• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
26694.jpeg
And yet after days of fighting and thousands of their soldiers dead Russia has no major gains in the country.

Turns out when you have an army that doesn't really want to fight and you throw it against an army that is fighting for their lives and their home you're going to have a bit of an imbalance.

Who could have possibly fucking guessed.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

My main concern right now is, all these arms moving in to support Ukranian fighters is great, but the flip side is if Russia does win this conflict and come to dominate the area, a lot of these arms are going to go right into their hands.

Last edited:

Sega Orphan

Banned
I would point out that the “professional” Russians are also sending loyalist Chechen’s to fight for them.

Aside from that, Russia also has internal problems with stray dogs which result in shooting them.

Now guess what the stray dog problem in Chechnya is like?

Hiring violent militants to break into their house and murder their family is also an odd way to treat people as ‘cousins’.
You would think the Russians would know they need to be seen as caring to the Ukrainian population. Doing senseless bad shit like that is only going to make their job even that harder.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
My main concern right now is, all these arms moving in to support Ukranian fighters is great, but the flip side is if Russia does win this conflict and come to dominate the area, a lot of these arms are going to go right into their hands.
This is a irrelevant worry to have because Russia already had these types of weapons to begin with. Ukraine obviously did not.

So by supplying these you are giving the ukrainians the ability to do an enormous amount of damage while they can and possibly even win in the long run in a way or you give them the ability to do an immense amount of damage up until the point that they lose and then Russia just ends up with a whole bunch of weapons that they already had access to in the first place.

It's about perspective when it comes from the viewpoint of the US and the rest of NATO. Because with all of these sanctions that have now been heaped upon the shoulders of Russia and his economy every single helicopter or jet that is shot down or every tank that is destroyed by these weapons is something that Russia cannot reasonably replace anytime soon thanks to the soul crushing sanctions that they have been handed.

So long story short Ukraine is basically being used not only as a shield and a puppet, but also as a way to weaken Russia even further. Because every kill they make is a kill for NATO when you really sit back and look at it.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I have to wonder if Putin really thought all of this through. Did he think that Ukraine was just going to roll over? Did he think that the west would be so scared of his nukes that they wouldn't sanction the fucking shit out of him?

I just don't understand it. This is a man who has spent the better part of the last 15 years creating chaos and dissension in the West and NATO. Then in one sweeping move of idiocy he has united the entirety of the West in less than a week. The Western powers of Europe and North America have not been more united in possibly the last 30 years than they have been in the last 72 hours basically.

I have racked my brain for the last few days trying to figure out if there's any ulterior motive or under the table transaction that Russia is going to benefit from here, but for the life of me I cannot think of a single way that any of this comes out as a win for Russia at this point.

I liked this opinion piece on the matter - suggesting that like autocrats before him he is unraveling in similar ways that are more specific to modern Russia:

In 2018, 3 percent of Russians held about 90 percent of the country’s assets, with Putin's oligarchs owning the lion's share of those.

At the same time, Putin suffers from fantasies of grandeur. He obtained a nationalist high, and soaring approval ratings, following his 2014 annexation of Crimea. Perhaps he believes he can repeat the experience.

Yet Russia is a different place in 2022, both in terms of foreign preparedness to act against his kleptocracy and the degree of domestic disaffection with Putin's corruption and repression that have accelerated over the past few years.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm no military or political expert, but maybe Putin purposely allowed his wave 1 of assaults to be gimped, so Ukraine resistance could put up a fight to make it look like Ukraine are being the killers. So Putin is allowing his first wave (which social media even says seems unorganized and inexperienced) to be picked off.

If you steamroll Ukraine with the giant heaps of military (assuming those stat charts are true), it makes it look like you're a giant oppressor taking over with too strong of a fist.

Doing this wont convince international governments. But at least some of his own people might eat up the PR.

Who knows.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

I'm no military or political expert, but maybe Putin purposely allowed his wave 1 of assaults to be gimped, so Ukraine resistance could put up a fight to make it look like Ukraine are being the killers. So Putin is allowing his first wave (which social media even says seems unorganized and inexperienced) to be picked off.

If you steamroll Ukraine with the giant heaps of military (assuming those stat charts are true), it makes it look like you're a giant oppressor taking over with too strong of a fist.

Doing this wont convince international governments. But at least some of his own people might eat up the PR.

Who knows.
That skillful soft touch doesn't seem to jive with their earlier feeble attempts at false flags before the invasion.

Plus, Ukraine taking prisoners and letting them call home instead of executing them would make that more difficult.

Last edited:

Sega Orphan

Banned
Hey if you wanna carry water for the Russians running people over then go ahead.

I won't stop you.
It has nothing to do with carrying water, and more to do with trying to be factual.
You posted something saying a Russian tank ran over a poor guys car. I pointed out that it most likely a Ukrainian one due to the marking on it, and you jumped off the deep end calling me fucking stupid. Now you know why it isn't a Russian tank, rather than manning up and saying that you might of got it wrong, you dig deeper.
What I will say to you is this, there is a ton of propaganda and hoaxs out there about this war. Remember the footage of the Ukrainian MIG shooting down the Russian SU? It was from a video game, but it didnt stop it going all over the net as a propaganda story about the "Ghost".
Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.

Doczu

And yet after days of fighting and thousands of their soldiers dead Russia has no major gains in the country.

Turns out when you have an army that doesn't really want to fight and you throw it against an army that is fighting for their lives and their home you're going to have a bit of an imbalance.
This part is what makes me question everything.

We still haven't seen a real battle. With the whole military might.
I don't buy the whole "they are unprepared, low morale and broke as fuck"

Yes they are broke, but if you want to make the population of your country forget they are broke you start a war. But you are preparing for said war in advance so that your forces don't stop in 3 days. This would be madness and no matter how much people like to emotionally post that Putin is a madman, he is not a cretin.

They are using just a fraction of the stationed forces (which itself is just a part of their army, not everything they have), mostly fresh conscripts and the bulk of heavy equipment is their older tech (mixed with newer stuff, some of the destroyed tanks are the newest models).

They don't use mass scale terror tactics, they don' bomb the cities day and night, they didn't crush Ukraine with numbers alone.

IMO this is deliberate and i've said it before - they wan't to minimize civilian casualty, infrastructure damage and their PR in Ukraine. Of course they are the invaders, but there is a difference in "Russian forces took over Charkov and are moving west" to "Russian forces destroyed Charkov and are moving west. The civilian population is scrambling to put out fires left after days of heavy bombing. Left with no water, food and electricity the local population is devastated with the war (...)".
They have a clear end goal and that is to make sure Ukraine has taken minimal damage in the battles.

And i'll happy to eat a truck load of crows, hats and shoes if i'm wrong. At least i won't be bordering Russia on my whole eastern flank.

Sega Orphan

Banned

Who knows.
We don't know what the Russians game plan is, or how it is going. The pro Ukrainian side of things want the narrative that the Ukrainians are kicking arse and the Russians are failing. It gives energy to the Ukrainians and puts doubts in people's minds about Russia. I assume that if we were listening to the Russian media we would be hearing about how the Ukrainians are falling to pieces and the brave Russians soldiers are ahead of their schedule.

I personally am thinking that maybe Putin hopes or thought that in the face of certain defeat the Ukranian military might of taken over the government. In a world of subterfuge it might well be possible that there was a group within the military who wernt loyal to the current government and Putin was talking to them, who knows.

Hopefully the Russians become bogged down and look for an exit sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

PCH

Neo Member

Yes they are broke, but if you want to make the population of your country forget they are broke you start a war. But you are preparing for said war in advance so that your forces don't stop in 3 days. This would be madness and no matter how much people like to emotionally post that Putin is a madman, he is not a cretin.

They are using just a fraction of the stationed forces (which itself is just a part of their army, not everything they have), mostly fresh conscripts and the bulk of heavy equipment is their older tech (mixed with newer stuff, some of the destroyed tanks are the newest models).

They don't use mass scale terror tactics, they don' bomb the cities day and night, they didn't crush Ukraine with numbers alone.

IMO this is deliberate and i've said it before - they wan't to minimize civilian casualty, infrastructure damage and their PR in Ukraine. Of course they are the invaders, but there is a difference in "Russian forces took over Charkov and are moving west" to "Russian forces destroyed Charkov and are moving west. The civilian population is scrambling to put out fires left after days of heavy bombing. Left with no water, food and electricity the local population is devastated with the war (...)".
They have a clear end goal and that is to make sure Ukraine has taken minimal damage in the battles.

And i'll happy to eat a truck load of crows, hats and shoes if i'm wrong. At least i won't be bordering Russia on my whole eastern flank.
Since you seem to be from Poland - you should watch that

Unfortunately only in polish.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

No major gains? They captured key infrastructure like power plants and airports. They have their capital surrounded. I wish you were right but this is not the reality. Maybe Twitter reality.

Yes, many Ukrainians will fight until they die but many more are fleeing the country. In Poland (Lubelszczyzna) there are no places in hotels left to host them.

Well, at least Poland's demographic problem is sorted. :messenger_hushed:

We don't know what the Russians game plan is, or how it is going. The pro Ukrainian side of things want the narrative that the Ukrainians are kicking arse and the Russians are failing. It gives energy to the Ukrainians and puts doubts in people's minds about Russia. I assume that if we were listening to the Russian media we would be hearing about how the Ukrainians are falling to pieces and the brave Russians soldiers are ahead of their schedule.

I personally am thinking that maybe Putin hopes or thought that in the face of certain defeat the Ukranian military might of taken over the government. In a world of subterfuge it might well be possible that there was a group within the military who wernt loyal to the current government and Putin was talking to them, who knows.

Hopefully the Russians become bogged down and look for an exit sooner rather than later.

Actually this is all wrong. The Russian Media is oddly silent and has been avoiding the war. This is very different that Crimea and Syria. In Syria they even were showing video of a Russian missile strike on what turned out to be a hospital if memory serves me correctly, they were just spewing PR out.

For instance:

Last edited:

sinnergy

No major gains? They captured key infrastructure like power plants and airports. They have their capital surrounded. I wish you were right but this is not the reality. Maybe Twitter reality.

Yes, many Ukrainians will fight until they die but many more are fleeing the country. In Poland (Lubelszczyzna) there are no places in hotels left to host them.

For such a large force .. it’s pathetic. And it will turn out into a defeat and probably fighting for years. Their Blitzkrieg totally back fired . That’s what they planned for , with their garbage army.

Last edited:

MadAnon

Wars are not fought on spreadsheets. It's like those youtube military "experts" comparing some arbitrary numbers of Apache vs Ka-52 and concluded that Ka-52 is better and therfore russians are stronger. The same "experts" will tell you F-35 is garbage because it's not a dogfighter while those handful of airshow exhibitions of SU-57 makes the russian airforce shit on the US.

Better tell me how many of it is actually in well maintained, up to date conditions. 30k armored vehicles? Sure. Counting in their ww2 relics still in service. I could go on.

Last edited:

Doczu

Since you seem to be from Poland - you should watch that

Unfortunately only in polish.

Thanks, will check it. Although for many people one of the talking heads is quite... Controversional. Zychowicz, a joirnalist and political/historic author wrote a few WW2 books where he pointed out the lunacy of polish diplomacy and the polish spirit.
Not everyone likes him.

akimbo009

Gold Member

Kyiv isn't surrounded. And we are getting Intel reports from UK, US and 3rd party confirmation that things aren't going as planned.

The cynical demo joke about Poland is pretty gross.

Cyberpunkd

You are very right, if Russia decided to go all out Ukraine would be conquered within days.
The problem right now is that slow advance makes countries impose more and more sanctions, so Russians are a little bit against the clock here.

RAÏSanÏa

They are fucking clueless .. they are stuck in the past .. we should wall them, In That way they can life in the past century. Win/win
The Russian supporters in my country should have the chance to emigrate. Unfortunately, for some reason they would rather stay.

It's like they know life is better here, but don't want to admit the reasons for it.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

Funny how people from eastern Europe can see it but others can’t. I hope we’re wrong but I’m afraid that’s not the case.

Doczu

At least we take the refugees in and i'm proud of that. Shows the lefties.thst we weren't stopping the hordes from Belarus because we hate people, we stopped them cause they weren't real refugees.
For such a large force .. it’s pathetic. And it will turn out into a defeat and probably fighting for years. Their Blitzkrieg totally back fired . That’s what they planned for , with their garbage army.
They didn't use all of their ststioned forces. Yes, they probably hoped that would suffice to take down Ukrainian forces, but that's not all they got.

PCH

Neo Member
Thanks, will check it. Although for many people one of the talking heads is quite... Controversional. Zychowicz, a joirnalist and political/historic author wrote a few WW2 books where he pointed out the lunacy of polish diplomacy and the polish spirit.
Not everyone likes him.
Its strictly no bull about the situation, Zychowicz is there more to ask questions, Wolski is military expert from military side and its all about his talk.

Gp1

Russian gameplan was to finish this in less then 4-5 days with a new government, low casualties and massive popular support. That's why they open up 4 fronts with different logistics, air support, etc.
They chosen to execute a complicated plan to solve this problem fast.

But right now they don't control communications so the Ukrainian version has already prevailed both domestically and internationally, they don't have air superiority which leads to massive logistical problems, they lost momentum in their attack because of the logistics and they will face a stiff opposition from the locals in the city centers that they bypassed initially.

So now they have to escalate and bring more troops to solve the equation. Which will lead to more supply problems and a degradation of their already tarnished image both in Ukraine and in world.

If this isn't a clusterfuck I don't know what it is.

You are very right, if Russia decided to go all out Ukraine would be conquered within days.
The problem right now is that slow advance makes countries impose more and more sanctions, so Russians are a little bit against the clock here.

Why do people assume they aren't trying? They have over 50% of their military on the Ukrainian border. It's not like Russia is a small country without the need to maintain external and internal security at the same time it's conducting these operations. I mean, the Russians asked Kazakhstan to supply troops for the war, but were denied.

Russia just failed the first few days. Eventually they might suceed because of the sheer number differences, but they still don't have air-superiority, they didn't cut off Ukrainian command and control in the opening nights or since. The special ops battle for Hostomel Airport should have been over and taken in the first night, it went back and forth for some time. They've lost according to some reporting thousands of men, tens of aircraft, tanks and armored vehicles. See below:

Last edited:
Reactions: Gp1

Rossco EZ

i’m so confused about what putins goal is (i know he would like Ukraine and to install a pro Russian gov) because if he wanted to take Kiev they could of by now, they are using junk old armour and young inexperienced soldiers from what we’ve seen from the videos and i just can’t understand it. im sitting here thinking if this guy tried to even attack any nato country or drive tanks into the lands we would just obliterate them.. just imagine all the jets we’d be sending at ground units if he tried the same on a nato country by driving tanks in.

i think most will agree that Russia wouldn’t want to be embarrassed or seen weak like this and right now they are looking like a bunch of fools.. maybe they can control what Russian’s see but they are looking absolutely pathetic to the west and it just seems strange. yes maybe they under estimated the Ukraine’s determination but they either back off now and look weak (something i don’t think they will want at all) or he really goes for it tonight or tomorrow.

does anyone think he has just lost the plot or i don’t know is terminally ill and simply couldn’t care less cause it doesn’t make sense to me that the Russians are openly letting themselves be embarrassed like this when we know they could send in better equipment and be more organised. just doesn’t feel right to me

sinnergy

At least we take the refugees in and i'm proud of that. Shows the lefties.thst we weren't stopping the hordes from Belarus because we hate people, we stopped them cause they weren't real refugees.

They didn't use all of their ststioned forces. Yes, they probably hoped that would suffice to take down Ukrainian forces, but that's not all they got.
No I agree .. they have much more garbage..
None wants a dragging war .. there is no tactic here .. his plan didn’t work.

Doczu

I agree, Poland’s population is rapidly decreasing, I think last year we had the highest net loss since 1945. And since the government and people will not take Middle-East réfugiés what is left are fellow Slavs, Belarusians, Moldovans and Ukrainians.
Well i think this option is better. Less problems with integration, less differences in the long term.
Funny how people from eastern Europe can see it but others can’t. I hope we’re wrong but I’m afraid that’s not the case.
Cause we are bordering Russia and Germany the rest are bordering cheese makers, spaghetti lovers, maple syrup producers etc.
Its strictly no bull about the situation, Zychowicz is there more to ask questions, Wolski is military expert from military side and its all about his talk.
Good to know, will surely check it.
does anyone think he has just lost the plot or i don’t know is terminally ill and simply couldn’t care less cause it doesn’t make sense to me that the Russians are openly letting themselves be embarrassed like this when we know they could send in better equipment and be more organised. just doesn’t feel right to me
Welcome to the tin foil hat club. Current topic: why the fuck aren't they using their best tech + expierenced/gardened troops to win it in a few days?

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Why do people assume they aren't trying? They have over 50% of their military on the Ukrainian border. It's not like Russia is a small country without the need to maintain external and internal security at the same time it's conducting these operations. I mean, the Russians asked Kazakhstan to supply troops for the war, but were denied.

Russia just failed the first few days. Eventually they might suceed because of the sheer number differences, but they still don't have air-superiority, they didn't cut off Ukrainian command and control in the opening nights or since. The special ops battle for Hostomel Airport should have been over and taken in the first night, it went back and forth for some time. They've lost according to some reporting thousands of men, tens of aircraft, tanks and armored vehicles. See below:

That's great they were denied by Kazakhstan. I was wondering how bordering countries like them and Mongolia were reacting.

sinnergy

You right , they have more garbage left ..
No one wants a long war , they thought they could go in and conquer.. instead the plan back fired. Now they are probably looking at a guerilla war , we all know how afghan and Vietnam went, that’s probably why the west waited to provide military support .. now they see the Ukrainians have a shot at succeeding, the west are starting support .

Last edited:

FunkMiller

well, Vladimir Putin. He was around when the Soviet Union got fucked in Afghanistan. He also knows what happened to the Americans in Vietnam.

Overwhelming advantage in terms of arms, ordnance and personnel does not automatically ensure victory.

Putin thought he could do this with a small percentage of his standing army. Turns out he can’t.

i’m so confused about what putins goal is (i know he would like Ukraine and to install a pro Russian gov) because if he wanted to take Kiev they could of by now, they are using junk old armour and young inexperienced soldiers from what we’ve seen from the videos and i just can’t understand it. im sitting here thinking if this guy tried to even attack any nato country or drive tanks into the lands we would just obliterate them.. just imagine all the jets we’d be sending at ground units if he tried the same on a nato country by driving tanks in.

i think most will agree that Russia wouldn’t want to be embarrassed or seen weak like this and right now they are looking like a bunch of fools.. maybe they can control what Russian’s see but they are looking absolutely pathetic to the west and it just seems strange. yes maybe they under estimated the Ukraine’s determination but they either back off now and look weak (something i don’t think they will want at all) or he really goes for it tonight or tomorrow.

Fess

Wars are not fought on spreadsheets. It's like those youtube military "experts" comparing some arbitrary numbers of Apache vs Ka-52 and concluded that Ka-52 is better and therfore russians are stronger. The same "experts" will tell you F-35 is garbage because it's not a dogfighter while those handful of airshow exhibitions of SU-57 makes the russian airforce shit on the US.
Plus, if we’re comparing numbers Ukraine has 45 million people who don’t want their country to fall. How many will defend it with a gun if needed? Can’t google up a spreadsheet on that.

I don’t see what’s Putin’s plan to end this well. No matter if they take control they’ll need to have military patrolling the streets in a big country for years to keep guerrilla and rebel fighting in control. What does history show, do people ever fully stand down and accept an invasion?

It’s a complete disaster on a political level for Russia too, they’ve pretty much become the #1 enemy of the western world in the last few days. They’re getting cut off from everything, banks, sports, culture, social media, etc etc.
How will this affect regular russian people who never wanted any of this? Likely more than Putin and I expect we’ll see people try relocating to other countries. Living in a bubble is no fun and a bubble is still a bubble even if it’s big.

NoviDon

this is why authoritarian dictatorships cant stand the test of time. the people at the top having absolutely zero buffer for greed, and siphoning money out of various financial sectors including the military funding because theirs no law to check them, they are the law. and the generals and others promoted into high offices aren't hired out of merit, but because they will be a lap dog for the ones in power, effectively weakening the entire system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom