• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAÏSanÏa

Super weird folks just "suddenly" are posting this guy. Same tweets and everything.
cajafresca-robot-dance.gif

Liljagare

Hoping Ukraine can hold out longer, tons of aid heading to them, and even foreign vets who wants to join the Ukrainian army are on the way..

You just don't steamroll a country with 40 million people in it, is what Putin should have realized.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Hoping Ukraine can hold out longer, tons of aid heading to them, and even foreign vets who wants to join the Ukrainian army are on the way..

You just don't steamroll a country with 40 million people in it, is what Putin should have realized.
The longer it goes it worse it looks on Russia. Hey you never know, they still might win.

But if there's one thing Russia/Asian iron fisted governments treat as #1 priority is image and "saving face". If mighty Russia cant even take over Ukraine at a fraction of the military size it looks bad.

Last edited:

Bojji

It's clear as fuck that most Russian soldiers don't want to personally fight with Ukrainians, they were pretty much the same people for centuries.

The same way as Poland will accept any number of war refugees in our country, they are very close to us in culture/way of life, not like Muslims from Africa or Middle East that EU tried to force on us...

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
And more importantly the more frustrated his government and his people get. He has financially ruined his country.

Wouldn't be surprised if at the end of all of this Putin trips and lands on a bullet.
Hopefully, but I'm starting to get more worried as to what a desperate, embarrassed Putin will do.

It already appears he's not in a right mental state. And this is a guy with his finger on thousands of nuclear warheads.

Wouldn't be surprised if at the end of all of this Putin trips and lands on a bullet.

You inspired a thought in me. Obviously it would be at drastic personal risk, but it would be interesting to see a rogue western billionaire, none top be named, who has the balls to put a $1B bounty on Putin's head. Insignificant sum to them, huge benefits to society. Just a thought.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Hopefully, but I'm starting to get more worried as to what a desperate, embarrassed Putin will do.

It already appears he's not in a right mental state. And this is a guy with his finger on thousands of nuclear warheads.
That's where you'd hope some of his military buddies will step in a stop him from doing that, even though you'd think Putin has the ultimate authority to command it. You never know, there might be some secret coup from within to prevent anything that drastic.

ManaByte

Gold Member
You inspired a thought in me. Obviously it would be at drastic personal risk, but it would be interesting to see a rogue western billionaire, none top be named, who has the balls to put a $1B bounty on Putin's head. Insignificant sum to them, huge benefits to society. Just a thought.

Nah just do the Bin Laden thing and send in the SEALs with a stealth blackhawk like they used in Pakinstan and wake him up in the middle of the night with a bullet.

That's where you'd hope some of his military buddies will step in a stop him from doing that, even though you'd think Putin has the ultimate authority to command it. You never know, there might be some secret coup from within to prevent anything that drastic.
History has proven many times already that there's lots of intelligent, level-headed peeps in the russian army.

MrMephistoX

That would require a pacified population which doesn't appear to be achievable.
Exactly all the reason for him to truly pacify them with overwhelming force like WWII unfortunately lest Putin gets his ego bruised by an uncooperative Ukrainian people who aren’t as easy to control as he expected.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
What I'm concerned about in the fallout of this. What will European countries do who are almost dependent on Russian oil? Does anyone have any expertise on this? I'd give up our oil if I had the power. Better to live together than die alone. Our economies seem so tied to this stupid sludge.

DeaDPo0L84

And more importantly the more frustrated his government and his people get. He has financially ruined his country.

This would be the ideal outcome, but it's obvious he clearly doesn't give a shit about the cost of this war and his ego comes first, so the question becomes at what cost is he willing to "win" this war if he feels he's starting to truly lose it? It's a scary proposition given who were dealing with.

Brazen

What I'm concerned about in the fallout of this. What will European countries do who are almost dependent on Russian oil? Does anyone have any expertise on this? I'd give up our oil if I had the power. Better to live together than die alone. Our economies seem so tied to this stupid sludge.

Sounds like opportunity for investors and a "goodwill" opportunity for governments to hand out some pipeline grants. Perhaps a second look in a different age for expanding nuclear energy futures?

ManaByte

Gold Member

It's entirely possible for the US to take over that oil production and supply Europe, but whether or not that will actually happen in this environment is a long shot.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This would be the ideal outcome, but it's obvious he clearly doesn't give a shit about the cost of this war and his ego comes first, so the question becomes at what cost is he willing to "win" this war if he feels he's starting to truly lose it? It's a scary proposition given who were dealing with.
Who knows.

You'd think someone trying to land grab wouldn't nuke the plot of land he's trying to take over.

But then again if it's a lost cause, maybe nuke Ukraine as a scorched earth plan.

But that would make it not worth going after again in 10 years. Which Russia would probably try again if they fail to take over Ukraine now.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Well, the best outcome would be to break Russia up into several different countries, semi nationalize the oil industry in each of the resulting states, have different segments of Europe make different agreements with different parts of the former Russian Federation for energy, and have some kind of multinational oversight body to keep corruption at bay. Same with grain.

Boss Mog

I'm so disgusted by the lack of sanctions from sports organizations, particularly FIFA and UEFA. When I was a little kid UEFA banned English clubs from European competition for 5 years because of hooligans who caused the deaths of 39 people. Putin has killed far more than that in Ukraine and both organizations say nothing. It's grotesque and everybody should be talking about it and put pressure on them to do so but almost nobody is.

At least Poland have said that they will refuse to play their World Cup qualifier play-off against Russia:

The lack of sanctions on their oil and gas and when it comes to sporting events makes me think that there is no hope for humanity; that profits will be always be put first no matter what immoral and inhuman actions take place.

J3nga

Is this the first major armed conflict with predominantly smartphone footage? Seems like its the bulk of whats leaking online.
Yeah, that's what I thought as well, everyone's equipped with decent smartphones these days and putting out videos on the internet. This whole fucking nonsense feels so unbelievable, like this was some fucking tv show or people got so disappointed over BF 2042 that they decided to their own BF 2022.

QSD

I'd hope so too but I wonder whether the military brass has any more level-headed people. Some might even be worse than Putin, mind.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Nah just do the Bin Laden thing and send in the SEALs with a stealth blackhawk like they used in Pakinstan and wake him up in the middle of the night with a bullet.
Yes because a terrorist leader hiding out in a house in the desert and a president of a super power country in the middle of a major city would just be the exa same thing

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Who knows.

You'd think someone trying to land grab wouldn't nuke the plot of land he's trying to take over.

But then again if it's a lost cause, maybe nuke Ukraine as a scorched earth plan.

But that would make it not worth going after again in 10 years. Which Russia would probably try again if they fail to take over Ukraine now.
I can say this. The first person to fire a nuke will be the first person who loses all wordly support, credibility, and chance for diplomacy. They will cement themselves as a historical pariah for all time. It is a message as antihuman as it can get, and I'm only shamed by my country's previous use of this weapon. And we might be hypocrites for denying others in using it, but I don't think it is wrong to oppose it at every step.

Vestal

It also totally wouldn't have any political implications or cause an escalation in the situation.
Off course not. When have you ever heard of political consequences for assassinating a head of the second largest nuclear power sanctioned by a foreign power.

Right???

Guys???

Hello???

Bobnob

This as got to be extremely embarrassing Putin, I dread to think what he does next.

This doesn't feel like advance warfare from the Russians.

Peace n love for Ukraine

Nuclear weapons aren't the next step if things escalate.

Round the clock pounding of Ukrainian positions with conventional weapons with little regard for human life would be. Artillery, FOAB, carpet bombing, rockets, missiles etc... on scales not seen for decades.

But i don't see that happening. It would cost a fortune and draw NATO into the war.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I can say this. The first person to fire a nuke will be the first person who loses all wordly support, credibility, and chance for diplomacy. They will cement themselves as a historical pariah for all time. It is a message as antihuman as it can get, and I'm only shamed by my country's previous use of this weapon. And we might be hypocrites for denying others in using it, but I don't think it is wrong to oppose it at every step.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
So what happens if Turkey gets pulled in? I have to say I'm just about completely ignorant of Turkey's international politics RE Europe. I know they import oil and food from Russia, does Russia have enough leverage to force Turkey to open the black sea peacefully?

Ionian

That was hardly the same in fairness. I imagine a scenario with Mario and Bowser, not to make light of the situation in the slightest but of course Putins castle is his runaway place. He has a kill-switch )against those supporters at a guess and his supporters I can just imagine they're scrambling to save their own wealth. Wealth gifted by him for their allegiance. Oligarchs? Yeh about that. This never ever happened before that (again I'm joking).

The refugees before and after the Gulf War etc, were given incentives to go back home after the flood of them into Europe by governments. Germany said OK, we gotta do this! Bordering countries say WTF? No thanks! That's fact. I think that was scum (by the powerful Euro nations but it's what happened once things started to calm. Some took them, some did not. The refugees.)

Anyone who grew up at the time in Europe, this was serious news. Didn't stop the boats coming in though. People fleeing warfare with families. Was constant news of overloaded boats going down, people transported by pirates. People that spent their life savings to run but had not guarantee of safety, was an absolute gamble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom