• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thaedolus

Will also allow more time for advance weapons and equipment from the west to flow into Ukrainians who can keep fortifying their positions. Putin may be using this as a tactic to regroup but he’s no genius if he thinks Ukraine won’t do the same.

crozier

I think in all likelihood that Putin raising the nuclear threat level is a negotiating tactic. If he manufactures a crisis, he can bargain his way out of it.

I hope.

Doczu

Yes but people here compare Russia's advance to a classic US shock and awe campaign.
And that's the wrong angle to look at it. They wan't to hold Ukraine without the need to help the puppet regime they will want to create.

They learned it after Afghanistan, something the US most likely missed when they went guns blazing to the middle east.
haha, OK comrade

Edit: On a more serious note - I am American, so I will continue to cheer on the good guy. You do you.
All the explanation needed.
ut if you are under some kind of delusion that your cheering changes the fundamental reality of the conflict, you should seek some professional help. I’m pointing out the realities, as hard as they are. And calling me some kind of traitor, even facetiously, doesn’t really change that. It just makes you look naive, ignorant, and petty.
Leave him, he calls everyone russian trolls and Putin bootlickers for even trying to discuss the conflict from multiple angles.

Thaedolus

The scary thing about the nuclear move isn’t necessarily that Putin would strike first but that some sort of false alarm or whatever triggers a retaliatory response before it can be verified as false and then it’s off to the Armageddon races from there. This is dangerous stuff to be doing even as a negotiating tactic with no intention to strike first. It’s going to probably require the US to lower its DEFCON level in response (I have no idea where it’s at now, but the lower it goes the closer everyone is getting fucked by a slip up on either side).

Forsete

Probably the UK/Swedish NLAW missiles they have already been using.
Its the AT4.
It can penetrate 420 mm of steel armour.

b901e45ba854dc20_800x800ar.JPG

Last edited:

Rossco EZ

The only way this ends quickly is if his oligarchs elect a different leader...
hoping it happens because all these sanctions i’m seeing right now are hard, if he isn’t in the right frame of mind (which he can’t be for attempting all this) then yeah, scary.

Super scary. This limp dicked dictator can't get the job done so now it's threating with nuclear weapons...
yeah, saw on the news about an artillery cannon they have that can shoot a small nuclear warhead i think they said tactical nuke? that might be used..
just hope something can be done, it’s showing on the news now where they have the better equipment lined up

(i don’t like sky news but they are showing what the russians have right now)

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
i’m glad everyone is sanctioning russia now heavily but i’m worried about how badly putin will take this, guy seems like a complete madman right now.. how far will he go now?
Who can he lash out at? It’s not like it’s just the UK or just the US sanctioning them. There is not one single country that Putin can target for retaliation, because basically every nation in the world has united and there’s over 30 countries supplying Ukraine with munitions.

I definitely think he could use a MOAB or FOAB to level a Ukrainian city though, literally just as a display of power and a warning to the other countries in the region.

Last edited:

Rossco EZ

Who can he lash out at? It’s not like it’s just the UK or just the US sanctioning them. There is not one single country that Putin can target for retaliation, because basically every nation in the world has united and there’s over 30 countries supplying Ukraine with munitions.
it’s not just talking about him using nukes on everyone it’s talking about smaller warheads.
idk gonna try not worry about it can’t do much if they do hit the button can we

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
The scary thing about the nuclear move isn’t necessarily that Putin would strike first but that some sort of false alarm or whatever triggers a retaliatory response before it can be verified as false and then it’s off to the Armageddon races from there. This is dangerous stuff to be doing even as a negotiating tactic with no intention to strike first. It’s going to probably require the US to lower its DEFCON level in response (I have no idea where it’s at now, but the lower it goes the closer everyone is getting fucked by a slip up on either side).

Some are saying we're at 2 right now, but I don't know how they've confirmed that.

RAÏSanÏa

talking about nukes and stuff being used on the news is scary stuff man, fuck
Like many earliest memories.

Think it's a reason Dune resonates with many subconsciously. The fictional threat having a foundation in real world geopolitics has enough touchstones to construct a means for psychic processing.

Last edited:

Mistake

The only way this ends quickly is if his oligarchs elect a different leader...
Hard to say. I remember this phrase from Japan, “the crazy you know is sometimes better than the crazy you don’t know.” Everything that has happened so far is very in line with what Putin said he would do. He even gave a speech in 2007 about it.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
You speaking from experience or what? Because I didn’t learn of the trail of tears from the internet, google wasn’t even a thing. Especially after recent events, there’s very little pride in history classes
In Germany (Bavaria where Im from) schoolchildren are required to go and see a concentration camp in person (guided tour), there's a LOT of places that document what happened in gruesome detail. Its a complete acceptance of guilt. No if's, but's, wasn't me.. This is more than just a single page in a history book. It got so far to coin a word in Germany, ask any German what "Vergangenheitsbewältigung" means to them.

I honestly don't think other nations go that far in doing this.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
theres a very real possibility of two things happening at this point - 1 being Putin losing control of the massively growing and angry anti-war campaigns going on in the Russian cities, and .. flat out running out of supplies and ammunition. Their tanks are already low on fuel according to some of these verified Ukrainian on-ground reporters.

Mistake

In Germany (Bavaria where Im from) schoolchildren are required to go and see a concentration camp in person (guided tour), there's a LOT of places that document what happened in gruesome detail. Its a complete acceptance of guilt. No if's, but's, wasn't me.. This is more than just a single page in a history book. It got so far to coin a word in Germany, ask any German what "Vergangenheitsbewältigung" means to them.

I honestly don't think other nations go that far in doing this.
I don’t think the Native Americans would be too pleased if we used their reservations for a school trip

lethial

Reeeeeeee
I don't think so.
https://www.defconlevel.com/disclaimer.php said:
This is not the official government alert status, but a community effort to reflect what the defcon level's alert status is, as accurately as possible at any given time through intel sharing and mutual monitoring of U.S. and global events. The official government alert status is not made available to the public right away. Taken from Defcon Level Warning System: https://www.defconlevel.com/disclaimer.php

Fess

it’s not just talking about him using nukes on everyone it’s talking about smaller warheads.
idk gonna try not worry about it can’t do much if they do hit the button can we
I just calmed the family during dinner, kids started asking all kinds of horrible things. Wife already have cancer so things are dark enough as it is. Doesn’t Putin have a family? I don’t understand how he can be this way. But we can’t do anything anyway, let’s just hope someone there still have a functional mind and refuse to press the button if the order is given.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I don’t think the Native Americans would be too pleased if we used their reservations for a school trip
I don't think they are too pleased with the content you teach at school about the colonization of Native American territories and all the horrors that came with it.

But I would agree to disagree, its a thread on the Invasion of Ukraine and this is going off topic hard.

Last edited:
Some of you guys watch too many movies and TV shows. The Red Wedding isn’t real life. “It’s a trap”. Come on now.
No doubt that some of us watch too many TV shows or play too many video games.
But the Red Wedding is one of the worst examples to pull off when you want to argue that real life is not as wicked as fiction.

there

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Good thing that I no longer can drink, since they are taking Russian Standard vodka off the shelfs. There wasn't anything better to mix it with soft drink.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Guys, don’t live in fear of nuclear warfare. I’m pretty sure it won’t come to that (although I know anything is possible). Putin wants to terrorize you and put fear of him into the world. I don’t know what will happen tomorrow but I’m not about to be intimidated and live in fear of someone I’ve never even met before. Stay informed but live your lives as normal.

Rossco EZ

I just calmed the family during dinner, kids started asking all kinds of horrible things. Wife already have cancer so things are dark enough as it is. Doesn’t Putin have a family? I don’t understand how he can be this way. But we can’t do anything anyway, let’s just hope someone there still have a functional mind and refuse to press the button if the order is given.
sorry to hear about your wife :messenger_persevering::messenger_heart:
i know right? just an absolute mind fuck to even think about.
hopefully it’s nothing but threats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom