• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagey K

Banned
Feel like I'm back in 1984

Time for us to replay The Day After Tomorrow, and get the Red Scare all over again?

Russia (or the U.S.S.R) has been a pain in my ass since I can remember.

sinnergy

Plus, if we’re comparing numbers Ukraine has 45 million people who don’t want their country to fall. How many will defend it with a gun if needed? Can’t google up a spreadsheet on that.

I don’t see what’s Putin’s plan to end this well. No matter if they take control they’ll need to have military patrolling the streets in a big country for years to keep guerrilla and rebel fighting in control. What does history show, do people ever fully stand down and accept an invasion?

It’s a complete disaster on a political level for Russia too, they’ve pretty much become the #1 enemy of the western world in the last few days. They’re getting cut off from everything, banks, sports, culture, social media, etc etc.
How will this affect regular russian people who never wanted any of this? Likely more than Putin and I expect we’ll see people try relocating to other countries. Living in a bubble is no fun and a bubble is still a bubble even if it’s big.
Best outcome is a Russian revolution. They need to overthrow their leadership and demand freedom and democracy. If a whole country does this , military doesn’t stand a chance.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

You mean am I worried about one of the worlds crazier, cruelest, callous dictators initiating World War 3? Nah, I’m not worried.
Good news! WW3 has already begun.

🌰Fear is the mind-killer.

Part of the problem with everyone using the same equipment.
gC1TuHG.jpg
The benefit should go to the OP.

Fess

Best outcome is a Russian revolution.
It’s not easy when someone is ruling by fear… but yeah unfortunately I don’t think the war will end from something happening on the outside, sanctions are too slow. But I also don’t think it’ll end quickly as some say, Putin just want the leaders to crumble and then insert a pro-russian top, he don’t want to erase the population, the idea is that he’s ”liberating” the country, and when people don’t want to be ”liberated” things don’t go so smoothly.

Bobnob

If people like this are in the defense of Ukraine, Russia would have to spill the blood of an entire nation if they wish to keep it. Their army isn't that big. Putin is about to learn a time-honored mistake we Americans have let our military make a lot in the last many decades: occupation is hell and almost always fails; maybe not today or even next year, but it fails.

If I'm wrong I will be surprised. It's not often a smaller millitary force can permanantly placate a country the size of Ukraine.
Sky News in England estimating a 10 year war for the the same points you raise.

He's that scary?

He and his cricle of "buddies" have already made examples of people that went against his and his compadres wishes or beliefs.

My hopes, my imagination

I personally, hope this will be a catalyst for a new uprising or revolution within Russia where the people will succeed in overthrowing the current regime in some way. Navalny is a far more suitable and qualified candidate for leadership of the Russian people than Putin. Same goes or Putin's entourage. I personally believe he would help Russia recover. The Russian people deserve better than what they have now.

He and his cricle of "buddies" have already made examples of people that went against his and his compadres wishes or beliefs.

I personally, hope this will be a catalyst for a new uprising or revolution within Russia where the people will succeed in overthrowing the current regime in some way. Navalny is a far more suitable and qualified candidate for leadership of the Russian people than Putin. Same goes or Putin's entourage. I personally believe he would help Russia recover. The Russian people deserve better than what they have now.
No. Russia was never better and more peaceful after any revolution.

NoviDon

German Chancellor is speaking about Germany diversifying their sources of energy and fully commited to sanctions and supplying weapons to Ukraine, even says they will support stricter sanctions if needed. Putin really fucking himself and his rich cronies over.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
German Chancellor is speaking about Germany diversifying their sources of energy and fully commited to sanctions and supplying weapons to Ukraine, even says they will support stricter sanctions if needed. Putin really fucking himself and his rich cronies over.

I mean Germany single handedly kept Russia economy alive facilitating the transition from failed communist country to full on petrostate.

If they were to state that no matter the consequences they would ban Russian energy imports that would hurt the fuck out of Putin and the oligarchs.

NoviDon

I mean Germany single handedly kept Russia economy alive facilitating the transition from failed communist country to full on petrostate.

If they were to state that no matter the consequences they would ban Russian energy imports that would hurt the fuck out of Putin and the oligarchs.
could probably cause another total regime collapse eventually. even if Germany doesn't completely cut out Russian oil trading, looking forward with the eventual viability of mature Fusion reactor technology its not looking good with the Russian economy being 50% propped up by natural gas and oil. I guess the greedy fucks in the Krem are hoping to be dead by then.

FunkMiller

Let's gather up special forces from around the west, claim they are 'random mercenaries,' and shrug at Russia if they ask if we sent troops in 😆

That’s probably pretty much exactly what’s happening. The UK foreign secretary said today that she encouraged private UK citizens to help the Ukrainian war effort. This is essentially saying to every single SAS and ex-SAS soldier that they can go fight, and the government will turn a blind eye.

Expect the same from the US with their spec ops, from Israel with theirs… etc. Scary shit.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
So it’s going to come down to who has the most mates.

Out of interest when was putin last seen live on Russian TV?

Last edited:
Well, the best outcome would be to break Russia up into several different countries, semi nationalize the oil industry in each of the resulting states, have different segments of Europe make different agreements with different parts of the former Russian Federation for energy, and have some kind of multinational oversight body to keep corruption at bay. Same with grain.
I was thinking the same, purely hypothetical of course. There were plans for Germany after WW2 along those lines. Same thing would be a great solution for bully #1 China.

That’s probably pretty much exactly what’s happening. The UK foreign secretary said today that she encouraged private UK citizens to help the Ukrainian war effort. This is essentially saying to every single SAS and ex-SAS soldier that they can go fight, and the government will turn a blind eye.

Expect the same from the US with their spec ops, from Israel with theirs… etc. Scary shit.

Issue is doesn't attract that kind of people, half the westerners who ended up in Gitmo, joined the Kosovo war orginally.

Mato

Edit: correction

Germany's Chancellor has announced an increase in the annual military budget, to 100 billion Euros. That is more than double what it was last year and almost quadruple what it was before that. He has also vouched to keep it high from here on in the future. Essentially Germany has decided to build a powerful and modern army for the first time since WW2.

Link

Last edited:

chromhound

Germany's Chancellor has announced an increase in the annual military budget, to 100 billion Euros. That is more than double what it was last year and almost quadruple what it was before that. He has also vouched to keep it high from here on in the future. Essentially Germany has decided to build a powerful and modern army for the first time since WW2.

Link
Getting ready for WW3 ?

Fess

Link
Russia has awaken a sleeping bear, all western countries will follow guaranteed.
I’m not sure if this is good or bad yet.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Russia has awaken a sleeping bear, all western countries will follow guaranteed.
I’m not sure if this is good or bad yet.

Game of chicken with nukes… I say bad.

Goddamn Putin: he and his chronies owned Russia but he had to have imperial ambitions smh.

Amiga

Ukraine itself is a bigger economic bounty for Russia. what they gain from that is more than what they lose in sanctions. the resources they get are more real than western printed money.

Let's gather up special forces from around the west, claim they are 'random mercenaries,' and shrug at Russia if they ask if we sent troops in 😆

Russia could do the same in former Yugoslavia nations and the Baltics. better know the stakes before escalating.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
You guys don’t seem to get how big it is for post war Germany to do such a 180 within days. Them sending weapons was already mind mending. Spending a 100billion on the Bundeswehr after decades of willingly underfunding is massive. It’s like if the US announced they’d cut all military spending and start paying every citizen a guaranteed basic income.

Sybrix

You guys don’t seem to get how big it is for post war Germany to do such a 180 within days. Them sending weapons was already mind mending. Spending a 100billion on the Bundeswehr after decades of willingly underfunding is massive. It’s like if the US announced they’d cut all military spending and start paying every citizen a guaranteed basic income.

Correct.

This move by Germany is very telling and signals that the Russian threat to Western Europe could be around the corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom