• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Is this fake too, then?

Russia’s FSB security service has opened a criminal case for armed mutiny against Wagner Yevgeny Prigozhin after the mercenary chief declared war on the Russian military leadership, in an unprecedented escalation of infighting among Russia’s elite.

Last edited:

Forsete

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth

I mean, is it phy-ops? Internal power play? Outright lies or is it for once the actual fucking truth out of a Russians mouth

Sakura

Does Wagner even have the ability to fight Russia? Don't they get all their equipment and shit from Russia in the first place?

Tams

Does Wagner even have the ability to fight Russia? Don't they get all their equipment and shit from Russia in the first place?

Well, they seem more organised than most of the Russian military, more motivated, generally better equipped, and with the Mrs Russian logistics must be in at the moment...

But they're all cunts, so hopefully we can enjoy them killing each other.

Apocryphon

If it’s not a psy-op it has the potential to be a very interesting development. It has seemingly been tracking that way for weeks but we don’t really know what is going on.

One would assume that Russia has the capacity to take Wagner out easily enough so I’m not holding my breath just yet. Prigozhin is as trustworthy as Putin so we need to wait and see what happens on the ground inside Russia. No way of knowing just how much sway the Wagner boss actually has amongst the elite and wider population.

If the rift is genuine, this is a significant development that could either dictate close-future offensive actions against Ukraine or further solidify Putins position in Moscow. It’s possible Prigozhin has been turned by an offer of clemency against war crime prosecution or something but we’ll see.

dem

Its funny watching people bag on Prigozhin one minute, then cheer on his words the next.

Don't listen to a fucking thing he has to say. It's all controlled. You're being played.

This is Russia. Every aspect of Russia is a lie. Even the truth is a lie. The culture is fucking insane.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I imagine they'd have the backing of a lot of ordinary russian soldiers, he's been telling it how it is, "appears" on the front line plus has the respect of his men, if he's selling it as rooting out the corrupt incompetent elites that have been sending them to their death, then I don't see why the regulars wouldn't turn on their commanders and back him, it's really hard to know as everything out of a Russians mouth is lies no matter who it serves

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Its funny watching people bag on Prigozhin one minute, then cheer on his words the next.

Don't listen to a fucking thing he has to say. It's all controlled. You're being played.
Nobody is being played, we all know a Russian orc cunt lies but we can all just wish the whole house of shit collapses in on itself

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
If it’s not a psy-op it has the potential to be a very interesting development. It has seemingly been tracking that way for weeks but we don’t really know what is going on.

One would assume that Russia has the capacity to take Wagner out easily enough so I’m not holding my breath just yet. Prigozhin is as trustworthy as Putin so we need to wait and see what happens on the ground inside Russia. No way of knowing just how much sway the Wagner boss actually has amongst the elite and wider population.

If the rift is genuine, this is a significant development that could either dictate close-future offensive actions against Ukraine or further solidify Putins position in Moscow. It’s possible Prigozhin has been turned by an offer of clemency against war crime prosecution or something but we’ll see.
The US to Prigozhin, turn on the top brass, take out Shoigu and Gerisomov, retire that cunt Putin to his wee holiday home, install someone less cunty or we'll declare you a terrorist organisation, take out every single one of your operations throughout the world with a few well placed actual precision strikes and hunt you down for the rest of your life...

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth

Popcorn tiem?

ron burgundy GIF

Sakura

I imagine they'd have the backing of a lot of ordinary russian soldiers, he's been telling it how it is, "appears" on the front line plus has the respect of his men, if he's selling it as rooting out the corrupt incompetent elites that have been sending them to their death, then I don't see why the regulars wouldn't turn on their commanders and back him, it's really hard to know as everything out of a Russians mouth is lies no matter who it serves
I suppose. It seems like a really risky gamble though. They've been complaining about having no ammo for months, and losing tons of men. And aren't a bunch of their current soldiers just convicts? If shit hit the fan I could see them collapsing very fast.

Is this there get out? They know the war is lost and they have no hope of winning so to get out and save some sort of face (and what's left of the army) they'll heap the entire blame on the MOD and throw them under the bus

This is another possibility I guess. He never seems to be critical of Putin. Put the blame on the military as their out for the war.

thuGG_pl

I feel like people are full on copium with this. The reality is that the counter offensive isnt going as good as it was expected. This will be dragged for years until Ukraine will be tired of it and concede a good number of the territories still under control by the russians.
The west should have helped ukraine with real soldiers/pilots and call Russia's bluff with the nukes. Most barely even work at this point, and if they used them they would have become a real pariah state, where not even China could allign with. Right now they are trading shit in secrecy and this gives Russia the power to drag this out for a long time.

I'm getting tired of people getting hyped on twitter, reddit etc over every small destroyed building or enemy tank like that matters in the grand scheme of things. Ukraine cant win this mathematically, alone.
You are forgetting one thing, they are not alone.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I suppose. It seems like a really risky gamble though. They've been complaining about having no ammo for months, and losing tons of men. And aren't a bunch of their current soldiers just convicts? If shit hit the fan I could see them collapsing very fast.

I think the majority of those convicts where thrown into the meatgrinder and are dead, there's no way he used his actual half decent forces in that shit show, what he has left is what's been keeping him safe and is what I assume is what he'll be using to "take out" the MOD, if it's all true but I can imagine the corridors of power at the Kremlin, Kyiv & The Whitehouse must be all running around going WTF Is Going On!!??

This is another possibility I guess. He never seems to be critical of Putin. Put the blame on the military as their out for the war.

He's never blamed Putin he's always blamed the MOD and the Elite for telling him lies, he's always insulated Putin, hence why there's some small plausibility that this is all actually happening, a deal has been struck between parties (I'd be surprised if the US hasn't been involved some way) and they've declared the MOD top brass are to blame for dragging Russia into this through lies and false promises, if they throw the MOD under the bus and heap the blame on them, they can end the war, save some sort of face and get out, the question of Crimea is the one bit thats in the air

Apocryphon

It could be everything from the onset of a civil war, a cover for Russia blowing the nuclear plant and blaming Wagner, a consolidation of power by Putin by removing unfriendly or reluctant generals, or an excuse for Russia to pull out of Ukraine to deal with large scale domestic unrest at home. Or it could just be words and nonsense. Unless the situation on the ground in Russia is vastly different to what western analysts believe, Prigozhin doesn’t have anywhere near enough support to pull off a coup. It might be that they called him to heel and he has refused, but he is careful not to use Putin’s name so this could easily just be Putin putting pressure on Shoigu. We know the power structure in Russia is weird and that Putin doesn’t have full control of anything.

TwinB242

Im not sure this whole ordeal could actually benefit Ukraine in any way. In fact it could potentially be really bad, because if there's a change in leadership and someone like Prigozhin takes over, he could decide to go all out and fully mobilize Russia for the war. Also, lets not forget about the thousand of nukes that could potentially fall into the wrong hands.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

This is Russia. Every aspect of Russia is a lie. Even the truth is a lie. The culture is fucking insane.

Yepp, I was thinking the same. Pirgozhin has been comically loud. Other people would have been executed/dropped from a window a long time ago. All of this is pretty suspect.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Yepp, I was thinking the same. Pirgozhin has been comically loud. Other people would have been executed/dropped from a window a long time ago. All of this is pretty suspect.

*If* this is being staged, it's likely being done to allow Putin to slink out of the war and look heroic...as if he was being misled all along.

Im not sure this whole ordeal could actually benefit Ukraine in any way. In fact it could potentially be really bad, because if there's a change in leadership and someone like Prigozhin takes over, he could decide to go all out and fully mobilize Russia for the war. Also, lets not forget about the thousand of nukes that could potentially fall into the wrong hands.

I actually think quite the opposite. It could be a big charade to provide Putin an "out." Hard to say right now for sure, but all we can do is speculate. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Rat Rage

Sorry for refering to my post from 2 weeks ago, but looks like I was spot on

I hope the nuclear power plant is safe.

If a nuclear meltdown happens, I think it's going to trigger NATO to attack, as a meltdown could potentially threaten quite a few european countries.

Here is what happend after Chernobyl.

Also, I'm 100% certain Nato has been training for a war with Russia since month. Russia is gonna be very fucked if that happens.

nemiroff

Gold Member
The situation is developing faster than expected.. Or it may be just my brain being saturated by wishful thinking.

Hmm. Going to continue to keep expectations low.

Last edited:

Apocryphon

It doesn’t look like much is going to happen. Prigozhin is very likely done after this and Wagner forces will be completely absorbed by the MoD.

Think it will be like the 2016 Turkey coup attempt? Where nothing changes.

If this is real....It doesn't really matter right now if anything changes, the issue is that Putin has to react and quickly

A good part of his working military is engaged in Ukraine, defending against the probe attacks/counter offensive

The rest of his working military is stationed around his very large country, id imagine to keep track of puppet states looking to break away/uprise in this type of situation, general border defence and protecting important army/naval/airforce bases

Putin needs this problem to go away quickly, as in, the next few hours quickly, before any real trouble can start, the longer it goes on, the weaker he looks, a (potentially) huge private army wandering around his country, unchecked, the non state controlled messages of hope, freedom, change start to inspire others in country and Russia owned countries just looking to get away. Even a tiny coup would cost time, money and effort to sort out, all which is useful for Ukraine. A tiny coup could easily turn into a massive uprising

Putin needs to figure out which of his military untis are under his control (and where they are!), which are possibly going to defect and which will not fight against Wagner, like the supposed border guards "hugging" Wagner on the way in. The next issue is if Wagner gets their hands on one of those "important" bases, it instantly resupplys them, and worst case scenario, gives them potential control of WMD's

All this behind front lines, live via the internet for everyone to see in real-time. The longer this goes on, the harder it will be to reinforce front line troops, resupply them, keep them in check...why die in Ukraine right now when Russia is potentially at the beginning of a civil war. Drop weapons and slink off, leaving gaps on the front line, letting Ukraine dive in

He needs to come out on TV right now, put the country on lock down and bomb wagner into the stone age before they get too far. So far he's been absent. None of this looks good for Russia, it just depends on how well and quickly Putin can control this situation

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
This special military operation has just become even more special. Good work Russia.

One day I also hope that Saint Javelin and Mother NLAW pays Moscow a visit too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom