• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

E-Cat

Any situation like this would unfortunately be extraordinarily dangerous, a power struggle will likely ensue with a huge stockpile of nukes hanging in the balance. The best situation is if Putin somehow leaves the stage peacefully, but it's hard to imagine the circumstances where that could happen.
Yes, it would be like rolling the dice but it'd almost certainly be better than what we have now. Hopefully, any new leader would be forced to de-escalate as their first order of business after assuming office.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Goit this horrible feeling that Putin is going to nuke Kyiv. He will get away with it too as the US, UK, no one are going to launch nukes against Russia, as Russia will instantly retaliate ,and it will be the end of the world.

People will laugh i'm sure but a couple of days a go talk of nuclear weapons was laughed off as ridiculous.
I dont think Putin will do it.

But if he does it wont be at Kiev. It'll be at some small city or town he doesnt care about. If Kiev is the major thing he wants, no point blowing up with radiation the chunk of land he values the most.

Prison Mike

Banned
Goit this horrible feeling that Putin is going to nuke Kyiv. He will get away with it too as the US, UK, no one are going to launch nukes against Russia, as Russia will instantly retaliate ,and it will be the end of the world.

People will laugh i'm sure but a couple of days a go talk of nuclear weapons was laughed off as ridiculous.
Who knows what a backed up animal will do now I never thought nuclear weapons would be a worry but hey this is our new now.

Leyasu

Banned

was just about to post this (y)
WbBE6Fc.jpg

uIYTEBT.jpg
They should have a look at the highway of death photos from the first gulf war.

Does russia have air superiority to be able to defend this?

Also another dumb question but does the US have anti nuke defenses? And how many nukes compared to Russia?
Not really. I mean; there are missile defense systems that exist. They likely wouldn’t be all that effective against ICBMs. More importantly, if you’re going to nuke the US, you don’t do a warning shot. You attempt to cripple as many important things as you can. So hundreds of missiles. Even if your able to shoot down 75%, which is incredibly optimistic, that 25% you miss will cause unimaginable devastation.

Not to mention the US will know it’s been targeted and respond before your missiles have landed, meaning they will retaliate before you can strike them. This is the principle of MAD.

Last edited:
Better to die free then live a slave, we can’t just let nuclear powers take over countries because we are too afraid to defend. Surely the moment the loon mentioned nukes the UN and USA dusted off their preemptive playbooks.

I wonder what modern nuke defences look like, we must have all sorts of crazy secret tech ready for this scenario right? Especially with all that defence spending.

Then you have to consider if a nuclear war did happen even countries like China and UAE would be effected, they can’t stay neutral forever. People in power would rather keep the status quo than watch it all burn to the ground. Even Putin could retire to his mansion and live happily ever after despite this fuckup.

Last edited by a moderator:

QSD

We should hope for some sort of organised military coup. That way at least, we may get some stability through military strength. Where that leads, I have no idea.

I struggle to see Russian generals carrying out orders to launch nuclear weapons if Putin goes that raving mad.
I'll help you hope, but I have the feeling that top russian military brass might not be much more measured or sane. Putin's probably replaced anyone that disagrees with him too vehemently.
Yes, it would be like rolling the dice but it'd almost certainly be better than what we have now. Hopefully, any new leader would be forced to de-escalate as their first order of business after assuming office.
We can hope that the Russian people make it very clear they want peace

Man it's just crazy how dangerous this situation is if you think about it. Seems bizarre that a few weeks ago the biggest thing was Neil Young vs Joe Rogan

Celcius

°Temp. member
Also another dumb question but does the US have anti nuke defenses? And how many nukes compared to Russia?
According my research, Russia has between 6k and 6.5k nukes, while America has 1k less, but other nato nations have nukes as well. Once you have more then a few then it really doesn’t matter though because that’s the end of the world.

We could shoot down some but not all of them. A lot of their nukes are probably from the Soviet era and may not be maintained, but I’d rather not find out.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Yeah, tomorrow we're gonna find out how much poorer we're going to be.

Gotta be honest with you, had a very dreadful weekend. Medvedev considers reinstating death sentence for the "worst kind of criminals", general-prosecutor made a public statement that any kind of donation or support for the enemy is considered a treason (20 year sentence) and Putin is escalating nuclear threats. It sucks being threatened by your government and feeling like a pariah to the whole world at the same time.

Hopefully, what we're seeing now is the agony of a dying regime. I hope to make it though and see Ukraine, Belarus and Russia free.
The hate is only directed at one man, DO NOT feel the hatred is directed at you in any way! If Ukraine is left alone and this de-escelates I would be very happy to reinstate commerce and help Russia as much as the Ukraine.

Last edited:
I don’t think there is a good enough defense for hypersonic missiles. It will still take some time to have operational laser weapons. China is one of the front runners (I wonder why).

Last edited:
Better to die free then live a slave, we can’t just let nuclear powers take over countries because we are too afraid to defend. Surely the moment the loon mentioned nukes the UN and USA dusted off their preemptive playbooks.

I wonder what modern nuke defences look like, we must have all sorts of crazy secret tech ready for this scenario right? Especially with all that defence spending.

Then you have to consider if a nuclear war did happen even countries like China and UAE would be effected, they can’t stay neutral forever. People in power would rather keep the status quo than watch it all burn to the ground. Even Putin could retire to his mansion and live happily ever after despite this fuckup.
I kinda agree but no death is really worth.

Regarding defense agains nukes, the only chance is to explode then way above the ground. Hypersonic missiles make this very difficult though.

When it comes to the hypothetical nuclear war scenario I don’t think it is worth to take a position. Just let the big dogs explode themselves and try to help the survivors during the aftermath.

If they do have more than 500 nukes ready to lunch from submarines spread around the Globe ready to destroy NATO countries then Why do they cry on their neighbors joining NATO?

Bunch of bullshit.

The new Borei class submarine is just as terrifying as the Typhoon was. Each sub carries 16 missiles with 6-10 warheads per missile. Five subs are in service so that's a possible 480-800 warheads they could deploy.

Each warhead could produce an explosion in the neighborhood of what Hiroshima experienced.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Stuart360

That stupid UN woman almost laughing on the news as she announces UN paid weapons being given to Ukraine. Many couintries today openly announcing they are going to provide weapons to Ukraine. Is everyone stupidly trying to call Putins bluff here?, because i have a horrible feeling he isnt bluffing with this.

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
That stupid UN woman almost laughing on the news as she announces UN paid weapons being given to Ukraine. Many couintries today openly announcing they are going to provide weapons to Ukraine. Is everyone stupidly trying to call Putins bluff here?, because i have a horrible feeling he isnt bluffing with this.
This ain't Crimea, bitch!
I'm not talking to you directly, just saying aloud..

QSD

You are not the only one who feels queasy about this. We're basically arming the Ukrainians to the teeth to fight the Russians (or Putin, specifically) for us. We are dangerously close to entering open war.

Neither is the rest of the world. What would stop Putin from attacking Poland next, by waiving his nuclear dick? What would stop him from attacking any other non-nuclear country for that matter? There is no going back now...The nuclear threat is real, but there is nothing you can do about it, really.

So we just let innocent people get killed? Putin will stay in power for years if we don’t stand up to him and he’s not going to get any saner

Stuart360

So we just let innocent people get killed? Putin will stay in power for years if we don’t stand up to him and he’s not going to get any saner
I'm not saying we shouldnt be supplying weapons, but do we really need a UN spokeperson looking like she has just won the lottery as she is announcing UN paid weapons being supplied to Ukraine.
Couldnt that part be done in secret?. It just wasnt a good look seeing that if you were an unhinged Putin watching that on TV. We can pressure Putin without standing up to him saying 'go on then i dare ya'.

chromhound

Gold Member

I don't think he would nuke Ukraine with his soldiers there.... Right?...

Last edited:

Putin still has bombing and shelling Ukraine into submission left on the table. Round the clock artillery and bombing attacks would shatter morale. I don't care how strong and courageous you are, that shit breaks you.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
with so many nukes, especially on submarines and such, is there 0% chance of one accidentally going off from bumping around too much? What if they accidentally fire on one of their own nuclear subs?

Kilau

If PUtin really wants Ukraine back it would be weird to nuke it first since he would have to live with the mess. Who knows what that maniac's thought process is though.

As for nuking the US or really anyone in the West, EMPs would be far more effective. The estimates are around 100 million dead in the US in one year alone following an EMP and you won't have the fallout.

///PATRIOT

Banned
The new Borei class submarine is just as terrifying as the Typhoon was. Each sub carries 16 missiles with 6-10 warheads per missile. Five subs are in service so that's a possible 480-800 warheads they could deploy.

Each warhead could produce an explosion in the neighborhood of what Hiroshima experienced.

giphy.gif
You assumed I was referring to their submarine capability.
I was calling out their excuse of NATO out of their neighbors for security reasons.

Stuart360

with so many nukes, especially on submarines and such, is there 0% chance of one accidentally going off from bumping around too much? What if they accidentally fire on one of their own nuclear subs?
I dont think it works like that with nukes, they have to be armed. I read before that you could actually blow up a sub packed with nukes and none of them would go of if they werent armed.

Thaedolus

I dont think it works like that with nukes, they have to be armed. I read before that you could actually blow up a sub packed with nukes and none of them would go of if they werent armed.
This is correct. And there are multiple safeguards around arming them. Although destroyed warheads could still cause local contamination with their nuclear fuel, it would be nothing like an actual nuclear explosion’s fallout

QSD

In general, I really like Robert Wright's take that we should look to give Putin an off-ramp that allows him to save face. I get it might feel good to humiliate him but humiliated people are people at their most dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom