• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Russia's disastrous folly has already diminished them in the eyes of the world.. and they are left with very few friends as it is. All of his international relations will come from a place of weakness now. You may even see parts of the Russian Federation split off to form their own countries. The single greatest self own in modern history is damn right.
It would be for the best. The overarching corruption and inertia has a much better chance of being addressed in smaller, independent nations, as we've seen with many of the former Soviet states.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
It is not. Putin will be pushed aside by his generals before he can even blink if he even dares to suggest something like that. He is no Stalin.

I hope so, although I've read that the Russian elite are behind Putin, but I don't know how true that is.

Does your username stand for I Don't Know Fuck Anything?
Russia would sign a fucking death sentence. Doesn't have to end in nuclear war, but they would surely get conventionally raped by whole NATO.

Bit rude.

People are taking this threat seriously. Dmitry Muratov suggested this to the BBC and UK MP Ben Wallace has also not ruled the possibility of Putin using nukes.

Putin has made it known before that he absolutely would use nukes to "defend" Russia.

Do I really think it will happen? Hopefully not, but we can't rule it out.

Alx

It's hard to be certain about anything coming from Putin considering the last few days... Using a nuke on an Ukrainian target wouldn't make any sense though, he would lose any credibility in his "we're here to unite the Rus populations and cultures" discourse (not sure exactly how many people are buying it right now, but that would reach 0 people if he started flattening entire cities full of civilians).
I suppose detonating a nuke where it wouldn't directly harm anybody could work, although it wouldn't exactly mean much especially if it's unprovoked.

Doczu

I hope so, although I've read that the Russian elite are behind Putin, but I don't know how true that is.

Bit rude.

People are taking this threat seriously. Dmitry Muratov suggested this to the BBC and UK MP Ben Wallace has also not ruled the possibility of Putin using nukes.

Putin has made it known before that he absolutely would use nukes to "defend" Russia.

Sorry for that. I'm a bit stressed by this whole situation, work and personal life so i vented a bit.

Fools idol

Banned
does anyone remember the name of the nuclear program that Russia supposedly has which is like a 'killswitch' in the sense they supposedly nuke every nation on earth as a last ditch resort? I remember reading about it some time ago but forgot what it was named.

Wildebeest

It's hard to be certain about anything coming from Putin considering the last few days... Using a nuke on an Ukrainian target wouldn't make any sense though, he would lose any credibility in his "we're here to unite the Rus populations and cultures" discourse (not sure exactly how many people are buying it right now, but that would reach 0 people if he started flattening entire cities full of civilians).
I suppose detonating a nuke where it wouldn't directly harm anybody could work, although it wouldn't exactly mean much especially if it's unprovoked.
Before, they threatened countries which offered help to Ukraine, of which there are now many. I don't want to second guess what plans they might have, but remember they have used small scale "assassination" weapons using nuclear material and chemical weapons in the UK and seemed very pleased with themselves and their cleverness afterwards.

darrylgorn

Bit rude.

It won't happen.

The correct response is to laugh and then send out NATO to kick his ass.

This sanctions vs tanktions approach is immoral and just getting more people killed.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
People of Ukraine are extremely brave. Russians on the other hand are fucking cowards. I'm not talking Russian soldiers. I'm talking general public. It's they who should fight this dictatorship, not Ukrainians.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
It's easy to say when it's not you who has to start civil war.

Of course it is. I confirm. I just said it. It was so easy. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Putin won't be defeated from the outside. Sanctions applied by the West must be brutal. So brutal that Russian people will be pushed to civil war.

There is literally no way Russia "wins" now. The single greatest self own in modern history is unfolding before our eyes.

Putin is either a moron or he is mentally ill. It's the only explanation at this point.

Its more of a case that Putin got too comfortable and self-assured with extorting and surpressing his own people to a point where he figured could bump it up a notch and export his mafia approach across the border.

Last edited:

sobaka770

Banned
People of Ukraine are extremely brave. Russians on the other hand are fucking cowards. I'm not talking Russian soldiers. I'm talking general public. It's they who should fight this dictatorship, not Ukrainians.

1. We do what we can. Since 2008 when 100+K people went out to protest the regime has significantly increased sanctions and arrests. You'd need someone on the top making a major move against the regime in this situation.
2. War in Ukraine is not just a one-sided affair. There are real issues that were not solved properly and it's a failure of diplomacy on many levels both on Russia and the West.

Russia should not prevent a neighbouring country from aspiring to be with EU and nothing justifies needless war.

However Ukrainian government has a lot of blame to bear. Ukraine as a country with 1/3 of Russian-speakers and Russian military bases decided to join Nato and ban Russian culture completely across the whole territory (language, books etc). Cutting water to Crimea is an interesting way of getting the peninsula population on your side.

Let's face it - the country is deeply divided along the Dniepr and Maidan was not just a revolution of Dignity - it was a shift of power from pro-Russian side to anti-Russian side. In current climate with US sponsoring hardcore anti-Russian rhetoric and pumping money the result is what we see.

And nobody cares unfortunately about civilians - the only difference is that Ukraine is located Europe. When it's Syria, Iraq, China, Afghanistan - only NGOs care. The world just held Olympic games in a country where more civilians are being put in concentration camps than the affected population of Ukraine and civil liberties, propaganda and threat to neighbors are much more pronounced than anything Russia can do (apart from maybe nukes that nobody will ever fire).

So it's nice that the world came around one specific issue but it's all shit and all around sad.

Last edited:

Rossco EZ

i’m curious, if putin did decide to use a small nuke on kiev (unlikely i know) would US/NATO intelligence know about this before hand by tracking troops or whatever from satellites? if so would they destroy it whilst being transported?
watching the news yesterday they mentioned US will be watching the russian troops closely etc but i was wondering if they would step in if something like this was about to be used

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
i’m curious, if putin did decide to use a small nuke on kiev (unlikely i know) would US/NATO intelligence know about this before hand by tracking troops or whatever from satellites? if so would they destroy it whilst being transported?
watching the news yesterday they mentioned US will be watching the russian troops closely etc but i was wondering if they would step in if something like this was about to be used
Nukes aren't delivered by hand, despite the comedic opportunities.

ke6HR6w.gif

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right

Russians who speak out against Putin and his cronies, are beaten, imprisoned, murdered, tortured, disappeared. I have the the utmost sympathy for the Russian people, and I don’t blame them for not pitting themselves against armed soldiers and police. And those that do speak up knowing the consequences; god I wish I was as half as brave as them.

People just want to live in peace, but instead have to endure the whims of madmen.

Cyberpunkd

All the countries monitor constantly launch sites of all the other countries possessing nuclear weapons. Everyone will know before the rocket even leaves the silo. As for the time I found this:
It would take a land- based missile about 30 minutes to fly between Russia and the United States; a submarine-based missile could strike in as little as 10 to 15 minutes after launch.
This is probably around 5-10 minutes for the rocket to strike Ukraine.

Cyberpunkd

However Ukrainian government has a lot of blame to bear. Ukraine as a country with 1/3 of Russian-speakers and Russian military bases decided to join Nato and ban Russian culture completely across the whole territory (language, books etc). Cutting water to Crimea is an interesting way of getting the peninsula population on your side.

Let's face it - the country is deeply divided along the Dniepr and Maidan was not just a revolution of Dignity - it was a shift of power from pro-Russian side to anti-Russian side.
Rubbish take as always. My friend Ukraine does not want to play with me anymore, wait, let me INVADE THEM. That will show them what big boy Russia is capable of.

Also regarding ban on Russian culture - I found this from 2018: https://www.france24.com/en/20180920-ukraine-region-ban-russian-culture-sparks-controversy

Some choice quotes:
even as it remained unclear how it would be implemented.
The regional assembly said the moratorium would last until the end of Russia's "occupation" of Ukraine, referring to Moscow's annexation of Crimea and support for separatist regions in eastern Ukraine.
The move has prompted ridicule from Moscow and Western diplomats and even a member of Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko's ruling party.
The terms of the Lviv region's ban are "narrow-minded, discriminatory and #justplaindumb," Canadian Ambassador Roman Waschuk wrote on Twitter.
So it looks to me some politicians decided to be stupid and Russia is making this an official stance of the government?

Regardless, even if that was the case this is not a reason to start a WAR. Do what Ukraine did, petition international organizations to react. Did Russia do it? Nope. On the other hand with such a ethnic mix it is understandable that a nascent country would like to develop its own culture - same think happened in Lithuania, where for many years (and I think this is still the case) the use of Polish language is limited, for example Polish names and street names are written with Lithuanian alphabet. Did Poland invade Lithuania to "protect the rights of Polish people living there'? No, this is always a rubbish take an authoritarian regime would use.

Amiga

Okay? I am kind of confused because everything that you just said does basically nothing to discount anything that I said.

Just in case let me be a little bit more clear in my meaning. Russia cannot "win" anymore in the sense that they come out on the other end of this in a more positive position than when they started. They have dug a hole so fucking deep that literally nothing they do from this point forward is going to get their head above the top of that hole.

Russia has started a needless war against a sovereign Nation, United the entirety of the world against it outside of maybe China and a handful of other inconsequential Nations, and completely tanked the absolute fuck out of its economy in the process.

There is no "winning" this for them anymore. Russia has basically fucked their own asses into the ground. They have not only embarrassed themselves on the international stage by showing how inept their military is, but they have also completely and utterly nuked their own economy along the way.

- the world group against them before the war is the same as after the war.
- Russian economy is not based on foreign currency. the quantity of the commodity they export is irreplaceable. their national products are not premium quality but they are diversified enough for economic isolation. Europe will still buy Russian gas from 3rd parties and will pay more for it for added costs. Ukraine has vital tangible recourses that they will be added to Russian control.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Kharkov has been hit by Grad (hazel) rockets. Multiple casualties, hundreds wounded.

News reports across multiple networks are confirming this.

For those who don't know this is what the launchers look like.

So yeah not exactly the kind of weapon you use anywhere near a civilian target unless you want to flattern the surrounding area, casualties be damned.

Fuck Russia.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

- Russian economy is not based on foreign currency.
But Russian Central Bank needs massive currency right now in order to save the Russian ruble. And considering all the foreign-held assets are being frozen Russia just got a lot less money to do so.

DrAspirino

Banned
Nukes aren't delivered by hand, despite the comedic opportunities.

I wouldn't be so sure about it.
A suitcase nuclear device (also suitcase nuke, suitcase bomb, backpack nuke, mini-nuke, and pocket nuke) is a tactical nuclear weapon that is portable enough that it could use a suitcase as its delivery method.

Both the United States and the Soviet Union developed nuclear weapons small enough to be portable in specially-designed backpacks during the 1950s and 1960s.

So... with Russia (and particularly with Putin) nothing is out of the table. :pie_thinking:

sobaka770

Banned
Pure apologia. Should probably get used to the "we had no choice" narrative being regurgitated here.

Jesus, of course there was a choice.

I was maybe unclear but there is not argument that Russia has no business waging war in Ukraine and the whole thing is a nightmare for Russians as well. Russians don't want a war. And people who wage war are those that risk much less whatever sanctions are implemented.

There were plenty of protests happening despite the bans and arrests. With the level of repression built into the current regime - the police and National Guard will have to rise up to make this happen. We don't have Navalnii being able to organise a riot without it being squashed before it starts.

And even then - even if Putin is gone through military coup - the consequences of those are rarely good in any country where that happens.

I am extremely sad that this is where we arrived in 20 years. So much land, so many resources with such a little population - we could've made a fucking paradise for ourselves.

Doczu

News reports across multiple networks are confirming this.

For those who don't know this is what the launchers look like.

So yeah not exactly the kind of weapon you use anywhere near a civilian target unless you want to flattern the surrounding area, casualties be damned.

Fuck Russia.

I said that Russia was just testing the waters.
They sent kids in older equipment for the first wave and now when they have an understanding what they are against they are going to use their bigger guns.

I just hope that i wasn't wrong and thst Russia really want to subdue Ukraine with as little damage and civilian casualties as possible, otherwise all you high hoping posters are gonna see what they are really capable off when they say "fuck that place in particular"

Last edited:

Thaedolus

The whole war doesn't make sense in the first place.
It would still be a completely stupid thing to do if you’re trying to annex the country by force. Even with all the wars in the 20th and 21st centuries, there’s a pretty good reason they’ve only been used on two days in 1945.

They’re going to shell the shit out of the cities and hope the mounting death toll breaks the Ukrainians.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom