• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Yeah, at a time like this Poland and Ukraine shouldn't be bickering. I'm polish, so might be a bit biased and I'll say that I don't know enough about the situation but on one hand I don't think Poland should be pulling their weapons at a time like this, seems petty. On the other hand I can see if Ukraine is suing Poland, going after their own interest, then why shouldn't Poland look after its own interests. But Ukraine is doing a lot of the dirty work holding the Russians back from the possibility of invading the rest of Europe.

I'll be glad if they can resolve their issues and stay friends.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah, at a time like this Poland and Ukraine shouldn't be bickering. I'm polish, so might be a bit biased and I'll say that I don't know enough about the situation but on one hand I don't think Poland should be pulling their weapons at a time like this, seems petty. On the other hand I can see if Ukraine is suing Poland, going after their own interest, then why shouldn't Poland look after its own interests. But Ukraine is doing a lot of the dirty work holding the Russians back from the possibility of invading the rest of Europe.

I'll be glad if they can resolve their issues and stay friends.
I am considering if it's somehow russia intelligence throwing a bone between pl/ue.
Because we were great friends up to this point.

Poland sent A LOT of help and gear. More than I expected we even had. We accepted more than a million people. I work with Ukrainians. Everyone does. There are so many people.
but we never complained.
All of this went to shit after both Zelensky and Morawiecki threw a fit. No subtelty.
Zelensky didn't hesitate to call us Russian allies. I don't think I can forgive him for that. I know it;s war and they are fighting but after all- it's not our war and we don;t have to help... and we do. We help a ton.

And what am I seeing online now?
Tons of people saying "lol fuck Poland, they only helped because they had to" "Poland only helped to get rid of old gear" Polnd only helped to get new tanks from EU"
Motherfuckers... we have them Old soviet gear BECAUSE THEY WANTED IT. THEY HAD OLD AMO FOR OLD T72 TANKS.
But we also gave new gear, our own production KRABs. Modern weaponry. And more.

I am just disappointed.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I am considering if it's somehow russia intelligence throwing a bone between pl/ue.

Poland sent A LOT of help and gear. More than I expected we even had. We accepted more than a million people. I work with Ukrainians. Everyone does. There are so many people.
but we never complained.
All of this went to shit after both Zelensky and Morawiecki threw a fit. No subtelty.
Zelensky didn't hesitate to call us Russian allies. I don't think I can forgive him for that. I know it;s war and they are fighting but after all- it's not our war and we don;t have to help... and we do. We help a ton.

Tons of people saying "lol fuck Poland, they only helped because they had to" "Poland only helped to get rid of old gear" Polnd only helped to get new tanks from EU"
Motherfuckers... we have them Old soviet gear BECAUSE THEY WANTED IT. THEY HAD OLD AMO FOR OLD T72 TANKS.

I am just disappointed.

Poland went above and beyond with both military and humanitarian aid, we all know it the only people making noise are the useful idiots and morons, Ukraine is sinking under the weight of a war and economic blockade by Russia, whilst they are fighting for their survival now they can see the writing on the wall when this is all over and how much dept the country, id forgive them the odd blip thinking they are fighting a war on 2 fronts, add in the fact that your government is in an election year i believe so this spat smacks of political points gaining

Liljagare

#Ukrainian armored vehicles are operating beyond the final line of the #Russian defensive layer that Ukrainian forces in western #Zaporizhia Oblast are currently penetrating, although ISW is not yet prepared to assess that Ukrainian forces have broken fully through this Russian defensive layer.​

Ukraine Situation Report: Russia’s Main Defensive Line Breached​

Ukrainian armored vehicles break through the Surovikin Line​

:eek: So close atleast, hope we get confirmation soon that they are through! This would be a rough situation for RUSSia, very few troops to rotate in at this sector.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

but we never complained.

I am just disappointed.

Sounds like Poland did a lot, maybe give ukraine them a pass on this one since people they love are dying around them every day. It's a little different for them. I'm sure they still appreciate what has been done.

winjer

Gold Member

but we never complained.

I am just disappointed.

This situation is very unfortunate.
Poland has given the biggest help, in percentage of GDP, of all the countries. And has put a lot of political weight behind helping Ukraine.
So it's very underserving to be treated like this.

Ukraine is in a very difficult situation. Russia might not be the big super power some would have thought before the war. But it still has enough power to cause a lot of damage.
Ukrainian economy is in a very difficult situation, especially farmers, after the sea blockade.
So there is probably a lot of desperation among Ukrainians, that can make them say stupid things, such as these.

I hope both sides will remember that Putin and Russia are the real enemies. And that despite all the differences Poland and Ukraine might have, it's in their best interest to cooperate and find common ground.

FunkMiller

Sebastopol hit hard, just in time for this week's nuclear war as Russia must now nuke everyone.

Yes, yes. Massive damage done to major Russian infrastructure at the heart of its Black Sea fleet. It blatantly crosses the red lines Putin has laid down for starting a nuclear conflict.

Hd Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

And there will lots of dead Russian cunts from this. Excellent.

Last edited:
As originally coming from the Balkans, Eastern European countries falling out is sadly more predictable than where the sun rises. Have done and still do believe that Russia's strategy has been since they realized how incompetent their military was to basically push the war to an extent that eventually people will tire of supporting Ukraine. May come to pass. I wouldn't take bets on it.

Liljagare

Wish them luck, hope they can keep on going!!!!

Ukrainian forces have broken through in Verbove, top general says
The general leading Ukraine’s counteroffensive along the southern front line says his forces have broken through in Verbove – and predicts an even bigger breakthrough to come.
“On the left flank [near Verbove] we have a breakthrough and we continue to advance further,” Oleksandr Tarnavsky told CNN Senior International Correspondent Frederik Pleitgen during an interview on Friday, though he conceded his troops were moving slower than anticipated.
“Not as fast as it was expected, not like in the movies about the Second World War,” he said. “The main thing is not to lose this initiative (that we have). And, well, not to lose it in practice, with actions.”
The general’s claim is the latest indication by Ukrainian officials that inroads are being made on the southern front in the war with Russia.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/23/europe/ukraine-biggest-counteroffensive-to-come-intl-hnk/index.html

Oleksandr Tarnavsky, #Ukraine Commanding General leading the counteroffensive, confirms his forces achieved a breakthrough near Verbove.
“On the left flank [near Verbove] we have a breakthrough and we continue to advance further,” Tarnavsky told CNN. “The main thing is not to lose this initiative (that we have). And, well, not to lose it in practice, with actions.”

Also, how do you reach this level of idiocy?

Putin’s war machine risks running out of fuel, so Russia is banning the export of gasoline and diesel.​

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Cut the Yanks a bit of a break, half the government is full of morons and half of them are pro Russian ffs, better late than never but I'm failing to see the advantages of ATACMs over Storm Shadow which is more technologically advanced with a bigger payload, is it a range thing?

Range and quantity. The Storm shadow/SCALP line are better, but much fewer in number and can only be launched by specific Ukrainian planes (SU-24) that the Russians are trying to track and take out.

The ATACMS line have long range, are ground launched from HIMARS/M270 chassis and ideally the US can spare hundreds of them if needed.

Hopefully the Germans cave and provide the Taurus missiles that are akin to the Storm shadows.

No idea why the western countries aren’t working overtime to make more of these missiles

winjer

Gold Member

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/23/europe/ukraine-biggest-counteroffensive-to-come-intl-hnk/index.html

Putin’s war machine risks running out of fuel, so Russia is banning the export of gasoline and diesel.​

Very strange that one country that is on the top of the list of biggest oil producers, has to ban the export of gasoline and diesel.
My guess is that their refineries are in trouble, most likely due to sanctions on western equipment.

Very strange that one country that is on the top of the list of biggest oil producers, has to ban the export of gasoline and diesel.
My guess is that their refineries are in trouble, most likely due to sanctions on western equipment.
Those refineries, oil fields, and pipelines in Russia should be targets for the Ukraine's. They could do a lot of damage to Russia's economy and war.

Dr.D00p

No idea why the western countries aren’t working overtime to make more of these missiles

Storm Shadow has been out of production for years, can't make any more.

Updates & maintenance to their software and propulsion systems are what keeps them viable 20yrs after entering service.

They will be replaced with a new missile in the early 2030s.

-Zelda-

Banned

I am not very smart, so please bear with me. Won't this just mean less money coming in for Russia on the whole? Unless they are secretly working with China and N. Korea, anyway.

Tams

Storm Shadow has been out of production for years, can't make any more.

That's the first I've heard of them being put if production, let alone for years.

France have been running down their stockpile a bit, but that's got nothing to do with production.

And considering there have been various exports of Storm Shadow/SCALP, and they have been used recently in the likes of Yemen, Syria, and Libya; it would be likely they are still in production.

Liljagare

️The Armed Forces of Ukraine have already "reached" one logistics route of the Russians in the Bakhmut direction and are working to cut off others, - the head of the press service of the Eastern Group of the Armed Forces of Ukraine Ilya Yevlash.
"One of the routes that we can already shell is the Bakhmut-Horlivka highway, it is three kilometers from the contact line, it is the "working" distance for our mortars and UAVs," he noted.

sinnergy

️The Armed Forces of Ukraine have already "reached" one logistics route of the Russians in the Bakhmut direction and are working to cut off others, - the head of the press service of the Eastern Group of the Armed Forces of Ukraine Ilya Yevlash.
"One of the routes that we can already shell is the Bakhmut-Horlivka highway, it is three kilometers from the contact line, it is the "working" distance for our mortars and UAVs," he noted.

Great, bombs away.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Probably not the best look for the Ukraine. Definitely not good for Canada.

Yaroslav Hunka, a 98-year-old immigrant from Ukraine, was introduced by Anthony Rota, Speaker of the House of Commons, as “a Ukrainian Canadian war veteran from the Second World War who fought for Ukrainian independence against the Russians” and “a Ukrainian hero and a Canadian hero,” ignoring the horrific fact that Hunka served in the 14th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS, a Nazi military unit whose crimes against humanity during the Holocaust are well-documented."

Lets support and stop the Russian invasion but without honoring SS troops.

winjer

Gold Member
Probably not the best look for the Ukraine. Definitely not good for Canada.

Lets support and stop the Russian invasion but without honoring SS troops.

Reality is not as simple a good vs evil. Not even during WW2.
But let's start with Ukraine. Yes, Ukraine had around 4000 men joining the Nazis. But Ukraine also had 7 Million men fighting against the Nazi.
Current Russian propaganda will try to paint those 4000 as a sign that Ukraine is a Nazi state. But the reality is exactly the opposite, as there were many more Ukrainians fighting against the Nazi.
But even countries like France had men joining the Nazi army. The last SS division to surrender during WW2, was French. And the persecution and extradition of jews from France was not made by the Germans, but by the French police, lead by Maurice Papon.
Turkey had 2 divisions joining the SS. Spain had one division figthing alongside the Nazis, called the Blue Legion.
And the Nuremberg Trials were guarded by an Estonian SS division, the 20th Waffen Grenadier Division.
Finland joined Nazi Germany to retake it's territory from the Soviet Union.
Switzerland banks collaborated extensively with Nazi Germany.
Portugal was selling materials for Nazi Germany. And buying riffles from Germany.
King Edward VIII and many among the British nobility were supportive of Hitler and the Nazi regime.
American companies, like IBM was selling tech to Nazi Germany. And Ford was a avid fan of Hitler and a staunch antisemite.
But the country that most helped Nazi Germany, was the Soviet Union, led by Russia. For many years, they had collaboration projects to develop new weapons, hidden from the limitations of the Versailles treaty.
Russia supplied fuel and many materials for Germany rearmament. For the first couple of years, they were allies under the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact. Russia and Germany invaded Poland in September of 1939, in a two prong attack. Then dividing the country between the two.
Then we had hundreds of German engineers and scientists, being recruited by the USSR or the USA, post war. Many that had their hands blooded in war crimes.
And let's not forget Argentina, who welcomed thousands of Nazi war criminals into their country. Shielding them from a criminal war tribunal

Yes, this situation is unfortunate for Canada, as they failed to verify that guy was a Nazi.
But there are so many pointing fingers to go around, that it makes this situation pointless.

Liljagare

Finally!!! Hope the ATACMS arrived with the same shipment.

>**Zelensky confirms first Abrams tanks already in Ukraine**

>President Volodymyr Zelensky confirmed on Sept. 25 that the first U.S.-made Abrams tanks have arrived in Ukraine, thanking Washington for fulfilling the agreement.

>Zelensky didn't mention how many vehicles of the 31 tanks promised by Washington were delivered in the first batch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom