• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.
But are you. Or are you not.
And what are you not. But are you what. Or not what are you?
You Must Star Wars GIF by Regal

Ironbunny

NATO expansion forced Putin to do genocide and rape in Ukraine. We should remove guns from Ukraine the drive for peace not for war. War bad mkay. Stop being such a war mongering arm chair captains who loves blood and guts. 'Said while hip shooting my barrett m82'

FunkMiller

About fucking time, NATO needs to get in on this, Ukraine needs help and Russia needs to be put back across its borders and walled off from the civilized world

Can't wait to hear from the Russian shills about "escalation"

The UK has shamed a great many other NATO countries in its response to this war. First with weapons, first with manpower.

EDIT: the shills on social media are really taking this well. Absolutely bombarding sites with posts today.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I doubt these UK troops will fight the Russian army.
Rather, they will probably be used to keep Belarus in check, freeing Ukrainian units from that border.

FunkMiller

I doubt these UK troops will fight the Russian army.
Rather, they will probably be used to keep Belarus in check, freeing Ukrainian units from that border.

I'd suggest that 'British troops on the ground in Ukraine, training Ukrainian soldiers' is both the absolute truth - and probably a very good smoke screen that allows UK special forces to operate offensively.

winjer

Gold Member
I'd suggest that 'British troops on the ground in Ukraine, training Ukrainian soldiers' is both the absolute truth - and probably a very good smoke screen that allows UK special forces to operate offensively.

I doubt UK troops will ever engage Russian troops.
For all the non-sense Russia talks about red lines, having troops from a NATO country fighting Russian troops, would be too big a risk.

FunkMiller

I doubt UK troops will ever engage Russian troops.
For all the non-sense Russia talks about red lines, having troops from a NATO country fighting Russian troops, would be too big a risk.

I very much doubt a lot of the sabotage being conducted in Russia is from wholly Ukrainian special forces. No, we'll never see British troops actively and openly engaging Russians, but I'd be wiling to bet quite a lot that NATO special forces have been operating on the ground in Ukraine, and will continue to do so.

winjer

Gold Member
I very much doubt a lot of the sabotage being conducted in Russia is from wholly Ukrainian special forces. No, we'll never see British troops actively and openly engaging Russians, but I'd be wiling to bet quite a lot that NATO special forces have been operating on the ground in Ukraine, and will continue to do so.

One thing are soldiers from a NATO country. Another thing are former soldiers from a NATO country, that volunteered to fight for Ukraine.
The first case engages one country directly against the other. The second, gives plausible deniability.

For example. During WW2, when Finland was invaded, Sweden didn't send soldiers to help.
But all of a sudden, thousands of Swedish soldiers were given extensive vacation time or were dismissed, so they could go help the Finns.

Liljagare

Russia has become a police state without enough police, due to a crisis in policing caused in part by the war in Ukraine. Poor salaries, lack of funding, political purges and a focus on punishing political dissent are resulting in murders and rapes going unpunished

Today, the Main Intelligence Directorate of the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine successfully attacked the parking lot of Russian helicopters in Sochi, - Ukrainska Pravda with reference to its own sources.

In Z-land there is less and less trust in the success of the Special Operation. This propagandist is claiming there is a shortage of shells (again), lack of counter battery artillery, that Ukraine has more powerful recon/intelligence and that Russians occur heavy losses.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I imagine putting NATO aka UK boots on the ground in Ukraine will really push Putin into a difficult corner, does he strike the training camps and therefore potentially kill UK troops and thus invoke article 5

"Article 5 provides that if a NATO Ally is the victim of an armed attack, each and every other member of the Alliance will consider this act of violence as an armed attack against all members and will take the actions it deems necessary to assist the Ally attacked"

This would then give NATO the excuse it needs to ratchet up the support and pull the Americans in, part of me thinks this is in response to the uncertainty of wether or not the yanks will support the war if the orange monkey gets in and the Russian republican party withdraw support.

I would love to see NATO give Ukraine all the help it needs to get this war over and done with and it makes me proud that the UK is leading the charge here

An attack on NATO troops in a non-NATO country wil not trigger article 5.

For the purpose of Article 5, an armed attack on one or more of the Parties is deemed to include an armed attack:

• on the territory of any of the Parties in Europe or North America, on the Algerian Departments of France 2, on the territory of Turkey or on the Islands under the jurisdiction of any of the Parties in the North Atlantic area north of the Tropic of Cancer;
  • on the forces, vessels, or aircraft of any of the Parties, when in or over these territories or any other area in Europe in which occupation forces of any of the Parties were stationed on the date when the Treaty entered into force or the Mediterranean Sea or the North Atlantic area north of the Tropic of Cancer.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
An attack on NATO troops in a non-NATO country wil not trigger article 5.
It mighten trigger all the members... do you really think the Turks would get involved even if a NATO country actually got attacked, nah same with some of those other questionable cuntries, nah if UK troops where deliberately targeted and killed I'd like to think the US would use this as a good excuse to ratchet up their support

The both sides are bad stuff is really annoying. I am weary of Ukrainian corruption, as many in Europe are and this will be still an issue going forward but that is quite frankly the only issue. I really do blame the whole liberal cultural relativism crap. Its not worse, it's just different. European Culture is superior to that of Russia, China etc. You will get the same nonsense if China invades Taiwan. I'm sorry, Taiwan is more civilised than China and we shouldn't be afraid to say it.

Liljagare

"So when a Ukrainian tanker with the callsign “Kochevnik” ran into problems with his captured Russian T-72B3—problems local expertise couldn’t immediately solve—he called Uralvagonzavod tech support. And incredibly, the help line actually helped."

:messenger_beaming:

GUR confirmed: Ukrainian drones attacked the Russian aircraft factory where Kh-59 missiles were produced
"On October 1, 2023, as a result of an attack on the Smolensk Aviation Plant, the production process of X-59 missiles of various modifications was disrupted. According to confirmed data, three out of four drones hit the target, causing significant damage to the production facilities of the military enterprise of the state-aggressor."

Last edited:

BlackTron

"So when a Ukrainian tanker with the callsign “Kochevnik” ran into problems with his captured Russian T-72B3—problems local expertise couldn’t immediately solve—he called Uralvagonzavod tech support. And incredibly, the help line actually helped."

That's pretty funny but if you read it, it doesn't sound like they actually helped him accomplish anything, he just sent them a detailed feedback/error report disguised as a troll. The report was so good, they connected him to a director to properly vent about all the tank's issues. It probably won't make much difference in the end but I'm not sure calling the enemy with battlefield performance data on a new tank so you can troll is a great idea...

Liljagare

Armenia ratifies ICC Rome Statute in show of defiance against Russia
Ahead of the vote, Kremlin spokesperson Dmitri Peskov said that Moscow would view any move to join the international court as "extremely hostile" towards Russia.
The Armenian Parliament has voted to ratify the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court, acknowledging the jurisdiction of the court.
"Sixty deputies voted in favour of ratification, 20 against. The decision has been made," Parliament Speaker Alen Simonyan announced on Wednesday, Russian state-owned media TASS reported.
Ahead of the vote, Kremlin spokesperson Dmitri Peskov said that Moscow would view any move to join the international court as "extremely hostile" towards Russia.
https://www.euronews.com/2023/10/03...me-statute-in-show-of-defiance-against-russia

Warsaw and Kyiv announced Tuesday they had agreed to speed up the transit of Ukrainian cereal exports through Poland to third countries.

Russia Accidentally Reveals Addresses of Putin's Secret Service
Russian authorities accidentally revealed the addresses of the country's secret military buildings, institutions, and spy homes, in Moscow and in St. Petersburg, an investigative site found.
The Dossier Center, a project launched by Russian opposition figure Mikhail Khodorkovsky, found the addresses listed in a 434-page document titled "Special Group", which was published on the Moscow City Hall website. The document listed properties where there must be "no blackouts."
The list reportedly included a range of top-secret government facilities, homes belonging to GRU (the Main Directorate of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation) officers and President Vladimir Putin's secret service, an ammunition depot, and more.
https://www.newsweek.com/russia-reveals-addresses-putin-secret-service-1831305

Wonder what RuSSia will look like in 10-15 years..

Ukrainian forces marginally advanced in the #Donetsk-Zaporizhia Oblast border area.

And wth? Drunk driver incident?

Train hit by Russian air defence in Donetsk region: there are dead occupiers.

Last edited:

TwinB242

Wow Kevin Mccarthy was just voted out of the House Speaker role. This could have bad ramifications for Ukraine. He always supported sending aid but there's a possibility that whoever takes his place could be against it.

Last edited:

Liljagare

The head of the Russian occupation administration of Zaporizhia, Yevgeny Balitsky, said that Russia’s goal is to occupy not only Ukraine, but also the Baltic countries, Poland and Finland. Because these states are "the historical lands of Russia".

Here are some recent key updates for the past 7 days:
  • Russian military is expected to deploy at least a brigade-sized force with enhanced offensive capabilities in the near future.
  • Russian forces made multiple unsuccessful attempts to reclaim positions south of Bakhmut, resulting in significant losses.
  • Russians are currently facing challenges with their artillery barrels, but they are actively pursuing solutions to address them.
  • Recent Ukrainian forces' attacks deep into russian territory have necessitated adjustments to russian logistical routes and methods, leading to added challenges.
  • Russian command appears to maintain confidence in their ability to defend Tokmak and its surrounding areas.
  • At the same time, it continues to struggle with communications and the supply of high-quality communication devices to its units.

Liljagare

Russians in Tokmak began to panic: families and entire educational institutions are being evacuated.​

Thats right, get out you ватник scum.

Quote from Fedorov (Mayor of Russian-occupied Melitopol): "‘There is no panic, but there is panic'".

Last edited:

Liljagare

More interesting news from today.

US and EU look for legal grounds to transfer $300 billion of Russian assets to Ukraine – Blinken​

"Homing All the Way Killer"

Spain to provide six HAWK launchers to Ukraine – Zelensky
President Zelensky mentioned that the Government of Spain endorsed a decision to send six HAWK launchers to Ukraine.
“Yes, it will be joint work with partners under the Spanish presidency. I strongly believe we will be able to bring all these systems together, and they will be delivered to Ukraine,” Zelensky noted.
Additionally, Germany is working to send an additional Patriot system to Ukraine.
“With due respect to all partners, I believe that today it is the only system that can counter such threats and such mass killings, because the Patriot system removes any missiles of the Russian villain in its path,” Zelensky added.
https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-de...e-six-hawk-launchers-to-ukraine-zelensky.html

acm2000

if theyre gonna do that then the money should be controlled by the countries involved, and also kept aside to help rebuild the place after this is over.

The actual quote says nothing about frontlines or tanks:

Quote from Blinken: "My own view is you broke it, you bought it. And so the Russians having broken it, they ought to pay for it. And one way to do that would be through the use of these assets. We have to make sure that there is a legal basis to do that. And as I said, since most of the assets are in Europe, Europeans also have to be convinced that there’s a basis to do it."

But "you broke it, you bought it" is a bit of a clumsy phrase in this context because Russia would very much agree with the sentiment.

Liljagare

2nd consecutive day of deadly Russian missile strikes targeting civilian areas in Ukraine, this time central Kharkiv - devastated early in the war but for months living in relative calm after Russian forces were pushed out of the broader region. Fear is returning as winter nears.

Kharkiv. It's already known about 27 wounded civilians and one killed child [due to] the russian attack with Iskander [missiles this morning].

This is so important. When you watch these clips you’ll know what must be done.
Only victory and meaningful justice can end the cycle of aggression. And, every day, more evidence is collected for a Special Tribunal on Russian aggression.
Let’s get #SpecialTribunalNow trending.
A Special Tribunal on Russian aggression, authorised by the UN, has been backed since the start of Russia’s full-scale war by leading peace advocates and experts in international law - from Nuremberg prosecutor Ben Ferencz to former UN SG Ban Ki-moon. The campaign keeps building momentum because Russian aggression only worsens in the absence of consequences. It is Ukrainian activists documenting crimes on the frontline who are at the centre of pushing for this.
The late Victoria Amelina was a key advocate. Her death in yet another Russian war crime has galvanised many more activists in Ukraine and around the world (led by @fedundana) to demand a #SpecialTribunalNow.
They made this video, so please join me in amplifying it and their campaign as much as possible. And a special thank you to @juliadavisnews for documenting so many confessions. Please also follow her and the Russian Media Monitor on YouTube.

[A 9-minute compilation of russians on state TV and russian government officials inciting the genocide of Ukrainians.]

Last edited:

Liljagare

In this video on the right is Andriy Kozyr, the soldier who was reburied and commemorated in Hroza, Kharkiv Oblast on October 6. The photo shows his family, who were in the cafe during the Russian missile attack and died as a result. On the left is his son Denys, daughter Liza, and wife Alina.

Liljagare

Ukraine delivers nearly 2,000 AI-powered drones to the troops.

https://english.nv.ua/nation/ukrain...d-drones-to-the-troops-war-news-50358855.html

Zelenskyy: "The current leadership of Russia always does what it has done before. They repeat all the mistakes. They repeat all evil. And when they do not succeed, they think that they allegedly did not do enough evil for it to succeed. Such crazy logic.
This winter, russian terrorists will again try to destroy our power system. They are unable to accept that Ukraine will not be conquered anyway.
A lot of journalists, public figures and ordinary people have supported us now and throughout this war. Ukraine extremely appreciates every show of support. Our victory will be a joint victory of all the people who believe that evil and hatred must always lose."

https://www.president.gov.ua/news/vigrati-cyu-zimu-projti-vsi-skladnoshi-j-dati-zahist-nashim-86153

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Ukraine delivers nearly 2,000 AI-powered drones to the troops.

https://english.nv.ua/nation/ukrain...d-drones-to-the-troops-war-news-50358855.html

Zelenskyy: "The current leadership of Russia always does what it has done before. They repeat all the mistakes. They repeat all evil. And when they do not succeed, they think that they allegedly did not do enough evil for it to succeed. Such crazy logic.
This winter, russian terrorists will again try to destroy our power system. They are unable to accept that Ukraine will not be conquered anyway.
A lot of journalists, public figures and ordinary people have supported us now and throughout this war. Ukraine extremely appreciates every show of support. Our victory will be a joint victory of all the people who believe that evil and hatred must always lose."

https://www.president.gov.ua/news/vigrati-cyu-zimu-projti-vsi-skladnoshi-j-dati-zahist-nashim-86153

Then start bombing russians power supply's with ai drones and do the same shit back. Once there people are dying from the cold, maybe they get a wake up call. honestly ukraine needs to stop playing it safe and EU + US need to start delivering long range missles that can hit anywhere in russia.

Also EU and US should put a ultimatum against russia that if they keep going, its time to escalate it and start bombing there infastructure and power stations to dirt.

FunkMiller

Putin now doing the only thing he can to draw attention away from his Ukrainian depredations : foment unrest in flashpoints across the world. First it’s Israel. I wouldn’t be surprised to see uprisings in Africa next, with Kosovo also flaring up again.

We all spent decades appeasing him, and letting him get his claws into places he can leverage, and now we are paying for it.

winjer

Gold Member
Putin now doing the only thing he can to draw attention away from his Ukrainian depredations : foment unrest in flashpoints across the world. First it’s Israel. I wouldn’t be surprised to see uprisings in Africa next, with Kosovo also flaring up again.

We all spent decades appeasing him, and letting him get his claws into places he can leverage, and now we are paying for it.

He already did it in Niger.

Liljagare

Biden considering huge ‘one and done’ Ukraine aid package
US president wants to get issue sorted until next election, say insiders, as Republican sceptics continue to cause problems
Joe Biden is considering a “one-and-done” spending bill to fund the war in Ukraine until the next presidential election in an attempt to overcome an impasse with Republicans
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/10/07/joe-biden-huge-final-ukraine-aid-package/
Biden intends to ask Congress for a record package of military and humanitarian aid to Ukraine. The size of the package may reach $100 billion (!) which should be enough until November 2024.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom