• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistake

Met a couple dudes from Moscow on Dota2 earlier. They got some abuse and toxic chat from both sides of the team despite openly saying they do not support the war. It's depressing how this situation is enough, without mindless people thinking that common folk all share the views of their dictator government.
I traveled a lot before covid, and learned that most people want to just live their lives. A couple of my Russian friends recently started a family, and they're not pleased

Looks like Russia are learning the same lesson the rest of the world already learnt. Don't invade Russia (ex ussr - obv Ukraine belongs to Ukrainians).

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
What the fuck is up with Russia's military anyway? The entire operation looks laughable from every aspect of it.
"muh nukes" is quite literally the last thing you threaten with and we're only four days in.

What the fuck is up with Russia's military anyway? The entire operation looks laughable from every aspect of it.
"muh nukes" is quite literally the last thing you threaten with and we're only four days in.
My guess is that most of the Russians ordered to participate were not to keen on doing so. I know that I wouldn‘t. This attack is unlike anything that happened before.

Thaedolus

200.gif

When are we stopping with this? Russia still has the advantage in this war (just look at the map showing where are the positions). What Ukraine needs to keep doing is to make this advance as slow as possible so that Russia economy can’t hold the offensive any longer.

Last edited:
3hVg9Gk.jpg

Hearing reports of this with Zelenskys announcement of a volunteer "International Defense of Ukraine" thing.

I'm sure there are more than this. I know the number is small, but I know my late old man(a Silver Star winning flight surgeon in Vietnam) told me he only knew a few in his service time(Green Berets, I believe), but they were very frightening people for the enemy even in small numbers.

Last edited:

Mohonky

I think there might be something to this story from some soldiers who believed they were initially on an exercise. It seems very haphazard. The West provided alot of anti armour munitions, but it seems like they are just tearing through Russian convoys and the whole offense seems so poorly organised; its like it was thrown together at the last second.

A lot of this is like Putin has lost his mind. They would surely have known they would get sanctioned to hell and back but it still seems like they are shocked by both Ukraines defense and how much they are getting beaten down economically.

I really only see a few options; Putin will not back out of this. He just wont, and this isnt looking like a win at the current rate (and even if he did take Ukraine, Russia is going to be fucked economically)......so he either goes full nuclear option which honestly seems more likely to occur the more this goes on and / or someone higher up in the Russian hierarchy makes a play for power, removes Putin and tries to right the ship.

Realistically though, no matter what happens from here, Russia and the Russian people are in a really really bad place because Russia is going to be punished in ways that havent occurred since WWII.

This whole situation is totally bizarre.

Honestly, after this, expect Russia to be divided up and controlled by the EU with US bases in Russia putting China on edge.

Last edited:

chromhound

Gold Member
3hVg9Gk.jpg

Hearing reports of this with Zelenskys announcement of a volunteer "International Defense of Ukraine" thing.

I'm sure there are more than this. I know the number is small, but I know my late old man(a Silver Star winning flight surgeon in Vietnam) told me he only knew a few in his service time(Green Berets, I believe), but they were very frightening people for the enemy even in small numbers.

Mistake

My guess is that most of the Russians ordered to participate were not to keen on doing so. I know that I wouldn‘t. This attack is unlike anything that happened before.
I don’t think Russia wants to steamroll Ukraine, which is why this will be dragged out. Problem is, it might do more harm than good in the long run. For which side, I don’t know

Last edited:
Reactions: Gp1

He will negotiate a withdrawal and independence for the eastern territories he already stole and declare it a win. At least, I hope he will settle for that.

He will negotiate a withdrawal and independence for the eastern territories he already stole and declare it a win. At least, I hope he will settle for that.
I don’t know. Looking at the militar map now and I don’t think he will go just for the rebel provinces.

Last edited:

Fare thee well

Neophyte
It is almost at the point where the whole world is turning on Russia. Turkey, Spain, Japan, and more have thrown their voice into the matter now. Even if Russia physically takes these capitals it will be dark days for all Russians if Putin is not removed.

Last edited:

belmarduk

It is almost at the point where the whole world is turning on Russia. Turkey, Spain, Japan, and more have thrown their voice into the matter now. Even if Russia physically takes these capitals it will be dark days for all Russians if Putin is not removed.

Pretty much. The Russians only have Belarus on their side. The rest of the world is united against them.

dem

Usyk, Lomachenko, and the Klitschko bros all staying in Ukraine.

These guys are just built different.

I’ll never lazily refer to them as Russian boxers again! 😆

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom