• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunkMiller

As ill-educated on military matters as i am, isnt now the time for Ukraine to push the offensive now?

If they can. The slow pace of the counter offensive suggests they don't have the equipment or manpower to really push hard in a decisive manner, but there's no doubt this provides them with a decent opportunity to exploit Russia's internal problems.

Frankly, this is the time to unleash everything NATO can provide (tomahawks launched from US carriers for instance) to take advantage, but I see no appetite for that unfortunately.

UnNamed

Banned

FlfAH_iWYAAYVra.jpg

nemiroff

Gold Member
As ill-educated on military matters as i am, isnt now the time for Ukraine to push the offensive now?
This may not change a lot of what's happening on the battlefield right now. Most ruZZian soldiers won't even know what's going on, so they'll just keep fighting.

But yes; There's a chance that this might go in Ukraine's favor, and hopefully it'll snowball and gain real momentum before the chaos ends. We'll see.

Last edited:

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
The guy has been dipping his toe in the Rubicon for a while now. When they ordered him to hold position in Ukraine and then demanded he hand over control of Wagner to the MOD it was like watching a repeat of the Roman senate ordering Caesar to hold position and give up his legions….With the exception that Prigozhin didn’t actually win any battles beforehand.

Back in May it was reported he was offering up Russian positions to Ukraine and had been talking with them for a while:

The guy isn’t stupid and he isn’t suicidal, which has made his statements against Putin and the Russian military all the more eyebrow raising over the last few months since it would normally be a death sentence for anyone else and there was virtually no direct response from Russia (they likely couldn’t touch him). The only way he would do this now is he knows he has solid backing and a fairly good chance at succeeding, you only make this move if you know you’ve got the advantage, since there’s no stalemate or backing down after a move like that, and he knows that, which tells me he has some serious backing.

Last edited:
If he got 25k... would't ruzzia have like millions... infinite amount of fodder ? like in ww2?
I'm not an expert but doesn't Russia have an internal army? Well when I say Russia I mean Putin's private army because he's too shit scared of the military turning on him?

I'm reading things across the internet today and I saw that. This Wagner dude might be wiped out if he gets near Moscow. Fuck knows what'll happen but it's interesting times.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'm not an expert but doesn't Russia have an internal army? Well when I say Russia I mean Putin's private army because he's too shit scared of the military turning on him?

I'm reading things across the internet today and I saw that. This Wagner dude might be wiped out if he gets near Moscow. Fuck knows what'll happen but it's interesting times.
25k military is nothing... remember millions were fighting and dying in ww2

Go_Ly_Dow

I think there's little chance this changes Putin's regime or ends the war anytime soon, but I do think it's going to help Ukraine massively and also bring forward the end of the war by forcing Putin to accept withdrawal sooner or later.

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
If he got 25k... would't ruzzia have like millions... infinite amount of fodder ? like in ww2?
That might have been a major obstacle to him taking over Russia if it wasn’t for the fact that most of the Russian army is sitting in Ukraine and the rest can likely by easily bribed.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

That might have been a major obstacle to him taking over Russia if it wasn’t for the fact that most of the Russian army is sitting in Ukraine.

Exactly. Pigorzhin would know exactly where Russian troops are stationed. He's obviously been planning this for months... stockpiling resources, bribing officials... the whole nine yards.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Well, if you ever wanted to witness the fall of a major nation on a scale not seen since the second world war... you may just get the chance this weekend.

Don't make any plans.
This is utterly brilliant and couldn't happen to a more deserving cunt of a country, the fact that this is playing out real time is just fucking amazing but a part of me still thinks it's all theatrical bollocks

FunkMiller

This is utterly brilliant and couldn't happen to a more deserving cunt of a country, the fact that this is playing out real time is just fucking amazing but a part of me still thinks it's all theatrical bollocks

If it helps, every single verifiable military expert I follow, and all the ones being interviewed by major news outlets are all saying this is very real.

Isn't the Wagner commander staunchly anti Ukraine? I've seen people suggesting he's trying to strongarm Putin into making him the new MoD.

Wouldn't this (or him rising to power, something unlikely I admit) be Bad News for Ukraine? He won't do any worse than the clowns in charge of the invasion now.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
If it helps, every single verifiable military expert I follow, and all the ones being interviewed by major news outlets are all saying this is very real.
Im seeing the same shit but there hasn't been any actual fighting per se, the man is heading up the motorway in a very easily distinguishable convoy, so where is the jets straffin the fuck out of it, whys it not being attacked, has the MOD/Putin lost complete control over the rest of the Army/Airforce? I don't get it, Shoigu knows that he's coming for his head there's no way out for him so why isn't he fighting and taking out that convoy in an area that won't result in massive civilian casualties (like they fucking care anyways) something's not right, it's all to easy and choreographed

Im seeing the same shit but there hasn't been any actual fighting per se, the man is heading up the motorway in a very easily distinguishable convoy, so where is the jets straffin the fuck out of it, whys it not being attacked, has the MOD/Putin lost complete control over the rest of the Army/Airforce? I don't get it, Shoigu knows that he's coming for his head there's no way out for him so why isn't he fighting and taking out that convoy in an area that won't result in massive civilian casualties (like they fucking care anyways) something's not right, it's all to easy and choreographed
You’ve got the only competent force storming the capital and your president and everyone is fleeing. Would you be risking your life to stop them?

FunkMiller

Pigorzhin wouldn't have started this without knowing he had allies within both the GRU and FSB. And he'll also know what Russia's actually military capabilities are. There are battles going on between the two forces, but as you say, not as many as you'd expect. This suggests that deals have been done.

Liljagare

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Whats the point of fleeing to sint petersburg, if moscow falls would the entire country not fall directly. What has putin left then.

FunkMiller

Wouldnt it be great to see them go at it, same with Belerus, hell Georgia should go kick out the detachment as well, every country in the world is just sitting back waiting to see

Both Chechen and Belarussian rebels have been waiting a long time for Putin's powerbase to crack.

I fully expect uprisings in both countries, should Pigorzhin prove in any way successful in the coming days.

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
Isn't the Wagner commander staunchly anti Ukraine? I've seen people suggesting he's trying to strongarm Putin into making him the new MoD.

Wouldn't this (or him rising to power, something unlikely I admit) be Bad News for Ukraine? He won't do any worse than the clowns in charge of the invasion now.

There’s no more strong-arming over anything anymore, he’s well past that line, there’s no pardon or way out from this other than winning or dying, if Putin handed over the MOD right now he would literally be handing over the country. So no that definitely isn’t Prigozhin‘s game plan.

In regards to Ukraine he can’t fight a civil campaign and fight Ukraine at the same time, even if he takes over completely he will be stuck consolidating the country keeping him from a launching any serious campaign in Ukraine. Win or lose either way Russian troops have to be pulled back from Ukraine in the middle of a counter-offensive and the timing couldn’t be worse. It’s win-win for Ukraine no matter which way you cut it.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

If Putin is gone then Russia is going to implode

Yep. There will be uprisings in all of the republics, who have been cowed by Putin's perceived power in recent years.

China will also look to strike in Manchuria.

There's been blood in the water for months, and Pigorzhin's just opened a vein.

Liljagare

They’re now reported to be around 380 kilometers from Moscow so we might start seeing some action later this evening. Meanwhile kadyrovites are on the move to Rostov

Last edited:

Yoboman

k8ImAkH.jpg

War... has changed.

It's no longer about nations, ideologies, or ethnicity. It's an endless series of proxy battles fought by mercenaries and machines.

War, and its consumption of life, has become a well-oiled machine.

War has changed.

ID-tagged soldiers carry ID-tagged weapons, use ID-tagged gear. Nano-machines inside their bodies enhance and regulate their abilities.

Genetic control, information control, emotion control... battlefield control. Everything is monitored and kept under control.

War - has changed.

The age of deterrence has become the age of control. All in the name of averting catastrophe from Weapons of Mass Destruction. And he who controls the battlefield, controls history. War has changed... When the battlefield is under total control, war becomes routine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom