• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sakura

Not the best strategy to get your ass embarrassed and sanctioned into hell then come back to the negotiating table and expect a better deal
Well why else would they be there? To sign a peace deal without getting anything? That would be even more of an embarrassment.

ItsGreat

Russians surely can’t be brainwashed enough to think a leader who is threatening nuclear war is the good guy? Nuts.

NATO have enough nukes to erase Russia off the map right? So what’s his plan other than doing the real world equivalent of a table flip.

If the population hasn't been taught about MAD maybe it's of no concern.

Ignorance is bliss as it were.

sinnergy

There is no good outcome from these talks .. only time tactics and troop relocations .. it’s all very war strategy .. the UN nuclear agency is in talks .. its looking bad imo . Putin seems totally crazy .. he can do anything.. best is to send special forces and liquidate him .

Last edited:

Amiga

Correct. The “mutual assured destruction” principal guarantees that Russia won't be using Nuke. Putin is just swinging his nuclear dick and seeing if it scares off western nations.

Only if directly targeted. Would France/UK use it to cover Ukraine? Putin claims Ukraine is part of Russia so he is signaling it's now part of the nuclear defense coverage. He would be also warning non-nuclear NATO countries that they are signing in for a nuclear threat.

ItsGreat

Only if directly targeted. Would France/UK use it to cover Ukraine? Putin claims Ukraine is part of Russia so he is signaling it's now part of the nuclear defense coverage. He would be also warning non-nuclear NATO countries that they are signing in for a nuclear threat.

Putin loves Ukraines history. I don't think he'd want to destroy a place with such heritage.

If he did strike within Ukraine he would have to be very clear that he was targeting a Ukranian target. 😰

Thaedolus

Well why else would they be there? To sign a peace deal without getting anything? That would be even more of an embarrassment.
Peace and some drawn down from the sanctions they’re currently facing would be getting something. They’ve lost ground. Their invasion has been feckless and embarrassing and made them an international pariah. Their only real ace in the hole is causing global nuclear annihilation.

The deal they’re going to get is worse than where they started because they’re in a far worse condition than they were before launching their attack, but better than what they’re going to get in a week or a month from now. Still, they’re probably using these “talks” as a pretext for something else

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!

Found the reactivated Russian bot

(no one but Russian bots are confusing these old images with new ones, and look at who this bot is being replied to by - holy shit, Russian bots even on a video game discussion forum, crazy shit)

Last edited:
Can you actually negotiate with a man like Putin?
You have to. There is no victory through conquest here. Russia cannot be defeated through military means. They can be stalled and held at bay, but the threat of nuclear war will always prevent any meaningful victory without negotiation.

Sakura

Peace and some drawn down from the sanctions they’re currently facing would be getting something. They’ve lost ground. Their invasion has been feckless and embarrassing and made them an international pariah. Their only real ace in the hole is causing global nuclear annihilation.

The deal they’re going to get is worse than where they started because they’re in a far worse condition than they were before launching their attack, but better than what they’re going to get in a week or a month from now. Still, they’re probably using these “talks” as a pretext for something else
Peace and a draw down of the sanctions would absolutely not be enough.
Russia still controls the situation. They have been trying to avoid cities and civilian casualties up until this point. The invasion has been restrained in a lot of areas.
They have the power to inflict far more damage on Ukraine if they wanted to.
If they are already an international pariah, then what is the incentive not to? The west will never fight Russia over Ukraine.
They are in no way a worse situation at the negotiation table than before the war.

E-Cat

No their demands about Ukraine not being allowed in NATO and also probably Donbas.
The negotiations could also be PR for Russians. "We wanted peace but they said no"
They knew that Putin would not stop there (NATO concession) but would be further emboldened.

It's probably PR and also buying time for the Russian troops to resupply.

Last edited:

Sybrix

You have to. There is no victory through conquest here. Russia cannot be defeated through military means. They can be stalled and held at bay, but the threat of nuclear war will always prevent any meaningful victory without negotiation.

Russia wants a 100% guarantee that Ukraine wont join NATO, they wont get this.

The east of Ukraine has been 'recognized' as independent pro-Russian states... no way Ukraine will let this continue and i cannot see Russia giving these up.

Dialogue is good but i cant see these negotiates going anywhere.

The only reason Russia are agreeing to talks is they are being decimated by the Ukrainian resistance

Last edited:

Amiga

Putin loves Ukraines history. I don't think he'd want to destroy a place with such heritage.

If he did strike within Ukraine he would have to be very clear that he was targeting a Ukranian target. 😰

This is war. run by military people in the Kremlin, not politicians and bureaucrats. win/lose are the only considerations now.

And a target could be military base or rural trenches for sending a nuclear message.

As for urban warfare they would just use same tactics as in Chechnya2 and Syria. probing/shelling/cornering By the end Aleppo looked like it was nuked several times

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
If Putin nukes Ukraine then Russia is getting invaded. There is no positive outcome for Russia if Pooty-Poot does that.

The east of Ukraine has been 'recognized' as independent pro-Russian states... no way Ukraine will let this continue and i cannot see Russia giving these up.

The only reason Russia are agreeing to talks is they are being decimated by the Ukrainian resistance
I don’t think anyone here has enough information to say what either side will or won’t do. What I am saying is that the only end to this comes through negotiation. Ukraine can’t defeat Russia. They can hold them off for a time. If Russia and Putin are so untraceable that they cannot be negotiated with, what would make you think retreat is more likely?

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I don’t think anyone here has enough information to say what either side will or won’t do. What I am saying is that the only end to this comes through negotiation. Ukraine can’t defeat Russia. They can hold them off for a time. If Russia and Putin are so untraceable that they cannot be negotiated with, what would make you think retreat is more likely?

OK comrade.

sinnergy

From his point of view the only negotiation that would happen is negotiating the terms of surrender. So no, negotiations now are just a PR exercise and intimidation tactic.
And to restock and move military for the time that is bought .. it’s looking grimmer and grimmer imo. Ukrainian needs to distribute the western stuff and Russia needs a new tactic for the assault.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Peace and a draw down of the sanctions would absolutely not be enough.
Russia still controls the situation. They have been trying to avoid cities and civilian casualties up until this point. The invasion has been restrained in a lot of areas.
They have the power to inflict far more damage on Ukraine if they wanted to.
If they are already an international pariah, then what is the incentive not to? The west will never fight Russia over Ukraine.
They are in no way a worse situation at the negotiation table than before the war.
Bro they can’t even fuel the vehicles and supply the soldiers they have in the country now. The don’t control the skies and their casualties are piling up while their troop morale plummets. They’re not in control of any major cities and if they go through with their ability to still just carpet bomb the country, then they’re well and truly fucked because the best they can hope for his a Pyrrhic victory. They’ll have gained a crater and completely cut themselves off from the rest of the world. Good job!

Peace and drawn down of sanctions with a solid helping of humiliation is the best they can hope for.

Also, this is ominous considering Japan’s stance on nukes. Even if it’s just talk, I think even such talk is unheard of post WWII

Amiga

If Putin nukes Ukraine then Russia is getting invaded. There is no positive outcome for Russia if Pooty-Poot does that.
If somebody tries to invade Russia they will be nuked in "self-defense"
and who is going to invade Russia? Western conscripts? and from what front? Latvia?

Star-Lord

From his point of view the only negotiation that would happen is negotiating the terms of surrender. So no, negotiations now are just a PR exercise and intimidation tactic.
That’s what I thought. Russia know this and Ukraine know this, so why waste time with this fake negotiation bullshit?

sinnergy

Aggressive statements

:messenger_tears_of_joy:
Putin is actually a little bitch.

I legitimately thought that Russia had a well drilled military for conventional warfare before this invasion however I’m now realising that apart from having nuclear weapons they are being ran by Borat-like characters :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Yup and their material looks stuck in the 80s.. maybe it would have worked in summer or spring and with a people that are less strong ..

It seems like the rumor was true that some soldiers thought it was a training exercise

People keep saying about propaganda. What do you think this is?

No, Russia is not being decimated and they have been trying to keep civilian casualties to a minimum but it definitely seems that it isn’t going as planned by the psico seating in Moscow. Also, failing to achieve simple tactical positions such as the Antonov airport just makes Russia army look even more unprepared and week. Just keep bringing more (and real) economic sanctions. This war should be unpayable by Russia.

Last edited:

Amiga

Bro they can’t even fuel the vehicles and supply the soldiers they have in the country now. The don’t control the skies and their casualties are piling up while their troop morale plummets. They’re not in control of any major cities and if they go through with their ability to still just carpet bomb the country, then they’re well and truly fucked because the best they can hope for his a Pyrrhic victory. They’ll have gained a crater and completely cut themselves off from the rest of the world. Good job!

Peace and drawn down of sanctions with a solid helping of humiliation is the best they can hope for.

Also, this is ominous considering Japan’s stance on nukes. Even if it’s just talk, I think even such talk is unheard of post WWII

There goes nuclear non-proliferation. nations without cover would build their own means now.

OK comrade.
It’s not even debatable. Ukraine is ceding ground, albeit slowly. Particular east of Kiev. Ukraine cannot win a military confrontation with Russia. They’ve been able to slow their progress and held out extremely admirably. But they’re going to lose this war if it continues. They can bleed Russia and they can make some sort of negotiated solution more advantageous to Russia than continued fighting by raising the cost. But they cannot win a protracted conflict. This is basic military reality. I’m sorry life isn’t a Marvel movie.

Aggressive statements

:messenger_tears_of_joy:
Putin is actually a little bitch.

I legitimately thought that Russia had a well drilled military for conventional warfare before this invasion however I’m now realising that apart from having nuclear weapons they are being ran by Borat-like characters :messenger_tears_of_joy:
War in a big urban space isn’t conventional warfare. But but but, with all the Russian separatists you’d think they had experience. Doesn’t seem so…

Mokus

They should have known .. as Hitler also had this problem 🤣
They knew that and that's why they attacked while the land is frozen. But from what we can see, Putin thought that it will be an easy "military operation". If the weather starting to warm up, the heavy artillery will be stuck mostly to the roads. Not ideal to encircle big cities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom