• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thaedolus

GIF by Giphy QA

Fare thee well

Neophyte
This guy a a douche … but he’s right.

Ukraine is getting probed. They aren’t winning. If no one is going to help.. they are fucked.
Exactly what I fear. NATO drew a line in the sand, but sadly it was behind Ukraine and not in front of it. I get why, I do. Whole thing just sucks.

J3nga

I have to say, I’m a little uncomfortable with the amount of excitement people are getting from this. Its like watching people cheer for sports or something. This isn’t a movie. When some Russian transport goes down, that’s potentially hundreds of sons and husbands being killed. That shit is sad. Those guys are pawns in the power game of other people. I wouldn’t be cheering for any of this shit.

I want Ukraine to remain independent, but I’m not excited it’s come to this.
Yep, Niko Bellic told us this long time ago:
P5rV0RT.jpg

This whole "operation" went completely nuts. People cheering when some russians die, that's mad. There are lots of young kids that were told go there and do that, most of them don't want this stupid bloodbath.

Sega Orphan

Banned
Apparently Russia has only sent in 30% of their troops into Ukraine, so to have got as far as they have in that period of time is quite impressive.
It's almost impossible for them to overrun Keiv, as it's too big and too heavy defended. Russia isn't just bombing the fuck out of the city that would have happened in WW2, so to make your way into the city street by street will be hard fought and cost many lives. I think Russia has three objectives.
1. Take out the government. Try to find the President and kill him along with his cabinet.
2. Encircle Kiev, cut it off from supplies such as water, food and such and wait it out until a surrender happens.
3. Take over certain areas of Ukraine such as Dombass, Odessa etc to reduce the size of Ukraine and the threat they pose by destroying all military infrastructure.

They appear to be trying to limit civilian deaths, and all the interactions I have seen between them and angry locals they seem to be quite well manured, maybe even embarrassed by being there.

Mistake

If the SWIFT sanction fully goes through, I fear things are about to get a lot worse. However, it’s also possible that Putin just put a target on his back

FunkMiller

P5rV0RT.jpg

This whole "operation" went completely nuts. People cheering when some russians die, that's mad. There are lots of young kids that were told go there and do that, most of them don't want this stupid bloodbath.

Who here is cheering that Russians are dying? Seriously…. point to their posts.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
This guy a a douche … but he’s right.

Ukraine is getting probed. They aren’t winning. If no one is going to help.. they are fucked.
They are definitely not just being probed. You don't lose the kind of equipment that they're losing just to test your enemy. They lost 4 $60 million dollar troop carriers in the last 2 days with paratroopers on board. Russia is not rich enough to be able to throw away stuff like that casually.

They have severely underestimated Ukraine and fucked everything up along the way. Their troops are uninformed, undersuplied, and by all accounts getting bodied compared to what they are doing to the Ukrainians.

That's not to say that Russia can't win or that they don't have anything left to throw at Ukraine they obviously do, but it's ridiculous to say that everything up to this point was just some kind of test.

J3nga

Apparently Russia has only sent in 30% of their troops into Ukraine, so to have got as far as they have in that period of time is quite impressive.
It's almost impossible for them to overrun Keiv, as it's too big and too heavy defended. Russia isn't just bombing the fuck out of the city that would have happened in WW2, so to make your way into the city street by street will be hard fought and cost many lives. I think Russia has three objectives.
1. Take out the government. Try to find the President and kill him along with his cabinet.
2. Encircle Kiev, cut it off from supplies such as water, food and such and wait it out until a surrender happens.
3. Take over certain areas of Ukraine such as Dombass, Odessa etc to reduce the size of Ukraine and the threat they pose by destroying all military infrastructure.

They appear to be trying to limit civilian deaths, and all the interactions I have seen between them and angry locals they seem to be quite well manured, maybe even embarrassed by being there.
30%? I doubt that's even close.

Who here is cheering that Russians are dying? Seriously…. point to their posts.
Not talking about here, internet in general.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Its more than 30%. Outlets have been reporting it's closer to the 50% mark than 30%.

And even if it is only 30% they have not taken even a single major city in several days with 30% of their army. What hope would they have in holding an entire country? Meanwhile the rest of the world is completely and utterly United against them and have essentially crippled their economy to the point of being basically non-functional.

Russia is looking like it is on the receiving end of the greatest self own in modern history.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Oh yeah for sure. I'm sure a team of seals would somehow be able to get access to Putin in a major city and eradicate him with little to no political fallout or escalation of the current situation.
Assassinating a head of state with no fallout or escalation?
Put down the crack pipe.

The IL-76 is a massive plane, something that big exploding in the sky should still leave big enough intact pieces on the ground to be photographed by someone.

Ukrainians claim they've shot two out of the sky, yet we haven't seen a single photograph or any hard evidence of that.

In short - there is massive propaganda coming from both sides, take everything you see on especially twitter with a grain of salt

Ukrainian_Air_Force_IL-76.jpg

Last edited:

Fare thee well

Neophyte
P5rV0RT.jpg

I don't cheer on any individual soldier's death, but there is a big difference between being an invading soldier for one of the largest armies in the world, and a homeland defender standing for the lives of women, children, elderly, and the disabled. Seeing the armed efforts of Russian troops fail is a victory against autocrat fascists like Putin and saving the sovereignty of Ukraine. That is something I desire. 'Cheer' isn't a word I would choose. As many have said, no one wanted this war.

Sega Orphan

Banned
The IL-76 is a massive plane, something that big exploding in the sky should still leave big enough intact pieces on the ground to be photographed by someone.

Ukrainians claim they've shot two out of the sky, yet we haven't seen a single photograph or any hard evidence of that.

In short - there is massive propaganda coming from both sides, take everything you see on especially twitter with a grain of salt

There is alot of propaganda going on that's for sure.

Liljagare

Il76down_20.jpg

This has also been confirmed by the UK intelligence services.

AR-306179945.jpg&maxh=332&maxw=504

LUHANSK, Ukraine — Pro-Russian fighters walk past the site of remnants of a downed Ukrainian army aircraft Il- 76 at the airport near Luhansk. Pro-Russia separatists shot down a Ukrainian military transport plane Saturday, killing all 49 crew and troops aboard in a bloody escalation of the conflict in the country's restive east. (PHOTO: AP)

Last edited:

After claiming another two without so much as somebody posting a picture of the smoke in the distance....the claims are looking a little suspicious.

That's from 2014 when one was shot down in Ukraine.

Thaedolus

Depends on where it went down and in what condition it was in when it went down. A missile wouldn’t necessarily cause it to explode and breakup midair (though it could), it could also just disable flight controls and cause it to nosedive into the ground at 500MPH. If that happened in a remote area, it might not be found for years considering the other pressing priorities people have at the moment.

So a healthy dose of skepticism is certainly called for, but I don’t think this is an open and shut a propaganda effort at all. It’s a big country and those shoot downs could’ve happened in any manner of ways we don’t know about.

Nobody_Important

🙄

The troop carriers being shot down were confirmed by sources outside the Ukrainian government.

Last edited:
Depends on where it went down and in what condition it was in when it went down. A missile wouldn’t necessarily cause it to explode and breakup midair (though it could), it could also just disable flight controls and cause it to nosedive into the ground at 500MPH. If that happened in a remote area, it might not be found for years considering the other pressing priorities people have at the moment.

So a healthy dose of skepticism is certainly called for, but I don’t think this is an open and shut a propaganda effort at all. It’s a big country and those shoot downs could’ve happened in any manner of ways we don’t know about.
🙄

The troop carriers being shot down were confirmed by sources outside the Ukrainian government.

It very well could be true, they could've shot down only one or two or none at all . I'm just saying we haven't seen any proof of that yet.

Ukraine-claims-to-have-shot-down-Russias-Sukhoi-25-and-two-1140x570.jpeg

That's a Ukrainian military emblem on the tail.

Last edited:

Sega Orphan

Banned
Its more than 30%. Outlets have been reporting it's closer to the 50% mark than 30%.

And even if it is only 30% they have not taken even a single major city in several days with 30% of their army. What hope would they have in holding an entire country? Meanwhile the rest of the world is completely and utterly United against them and have essentially crippled their economy to the point of being basically non-functional.

Russia is looking like it is on the receiving end of the greatest self own in modern history.
Yeah the 30% was what I last heard maybe a day ago, more than likely they have sent more in.
Russia has taken over Mariupol which is one of the biggest cities in Ukraine.
I don't think Russia is getting any less resistance than they expected. None of us know what Russia's goals are, and what where they are with those goals.
To take over a city of 4 million people is a huge task. If 10% of the people resist then you have 400,000 of them.
It's not COD.

Have you ever seen plane crash footage? there's nothing left

edit: barely nothing. Those would be easy pickings by stingers

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

I’m watching CNN and countries are openly admitting to providing aid to Ukraine. Putin isn’t sending out more threats?
Having threatened the planet with nuclear destruction kind of leaves no where else to go in that regard.

164.gif

Oh yeah for sure. I'm sure a team of seals would somehow be able to get access to Putin in a major city and eradicate him with little to no political fallout or escalation of the current situation.

RAÏSanÏa RAÏSanÏa you see this? This is is armchair five star general nonsense I'm having a laugh over.
My thought was that's intentional shit talk.

Germans must have gas heating for the winter.
And Swedes must have oil to compensate for the closed nuclear power plants.
Then they will keep financing an authoritarian regime. They are more interested in pleasing the green lobby then securing energy sources from proper democracies. And now a lot of opportunistic politicians are like they care for Ukraine.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Nobody_Important

The issue with sanctions is this. In the negotiations with Russia to withdrawal part of the payout to Russia will be the removal of sanctions.
When and if that happens I can guarantee you that the sanctions will not just be magically removed.

The only way these sanctions are removed with any kind of immediacy is if Putin is thrown out of office and/or Russia does a complete and total withdrawal of all of its forces from Ukraine.

Otherwise these sanctions might as well be carved in stone.

Last edited:

Forsete

Then they will keep financing an authoritarian regime. They are more interested in please the green lobby then securing energy sources from proper democracies. And now a lot of opportunistic politicians are like they care for Ukraine.

My bro. I agree 100%.

But there is nothing we the "small people" (as Carl-Henric Svanberg put it) can do about it, expect every 4 years to vote these POS out of office.
Lets hope the "small people" does not forget this time.

Nuclear power is the future, windmills are not (which have to be supported by gas, oil or coal on windstill days).

Last edited:

Ionian

My fucking God. Honestly.

This dude is blind.

His own words He denies it.

He denies an attack it and talks shit and constitutes it constantly . Dude says it over and over again like it's ok

Just listen to what he says against what he say against Ukraine.

He can't his own mind. Calling Ukrainians "matyrs", please others watch this all and make up your own mind. Part of his statement is calling it to; "people super- mother fuckers". And compares it to Iraq.

The dude is a lunatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom