• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Every other country

No Way Minions GIF

winjer

Gold Member

Every other country

It's funny how Russian bots will argue that sanctions had no impact on the Russian economy, and then we have Putin demanding the west to open Swift for Russia, to sell parts for machinery, unfreeze Russian assets, unblock insurance for Russian transport companies, and resume transport pipelines.

And that thing about Russia wanting parts for agricultural machinery, I bet these will be used for tanks. So that one is very important to keep blocked.

Liljagare

Cuba uncovers human trafficking of Cubans to fight for Russia in Ukraine
Cuba has uncovered a human trafficking ring that has coerced its citizens to fight for Russia in the war in Ukraine, its foreign ministry said on Monday, adding that Cuban authorities were working to "neutralize and dismantle" the network.
The statement from Cuba's foreign ministry gave few details, but noted the trafficking ring was operating both within the Caribbean island nation, thousands of miles from Moscow, and in Russia.
https://www.reuters.com/world/cuba-...cking-cubans-fight-russia-ukraine-2023-09-05/

Nikodemos

The fact that "In Soviet Russia" jokes now apply perfectly to Putin's fiefdom is a clear indication of how degenerate the entire governance of that sad-pile-of-people-masquerading-as-a-country has become.

winjer

Gold Member
The fact that "In Soviet Russia" jokes now apply perfectly to Putin's fiefdom is a clear indication of how degenerate the entire governance of that sad-pile-of-people-masquerading-as-a-country has become.

It's probably worse now. The Soviet Union at least could keep up with technological advancements in several important areas. Especially military ones.
Putin and his regime managed to widen the gap.

BlackTron

It's probably worse now. The Soviet Union at least could keep up with technological advancements in several important areas. Especially military ones.
Putin and his regime managed to widen the gap.

Soviet Union put us in a space race and beat us there on many milestones. Now Russia gets embarrassed by India by even trying.

I see them as dependent on China for tech now. They used to trailblaze it, now they have to import stuff that they don't even know how to make. Too many intelligent people being scared away, locked up or killed.

winjer

Gold Member
Kim Jong Un is going to Russia to talk with Putin.
Shoigu recently tried to convince North Korea to supply artillery shells to Russia, but with no success.
For Kim Jong Un to go into Russia, probably means the stakes are high. So the question is what will he manage to extract from Putin. But considering how desperate Putin is for ammo, Un might be able to get quite a lot.

BlackTron

Kim Jong Un is going to Russia to talk with Putin.
Shoigu recently tried to convince North Korea to supply artillery shells to Russia, but with no success.
For Kim Jong Un to go into Russia, probably means the stakes are high. So the question is what will he manage to extract from Putin. But considering how desperate Putin is for ammo, Un might be able to get quite a lot.

When you're begging North Korea :messenger_face_screaming:

BlackTron

tanks get destroyed, thats kinda what war is.

people seem to think western hardware is invincible

Yeah it's weird, it's like we lose one tank and someone is like OH NO STOP SENDING OUR STUFF WE ARE WASTING IT

Like we didn't know we would take losses when we sent it, it's sad that some of the people with such potato brains are politicians. You should be looking for healthy K/D attrition ratios not the Star power-up from the Mario movie.

Tams

tanks get destroyed, thats kinda what war is.

people seem to think western hardware is invincible

Yeah it's weird, it's like we lose one tank and someone is like OH NO STOP SENDING OUR STUFF WE ARE WASTING IT

Like we didn't know we would take losses when we sent it, it's sad that some of the people with such potato brains are politicians. You should be looking for healthy K/D attrition ratios not the Star power-up from the Mario movie.

Geez. I was just saying that's a shame one was lost or at least significantly damaged.

Nowhere did I claim that one wouldn't be lost.

Think next time before you jump down someone's throat.

BlackTron

Geez. I was just saying that's a shame one was lost or at least significantly damaged.

Nowhere did I claim that one wouldn't be lost.

Think next time before you jump down someone's throat.

Hold on. When I said "someone" I wasn't referring to you, just replying to another post about unrealistic expectations of Western hardware. The only party I specified was potato brain politicians.

Lunarorbit

Russia loses 4000 tanks, and no one bats an eye.
Ukraine loses one Challenger and it's the end of the world.

Sorry to disappoint everyone, but the UK has lost several Challenger 2 tanks in Iraq, for example. They are not invincible.
Isn't this only the 5th challenger tank they've lost? Or is that leopard tanks?

The report I read said that 4 of them were damaged but were able to be towed and fixed

winjer

Gold Member
In other news. Seems like the UK is going to receive nuclear weapons from the USA.
The last ones were removed in 2008, but with Putin and his gang constantly doing threats with their nukes, the political and military situation has changed considerably.
And of course, that Putin has already pouted and made the usual empty threats of "consequences".

Isn't this only the 5th challenger tank they've lost? Or is that leopard tanks?

The report I read said that 4 of them were damaged but were able to be towed and fixed
Only 1 (up until now) has officially been destroyed. The other one was in Iraq, which strangely was an friendly fire accident

Cyberpunkd

Heh, some people in Poland are waking up to the fact Ukraine is using Soviet-style diplomacy and trying to gaslight everyone:

FunkMiller

Blinken announces $1 billion Ukraine aid package during surprise visit.

Blah blah blah.

Tomahawks, you hand wringing cowards. This war will only stretch on and on, and more and more people will die, all the time you haven’t got the balls to back Ukraine properly, and put Putin in his place. This shit could be over in days with the proper level of support.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Heh, some people in Poland are waking up to the fact Ukraine is using Soviet-style diplomacy and trying to gaslight everyone:

I need more context for this. What benefit does this have to Ukraine and why would they be doing this?

Blah blah blah.

Tomahawks, you hand wringing cowards. This war will only stretch on and on, and more and more people will die, all the time you haven’t got the balls to back Ukraine properly, and put Putin in his place. This shit could be over in days with the proper level of support.

If the war would be over in a matter of days with further support, saving thousands of lives and ending Putin, then why isn't the US providing said support?

Serious question as well.

Nikodemos

I need more context for this. What benefit does this have to Ukraine and why would they be doing this?
All this grain BS is caused by the Polish wheat mafia, who, purely by coincidence, are a major PiS financier (btw, this also happens in other agrarian countries, like Romania). They had hoped prices would jump, so they filled up their silos, but they bought wheat at a pretty high price (in the idea that it will go even higher, sort of like the people who bought property in early-2008).
However prices didn't jump, so they have to sell now for pretty much the purchase price (or risk spoilage), which results in a net loss due to associated fixed costs (transport, siloing). They are trying to force wheat prices to go up by stopping Ukrainian shipments, so they'd get their cashmoney.

EDIT: In the meantime, Russians are bombing the shit out of Ukrainian Danube ports, where a shitload of grain is currently stuck.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

Is this Russian propaganda?

Cyberpunkd

The argument goes that part of it is Soviet cultural sphere ruthlessness in dealings with other countries. This helps Ukraine dealing with Russia who has the same MO, but it is difficult to understand for Western companies they are dealing with their allies the same way e.g. for food products embargo Ukraine is openly pushing to be allowed to sell their products on the EU market even though it will cause the national markets to collapse. Ukraine is aware of that, but they don't care.

Last edited:
The argument goes that part of it is Soviet cultural sphere ruthlessness in dealings with other countries. This helps Ukraine dealing with Russia who has the same MO, but it is difficult to understand for Western companies they are dealing with their allies the same way e.g. for food products embargo Ukraine is openly pushing to be allowed to sell their products on the EU market even though it will cause the national markets to collapse. Ukraine is aware of that, but they don't care.

Even if this were true (it’s based on nothing but the idea of Soviet thinking and how UKR and RUS are the same, really) it would be the EU’s fault to approve any deal.

winjer

Gold Member

That is complete non-sense.
Ukraine is blockaded by Russia in the Black Sea, and this means they don't have ways to export their products abroad.
The other option is to sell to neighboring countries, including the EU. But this has several issues, one is that land transport is much more expensive than sea transport.
The other is that the EU has a very protectionists agricultural policy. But we have to consider that the EU does not produce enough food for itself, so it can buy some from Ukraine.
But even the food it won't buy from Ukraine, it is allowing it to pass through, to EU ports, so it can be shipped to the rest of the world.

And let's not forget that if Russia had maintained the agreement on food exports, this would not be a problem.
Because of Russia refusing to renew the grain deal, prices have increased around the globe, meaning that many poorer countries will starve because of Russia.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

If the war would be over in a matter of days with further support, saving thousands of lives and ending Putin, then why isn't the US providing said support?

Honestly? Hand wringing cowardice.

This war's been going on for more than long enough for the US to realise that Putin is a paper tiger. They could - and should - be providing all the resources required to get the job done, because it benefits them just as much, if not more so, as it does the Ukrainians.

Liljagare

Russian Combat Unit Using Horses to Covertly Supply Troops​

A Russian combat unit deployed from Russia’s autonomous republic of Bashkiria to fight in Ukraine is using two horses to transport weapons and equipment to inaccessible front-line positions.

Man I feel sorry for those animals, and I do mean ,the horses.

winjer

Gold Member

Russian Combat Unit Using Horses to Covertly Supply Troops​

A Russian combat unit deployed from Russia’s autonomous republic of Bashkiria to fight in Ukraine is using two horses to transport weapons and equipment to inaccessible front-line positions.

Man I feel sorry for those animals, and I do mean ,the horses.

Holy crap, it's just like WW1.
Putin really has the magical gift of time travel.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

This war's been going on for more than long enough for the US to realise that Putin is a paper tiger. They could - and should - be providing all the resources required to get the job done, because it benefits them just as much, if not more so, as it does the Ukrainians.

What would they be scared of? I don't believe the US, UK and EU fear Putin because they've already provided some support to Ukraine and Putin has done nothing.

The current lack of full support is just prolonging this war when, as you said, it could have ended a long time ago if there was more support.

So what's the issue?

BlackTron

Maybe they are scared, but I'm not so sure it's cowardice, just as likely cynical self-interest. The West wants to weaken Russia, and the longer this drags on, the longer Russia gets bled out, and the worse shape it ends up in when the dust settles. Sure, this means they are complicit with both sides paying a price in lives by the day as a side effect, but that's not cowardice, it's just not giving a fuck.

It made sense in the beginning, slowly amping up the volume as a tactic to circumvent their literally nuclear threatening. But that became a joke a while ago.

FunkMiller

What would they be scared of? I don't believe the US, UK and EU fear Putin because they've already provided some support to Ukraine and Putin has done nothing.

The current lack of full support is just prolonging this war when, as you said, it could have ended a long time ago if there was more support.

So what's the issue?

They’re scared of something else kicking off. That’s why they don’t want to hand over more munitions, because they’re worried they won’t have enough should they be needed elsewhere. It’s idiotic.

There’s also a degree of cost avoidance.

I honestly didn’t think this government would be this weak. They still also think he might pose a nuclear threat… for some reason.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
There might also be an issue with internal politics.
There is already a part of the electorate that thinks the USA should not waste money helping a foreign country, and that it should be used to help only Americans.
If there is a gigantic offer of several billions in aid to Ukraine, some political opponents might take advantage, and this minority might grow.
It is a very narrowminded view, but the USA is full of stupid people like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom