• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyberpunkd

I don’t think that is the way things works. These type of people have real assets, i.e. real state, gold, jewel… Of course it will impact in a way, but far from making them poor. What can make a difference is the economy being so fucked up that the people will go out and protest against Putin. He can’t take in a whole country.
Your real estate is not worth much if it’s confiscated or reduced to rubble / nobody wants to buy it.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
It's really not that odd. It's weird that Germany hasn't had a major military for any length of time. The only reason it could have been that way is because the political situation after WWII and the US's continued presence in Europe without the intent of conquest there. America's use of soft power to offset worries about hard power after WWII, especially in Germany, Japan and Korea is a phenomenally weird thing. It's even weirder that we have done actual nation building and not set up puppet governments in those places if you look at it through a historical lens.

Germany is returning to normal. This is the end of an anomaly, not the beginning of one.
It’s not strange at all that Germany didn’t have a strong military presence. They started WWII, Nazis and everything.

You need to understand that Germany, contrary to most countries including the US, have acknowledged their wrong doings, teach them 85+ years later to every child in school and are still of the mindset that they cannot be seen as aggressive on the geopolitical stage.

Germans show their flags under one condition in public and this is every four years when a football worldcup is taken place. That is it.
Otherwise there are no flags around. Can you Image that there are just no German flags in Munich when you walk around. None.
This is the mindset drilled into people that Germans not need be nationalistic and with that don’t have nuclear weapons, no big army, they abandoned mandatory military service.
This is not back to normal, as Germany doesn’t have a normal past. This is like Scholz said a new Time we are living now.

Last edited:
URL unfurl="true"]https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/
1IjKJWa.png

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
It’s not strange at all that Germany didn’t have a strong military presence. They started WWII, Nazis and everything.

You need to understand that Germany, contrary to most countries including the US, have acknowledged their wrong doings, teach them 85+ years later to every child in school and are still of the mindset that they cannot be seen as aggressive on the geopolitical stage.

Germans show their flags under one condition in public and this is every four years when a football worldcup is taken place. That is it.
Otherwise there are no flags around. Can you Image that there are just no German flags in Munich when you walk around. None.
This is the mindset drilled into people that Germans not need be nationalistic and with that don’t have nuclear weapons, no big army, they abandoned mandatory military service.
This is not back to normal, as Germany doesn’t have a normal past. This is like Scholz said a new Time we are living now.
You're acting like history only goes back 80 years. The conditions that lead to Germany not being a military power in Europe are anomalous. Those conditions are changing and Germany is returning to normal.

MadAnon

I believe Putin actually doesn't have the nuke button? There still should be some high ranking military officers who can decide if nuke gets launched or not.

Russians surely can’t be brainwashed enough to think a leader who is threatening nuclear war is the good guy? Nuts.

NATO have enough nukes to erase Russia off the map right? So what’s his plan other than doing the real world equivalent of a table flip.

belmarduk

I'm no military or political expert, but maybe Putin purposely allowed his wave 1 of assaults to be gimped, so Ukraine resistance could put up a fight to make it look like Ukraine are being the killers. So Putin is allowing his first wave (which social media even says seems unorganized and inexperienced) to be picked off.

If you steamroll Ukraine with the giant heaps of military (assuming those stat charts are true), it makes it look like you're a giant oppressor taking over with too strong of a fist.

Doing this wont convince international governments. But at least some of his own people might eat up the PR.

Who knows.

That he sent in the first wave knowing they would be defeated? That is not going to boost Russian morale at all. Sending your own soldiers to die is a despicable thing to do.. and its not going to work because the Ukranian people are defending their country.. and nearly the whole world is on their side. Putin's got what... Lukaschenko?

Russians surely can’t be brainwashed enough to think a leader who is threatening nuclear war is the good guy? Nuts.

NATO have enough nukes to erase Russia off the map right? So what’s his plan other than doing the real world equivalent of a table flip.
He's absolutely insane. He's now escalating the threat of nukes while knowing that that's a death threat to his own country.

Thaedolus

I believe Putin actually doesn't have the nuke button? There still should be some high ranking military officers who can decide if nuke gets launched or not.
I have no idea what Putin can do unilaterally, but even in the US where large military intervention at least technically requires congressional approval, only the president needs to sign off on a nuclear strike due to the timeliness needed

ManaByte

Gold Member
Why is Russia willing to negotiate now as opposed to before the war? Sign of weakness?

Either:
1. He's getting his ass kicked from unexpected resistance and they know they can't take Kyiv.
2. It's a distraction while he launches a ICBM to vaporize the city.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
is he actually threatening with nukes now?

Sort of.

Russia has the largest number of nukes out of any nation, but he's also well aware that NATO has enough nukes to wipe Russia off the planet.

I assume the idea is to warn Western powers that he's willing to use nukes if there is anymore serious interference. It's a way to try and prevent further sanctions and help to Ukraine, but I really don't think he'll actually considering using them.

Think of it as en empty threat to try and get NATO to back off.

Mistake

You speaking from experience or what? Because I didn’t learn of the trail of tears from the internet, google wasn’t even a thing. Especially after recent events, there’s very little pride in history classes

Last edited:

Amiga

Yah, but the scale would be so massive the nuclear winter would destroy most life on the planet.

sinnergy

The meeting is just for more time to restock both sides 🤣 that’s how war tactics work, it’s beginning to look like a shitshow .. and more like WW3 … sorry guys .

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

Ukrainians are built different lol

Brave thing to do but not for the reason you think.

He's in no danger from the mine, it will only detonate when a heavy vehicle triggers the pressure plate, but he could have been in real danger from Russian troops and snipers that may have been nearby.

Sakura

Why is Russia willing to negotiate now as opposed to before the war? Sign of weakness?
Russia was willing to "negotiate" before the war, but Ukraine and the West weren't willing to accept their demands.
Now that they have actually invaded Ukraine maybe they think the answer will be different.

Fess

He's absolutely insane. He's now escalating the threat of nukes while knowing that that's a death threat to his own country.
Acting like an animal trapped in a cage.

I hope the peace talk tweets were real at least. I hope it’s not too late. It can’t be too late. Seeing a war like this unfold before our eyes in 2022 when we’re all connected is just horrible. The younger generation are all talking to each other, there are barely no borders, they can sit at the night and play games with people from Russia and Ukraine and US and Germany etc. People are all united in a way the old guys in the leader positions will never understand. There needs to be a way for people to drop the weapons and just go to a bar and hang out over a beer or something instead of this insanity.

Last edited:

Sakura

Their demands to turn Ukraine into a dictatorial Russian puppet state? Yeah, there's not much to negotiate there.
No their demands about Ukraine not being allowed in NATO and also probably Donbas.
The negotiations could also be PR for Russians. "We wanted peace but they said no"

Thaedolus

Russia was willing to "negotiate" before the war, but Ukraine and the West weren't willing to accept their demands.
Now that they have actually invaded Ukraine maybe they think the answer will be different.
Not the best strategy to get your ass embarrassed and sanctioned into hell then come back to the negotiating table and expect a better deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom