• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darchaos

My fucking God. Honestly.

This dude is blind.

His own words He denies it.

He denies an attack it and talks shit and constitutes it constantly . Dude says it over and over again like it's ok

Just listen to what he says against what he say against Ukraine.

He can't his own mind. Calling Ukrainians "matyrs", please others watch this all and make up your own mind. Part of his statement is calling it to; "people super- mother fuckers". And compares it to Iraq.

The dude is a lunatic.
Yeah he seems to be mentaly ill.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Its more than 30%. Outlets have been reporting it's closer to the 50% mark than 30%.

And even if it is only 30% they have not taken even a single major city in several days with 30% of their army. What hope would they have in holding an entire country? Meanwhile the rest of the world is completely and utterly United against them and have essentially crippled their economy to the point of being basically non-functional.

Russia is looking like it is on the receiving end of the greatest self own in modern history.
its just 30% of what they sent out when they were calling them drills these losses have zero effect of the amount that Russia can deal

Celcius

°Temp. member
Quick question - you know how everyone’s saying Russia shouldn’t be allowed to invade Ukraine? And the fact that Russia’s main concern is about them potentially joining nato and having middle on their doorstep?

What about the Cuban missile crisis… what if Cuba decides that they want to be Russian and again get nukes from them? What would the us do?

Edit: I’m rooting for Ukraine, just asking

Last edited:

akimbo009

Gold Member
Apparently Russia has only sent in 30% of their troops into Ukraine, so to have got as far as they have in that period of time is quite impressive.
It's almost impossible for them to overrun Keiv, as it's too big and too heavy defended. Russia isn't just bombing the fuck out of the city that would have happened in WW2, so to make your way into the city street by street will be hard fought and cost many lives. I think Russia has three objectives.
1. Take out the government. Try to find the President and kill him along with his cabinet.
2. Encircle Kiev, cut it off from supplies such as water, food and such and wait it out until a surrender happens.
3. Take over certain areas of Ukraine such as Dombass, Odessa etc to reduce the size of Ukraine and the threat they pose by destroying all military infrastructure.

They appear to be trying to limit civilian deaths, and all the interactions I have seen between them an angry locals they seem to be quite well manured, maybe even embarrassed by being there.

Oh shit, you just posted the Russian plans being exercised by those very cool, very calm Russian troops that certainly haven't blown up apartments or high rises full of civilians.

Just sneak in and kill a head of state too. No international retaliation. It's what we call "Russia on the brain".

GTFO with this. Russia has been getting slapped around, and just got word their economy is about to be well and truly torched. None of what you said is remotely true.

As for cheering on death. Meh, I'm not but I am definitely cheering on the defeat of a murdering regime of Russia. Besides, I actually don't have a shit ton of sympathy for Russian military after their series of war crimes in Syria and Grozny. They are notorious for indiscriminate bombing and killing of citizens. White driven snow they are not.

Vestal

Quick question - you know how everyone’s saying Russia shouldn’t be allowed to invade Ukraine? And the fact that Russia’s main concern is about them potentially joining nato and having middle on their doorstep?

What about the Cuban missile crisis… what if Cuba decides that they want to be Russian and again get nukes from them? What would the us do?

We literally disarmed Ukraine of their Nuclear weapons. The closest verified Nuclear launch facility near Russia is Turkey. Ukraine ain't Cuba and we never intended to do what USSR tried to do with Cuba in the 60s.

akimbo009

Gold Member

They'd get blown up. But it doesn't matter, Cuba isn't doing that again.

Darchaos

What about what??? Whe are here and now, Russia is invading Ukraine, that is all!! First we take down Russia, and then we take on the next problem, ok?

Forsete

Propaganda is all over the place, obviously. But damn, I hope that Ukraine manages to hold out.

Agreed.

Hopefully the EU provided weapons will reach them in time.
The only ones who can make a change is the Russian population. I hope they grown enough in numbers to get rid of this dictator and the people who support him.

56 tanks?

doubt-yeah.gif

Sega Orphan

Banned
When and if that happens I can guarantee you that the sanctions will not just be magically removed.

The only way these sanctions are removed with any kind of immediacy is if Putin is thrown out of office and/or Russia does a complete and total withdrawal of all of its forces from Ukraine.

Otherwise these sanctions might as well be carved in stone.
You give politicians way too much credit. What should happen vs what will happen are too different things. Alot of NATO countries rely on Russian gas. 30% of Germany's gas usage comes from Russia and something like 80% of Poland's. If Russia cut them off from their Gas supply it will send Europe into an energy crisis.

Sega Orphan

Banned
Propaganda is all over the place, obviously. But damn, I hope that Ukraine manages to hold out.
I think they hold out. Ukraine is a massive place with 40 million people. The amount of troops Russia can put in there won't be enough to hold it.
War has changed today, no longer can an army bomb a city into oblivion, as that would be a war crime. Strikes have to be against military targets.

Sega Orphan

Banned

If there was a column of 56 tanks destroyed there would be alot of footage of that. A destruction of that order would only come from the air, and I'm not sure Ukraine has enough air power to do that.
I guess we will see soon.
There was all that bullshit about the grey fox or whatever they called that Ukrainian pilot who was supposed to have taken out a heap of Russian planes, yet it wasn't true.
The US etc will be monitoring the events from space and if that happened they will show it.

Chronicle

I think they hold out. Ukraine is a massive place with 40 million people. The amount of troops Russia can put in there won't be enough to hold it.
War has changed today, no longer can an army bomb a city into oblivion, as that would be a war crime. Strikes have to be against military targets.
If you play by the rules. One can argue very easily that there are no rules to war.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
The whole idea of “illegality” as it relates to war is a farce. The world hasn’t seen a true war since the end of WWII.

Oh, the world has seen plenty of these "true" wars that you speak of since WWII. Korea, Vietnam, etc.

As to the "illegality" bit: that's because following WWII we formed things like the UN and ICC, came to consensus on what constitutes war crimes, and began having trials for those who committed them.

During the Yugoslav Wars (1991 - 2001) so many war crimes were committed that the UN formed an ad-hoc body just to handle all of the trials (and they later bled over into another court). Top leaders and military officials were convicted. Kosovo's president stepped down just two years ago after his trials over war crimes he committed, and is still in detention at The Hague to my knowledge. There are other examples in recent decades as well, mostly dealing with genocide, which is what it would be considered if Putin, or any leader, directed their armies to indiscriminately destroy cities these days.

Liljagare

If there was a column of 56 tanks destroyed there would be alot of footage of that. A destruction of that order would only come from the air, and I'm not sure Ukraine has enough air power to do that.
There was all that bullshit about the grey fox or whatever they called that Ukrainian pilot who was supposed to have taken out a heap of Russian planes, yet it wasn't true.
The US etc will be monitoring the events from space and if that happened they will show it.

It's alot of propaganda, but I much rather support the dreams and propaganda of Ukraine, over Putin atm. Morale plays a huge part in warfare unfortunately, or, fortunately.

Last edited:

akimbo009

Gold Member

Maybe they all ran out of gas..

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
its just 30% of what they sent out when they were calling them drills these losses have zero effect of the amount that Russia can deal
Zero effect? Have you been paying attention? lol

Russia has basically set fire to billions and billions of dollars with this insanity. Yeah sure it's not their whole army, but to say this all has zero effect is ridiculous. Especially when you take into account all of the sanctions that basically just made their economy almost completely non-viable.

As I said before Russia has basically inflicted the greatest self-own in modern history with this idiocy.

NeonGhost

Zero effect? Have you been paying attention? lol

Russia has basically set fire to billions and billions of dollars with this insanity. Yeah sure it's not their whole army, but to say this all has zero effect is ridiculous. Especially when you take into account all of the sanctions that basically just made their economy almost completely non-viable.

As I said before Russia has basically inflicted the greatest self-own in modern history with this idiocy.
Nowhere did I say anything about the sanctions i was only talking about their military

Nobody_Important

Nowhere did I say anything about the sanctions i was only talking about their military
The sanctions have everything to do with the military though.

How will they pay their soldiers? How will they afford fuel for both a monumental military effort as well as basic everyday use for their people? How will they operate their country?

The military of a country does not just operate in a vacuum. The world has basically just made Russia a penniless dictatorship by cutting them off from the Lion's share of all of their assets and also left them with basically no way of realistically operating within the world financial market.

The fact that they still have a whole bunch of military equipment, tanks, jets, etc doesn't mean squat if they can't pay their soldiers and the rest of the country is up in arms in rage.

Chronicle

Putin wants a regime change, not the destruction of the country. Their military and leaders are his targets. He gains nothing from targeting civilians other than war crime charges.
Maybe. But you said this: "War has changed today, no longer can an army bomb a city into oblivion, as that would be a war crime."

And war is war. (One can easily argue) There are no 'rules' to war.

The guy threatened to use nukes for crying out loud.

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist

This dude is blind.

He denies an attack it and talks shit and constitutes it constantly . Dude says it over and over again like it's ok

He can't his own mind. Calling Ukrainians "matyrs", please others watch this all and make up your own mind. Part of his statement is calling it to; "people super- mother fuckers". And compares it to Iraq.

The dude is a lunatic.
The point of making that post was to get people to think for themselves and not blindly follow what you're being told through the media.
Is he 100% accurate on what he's saying? Who knows.
But, he's actually in fucking Ukraine, so he probably has some better insight than some shmoo's who are looking from the outside -> in..

Last edited:

NeonGhost

The sanctions have everything to do with the military though.

How will they pay their soldiers? How will they afford fuel for both a monumental military effort as well as basic everyday use for their people? How will they operate their country?

The military of a country does not just operate in a vacuum. The world has basically just made Russia a penniless dictatorship by cutting them off from the Lion's share of all of their assets and also left them with basically no way of realistically operating within the world financial market.

The fact that they still have a whole bunch of military equipment, tanks, jets, etc doesn't mean squat if they can't pay their soldiers and the rest of the country is up in arms in rage.
Sorry to say but Russia will take Ukraine NATO will wave their finger at Russia for a few years then will start needing resources from them and open trading again

Ionian

This dude is blind.

The dude is a lunatic.

He said, and I quote, "The Russians don't want to harm civilians".

Well, about that ...

Tell that to the dead.
But-but-but!

Nobody_Important

we will see
Also "wave their finger"?

The rest of the world basically just chopped Russia's financial balls off even though they know full well that it's going to cause problems for themselves. Because literally everyone even the people who are going to be directly affected by this knows that it's the right thing to do in the face of this kind of tyranny.

In what world is that "waving a finger"?

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
He said, and I quote, "The Russians don't want to harm civilians".

Well, about that ...

Tell that to the dead.
But-but-but!
The Russians don't want resistance.
As he said in the video, a lot of Russian and Ukrainian military have co-mingled at some point in their careers, so excessive bloodshed is not something any side particularly wants.
But you know... Putin.

RAÏSanÏa

Sorry to say but Russia will take Ukraine NATO will wave their finger at Russia for a few years then will start needing resources from them and open trading again
Using the tiny pinhole of your understating of NATO to funnel the complexity of the situation appears to limit you to only one conclusion.

Nobody_Important

Also can I just say real quick that from an American perspective this whole situation is kind of wild because this is the first time in I don't even know how many years that I have seen both Democrats and Republicans united on a single issue almost entirely.

I sat and watched all the usual major news agencies today and they had multiple Democrats and Republicans all saying basically the same thing and all of them are saying that as soon as the Senate can they will probably pass even more sweeping measures to support Ukraine and/or punish Russia.

It's been so long since I've seen both sides unanimously agree on something that I kind of forgot what it looked like.

RAÏSanÏa

Also can I just say real quick that from an American perspective this whole situation is kind of wild because this is the first time in I don't even know how many years that I have seen both Democrats and Republicans united on a single issue almost entirely.

I sat and watched all the usual major news agencies today and they had multiple Democrats and Republicans all saying basically the same thing and all of them are saying that as soon as the Senate can they will probably pass even more sweeping measures to support Ukraine and/or punish Russia.

It's been so long since I've seen both sides unanimously agree on something that I kind of forgot what it looked like.
If there's one thing that unites Americans it's an existential threat. Most physically powerful country on the planet, and when they're of one mind and in motion - unstoppable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom