• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

winjer

Gold Member
Its good for morale and all that but drone strikes aren't going to win a war.

Every bit helps. And taking out tactical airlifter that costs 50M US$, is going to hurt Russia not only for the monetary loss, but also by limiting the supplies it can make.
Considering this was done by a drone that costs a fraction of a percent of the cost of that airplane, it's a big win for Ukraine.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Every bit helps. And taking out tactical airlifter that costs 50M US$, is going to hurt Russia not only for the monetary loss, but also by limiting the supplies it can make.
Considering this was done by a drone that costs a fraction of a percent of the cost of that airplane, it's a big win for Ukraine.

Attrition does matter.

Putin spokesman says international investigators cannot take part in Prigozhin plane crash probe since foul play may be involved​

renderTimingPixel.png

meduza.io/en/new...

episode 1 nodding GIF

Liljagare

The best weapons that are currently helping our warriors defend Ukraine should be produced in Ukraine. The development of our own weapons production is a top priority.
In particular, artillery – L119 and M777 systems, armored vehicles – robust CV90. These are the weapons of @BAESystemsplc, which is starting to operate in Ukraine.
I met with the company's CEO, Charles Woodburn. It was a very productive meeting. The company's office in Ukraine. Localization of production in Ukraine. A joint result for the security of our country, the whole of Europe and the free world.
Together we make freedom stronger. Thank you for your visit to Ukraine and the meaningful start of our cooperation!

jason10mm

Gold Member
This drone tech is getting OUT OF CONTROL. The idea that the front lines could be swarmed with cardboard drones should TERRIFY any military. And drone assassinations even more so.

We are gonna need a START III (or IV, whatever number we are up to) to limit the number and types of drones just like nukes.

Tams

This drone tech is getting OUT OF CONTROL. The idea that the front lines could be swarmed with cardboard drones should TERRIFY any military. And drone assassinations even more so.

We are gonna need a START III (or IV, whatever number we are up to) to limit the number and types of drones just like nukes.

Lol, good luck when anyone and their dog can just use readily available materials with many legitimate purposes and then just user a cheap laser cutter or 3D print some stuff.

winjer

Gold Member

Russia rarely commits to their end of these deals. So don't bother trying to sign anything limiting a weapon, because chances are, Russians will be the first to break the deal.

Thaedolus

I saw something on CNN’s site earlier that two reporters are saying Priggy’s head was delivered to top Russian generals.

Not sure there was much in there even before the crash. Still can’t believe he stopped the coup halfway and thought he’d be fine

Edit

Found the link but don’t have time to watch a 14 min video:

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I saw something on CNN’s site earlier that two reporters are saying Priggy’s head was delivered to top Russian generals.

Not sure there was much in there even before the crash. Still can’t believe he stopped the coup halfway and thought he’d be fine

Edit

Found the link but don’t have time to watch a 14 min video:

I hope they have IMPECCABLE DNA evidence of this, I just can't believe this wasn't a fake death and he is off in Val Verde enjoying sun and sand. It's gonna be spy thriller fodder for DECADES.

Thaedolus

I hope they have IMPECCABLE DNA evidence of this, I just can't believe this wasn't a fake death and he is off in Val Verde enjoying sun and sand. It's gonna be spy thriller fodder for DECADES.
Depends on the force of impact/fire situation really. It’s not implausible they found him strapped to his seat even.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Depends on the force of impact/fire situation really. It’s not implausible they found him strapped to his seat even.
Unless the body was thrown clear of the crash (and the way it kinda spiraled down suggests it didn't impact with a lot of lateral force to throw things way) it likely burned. You can sometimes pull out tattoos from charred skin, dental might be a possibility, but all that stuff can be faked (records switched, a patsy done up to match) with some prep time. Even DNA in a registry can be replaced, but I'm sure the KGB has independent DNA banks for events like this. Anyway, assuming Putin wanted this guy dead, I'm sure proof of death is being done in triplicate at the very least. Just wild.

Liljagare

The Biden administration plans to announce the delivery of depleted uranium armor piercing fin stabilized discarding sabot-tracer (APFSDS-T) in a new military aid package for Ukraine.
Such shells are the standard ammunition for the M1A1 Abrams tanks, on which the first batch of Ukrainian tankers recently completed training.
The first Abrams will enter into service in September.
Most likely, the transferred projectile will be 120mm M829A2 manufactured in the 90s.
However, it is possible that modern M829A3 APFSDS-T, designed to fight the most modern dynamic protection, could also be transferred.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us-send-its-first-depleted-uranium-rounds-ukraine-sources-2023-09-01/

The first rounds apparently have allready arrived.

SLoco

Neo Member
What do you guys think about this video?

Do you think reason for Ukraine pushing this hard on offensive is because next year they might go bankrupt and western powers cutting their dollar help cause they cant print infinite money.

Last edited:

Tams

Do you think reason for Ukraine pushing this hard on offensive is because next year they might go bankrupt and western powers cutting their dollar help cause they cant print infinite money.

No.

They're pushing hard because:

1. Otherwise Russian forces would become even more entrenched and Russia's military industrial complex might manage to start producing enough materiel.

2. Electorates in the 'West' (or rather the developed democratic world) do expect to some return on the weapons sent and training given. That it isn't a lost cause.

Only naïve wishful thinkers and Russian trolls trying to create a strawman were claiming that Russia would go bankrupt. That never was the strategy.

Try thinking for yourself rather than parroting some YouTuber.

Liljagare

US 🇺🇸 will be sending Ukraine 🇺🇦 AMRAAM Air-to-Air Missiles for F-16s which have a maximum range of 160 to 180km, announced the Spokesman for the Ukrainian Air Force Yuriy Ignat
This would allow Ukraine to intercept Russian Aircraft without being in range of Russian Air Defenses.

Last edited:

Liljagare

Oleksandr Tarnavskyi, Brigadier General Oleksandr Tarnavskyi, Commander of the Tavriia Operational and Strategic Group of Forces, said that the Russian forces spent 60% of their time and resources on the construction of the first line of defence, and only 20% for the second and third. Now the Ukrainian army is advancing on both sides of the breakthrough and are consolidating their positions.

sinnergy

Oleksandr Tarnavskyi, Brigadier General Oleksandr Tarnavskyi, Commander of the Tavriia Operational and Strategic Group of Forces, said that the Russian forces spent 60% of their time and resources on the construction of the first line of defence, and only 20% for the second and third. Now the Ukrainian army is advancing on both sides of the breakthrough and are consolidating their positions.

Sounds like Russians 🤣🤡

BlackTron

In their minds, do the tires act like armor and tank a hit? Or work like a cartoon or game item, making the drone bounce away from the rubber effect?

I wanna know

Edit: I know this sounds silly but maybe there is a non-zero effect on radar detection from sound absorption of rubber? I mean it would still be the most hilariously desperate and dumb idea for a stealth bomber, but it seems less ridiculous than armor at least. Suspension of disbelief is looking for a way out

Last edited:

Yes and no. I do think that when Russia realized they couldn't outright beat Ukraine militarily, they started to go down the route of destroying Ukraine economically. Now, on pure economics and demographics, if this was a two horse race in complete isolation Ukraine would run out of pretty much everything first. The population is probably below 30m at this point etc. However the West is making up that difference and so nullifies it to an extent. The only thing we can't make up for is the demographic difference so attrition is still not good for Ukraine but that's why they are trying to minimize casualties. This will come down to which side politically breaks first which is why Russia is definitely trying to manipulate some European nations.

Futaleufu

Yep, imagine a swarm of drones flying at 2-3 feet from the ground, each one of them going straight to any heat signature/moving target. A small village/town/city could be wiped out without any time to react

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom