• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hudo

What happened to Reagans republicans? Didn't he cause the collapse of the USSR?

When did they turn into Russian simps?
While Reagan's "let's outspend the USSR and make them spend even more money they don't have on their military"-strategy helped accelerating the demise of the USSR, the USSR's downfall ultimately came from within. Their economic policies were just shit for the long-term. And also their personnel policies were even shittier (and influenced all of their other policies). Having a former shoe salesman as science minister or a former carpenter be your minister of finance is a fucking recipe for disaster.

From another point of view: It's actually impressive how far that country got despite all that.

sinnergy

"One and done" :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Doesn’t matter , it is a good thing that Biden tries to do, because it could all change after a new president. as we have seen with Hittler , after a couple of years it’s a full on world war. The problem is that people who aren’ t in the continent of the war think they can ignore it. And to be honest there are even countries in Europe that have that mentality.

Last edited:

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
there hasnt been media coverage of the Russian Occupation for months i feel like. Only place i see updates about it is here.

Just need ukraine to stay focused and in it. Screw media coverage.

This Israel stuff is certainly gonna draw media attention because american citizens were actually killed as well as isreal being a closer ally than ukraine in general

Liljagare

Over the summer, Ukraine almost certainly liberated at least 125 square kilometres of territory on this axis.

Russia continues its daily terror of Kherson. Tonight, Russians shelled the Kherson region with artillery and MLRS.
Eleven Kherson residents were injured, including a 27-year-old woman and her 9-month-old daughter, who were hospitalized.

russians keep terrorizing peaceful citizens of Kherson. This is the fallout from another overnight [attack].

Ukraine’s missile hits Crimea’s Dzhankoi, army conducts minor advances in the south. On 7 October 2023, Ukrainian forces struck Crimea with a missile and drone strike, hitting railway hub Dzhankoi. Armed forces continued tactical advance in the south.

https://euromaidanpress.com/2023/10...onducts-minor-advances-in-the-south/?swcfpc=1

Last edited:

Hudo

there hasnt been media coverage of the Russian Occupation for months i feel like. Only place i see updates about it is here.

Just need ukraine to stay focused and in it. Screw media coverage.

This Israel stuff is certainly gonna draw media attention because american citizens were actually killed as well as isreal being a closer ally than ukraine in general
I think even without a lot of media attention, there are a lot of interests involved in getting Ukraine back on track, helping them out and ensure that Russia doesn't try shit like this ever again. Especially in the grain sector, Ukraine's state of war can be felt.

Liljagare

Russian forces are intensifying mining efforts in the Robotyne-Verbove area and seek to fix Ukrainian forces on areas of the front away from western #Zaporizhia Oblast. http://isw.pub/UkrWar100823

4/ @CSIS observed satellite imagery showing that rail traffic between North Korea and #Russia “dramatically” increased since Russian President Vladimir #Putin met with North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un on September 12-17. Link: https://beyondparallel.csis.org/dra...a-border-rail-traffic-after-kim-putin-summit/

My latest dispatch from #Odesa with @dansabbagh on Ukraine's unexpected progress in the Black Sea. Russia's fleet has left Sevastopol, a new "grain corridor" is working, and Kyiv has been striking occupied Crimea with drones and Storm Shadows.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-attacks-on-land-conflict-at-sea-signals-hope

Last edited:

Liljagare

In the Tokmak direction near Zaporizhzhia's Novoprokopivka, Ukrainian forces successfully fend off a critical Russian flank advance, gaining more ground and reducing the viability of similar Russian attacks in the future.

Russia is interested in igniting a war in the Middle East so that a new source of pain and suffering will weaken world unity, add divisions and contradictions and thereby help Russia destroy freedom in Europe, - Zelensky. We know how to counter this threat. And we are preparing appropriate steps. And most importantly, we defend the need for maximum world unity.

Angry Kicking And Screaming GIF

Liljagare

Ukrainian forces continued counteroffensive operations and reportedly advanced in western #Zaporizhia Oblast and near #Bakhmut on October 9 amid reports of deteriorating weather conditions in #Ukraine.

1/2 @molfar_agency has identified military personnel of one of the largest airbases in russia, "Engels-2."
From there, Tu-95 takes off to shell Ukrainian cities and kill people.
We publish the personal data of 75 colonels, commanders, and pilots, responsible for missile terror
2/2 Inside the “Engels-2” airbase: the personal data of employees: https://molf.ar/46qGd2W
#RussiaUkraineWar #RussiaisATerroistState #Engels #CrimesAgainstHumanity #WarCrimes

Pro-Russian source Romanov about the lack of counter battery fire in Nova Kakhovka, occupied Kherson region.
"We can’t organize a counter-battery while the Ukrainians stupidly blast us with artillery all day long. We urgently need to do something about it, please help."

Oooops.. :D :D

Last edited:

Xyphie

If it turns out Russia is sabotaging non-Russian owned infrastructure in the Baltic (With Nord Stream you could at least try to make the argument that it was majority-owned (51%) by Gazprom) that's a massive deal and we'll really need to reassess offshore wind and HVDC transmission cables for decarbonization purposes in-lieu of on-shore options.

Last edited:

Liljagare

Things are rough around Avdiivka.. :\

Spokesman of the General Staff, Andriy Kovalev, said that the Russians, with forces of up to 3 battalions supported by tanks and armored vehicles, intensified their offensive near Avdiivka.
Meanwhile, the AFU have improved their tactical position in the Robotyne area and are continuing their assaults east of Klishchiivka and Andriivka.

This swarm of FPV drones is thanks to each and every one of you!
The first batch of 5000+ attack drones, purchased thanks to Operation Unity, a fundraiser by U24, @BackAndAlive and @monobankua is already in Ukraine.
All drones will be supplemented with Ukrainian-made ammunition, and distributed among dozens of brigades of the Defense Forces of Ukraine afterwards.
Thank you to everyone who joined in and helped us raise over 235,000,000 UAH towards 10,000 FPV drones in just three days 🫶🏻

Russia loses 820 more Russian soldiers, Su-25 jet, air defence system, 34 tanks, and 91 armoured combat vehicles over past 24 hours​

NATO Secretary General Stoltenberg in Brussels:
"We already have €2.4 bilion in framework contracts for increased munition supplies. We continuously ramp up production to help Ukraine fight this war and let Ukraine win this war. We continue to gather more support for Ukraine."

Two Ukrainian brothers coordinated deadly Russian missile attack on cafe in Hroza.
Ukraine’s Security Service identified Volodymyr and Dmytro Mamon, 30 and 23, who helped Russia to carry out attack on the cafe (55 killed), knowing there would be acquaintances from the home village.

https://euromaidanpress.com/2023/10...ly-russian-missile-attack-on-a-cafe-in-hroza/

Today, I addressed the Ukraine Defense Contact Group, or Ramstein meeting, expressing my gratitude to all of its nations for their tireless work and strong joint decisions they have made. I outlined our vision and priority defense needs as winter approaches.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

So last year Russia lost it's seat on the UN council for Human Rights.
These assholes now tried to get their seat back. But were voted out again. :messenger_beaming:

Cyberpunkd

Not to be a party pooper but does anyone find it strange Ukraine is getting the whole of Western worlds support and still cannot win or advance in 18 months?

Darius87

Not to be a party pooper but does anyone find it strange Ukraine is getting the whole of Western worlds support and still cannot win or advance in 18 months?
they fighting russia not hamas at ~1000km fronline, if ua had long range missiles and f-16's, western tanks and armour year earlier then russians wouldn't have fortified theyr positions as much as they have now. I bet situation at front would have been much better, now ua must grind through mines without air support and they're doing great job destroying enemy. Prepare for a long war because i don't think ua could free all their land the only way is free crimea and expect putin to fall out of window.

ThisIsMyDog

Little is said about it, but equipment support for Ukraine is quite limited in relation to the needs, Russia has mobilized and dug in hundreds of thousands of reservists on the frontline, to get through without the support of the air force which Ukraine practically does not have is VERY HARD.

It's not just about quantity but quality, see for example the number of tanks delivered to Ukraine, 575, impressive right?
But more than half of them are obsolete T-72 from Poland, the number of modern machines is less than 30, 18 Leo 2A6 from Germany, 10 Leo 2A5 from Sweden.

But yes I think the most important problem is the shortage of air force capabilities.

winjer

Gold Member

Only recently have they received some western tanks. And F-16s are still to come.
Also, Russia had a whole winter and spring to create a defensive line. There are more land mines in those frontlines in Ukraine, than in any other part of the world.
And of course, Russia is not as strong as a western power, but they are still strong enough to hold a line.
It's going to take some time. And more advanced western weapons.
Ukraine also has been fighting with one hand behind their backs, because they can't use western long range weapons to hit inside of Russia.

ThisIsMyDog

Only recently have they received some western tanks. And F-16s are still to come.
Also, Russia had a whole winter and spring to create a defensive line. There are more land mines in those frontlines in Ukraine, than in any other part of the world.
And of course, Russia is not as strong as a western power, but they are still strong enough to hold a line.
It's going to take some time. And more advanced western weapons.
Ukraine also has been fighting with one hand behind their backs, because they can't use western long range weapons to hit inside of Russia.
And they are fighting not a Western power but Ukraine, the poorest country in Europe with half the economy of the Czech Republic and a huge corruption problem, at least before this war. Often people forget these realities, yet Ukraine has bravely defended itself and will continue to fight.

Liljagare

Avdiivka axis: the Ukrainian defenders are bravely holding the line, repelled 10x enemy attacks near Avdiivka and another 8x attacks in the areas east of Stepove and southeast of Sjeverne.
The occupiers launched more than 10x air strikes in the vicinity of Avdiivka.

US provides $1.15 billion in grant funding to Ukraine. Ukraine's state budget has received a $1.15 billion grant from the U.S. via the World Bank's Multi-Donor Trust Fund, Ukraine's Finance Ministry announced on Oct. 11.

Canada's Minister of National Defense Bill Blair has announced that they will provide Ukraine with a new defense aid package totaling $19 million. It will include winter clothing and equipment such as shoes, heat sinks, sleeping bags and military uniforms.
Blair also announced that Canada will also supply additional supplies from stock:
➡️2000 155-mm shells.
➡️Thousands of smoke shells.
➡️2260 gas masks.
➡️277 1000-pound aircraft bombs and associated fuse assemblies.
➡️Various types of 76mm naval ammunition.

Lithuania has a new support package including 155 mm rounds and NASAMS launchers.
Our new military support package includes delivery of two NASAMS launchers that we bought in the summer, acquisition of 155 mm ammunition and winter supplies, such as electric generators, army camp beds, clothing. Also, continued training & rehabilitation of Ukrainian soldiers.

Ukraine Defence Contact Group meeting — most important results:
🇺🇸 $200 million — ammunition for air defense, artillery and missile ammunition, aviation weapons, anti-tank weapons
🇬🇧 €115 million — aid package, demining, equipment maintenance
🇩🇰 Transfer of F-16 at the beginning of next year
🇫🇮 €95 million - a new aid package
🇨🇦 $25 million for winter preparation
🇧🇪 F-16 pilots training, F-16 aircraft at 2025, substantial technical support
🇳🇴 $18.5 million for demining
🇪🇸 Additional air defense systems, help in preparation for winter, €1.5 million for demining
🇩🇪 Missiles for air defense and tanks
🇧🇬 English courses for F-16 pilots
🇱🇹 2 NASAMS launchers, ammunition and winter supplies
Grateful to every partner country for the substantial impact in strengthening #UArmy.
#Ramstein 16 will have a significant impact on our victory!

Great Britain will transfer Terrahawk Paladin stationary anti-aircraft guns to Ukraine.They are used to protect infrastructure objects from drones.The range of destroying an air target is up to 2 km from 600-800 meters.

Norway, Sweden and Denmark to jointly buy artillery shells for Ukraine​

Last edited:

So last year Russia lost it's seat on the UN council for Human Rights.
These assholes now tried to get their seat back. But were voted out again. :messenger_beaming:

On my. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Liljagare

Russian losses per 12/10/23 reported by the Ukrainian general staff.+990 men+42 tanks+44 APVs+32 artillery systems +2 MLRS +21 UAVs+1 cruise missiles.

Frontline report: Russia’s costly assault on Avdiivka yields minimal gains at this time launched a massive, coordinated offensive on the held city of Avdiivka, bringing fighter jets, helicopters, hundreds of tanks and thousands of troops to bear.

In recent days, Avdiivka, an operationally vital settlement near Donetsk, emerged as a frontline hotspot. Our team has prepared this brief follow-up report to offer an overview of recent developments that took place between October 10th and 11th.

Chart of RuSSian daily ground attacks.

Ukraine’s Black Sea Humanitarian Corridor is making food exports possible. 19 ships have left.

Next up, Putler jugend ?!?

Last edited:

TwinB242

I don't expect much good news these next few months. Ukraine support and coverage was already dwindling down, and now everybody's attention is shifting to the Israel/Gaza conflict. Hopefully they'll at least have enough supplies to fend off Russian's renewed offensives, but when it comes to them actually taking ground and liberating a significant amount of territory? There's just no chance of that happening unfortunately.

acm2000

I don't expect much good news these next few months. Ukraine support and coverage was already dwindling down, and now everybody's attention is shifting to the Israel/Gaza conflict. Hopefully they'll at least have enough supplies to fend off Russian's renewed offensives, but when it comes to them actually taking ground and liberating a significant amount of territory? There's just no chance of that happening unfortunately.
that conflict wont last long.

Liljagare

Spain to send 6 Hawk air defense missile systems.

Estonian government approves transfer of frozen Russian assets to Ukraine.

Russians begin withdrawal from Tokmak amid Ukrainian advance on the Zaporizhzhya front.

Ukrainian forces continued counteroffensive operations near #Bakhmut and in western #Zaporizhia Oblast and reportedly advanced in both sectors of the front on October 12

After amassing forces secretly near Donetsk's Avdiivka, Russians launched a massive tank offensive but were ambushed and lost over 100 vehicles to mines and Ukrainian defenders.

Why would the braintrust of Putin, Shoigu and General G launch an attack on Avdiivka given their disposition of troops in the east?

RAÏSanÏa

There's only so much airtime and the immediacy of the threat means it has to be shared, which decreases coverage, but not support. It's seen by most observers as an escalation by the same type of anti-Western aligned forces.

Russia is proving to have been very prepared to be well dug in hard. Revealing how much worse it could've been if their initial grand invasion plans succeeded and these fascist meat waves would be coming at borders further west as Ukraine was genocided. If not averted by efforts it could've been a whole other level of war horror to deal with as this Gaza/Israel kicking off. Awareness of this already had nations hardening and support for Ukraine unwavering. Those Gaza attacks pushes Western allied efforts forward in grand strategy by allowing movement as diverse groups shift into same directions on issues as enemies are revealed and general understanding increases.

Thaedolus

It’s also compounded with the weather changing…ideally we’d be looking at some sort of decisive victory by now but with everything else going on…at least F-16s on their way

FunkMiller

I don't know... as my post above suggests, I'm not sure NATO having a very good excuse to park carrier groups off the coast of the eastern mediterranean is a bad thing for the war in Ukraine.

You now have easily the most destructive force on earth within easy striking distance of Russian C&C, and a good reason for being there. Also, if the west can provide a demonstrable link between Iran/Russia and Hamas (and it fucking can) you have further evidence to provide that destroying Russia's ability to make war weakens its axis, and prevents further civilian loss of life in multiple countries.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I don't know... as my post above suggests, I'm not sure NATO having a very good excuse to park carrier groups off the coast of the eastern mediterranean is a bad thing for the war in Ukraine.

You now have easily the most destructive force on earth within easy striking distance of Russian C&C, and a good reason for being there. Also, if the west can provide a demonstrable link between Iran/Russia and Hamas (and it fucking can) you have further evidence to provide that destroying Russia's ability to make war weakens its axis, and prevents further civilian loss of life in multiple countries.

You are probably right.
Having these ships in the vicinity might help secure shipping lanes to and from Ukraine.

One of the reasons why Mao didn't invade Taiwan in the 50s, was because the US had several ships in the area, due to the Korean war.
Those ships were not there to protect Taiwan, but they actively served as a deterrent for invasion.

They don't have the bodies. It's been a stalemate for a year and people don't wanna admit it. On top of that Zalensky wants all of Crimea back and they're not even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom