• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunkMiller

Excellent and sobering article, not what I want to be reading tbh, although this struck me as rather amusing

Gady however was quick to emphasize that “no Western type of military can really do this sort of combined arms operations at scale, with the exception of the United States. But even the United States Armed Forces would have a very difficult time breaking through these defensive layers because no Western military in the world currently has any experience in breaching the types of defenses in depth that the Russians put up, in the south and east of Ukraine.”

Ahem, the Americans would've established Air Superiority and would then B52 the absolute shit out of the defensive lines, if the Americans got involved and by god I wish they would, they'd make mincemeat out of those cunts, as it stands the West simply needs to keep up the support, if it's going to be a war of attrition then Ukraine will eventually win

The intractability and hand wringing going on in the White House is starting to become the reason this war is being allowed to carry on. Now Putin is once again targeting grain supplies, which could starve millions.

This should be coming to a close right now, and would be were it not for frankly what is now cowardice from the most powerful country on earth. And Putin will take advantage of that cowardice.

Fabieter

The intractability and hand wringing going on in the White House is starting to become the reason this war is being allowed to carry on. Now Putin is once again targeting grain supplies, which could starve millions.

This should be coming to a close right now, and would be were it not for frankly what is now cowardice from the most powerful country on earth. And Putin will take advantage of that cowardice.

Big Western stock holders indirectly profit from putins food attacks. Its not an immediate response on pricing but you bet prices are going crazy for grain in the coming months.

You can reduce everything on money was and ever will be the absolut truth.

Liljagare

Russian military bloggers write about the difficult situation for the Russian military in the Bakhmut area. It is reported that the 🇺🇦Ukrainian military is approaching Andriivka, heavy fighting is going on there, they also write that Klishchiivka can be surrendered there, the Ukrainian military is actively using cluster munitions. The Russians write that they have no reserves there and that the rotation of troops has not been carried out for a long time

"#NewsMap The Ukrainian army liberated #Andriivka, south of Bakhmut, Russian and Ukrainian sources report accordingly."

Liljagare

“Stopping the modern Hitler”: snipers hold the line in Ukraine’s battle for survival​

EDIT:

Pretty big missile attack on Ukraine just on the past few, 50 or so have been launched, reports of 12 Bear Bombers launching missiles from the Black sea, and atleast 4 Kinzhal'ss from Migs. Iskanders from Bryansk too. One of the biggest attacks so far. :\

Russia has fired missiles from 12 (twelve) Tu-95 in Ukraine's direction according to the Ukrainian Air Force.
This may become a series of Russia's biggest air strikes on Ukraine up to date.
The missiles are approaching Odesa, Mykolaiv, Vinnytsia, Ternopil and Khmelnytskyi oblasts.

Cherkasy, a missile was reportedly shot down. There are more in the skies.
Cruise missiles on approach to Vinnytsia, Mykolaiv and Odesa regions. Explosions were heard in Dnipropetrovsk region, air defense is active.
Explosions in Zhytomir, air defense was active. The sky is now reportedly clear of missiles. Air defense seems to have done a great job.

Cancellation of air threat for Ukraine. F#ck russia.

Last edited:

BREAKING: The main thrust of Ukraine's counteroffensive is now underway in the country's southeast, two Pentagon officials say - NYT Thousands of reinforcements are pouring in, many of them trained and equipped by the west.​

nytimes.com/live/2...

Lets Go Nba GIF by Storyful

Liljagare

WarGonzo's early report:
➡️The AFU has entrenched itself inside Staromaiors'ke and is advancing to Urozhaine.
➡️RU forces retreated from Nadiya (west of Raihorodka) which was captured yesterday. "Front line leveled off".
➡️RU forces did a failed counterattack near Kurdyumivka.
In addition, also Romanov is predicting a bad outcome of the Staromaiors'ke-Urozhaine line:
"In the event of the surrender of Staromaiors'ke, there is a serious danger of losing Urozhaine. They will simply come out of it and say about occupying more advantageous lines. The enemy is trying to competently penetrate the flanks of the positions of the 35th army and take it into the cauldron. Everyone on the ground sees this, but no countermeasures are taken. Commanders lack the competence to solve this problem. Now the question is at the stage of pushing the blame on each other," he says.

FUBARx89

A nice video about 11th Special Brigade of the Army Aviation.

TikTok Chechens in a fierce battle with... ?

I've seen this a few times today and I'm still trying to wrap my head around it 😂

Why is one of them firing a machine gun one way, a rocket another. The fuck are they doing. Acting like they're in a fierce battle? 😂

Liljagare

Last edited:

Oberstein

A team of volunteers helping civilians to evacuate.

These guys risk their lives every day.

A French videographer followed them for several days. The video is well worth watching. They speak English most of the time, but you can put on subtitles too: youtube.com/watch?v=cKSG8RVYV4w

It's a real insight into their daily lives.

Last edited:

Liljagare

Zelenskyy
Bakhmut direction, advanced positions of the Special Operations Forces. Today, I am here to congratulate our warriors on their professional day, to honor their strength. I heard a commander's report, talked with the warriors. Very powerful, very effective. Thank you!
Although I cannot tell the details about the current operations of the SSO, only when time passes. But the performance of tasks for the sake of Ukraine by you, guys, is truly heroic. Glory to the Special Operations Forces of the Armed Forces of Ukraine! Honor to you!

I have to say, I can be very critical about how the war is reported, but this short report by @MarcSantoraNYT is excellent and concisely explains what the Ukrainians are facing and trying to do. Well done by the @nytimes
It's about degrading Russian logistics enough (primarily through the use of Ukrainian artillery and ranged weapons). To do that, they need to advance enough to bring more and more targets into range (you can only hit some things with Storm Shadows). Here is the start of the article.
Now, this would not be such a problematic campaign if we had given Ukraine better ranged capabilities before it started. Still, an excellent story that doesn't draw massive (and often wrong) implications from one account on the front line. More like this, please.

Ukrainians advance near Urozhaine on eastern front, Russians suffer supply disruptions.

Ukrainians continue offensive operations on the eastern front, gaining ground in Staromaiorske and advancing on Urozhaine.

https://euromaidanpress.com/2023/07...ern-front-russians-suffer-supply-disruptions/

Rheinmetall to Open Tank Repair Center in Ukraine Earlier Than Anticipated.
The CEO of Germany’s Rheinmetall has announced they will open a repair center for tanks and other heavy equipment in Ukraine as early as late summer.
https://www.kyivpost.com/post/19959

Big news this weekend!

Last edited:

Liljagare

Ukrainian Forces are near Russia’s 1st Line of Major Trench Fortifications in Zaporizhzhia Oblast If Ukraine breaks through it then they would be less than 9km away from Russia’s 2nd and final line of major trench fortifications until the Sea of Azov and the City of Melitopol

Holy, they have moved way deeper than I thought.

Ukraine shot 127582 storm shadows at the rail bridge, and Russia shot down all of them. Unfortunately, in an unrelated event, the bridge tipped over.

:D

Last edited:

Liljagare

Overnight there have been further developments in the Bakhmut sector. Ukrainian forces have taken control over most of Klishchiivka while Russian troops are operating on the outskirts of the city. It's not yet a done deal but there remains a positive trend in the direction.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

That's quite an explosion for a drone!
haha take that!

Ukraine advances are "techniocally" very good but it's so little on the map. Russia has taken these territories so fast and ukraine struggles for months and months to push through.
At least the war is going right and not left but I have a feeling that reported casualties are not real.

Liljagare

Russian positions taken in the Orikhiv direction.

Should be near Robotyne.

Ukraine appears to have taken credit for the drone attacks on Moscow, which destroyed a secret Russian government office on the 10th floor of a skyscraper, under the jurisdiction of Putin's Federal Protective Service.Meet Beaver, a drone with a range of 1000km (620 miles).

Last edited:

FunkMiller

I know a lot of people are taking some delight in this on social media, but the fact they are celebrating a few small drone strikes on Moscow so much, instead of massive destruction of Russian forward positions in Ukraine by medium and long range missiles, tells its own story about where this conflict is.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
If ukraine is behind the attacks on russia hell yeah!

about time those fuckers got a taste of it.

It’s a logical play. By striking inside Russia they expose whether Russia’s nuclear red line is actually real. Russia’s doctrine allows for defensive use of nukes - which continuous attacks on Moscow would qualify.

If the red line is not real, it’s open fire on Russia, a win for Ukraine.

If it’s real and Russia retaliates with nukes, the West has privately told Russia their bases will be decimated, it’s a win for Ukraine at probably a smaller Ukrainian loss than warring for another 500 days.

I wouldn’t go as far as saying check mate, but check is in order.

Last edited:

Darius87

It’s a logical play. By striking inside Russia they expose whether Russia’s nuclear red line is actually real. Russia’s doctrine allows for defensive use of nukes - which continuous attacks on Moscow would qualify.

If the red line is not real, it’s open fire on Russia, a win for Ukraine.

If it’s real and Russia retaliates with nukes, the West has privately told Russia their bases will be decimated, it’s a win for Ukraine at probably a smaller Ukrainian loss than warring for another 500 days.

I wouldn’t go as far as saying check mate, but check is in order.
putin has more red lines then usa flag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom