• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Gold Member
So what happens if Turkey gets pulled in? I have to say I'm just about completely ignorant of Turkey's international politics RE Europe. I know they import oil and food from Russia, does Russia have enough leverage to force Turkey to open the black sea peacefully?

1. Turkey really didn't close the Black Sea.
2. Russia accidentally hit a Turkish ship when beginning their stupidity, so I don't think Turkey is happy with them at the moment.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Off course not. When have you ever heard of political consequences for assassinating a head of the second largest nuclear power sanctioned by a foreign power.

Right???

Guys???

Hello???
The only safe way I see Putin dying is from within (a coop, a domestic uprising, etc), and I'm sure a man like that sleeps in paranoia. If our goal is to throw off an unjust Russian occupation of a country by proxy, it would not be our first experience in that regard (though it did carry consequences later, 1979s Soviet-Afghan war). If we want to avoid nuclear war I think the toughest sanctions, digital warfare, weapons supplies, intel, and any other indirect aid is the only way we can do this. I hate not being able to have troops in there though; just as a gut feeling if I am being honest. But whatever the cost we should apply all external pressure possible! At least to try and end the conflict and save as many lives as possible.

Also Poland has been huge heroes in taking in refugees. Ty to all Poland.

Ionian

So what happens if Turkey gets pulled in? I have to say I'm just about completely ignorant of Turkey's international politics RE Europe. I know they import oil and food from Russia, does Russia have enough leverage to force Turkey to open the black sea peacefully?

Considering what happened with Turkey, the EU welcomed them in with a tanked economy. It didn't go well. ECC kept throwing money at it to fix it as it was a danger in terms of a threat to Europe. Their economy was fucked, this during the biggest recession in our lifetime, one that kept getting exponentially worse. Europe kept getting weaker trying to hold shit together, taxes sored on member states to cover it. The answer was to throw money about in the hope it would be ok and have an ally. The EEC failed but massive swatches of Europe were on a drip by the EEC to keep their economies alive.

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
The longer it goes it worse it looks on Russia. Hey you never know, they still might win.

But if there's one thing Russia/Asian iron fisted governments treat as #1 priority is image and "saving face". If mighty Russia cant even take over Ukraine at a fraction of the military size it looks bad.
They can’t win in a straight up fight, but if it’s made as embarrassing as possible, where even the average Russian can’t ignore it, Putin will probably be forced to capitulate and leave, although probably keeping Donbas and claiming victory.

If anything this has shown how utterly overblown the Russian military really is, even the worst military fuck ups of the last 3 decades were better organized than this. The Ukrainians are doing remarkably well against the odds, and their continued high morale is inspiring.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
FMjfhM8XEAMLglG

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
This is going to cripple Russia for years to come.

Keep mounting the pressure on this asshole.

Edit : they are also freezing Russian Central Bank assets and its ability to liquidate assets.

Holy shit. That is way more than what I was expecting. This essentially cripples Russia's ability to do business anywhere. The Russian elite that Putin has surrounded himself with are going to be fucking PISSED.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I’m watching CNN and countries are openly admitting to providing aid to Ukraine. Putin isn’t sending out more threats?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
There is an argument that crippling Russia's economy hurts the Russian people, and that's true, but there is no perfect solution here. I think this is clearly the right one. For one, the alternative is allowing Ukraine to be butchered and their people suffering too. Also, crippling Russia's economy could create major uprising from within Russia and pressure on Putin from his own citizens that he never had before. Drive a wedge between Putin and his own people.

FunkMiller

Edit : they are also freezing Russian Central Bank assets and its ability to liquidate assets.

Great. Send the cunts back to the Stone Age. If the Russian people don’t want that, they’ll have to do something about it.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Holy shit. That is way more than what I was expecting. This essentially cripples Russia's ability to do business anywhere. The Russian elite that Putin has surrounded himself with are going to be fucking PISSED.
I think they are going to turn on putin.

Seems everyone is turning against him
Angry Over It GIF by The Room

Last edited:

Vestal

There is an argument that crippling Russia's economy hurts the Russian people, and that's true, but there is no perfect solution here. I think this is clearly the right one. For one, the alternative is allowing Ukraine to be butchered and their people suffering too. Also, crippling Russia's economy could create major uprising from within Russia and pressure on Putin from his own citizens that he never had before. Drive a wedge between Putin and his own people.
Its absolutely true, but we don't have any other viable option. Basically 3 options.

1. Do nothing, and Ukraine gets butchered while Russia grows stronger.
2. Cripple the Russian economy through sanctions, which will hurt the common Russian citizen in the hopes of forcing Putin to stop, or cause instability within Russia that would lead to a coup or Putin being toppled.
3. Put boots on the ground and have a real world altercation between Nato and Russian forces head to head.. Aka the opening salvo of WW3.

MadAnon

The Russian inability to control the airspace is baffling. You shouldn't be seeing heavy-lift cargo planes being shot down full of paratroops.

There's nothing confirmed. I would take these big claims with a huge grain of salt. You would have visual proof of such big planes taken down.

Vestal

Great. Send the cunts back to the Stone Age. If the Russian people don’t want that, they’ll have to do something about it.
Easier said than done.. As we have seen over the past few days, people are getting dragged by the hundreds to jail for simply protesting the war in Russia.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Its absolutely true, but we don't have any other viable option. Basically 3 options.

1. Do nothing, and Ukraine gets butchered while Russia grows stronger.
2. Cripple the Russian economy through sanctions, which will hurt the common Russian citizen in the hopes of forcing Putin to stop, or cause instability within Russia that would lead to a coup or Putin being toppled.
3. Put boots on the ground and have a real world altercation between Nato and Russian forces head to head.. Aka the opening salvo of WW3.
I don’t want option 3

dotnotbot

This is all so stressful, living in Warsaw just 200 kilometers from belarusian border, not knowing what this russian Hitler plans to do. I'm observing news all day and can't sleep, thinking if I should escape somewhere close to the western border. Can't even imagine the hell Ukrainians are going through right now.

Last edited:

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I agree for the longterm it might just create more pro-russian nationaliam and millitant sympathy. I think for the short term though, to end the fighting, we need all pressure all the time. I would be glad to help repair the Russian and Ukranian economy for their people after the fighting ends.

Oof, they've decided to unleash the economic "nuke" aka "the big hammer". Supposedly, one of the biggest sanctions imposed on a country to date.

My sympathy goes to the Russian people though. They're the ones who will suffer for one man's idiotic actions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom