• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Russia made themselves the villains like 70 years ago when they had a leader who starved his own people and threatened the world.
This is like dragging up the racist tweets of some guys grandad to get him cancelled. Russia is not THE enemy, China is not THE enemy. We all exist in a global economy (well except maybe NK) and will hopefully continue to do so. Russia are being complete assholes right now, but any nation has the possibility to be the asshole. The idea that certain countries are inherently evil or good is bullshit.

BlackM1st

Banned

. If Putin moves on the Baltics, or on any NATO members who formerly were part of the Warsaw Pact—like Poland, Romania or Bulgaria, all of which border Ukraine—then Moscow will be at war with NATO.
With the invasion of Ukraine, analysts believe, Putin hoped to shake NATO. He wanted, says Douglas Wise, a former CIA officer and deputy director at the Defense Intelligence Agency, "to further divide our allies, and cement existing fissures and disunity within [the Alliance] and the EU. He also believes he can benefit by humiliating the Western leaders and institutions when they fail to develop credible and practical options to counter his aggression."

Good read about Putin's endgame.

If events play out as military analysts now expect, the conflict will end relatively quickly with a negotiated settlement that may cede some territory to Russia, the installation of a new Russia-friendly regime in Kyiv and a partial withdrawal of troops that allows Putin to avoid the quagmire the West so badly wants him sucked into. In doing so, Putin will be able to claim that he dealt a devastating setback to NATO, the main goal of his aggression.
For Putin, the sack of Ukraine will likely mark the endgame in his desire to restore the empire. If it doesn't, it will mean at some point the world's two largest nuclear powers will be in a shooting war, with all the risk that entails.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
If Ukraine is victorious and Putin retreats his forces due to continuing loss of life and equipment, I wonder how Ukraine will respond. My guess is that they will increase their defensive caperbilities. Nato countries will likely send them more equipment to ensure this does not happen again.

Fret Runner

Everybody votes to kick Russia from SWIFT and are willing to take the brunt economically of doing so.

Germany and Switzerland snickering at the back of meeting room.

DgmregD.jpg

Close to taking the Doomer pill lol

Good it seems Russias economy will be destroyed and even China is starting to distance themselves from that shithole. Now all that is needed is to cancel visas and ban russians from entering nato countries.

The frustrating part about this is once again, civilians will suffer. Ordinary Russian civilians will have their lives massively disrupted while the people with power will be just fine.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
This is like dragging up the racist tweets of some guys grandad to get him cancelled. Russia is not THE enemy, China is not THE enemy. We all exist in a global economy (well except maybe NK) and will hopefully continue to do so. Russia are being complete assholes right now, but any nation has the possibility to be the asshole. The idea that certain countries are inherently evil or good is bullshit.
As I always say, hate the government, not the people. And I think there is great merit in creating a unified global army/presence that pressures against invasions and war into not happening. But we must try hard not to villify an entire nation or we repeat what happened with Germany and WW2. Putin deserves punishment, but if we make all Russians suffer too, I fear we create a future monster that is worse!

b0uncyfr0

So, realistically what happens with those thermobaric missiles? Can the UA spot and target themselves. I saw Rubio's tweet - so they def know about them.

chromhound

The only way Ukraine can win:

-Russia runs out of ammo (big possibility) and weapons
-Putin giving up which is unlikely

Russia is wasting so much money. The nation is broke

MrMephistoX

If Ukraine is victorious and Putin retreats his forces due to continuing loss of life and equipment, I wonder how Ukraine will respond. My guess is that they will increase their defensive caperbilities. Nato countries will likely send them more equipment to ensure this does not happen again.
Sadly his ego is going to be too bruised to let that happen. If this wave gets repelled in come the carpet bombings and ballistic missiles or worse. Putin will keep throwing soldiers into the meat grinder until he gets what he wants at this point: he believed his own lies about the Ukrainians welcoming the Russians in as liberators and sent in only 1 wave that’s been relatively restrained so far. To understand Putin’s logic you’d have to be an insane narcissist refusing to accept reality. A retreat would greatly undermine his authority back in Moscow and that’s something he will never accept.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Sadly his ego is going to be too bruised to let that happen. If this wave gets repelled in come the carpet bombings and ballistic missiles or worse. Putin will keep throwing soldiers into the meat grinder until he gets what he wants at this point: he believed his own lies about the Ukrainians welcoming the Russians in as liberators and sent in only 1 wave that’s been relatively restrained so far. To understand Putin’s logic you’d have to be an insane narcissist refusing to accept reality. A retreat would greatly undermine his authority back in Moscow and that’s something he will never accept.

I just realized that putin will overthrow the government and put a russia controlled Ukrainian government into power, so to the Ukrainian people it wont look like putin won even though he did.

MrMephistoX

I just realized that putin will overthrow the government and put a russia controlled Ukrainian government into power, so to the Ukrainian people it wont look like putin won even though he did.
Who knows even that might change like I said by all accounts including his own words Putin believed his own rationale for invasion: now that he’s been proven wrong it’s a bruise to his massive ego so all bets are off including murdering Zelinsky and making Ukraine a Russian territory with a regional puppet governor for life and not even the joke of rigged elections.

Last edited:
Someone yesterday mentioned about morale and propaganda:

And shits 'n giggles at the last tweet here:

Russian Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected (“MRAP”) wheeled vehicle firing from turret while reversing Ukrainian Strela-10 surface-to-air (“SAM”) proceeding forward Neither vehicle had weapons to deal with the other
And day to day traffic is just going around them. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
What a world we line in.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Who knows even that might change like I said by all accounts including his own words Putin believed his own rationale for invasion: now that he’s been proven wrong it’s a bruise to his massive ego so all bets are off including murdering Zelinsky and making it Russian territory with a regional puppet governor for life and not even the joke of rigged elections.
That would require a pacified population which doesn't appear to be achievable.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Is this the first major armed conflict with predominantly smartphone footage? Seems like its the bulk of whats leaking online.
Smart phones took off 2007 so no but it’s definitely the most high profile in Europe in a country with full social media access so it’s less easy to censor like middle eastern conflicts or Crimea.

akimbo009

Gold Member
It was the Strela chasing the MRAP with traffic going around them that reeled me in.

I guess. Oddly has John Mearsheimer, a relatively minor international geopolitic professor, who has also risen to promence to support the "NATO/Ukraine brought on themselves" narrative.

Just find it curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom