• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darius87

problem is at what pace the money and hardware came in at; not how much was sent in total.

The counter offensive starter way too late (imo cause Ukraine was waiting for their equipment to arrive and due to the stupid decision of holding Bakhmut). I know its easy to be an arm chair general with 20 20 hindsight. But that's just how I see it.
it's not because holding bakhmut, there was mud season and ongoing training, if ua wouldn't been holding bakhmut now ua would be holding kramatorsk, by defending bakhmut ua destroyed wagner there's nothing stupid about that.

BlackTron

I post on a videogame message board from the States.

Why would I have a plan for a geopolitical conflict halfway around the world in an area I know nothing about, informed by a goofy social media and an untrustworthy corporate media? I think a large component of "having a plan" for many, is that it feels good to believe you're morally superior to others online. My only plan is "War bad. Stop war."

quote-if-you-don-t-read-the-newspaper-you-re-uninformed-if-you-read-the-newspaper-you-re-mis-mark-twain-34-63-58.jpg

Although, to be honest, I'm pretty sure Mark Twain was a Putin shill as well. Brain dead no thinker.

I post on a videogame message board from the states, I have no idea about this area of the world I know nothing about, and it's totally wrong to feel morally superior to others online. My take: PULL OUT OF THE WAR.

Guys, it's wrong to chop down trees. They're too important for the environment. I know literally nothing about paper, and why should I, I just play games. What to do about paper should not even be a part of this question, what I do know is chopping trees=bad, so stop. Totally NOT an opinion made to feel morally superior to anyone else, and one I'm obviously entitled to have, due to its, uh...idk? Moral superiority, I guess?

Ironbunny

I post on a videogame message board from the States.

Why would I have a plan for a geopolitical conflict halfway around the world in an area I know nothing about, informed by a goofy social media and an untrustworthy corporate media? I think a large component of "having a plan" for many, is that it feels good to believe you're morally superior to others online. My only plan is "War bad. Stop war."

Fake news?...kinda low hanging fruit eh... My thought is genocide bad. Stop genocide and remember the words "never again". But for that you need to stop the war too. But before that there is the fight.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I post on a videogame message board from the states, I have no idea about this area of the world I know nothing about, and it's totally wrong to feel morally superior to others online. My take: PULL OUT OF THE WAR.

Guys, it's wrong to chop down trees. They're too important for the environment. I know literally nothing about paper, and why should I, I just play games. What to do about paper should not even be a part of this question, what I do know is chopping trees=bad, so stop. Totally NOT an opinion made to feel morally superior to anyone else, and one I'm obviously entitled to have, due to its, uh...idk? Moral superiority, I guess?
This is not the worst post in this thread. I'll give you that.

winjer

Gold Member
This is not the worst post in this thread. I'll give you that.

Are you really trying to defend that we should not help Ukraine defend itself from another Russian invasion?
That maybe we should just cross our hands and look away while people are massacred?
Or that we should be neutral in this conflict?

BlackTron

Are you really trying to defend that we should not help Ukraine defend itself from another Russian invasion?
That maybe we should just cross our hands and look away while people are massacred?

He doesn't know anything about that region of the world, so these questions are below him as a game forum person, he knows all he needs to know from watching anime, war=bad

Meicyn

Gold Member
You guys are going about this wrong. He doesn’t care because he thinks it doesn’t affect him. Reframe the conversation to how aggressive autocracies being allowed to conquer their neighbors threatens GAAS longterm and he will suddenly be invested.

BlackTron

You guys are going about this wrong. He doesn’t care because he thinks it doesn’t affect him. Reframe the conversation to how aggressive autocracies being allowed to conquer their neighbors threatens GAAS longterm and he will suddenly be invested.

Wait this threatens gaas? You finally convinced me to join the axis side

Tams

So, ummm, Xboxia has launched a special military operation into Nintenlandia, seized some territory and forced the people where it has taken control to play Mario Kart as a GaaS on the cloud. The rest of the Mario IP is at risk, and Starfox and F-Zero have not been heard of since - fears are that Xboxia have already destroyed them.

The Sonyian Alliance have sent hardware games to help Nintenlandia fight back, but immense damage is still being done to Nintenlandia, and even more of their IP is at risk of being turned into a GaaS on the cloud. Zelda and Pikmin are holding up well, but Smash Brothers is reliant on other IP so is struggling. Pokémon requires an external partner and is therefore suffering from supplies not getting through. To rescue the IP they have lost that is rightfully theirs, Nintenlandia must fight Xboxia.

The FCC have failed utterly to do anything. A have the EC. The CMA have valently tried to prevent Xboxia having more access to games for the invasion, sorry special military operation, but it seems even they have failed.

But hey, the head of Xboxia has said the annexation of Nintenlandia would be good for both Xboxia and Nintenlandia. In his own words, it would be 'a career moment' for him if it were to be achieved, according to a leaked email. He sees himself as Gamer the Great and the saviour of gaming.

Faith in the main leader in the Sonyian Alliance is waning somewhat, and there's rumour he may step down. Nintenlandia's leadership is trusted, but Nintenlandia alone do not have the resources to fight off Xboxia.

Plz no ban.

Last edited:

SiteSeer

maybe the neocon-neolib uniparty agenda of regime change & empire building hasn't benefited the world in aggregate but instead has fueled violence and death outside the us and degradation and decline within the us. yesterday middle east, today europe, tomorrow asia. then repeat. but okay lets argue the symptoms and don't think of the causes.

Meicyn

Gold Member
maybe the neocon-neolib uniparty agenda of regime change & empire building hasn't benefited the world in aggregate but instead has fueled violence and death outside the us and degradation and decline within the us. yesterday middle east, today europe, tomorrow asia. then repeat. but okay lets argue the symptoms and don't think of the causes.
please explain the causes for us dumb dumbs

winjer

Gold Member

Here comes the tinfoil hat conspiracy theories....

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
lets argue the symptoms and don't think of the causes

Okay let's think of the causes then. Basically, who fires the first shot?

yesterday middle east

Who was the cause of these wars? In other words, who was/were the aggressive imperialist(s)?

today europe

Who was the cause of these wars? In other words, who was/were the aggressive imperialist(s)?

tomorrow asia

Who looks to be the cause of these wars? In other words, who will be the aggressive imperialist(s)?

Once you have these causes written down, compare and contrast them.

winjer

Gold Member
what about the nord stream pipeline? what about france pulling out of niger?

The nord stream was sabotaged by Russia. Just days before, a Russian sub was seen operating in the area.

Niger is a good case of a country that has been destabilized by a military junta. Not by France.
The Economic Community of West African States and the West African Monetary and Economic Union have imposed some of the most stringent sanctions on Niger so far since the coup.
And let's remember that there are suspicions that this military coup was sponsored by Russia. Again, destabilizing African Nations.

SiteSeer

the sad truth for you is that the majority of americans are against this proxy war, the majority of right-leaning and a minority of those who are left leaning. beware: the cockroaches are spreading.

the sad truth for you is that the majority of americans are against this proxy war, the majority of right-leaning and a minority of those who are left leaning. beware: the cockroaches are spreading.
Lol, (I predict) 25 and going for an arts degree after 7 years and living in his parents basement or racking up a 200k student loan and thinking you know shit.

There is not a single person in this thread who wanted this war to start in the first place. We all want to see an end to it, but to sit here and lecture others, especially the country that is suffering the most to just give up and sue for peace is incredibly disingenuous. That is for Ukraine to decide. It's not like Russia is innocent in its involvement in proxy wars throughout the decades. They already had thier fair share of involvement pre-invasion by backing the pro-Russian separatists in the Donbas region.

I only referred to you as a cockroach because it speaks to your intellectual capacity as someone who soaks up Russian propaganda. Does the NATO alliance and the Western countries play some part in the pretext of this conflict? Sure. Is NATO solely responsible for the invasion of Ukraine? Absolutely not.

FUBARx89

It's always disappointing to see this thread has activity, then open it and see it's nothing about the war progress 😒

Yes, I'm aware I'm adding a new post. But you get what I mean.

Last edited:
It's always disappointing to see this thread has activity, then open it and see it's nothing about the war progress 😒
TBH, there really hasn't been that much significant progress since the last year. I've slowly started to realize how pointless it has been to follow this war daily in the past couple of months. Ukraine currently has the initiative and is very slowly making progress. This war has been an attritional grind for quite a while now.

FUBARx89

TBH, there really hasn't been that much significant progress since the last year. I've slowly started to realize how pointless it has been to follow this war daily in the past couple of months. Ukraine currently has the initiative and is very slowly making progress. This war has been an attritional grind for quite a while now.

Yeah but when something big happens, like the dry dock or black fleet command this topic is very good at getting that information (sometimes it's actually faster than the news site I read). So it's annoying when people come in just to start arguements.

I know opinions are like arseholes. Everyone has one. But ya shouldn't be running about showing ya arsehole off to everyone.......Unless you're a rent boy.

Yeah but when something big happens, like the dry dock or black fleet command this topic is very good at getting that information (sometimes it's actually faster than the news site I read). So it's annoying when people come in just to start arguements.

I know opinions are like arseholes. Everyone has one. But ya shouldn't be running about showing ya arsehole off to everyone.......Unless you're a rent boy.
Yeah, there have been some notable updates, Ukraine also finally got some ATACMS so that counts for something.

Aces High

That's some crazy shit right there.

I'm from Germany. After WW2, my country was divided into two parts:

The capitalist West and the communist East.

They had to build a fucking wall to keep people from fleeing the East. People risked their lifes and died with shots in their back or strangling themselves in barbed wire just to get out of the Russian-controlled communist regime.

The United States have their European air command in Ramstein, Germany. It's the biggest US military base outside the USA with more than 50,000 US soldiers and their families living there. This military presence is a key factor for Germany's wealth because it gives our country a high protection status without having to spend too much money on military ourselves. An attack on Germany is an attack on the USA. Due to this strong military presence, our country was able to spend much more money on economy and welfare within the past decades.

In 1994, after the fall of the Berlin wall and with the end if the of the cold war, the United States and Russia signed the Budapest Memorandum. As a result, the Ukraine, Belarus and Kazakhstan gave up their nuclear weapons. In return, the big nuclear powers guaranteed to respect their Independence and sovereignity.

Meanwhile, Germany tried to build an economic bridge to Russia. This concept was called "Wandel durch Handel" (engl.: change through trade). The goal was to solve global systemic conflicts with trade agreements that create wealth for everyone involved. The West has technology. Russia has resources. Win-win.

Russia gained political influence in Belarus and Kazakhstan and supported and/or fought wars in Georgia, Ossetia, Abkhazia, Transnistria, Tajikistan, Chechnya, and Dagestan to expand its geopolitical impact in Europe. At the same time, Russia accused NATO of expanding to the East.

In 2014, Russia broke the agreement of the Budapest Memorandum and attacked Ukraine. In fear of a nuclear war on European soil, the West hesitated to intervene. Germany was still convinced to befriend Putin through trade agreements. Which turned out to be the biggest mistake a German government has made after WW2.

In 2022, Russia started a full-scale invasion of Ukraine.

I don't think there's a good or a bad side when it comes to politics. Just different interests. Real life is no Hollywood movie and there's criminal scum on either side. But Russia is not a victim of a global conspiracy. Russians did this to themselves.

SiteSeer

That's some crazy shit right there.

I'm from Germany. After WW2, my country was divided into two parts:

The capitalist West and the communist East.

They had to build a fucking wall to keep people from fleeing the East. People risked their lifes and died with shots in their back or strangling themselves in barbed wire just to get out of the Russian-controlled communist regime.

The United States have their European air command in Ramstein, Germany. It's the biggest US military base outside the USA with more than 50,000 US soldiers and their families living there. This military presence is a key factor for Germany's wealth because it gives our country a high protection status without having to spend too much money on military ourselves. An attack on Germany is an attack on the USA. Due to this strong military presence, our country was able to spend much more money on economy and welfare within the past decades.

In 1994, after the fall of the Berlin wall and with the end if the of the cold war, the United States and Russia signed the Budapest Memorandum. As a result, the Ukraine, Belarus and Kazakhstan gave up their nuclear weapons. In return, the big nuclear powers guaranteed to respect their Independence and sovereignity.

Meanwhile, Germany tried to build an economic bridge to Russia. This concept was called "Wandel durch Handel" (engl.: change through trade). The goal was to solve global systemic conflicts with trade agreements that create wealth for everyone involved. The West has technology. Russia has resources. Win-win.

Russia gained political influence in Belarus and Kazakhstan and supported and/or fought wars in Georgia, Ossetia, Abkhazia, Transnistria, Tajikistan, Chechnya, and Dagestan to expand its geopolitical impact in Europe. At the same time, Russia accused NATO of expanding to the East.

In 2014, Russia broke the agreement of the Budapest Memorandum and attacked Ukraine. In fear of a nuclear war on European soil, the West hesitated to intervene. Germany was still convinced to befriend Putin through trade agreements. Which turned out to be the biggest mistake a German government has made after WW2.

In 2022, Russia started a full-scale invasion of Ukraine.

I don't think there's a good or a bad side when it comes to politics. Just different interests. Real life is no Hollywood movie and there's criminal scum on either side. But Russia is not a victim of a global conspiracy. Russians did this to themselves.
that's a reasonable take, unlike the usual dreck, but i don't buy it when the nato secretary just said they had a treaty russia put forward to keep ukraine neutral and rejected it. also there was something called the minsk agreements or whatever. either way it doesn't matter because the war will go on no matter the citizens' opinions, the faction in our government that is leading this charge will get their war hell or high water. just speaking as a citizen that's lived through the first gulf war to now, i'm just questioning why the hell we're in wars all the time. at the same time its hilarious to me how both the left and right of the american political spectrum can be made convinced in the necessity of any given war. so have at it, keep cheerleading this war. i'll sit on the sidelines and just mutter bullshit under my breath, as mentally limited cockroaches are wont to do.

Tams

that's a reasonable take, unlike the usual dreck, but i don't buy it when the nato secretary just said they had a treaty russia put forward to keep ukraine neutral and rejected it. also there was something called the minsk agreements or whatever. either way it doesn't matter because the war will go on no matter the citizens' opinions, the faction in our government that is leading this charge will get their war hell or high water. just speaking as a citizen that's lived through the first gulf war to now, i'm just questioning why the hell we're in wars all the time. at the same time its hilarious to me how both the left and right of the american political spectrum can be made convinced in the necessity of any given war. so have at it, keep cheerleading this war. i'll sit on the sidelines and just mutter bullshit under my breath, as mentally limited cockroaches are wont to do.

Hmmmm, who am I going to bother considering the opinion of?

The well thought out, considered, logical, and written opinion of someone who lives in part of the world that was and is heavily influenced and involved in this.

Or the rambling conspiracy theories of someone who's knowledge of it is 'something called the minsk agreements or whatever' [emphasis mine], and can't even use capital letters, let alone paragraphs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom