• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.
There might also be an issue with internal politics.
There is already a part of the electorate that thinks the USA should not waste money helping a foreign country, and that it should be used to help only Americans.
If there is a gigantic offer of several billions in aid to Ukraine, some political opponents might take advantage, and this minority might grow.
It is a very narrowminded view, but the USA is full of stupid people like this.
It's actually insane. Russia America's oldest enemy is getting destroyed maybe on Americas dime but at a tiny cost of the annual defence budget.

Also the party suggesting the money be stopped and spent on Americans.. seriously when has that party been about spending money on the common people. unless they mean big business "Americans".

Israel gets 5 billion a year to do what, drop bombs on building housing a suspected terrorists. Please.. where's the outcry to spend that at home.

BlackTron

It's actually insane. Russia America's oldest enemy is getting destroyed maybe on Americas dime but at a tiny cost of the annual defence budget.

Also the party suggesting the money be stopped and spent on Americans.. seriously when has that party been about spending money on the common people. unless they mean big business "Americans".

Israel gets 5 billion a year to do what, drop bombs on building housing a suspected terrorists. Please.. where's the outcry to spend that at home.

It's true, Russia stepped in dogshit setting up Americans for the deal of the century, but we manage to be too selfish and short-sighted to even want something for our benefit, whatever the rootin' tootin' politician says I guess people will just follow like lemmings.

Maybe we can pull support now, and then have to fight Russia ourselves later, classic dumb short sightedness plot we've seen in history and the movies 1000 times, but it ONLY happens in the past and movies right, this time It's Different™

Liljagare

After recent setbacks, Ukrainian forces have regained momentum in eastern Ukraine, launching successful attacks near Klishchiivka and Andriivka.

"Ukrainian Armed Forces advanced near Opytne and approached Donetsk airport"

Ukraine has made further gains in western #Zaporizhia.

Last edited:

Darius87

Musk actual piece of shit. I'm tired of him pretending it's because he's scared of nuclear war. Nobody else is scared it will go nuclear, it's quite obvious the Russians won't go nuclear first either.

He's nothing but a closest Putin lover who does this to help his dear comrade.
he says starlink wasn't active in crimea, but he refused to turn it on.

still doesn't change much.
i wonder why he provided starlink to ua in the first place if he doesn't want to help ua to free crimea?

winjer

Gold Member
he says starlink wasn't active in crimea, but he refused to turn it on.

still doesn't change much.
i wonder why he provided starlink to ua in the first place if he doesn't want to help ua to free crimea?

This asshole still doesn't know on which side he is on.
The USA and EU have been supplying tons of aid to Ukraine, including weapons made by several companies.
The US government is paying him to provide with Starlink access to Ukraine. So it's no different than any other company selling products and services that are then provided to Ukraine.
That he decided to sabotage this counter offensive is akin to treason.

BlackTron

Musk actual piece of shit. I'm tired of him pretending it's because he's scared of nuclear war. Nobody else is scared it will go nuclear, it's quite obvious the Russians won't go nuclear first either.

He's nothing but a closest Putin lover who does this to help his dear comrade.

He has blood on his hands and his apologizers need to pull their heads out of their asses.

Edit: I don't believe his story about how he simply decided not to turn it on either. He twists and dresses up the story every time. Acting exactly how you would expect a corrupt billionaire that owns and manipulates a social platform for his personal benefit would act, trying to control the public narrative. Also I like how he says sinking most of the Russian fleet at anchor as if that would be a bad thing and good reason not to do it. LOL. Yeah maybe if your best bud Putin is on speed dial

Last edited:

Thaedolus

I started disliking him ever since he became more socially active. I remember back 6 years ago, when "progressives" and "conservatives" alike were sucking him off, and I was "why? guy's a cunt".
Well, he’s not wrong about electrification and reusable space ships. So it’s kind of understandable that people whose interests align in those areas were excited about him throwing his weight behind those things. But yeah, everything else you learn about him = cunt. He reeks of someone who thinks his shit don’t stink and is surrounded by yes men. If he shut the fuck up and made electric cars and reusable rockets nobody would care, but apparently he fancies himself a philosopher and international man of mystery and unfortunately, that has real ramifications in a war zone right now

FUBARx89

Dunno why anyone is surprised Musk is a cunt. It's been showing for a long time now. The trapped kids in a cave thing sealed it for me. Just because his little contraption wasn't chosen to rescue them he starts labelling the bloke ended up getting them out a nonce. Blokes a cunt through and through.

Also when he was on Joe Rogan podcast and he "hit" that blunt, but didn't inhale and pretended like it didn't effect him was hillarious.

Hudo

I'd rather they get NASA back up to a level of funding and prestige it had during the space race.
I still envy the United States for NASA and what they have achieved. It's really a shame that the U.S. government doesn't seem to give a shit about it (at least from an outsider's point of view).

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I still envy the United States for NASA and what they have achieved. It's really a shame that the U.S. government doesn't seem to give a shit about it (at least from an outsider's point of view).

It is a shame that the USA government's motivation for scientific discovery, technological innovation, and groundbreaking exploration is not as great as its motivation for one-upping foreign ideological adversaries. Hopefully that changes.

j0cmu4z9j1nb1.jpg

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Dunno why anyone is surprised Musk is a cunt. It's been showing for a long time now. The trapped kids in a cave thing sealed it for me. Just because his little contraption wasn't chosen to rescue them he starts labelling the bloke ended up getting them out a nonce. Blokes a cunt through and through.

Also when he was on Joe Rogan podcast and he "hit" that blunt, but didn't inhale and pretended like it didn't effect him was hillarious.
I’ve seen pre-teens toke a joint better than that bitch, pretending he’s super cool. Absolute narc wanker.

Darius87

more ua succeeds on frontline more talks about truce will come.
It seems UN have started to give in to putins pressure and proposed to cancel some of the sanctions in exchange for grain deal blocade removal. Gift for russia from UN.

Tams

It is a shame that the USA government's motivation for scientific discovery, technological innovation, and groundbreaking exploration is not as great as its motivation for one-upping foreign ideological adversaries. Hopefully that changes.

1. The Space Race was largely because of an ideological adversary.
2. Those ideological adversaries risk the environment to make such discoveries if they prevail.

Good on Elon for preventing WW3. Or at least delaying it as Ukraine later attacked Sevastopol anyway and we all know how that lead to total nuclear war.

Last edited:

BlueAlpaca

Is it possible the Russians might have threatened Musk? He doesn't have protection from the state as an official, killing or hurting him can't be too hard. Especially since he has two dozen children or whatever.

And I don't blame him for not helping Ukraine enough, why isn't the US or Europe providing sattellite link for Ukraine? They don't have the tech? That would be embarrassing. And if the US really wanted SpaceX tech for Ukraine they can pay for it comfortably (probably are) and even force Musk to provide whatever coverage they want, I'm sure there are national security laws for this sort of thing.

Is it possible the Russians might have threatened Musk? He doesn't have protection from the state as an official, killing or hurting him can't be too hard. Especially since he has two dozen children or whatever.

And I don't blame him for not helping Ukraine enough, why isn't the US or Europe providing sattellite link for Ukraine? They don't have the tech? That would be embarrassing. And if the US really wanted SpaceX tech for Ukraine they can pay for it comfortably (probably are) and even force Musk to provide whatever coverage they want, I'm sure there are national security laws for this sort of thing.

SpaceX, Planet Labs etc provide their services and products through "the US". That is the government brokers their stuff.

Helping is an emotional word that doesn't represent the transactional nature of what's happening here.

winjer

Gold Member

Musk and his companies provide tech for the US military, so that means they have to comply with several regulations, but also means they are under US military protection.
Russia could never threaten or kill Musk without severe consequences. One of which would be the mobilization of the USA's public opinion against Russia.
It is also the US government that is giving direct aid to Ukraine. Not Musk and his companies. So he is shielded. And Russia has no power over him.

No country has a low earth orbit communications satellites infrastructure. Pay attention to the low earth part, as this is important for latency.
Ukraine, the USA and EU could probably find an alternative to Starlink, even if not as good with latency. But this would take some time.
But the issue is that Musk pulled the rug, right out of Ukraine, when they needed it the most.

FunkMiller

But the issue is that Musk pulled the rug, right out of Ukraine, when they needed it the most.

Yeah, there's no wiggle room on this for his defenders. He stopped support right at a time when the Ukrainians were launching a counter offensive to destroy Russian ships that have been engaged in killing Ukrainians. He did it willingly, and it's the move of someone who is pro-Russia.

If I were NATO, I'd be trying to distance myself from his companies as soon as possible.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Ukraine should thank Elon for preventing a major war.

You do realize that this invasion of Ukraine is the biggest conflict in Europe, since WW2?
Musk didn't prevent any war. He just sabotaged a major military operation by Ukrainians, to regain their own country.
He is little more than a traitor.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
You do realize that this invasion of Ukraine is the biggest conflict in Europe, since WW2?
Musk didn't prevent any war. He just sabotaged a major military operation by Ukrainians, to regain their own country.
Apologies, I was being sarcastic. If you see the complete tweet i quoted it will hopefully be apparent. The guy said it avoided a "major war" as if what's going on now is minor.

winjer

Gold Member
Apologies, I was being sarcastic. If you see the complete tweet i quoted it will hopefully be apparent. The guy said it avoided a "major war" as if what's going on now is minor.

Dude, sarcasm doesn't travel across fibber cables.
At least use "/sarcam" to denote it.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Exactly this, the US sanctions will prevent him from ever doing business in Russia again until they actually become fucking civilized, so he merely prevented the Ukrainians from striking at ships that are used to fire cruise missiles at civilian population centers, the next time that fleet fires missiles or blockades food and aid, everyone should tweet the death toll to Musk, cause they're on his hands the absolute cunt

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Dude, sarcasm doesn't travel across fibber cables.
At least use "/sarcam" to denote it.

Of course it does! Let me show you an example: I am eating a carrot.

Carefully note the deliberate choices in vocabulary, pacing, and sentence structure that leave absolutely no room for ambiguity about my tongue-in-cheekiness.

I am also a hamster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom