• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Russia will leave with nothing, and have a cratered economy for all their effort. That's the offramp.
I mean, they would be nice. But Russia has the capability to inflict severe damage to Ukraine from the air if they decide they want to. So while it might be cathartic to imagine a scenario in which the Russians are repelled and sent home with their tails between their legs, I don’t think that is very likely. Some agreement will have to be reached.

darrylgorn

People saying 'NATO not intervening is immoral' etc are well meaning but ultimately are speaking into the wind with those kinds of sentiments. For the most part, our conception of 'good' and 'evil' are inapplicable to the scale with which nations interact with one another. It just isn't a meaningful aspect of the calculus that leaders make towards one another.

I would go a step beyond simply describing the situation as it is, and argue that this is the way that it should be as well.

My opinion is utilitarian. It's actually in the interest of everyone, including NATO members, that they intervene.

This may be a stupid question, but is there any chance of Russia ever joining nato? The us and Russia were on the same side in ww2…how did we go from that to the Cuban middle crisis to now? Is there no chance we ever reconcile our differences if Putin is ousted from power?

absolutely no chance for at least a generation

BlackM1st

Banned
This may be a stupid question, but is there any chance of Russia ever joining nato? The us and Russia were on the same side in ww2…how did we go from that to the Cuban middle crisis to now? Is there no chance we ever reconcile our differences if Putin is ousted from power?
When Putin came to power he asked USA about joining NATO.

Razvedka

Banned
My opinion is utilitarian. It's actually in the interest of everyone, including NATO members, that they intervene.
You perceive your opinion to be utilitarian. I disagree with it, also as someone who in most aspects would consider himself a utilitarian.

NATO intervention is a level of escalation which isn't worth it in this case, and is also not in the nature nor charter of the organization (as it is a defensive alliance).

Russia will probably take Ukraine unless economic pressure and unexpectedly staunch resistance forces them to the table. However they will bleed for every square km they take, and from where I'm sitting I don't see how they can hope to hold it or prop up a puppet government. The Ukranians have shown they will reign absolute hell down upon the Russian invaders. And the economic actions from the US and Europe is going to cripple them.

There's no reason for NATO to intervene in order to cause Putin's Russia to blow itself apart internally.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
NATO exists to stop Russia from invading Europe, so no. Russia will never join NATO.

akimbo009

Gold Member
I mean, they would be nice. But Russia has the capability to inflict severe damage to Ukraine from the air if they decide they want to. So while it might be cathartic to imagine a scenario in which the Russians are repelled and sent home with their tails between their legs, I don’t think that is very likely. Some agreement will have to be reached.

It may be a little hopeful thinking, but right now Russia is absolutely a pariah state. Further, looks like Ukrainians will end up a protracted insurgency with Russia which will only end up badly for Russia. A well supplied insurgency with Western weapons and a stationary, weakening, Russian military won't end up in a good way for Russia. Even the plan to quickly get in, replace the regime, and get out has failed. There is no way anyone recognizes a forced in government at this point. There is no gain, no negotiation, Putin has really overplayed his hand. He's failing even if he takes the bigger guns out, there is nothing for him to gain.

When Putin came to power he asked USA about joining NATO.

Allegedly. But no, Russia will never be allowed into NATO. Maybe if they modernized and became a proper democracy and behaved properly. It's moot at this point.

Modrot

NATO exists to stand against Russia and China.

USSR fought against the Axis but they weren't actually allies.

Look it up.

LordCBH

More propaganda. He asked NATO (not the US) when they would invite Russia to join. NATO told him they’d have to apply for membership like everyone else and Putin dismissed it saying “Well, we’re not standing in line with a lot of countries that don’t matter.”

Get off Telegram.

I’ve been reading through this topic and I have one question at this point;

The fuck is a telegram and why are people using it for news?

LordCBH

NATO exists to stand against Russia and China.

USSR fought against the Axis but they weren't actually allies.

Look it up.

This. Was basically an “enemy of my enemy” situation. Pretty sure the USSR wouldn’t have even gotten involved much had hitler not stupidly been like “we can take Russia in the winter.”

darrylgorn

More propaganda. He asked NATO (not the US) when they would invite Russia to join. NATO told him they’d have to apply for membership like everyone else and Putin dismissed it saying “Well, we’re not standing in line with a lot of countries that don’t matter.”

Get off Telegram.

Or RT lol

BlackM1st

Banned

Get off Telegram.

Get off your high horse. What's with you and hate towards telegram? You meant this article?

I meant this one:

Putin/Russia asked about this for a few times.

Modrot

This. Was basically an “enemy of my enemy” situation. Pretty sure the USSR wouldn’t have even gotten involved much had hitler not stupidly been like “we can take Russia in the winter.”
Any time I feel like a god damn idiot, I think to myself:

"At least I didn't think invading the Russians during winter was a good idea".

QSD

NATO exists to stop Russia from invading Europe, so no. Russia will never join NATO.
NATO used to exist to stop the Soviet Union, but after its dissolution it didn't really have a purpose for at least the years Yeltsin was in power.
IMHO there is some truth to the narrative that had NATO not expanded in those years, that there would be less animosity between Russia and the west. There shouldn ́t be any nation that is barred from entering NATO by definition, defining Russia as the forever enemy will just be a self fulfilling prophecy.

akimbo009

Gold Member
Get off your high horse. What's with you and hate towards telegram? You meant this article?

I meant this one:

People can write articles, and Russia can scheme and dream. Doesn't matter. Russia has been a bad actor and super shitty to their own people for decades. They don't rate or qualify.

I just don't understand what's going on in Putin's head. Did he seriously think Ukraine was just going to roll over without a fight after seeing what a bunch of illiterate goat herders were able to do to the US military with 60 year old AK-47s and pipe bombs?

Ukrainians know that surrender to Russia is worse than dying in combat, what the fuck made Putin think this would go well?

MrMephistoX

I just don't understand what's going on in Putin's head. Did he seriously think Ukraine was just going to roll over without a fight after seeing what a bunch of illiterate goat herders were able to do to the US military with 60 year old AK-47s and pipe bombs?

Ukrainians know that surrender to Russia is worse than dying in combat, what the fuck made Putin think this would go well?av

A government full of yes men enabling bad decisions and providing overly optimistic information so as not to be defenestrated is a helluva drug.

Last edited:

Fare thee well

Neophyte
If Ukraine is using all their fighting force to try and defend their country your looking at over 1 million vs 100-200 thousands Russian soldiers by the Numbers of troops Ukraine should have the advantage
Yes and we all know how well occupations go. You can look at several of the last US invasions to gather how that goes. Though I will say, I feel like we never invade with the intention of keeping a territory, but I bet 100% Russia wants to keep Ukraine entirely and 'return to its former USSR glory.'

Cyberpunkd

Just explained to my wife (who thinks Ukraine should surrender) that all other countries in the region are NATO members - if Russia is not stopped and you will have another shot going down a few year from now it would mean a world war (Article 5 of NATO charter). So right now is the last opportunity to show Russia USSR shit will not fly.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Fucking finally. Germany suffered incredibly after WW2 at the hands of the Soviets - TF is this apologist shit? Merkel should be really ostracised for the shit she did aka nothing.
If Kyiv can hold out tonight it's over. Once all that stuff shows up Putin's worthless equipment is done for.

RAÏSanÏa

I meant this one:

"wait in line with 'countries that don't matter'"

Not exactly a reliable attitude for a defense pact.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Allegedly. But no, Russia will never be allowed into NATO. Maybe if they modernized and became a proper democracy and behaved properly. It's moot at this point.
That's the sad thing about Russia. They got a lot of people, the biggest land mass, tons of resources to mine and prop up their economy to be a superpower. And they prefer to squander it away. And it's not like Russians are dumb idiots with bad schools. If anything they seem super smart, so it seems the country puts good emphasis on education. So the pieces are there to put together an awesome country of politics and standard of living.

All they had to do the past 50 years is go through the normal process of democracy and after some decades it'd be a giant win.

Last edited:

Fess

Just explained to my wife (who thinks Ukraine should surrender) that all other countries in the region are NATO members - if Russia is not stopped and you will have another shot going down a few year from now it would mean a world war (Article 5 of NATO charter). So right now is the last opportunity to show Russia USSR shit will not fly.
Yeah, every new country talking about a NATO membership will get nuclear threats from here on. Current Swedish government don’t want to join NATO, the opposition want it though. I think I’m gonna start praying that the opposition isn’t winning the election later this year…

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Fucking finally. Germany suffered incredibly after WW2 at the hands of the Soviets - TF is this apologist shit? Merkel should be really ostracised for the shit she did aka nothing.
Probably only because every other country the past day has offered some kind of sanction or help. So Germany had to give something better other than their humongous 5000 helmet offer.

RAÏSanÏa

Wishing all the Ukraine citizens (both men and women) godspeed at repelling the Russians.

I'm not a pro-gun or pro-violence kind of person, but hey when shit hits the fan, I'm all for doing whatever you can to hold the fort against assholes.

With the streets clear due to curfew they can fire down into the street. Inexperience won't be as detrimental.

Forsete

Yeah, every new country talking about a NATO membership will get nuclear threats from here on. Current Swedish government don’t want to join NATO, the opposition want it though. I think I’m gonna start praying that the opposition isn’t winning the election later this year…
The opposition is not unified on the NATO question though.

SD wants to have a referendum on it.

ManaByte

Gold Member
With the streets clear due to curfew they can fire down into the street. Inexperience won't be as detrimental.
high ground GIF

Romulus

Not only are the Russians underfunded with shit equipment, lousy logistics, they're already losing the psychological war 4 days in. Its not even close.

Last edited:

Fess

The opposition is not unified on the NATO question though.

SD wants to have a referendum on it.
Yeah okay but they’re all leaning toward it. It’s a tricky scenario. What’s happening in Ukraine shows that being alone sucks. But joining up now could start ww3 if the madman is still in charge by then.

Last edited:

LordCBH

Yeah okay but they’re all leaning toward it. It’s a tricky scenario. What’s happening in Ukraine shows that being alone sucks. But joining up now could start ww3 if the madman is still in charge by then.

If given the chance to do it, if they want to, they should. A psychopath making threats shouldn’t keep them from joining if they want to join

Fess

If given the chance to do it, if they want to, they should. A psychopath making threats shouldn’t keep them from joining if they want to join
The threats are working though. That’s why nobody else is stepping in with military even though they’re seeing that an innocent country is being invaded. Who wants to be the first one to check if he’s just bluffing?

LordCBH

The threats are working though. That’s why nobody else is stepping in with military even though they’re seeing that an innocent country is being invaded. Who wants to be the first one to check if he’s just bluffing?

Oh I know the threats are working, which is a damn shame. I get WHY they don’t and why they take them seriously, but man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom