverty and oblivion. That would just open up the country to insane extortion and there are lots of dangerous things lying around. Don't know that I would want China buying up the entire Russian Navy and all their nukes, for example. Unless we (the West) are prepared to move in to establish order and remold the country I'd rather they not collapse into chaos.

If American support is all that is keeping Ukraine in the fight, rather than European support, is that really ideal? This is CLEARLY a european concern, not so much ours (had we a different administration we could probably be profiting MASSIVELY off this conflict, selling arms as well as energy/food to shore up all of our economic woes in the process). I'd rather see the EU get their shit together and take care of their own regional issues. The days when we wanted a weak Europe so they could actually go more than a decade without fighting internally are over, we need to collect the rent.

I suspect in 100 years, with perspective, these events will draw a clear line to bad things and future folks will be sitting there saying "wasn't this OBVIOUS?" just like we do for pre-WW1 events.

Yes, unfortunately where America leads, others follow. In the case of a lot of other NATO members, only when they are forced into it. And no, it isn't ideal out of all the major NATO members, only America and the UK have mounted a full throated backing of Ukraine since the beginning. I'm right with you in wishing the EU would take more of a central, stronger role in this conflict, but everything seems to have to be dragged out of them - not least because of how much they've managed to tie themselves to Russia in the recent past, thanks to a very shortsighted amount of greed and poor political nous.

You would hope that once this conflict does resolve itself, hopefully successfully, it will have provided the EU with a much needed kick up the arse about the actual geo political state of the world, instead of the one they created in their heads.

FunkMiller

Russia has only become stronger, Ukraine has zero chance to weaken them. Russia doesn't want to have to do this again in 10 years either which unfortunately incentivizes them to push to the Polish border. We'll see what they decide to do when the ground dries up.

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

The Russians aren't going to be mounting any kind of offensive when the ground dries up. Are you watching the news in a parallel reality?

winjer

Gold Member

Quite the opposite, Russia today, is much weaker than before the war.
Their army has been significantly reduced, to the point of them lacking precision missiles, modern tanks, etc.
The economy is drastically reduced, most of their industrial output has shifted to weapon manufacturing. The rest of the industry is in shambles.
Russia has to sell oil and gas at a discount to only a handful of countries.
They no longer have access to western chips, except through the black market, in limited numbers and much more expensive.
Russia list of friendly countries has drastically reduced. Not even China supports Russia in this war. The only notable country is Iran.
The votes in the UN show almost everyone voting against Russia. A few abstained. And very few vote for Russia.
Russia had one of the worst demographics in the world, with a population shrinking very fast. And this war accelerated that even further.
Thousands of Russian men have already died. Many more have fled Russia to avoid conscription.

Braag

Yes, not non propagandized news
At least let us in your sources.
Though if the source comes from a country like Russia where if you walk into the streets and say "this war is bad" and they immediately arrest you, I wouldn't take much stock into their media either.

winjer

Gold Member
At least let us in your sources.
Though if the source comes from a country like Russia where if you walk into the streets and say "this war is bad" and they immediately arrest you, I wouldn't take much stock into their media either.

His sources starts with a "P", ends with "in". And rimes with "putain".

treemk

Banned
Quite the opposite, Russia today, is much weaker than before the war.
Their army has been significantly reduced, to the point of them lacking precision missiles, modern tanks, etc.
The economy is drastically reduced, most of their industrial output has shifted to weapon manufacturing. The rest of the industry is in shambles.
Russia has to sell oil and gas at a discount to only a handful of countries.
They no longer have access to western chips, except through the black market, in limited numbers and much more expensive.
Russia list of friendly countries has drastically reduced. Not even China supports Russia in this war. The only notable country is Iran.
The votes in the UN show almost everyone voting against Russia. A few abstained. And very few vote for Russia.
Russia had one of the worst demographics in the world, with a population shrinking very fast. And this war accelerated that even further.
Thousands of Russian men have already died. Many more have fled Russia to avoid conscription.
It's you who are living in opposite day.
Russia has mobilized an army of 300-500k combat ready troops.
They regularly are hitting Ukraine with missiles and Ukraine's air defense has been reduced to near zero (according to the new Russia was supposed to to run out of missiles a year ago).
Russia's economy is booming, they have access to chips via China, and outside of North America and Eastern Europe most of the world is happy to do business them them.
Russia has lost probably less than 100k men in this war and Ukraine has lost probably over 300k, whatever new equipment has now for their so called counter offensive it's significantly less equipment, less men, and far less trained men than they had last year.

FunkMiller

They regularly are hitting Ukraine with missiles and Ukraine's air defense has been reduced to near zero (according to the new Russia was supposed to to run out of missiles a year ago).
Russia's economy is booming, they have access to chips via China, and outside of North America and Eastern Europe most of the world is happy to do business them them.
Russia has lost probably less than 100k men in this war and Ukraine has lost probably over 300k, whatever new equipment has now for their so called counter offensive it's significantly less equipment, less men, and far less trained men than they had last year.

You big loon.

Ironbunny

Yes, not non propagandized news

Where can we see those?

wtf is this?

winjer

Gold Member

They mobilized more cannon fodder, with little to no training, equipped with AK-Ms and shovels. And this will only reduce the Russian birth rate.
The Ukrainian air defense is still holding, taking down most Russian missiles. And Russia was never able to dominate the air space in this war.
Russia economy is made up by what Putin tells the Federal State Statistics Service to write. All of it is fabrication. The industrial output in Russia has fallen of a cliff in several sectors, except weapons manufacturing.
The chips made in China are of lower quality, more expensive, because they know Russia has no alternatives. It got so bad, that Russia is buying washing machines from Kazakhstan, so they can take out the chips and use them in the few weapons they can produce.
Your number are very wrong. Something tells me you are writing this from a Khrushchevka, saying how the west is so bad, while using western tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom