• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyberpunkd

Canada announcing ban on Russian oil imports.

World Hockey Federation kicking Russian and Belarus off any competition until further notice. HOCKEY

Saturday Night Live Snl GIF

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
So basically the whole idea was stupid to begin with.

Idiot GIF
Yep. Which is why everyone is talking about Putin either being physically ill or mentally ill. The move makes literally no sense at all no matter how you look at it.

Putin has spent years and billions of dollars trying to destabilize the West and did a fairly good job. The West was disjointed and hardly unified on really anything. Then out of nowhere in the name of keeping a buffer between it and NATO he has demonstrated that NATO is an essential alliance now. He does the thing that the West was always afraid Russia would do and invades a sovereign nation. He showed the world why NATO is necessary in the first place. Not only that but he has United the West against him. They are working in lockstep with each other basically on this issue and they are working together better right now than they have in probably 20 years. Then the invasion force that he is using is poorly trained, poorly supplied, and poorly led. Just completely destroying the image of strength that everyone had in their head when it came to Russia and its military. An image that Putin himself carefully crafted. And as if all of that wasn't bad enough he has completely and utterly decapitated the Russian economy as a result. Russia is on it's way to being in a worse economic position then when it was still the Soviet Union.

All in the name of some crackpot pie in the sky vision of Russia that only exists in his demented mind. It just doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
All in the name of some crackpot pie in the sky vision of Russia that only exists in his demented mind. It just doesn't make any sense.
It actually makes perfect sense for strongman personalities like Putin. When you demand nothing but outright obedience and punish anything that even smells like pushback, you breed an environment of malicious compliance and will be surrounded by yes men.

There was no one around with the balls to tell him that this move would undermine him, because they’re all dead or in prison.

Such a shame.

The Russian people, who probably wouldn't want this, will suffer a lot from this war.

As to our Ukranian bros, I hope Putin gets fucked and gets the fuck out of there.

isoRhythm

Banned
What might be suprising is that many of these neo nazis are gay. About half of them are closet cases. There are event dating sites for skinheads too, a vast majority of them are gay. I was always surprised in bathhouses in London and Berlin how many guys had neo nazi tattoos or see skinheads kissing.
Yes, gay people, just like any other people can be racist, I don't see your argument?

I'm not saying it doesn't. I'm saying it doesn't matter. It has no bearing on the situation we are in right now. Its irrelevant.

It most certainly is relevant in understanding how the situation has reached this point. If youre actually trying to honestly have a rational understanding of the situation then sticking your head in the sand and ignoring information isn't the way to do it. That just leaves you with a lack of information where you're stuck filling in the gaps with assumptions or some other method (usually based on emotions) to explain what's going on.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

for people to have a view its obviously in Russian but Google Translate can help a bit

interesting and chilling read, but one point stands out it mentions very little of America, but a whole lot of Europe, it seems like Russia has switched focus to the EU is its main enemy and target, that or he just really hates Anglo Saxon's... but that might be a lost in translation.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

It most certainly is relevant in understanding how the situation has reached this point. If youre actually trying to honestly have a rational understanding of the situation then sticking your head in the sand and ignoring information isn't the way to do it. That just leaves you with a lack of information where you're stuck filling in the gaps with assumptions or some other method (usually based on emotions) to explain what's going on.
What does it have to do with how the situation reached this point?

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
It hasn't really made the news, but the diplomatic offices of both US in Russia and Russia in US are at below skeleton crew levels because of spats over visas and other stuff.

belmarduk

Chechens are muslims. Eating pork is a sin for them. So I guess that guy is greasing bullets with pig fat?

Ordinarily, that would be a terrible thing to do but I’m glad this will likely deter more Chechen terrorists from joining the ones who have already been defeated and humiliated while trying to invade Ukraine.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Well if they want my support they should not be having a nazi ideology, especially supported/endorsed by the government. Also, the lard bullet thing was used by colonial forces against my people so it has a symbolic meaning to me.
The government is not endorsing Nazi ideology, get your brain out of Russian propaganda gutter. Also, people are dying, ammo covered in lard should be the least of your problems. Kadyrov is a walking human excrement, his mercenaries can go and die in a ditch somewhere, covered by mountain of lard.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Well if they want my support they should not be having a nazi ideology, especially supported/endorsed by the government. Also, the lard bullet thing was used by colonial forces against my people so it has a symbolic meaning to me.
They don't support or endorse it though. Once again the president of Ukraine is JEWISH.

Jesus fucking Christ.

Nobody_Important

Putin has used the fact that the Ukraine national guard apparently has a neonazi battalion in its ranks as impetus to invade. It is an integral part of the "story" currently unfolding there. You need to pay more attention man.
Putin also says the Ukrainian government is run by drug addicts and neo-nazis despite the fact that people like Zelensky are Jewish.

I don't give a damn what Putin's current choice of propaganda is. No sane person does.

Last edited:

akimbo009

Gold Member
I started reading a bit more into the Ukrainian military and this rubbed me the wrong way.

How can a modern nation (mind you a nation, not some random racists in the country) have Nazis??? An entire military branch filled with Nazis. The equivalent of this would be if the US military had a KKK branch. wtf???

And then saw this as well... Tweeted by the National Guard

If a country wants to win the hearts, minds, and support of those abroad it really should not be doing this.

There was some rumors that some folks in the US military was doing it during Iraq/Afghanistan wars too... but shrug. There's shit people everywhere unfortunately.

Cyberpunkd

Heck, even countries in my continent (South America) are aligning and the two most important ones (Brazil and Argentina) are allies to the east. That says a lot.
Yes, Brazil who has Bolsonaro and Argentina who declared bankruptcy multiple times in the last 20 years.
If it were me I would be doing the opposite, since both countries are not know for being super smart.

Gp1

I won't go into politics anymore than this.

Make no mistake, Brazil clearly condemned the invasion at the U.N hours ago and voted with the US resolution against the Russians and the vice president gave some harsh words against the invasion. At the same time the president (which is a buffoon that clearly isn't well versed with words) is trying to keep it "neutral" because, you guys like it or not, Russia control almost 70% of the entire worlds production of fertilizer in a critical phase of the crops after the EU (yes) passed some new resolution requiring some sort of "high grade" clean fertilizer in 2016 which basically created a monopoly for the Russians.
Guess what commodity exploded after the invasion more than oil and gas? Wheat and corn.

I doubt if Germany wasn't part of EU/NATO and was dependable of Russian oil much as they are, they would clearly condemn and sanction Russia they way they did now. (But still didn't cut the oil imports.)

That's why I believe that every other breadbasket of the world, or any other non-aligned 3rd world country (India, Argentina, Brazil, etc) wont rush to impose sanctions at Russia. But at the same time I do believe that the Brazilian president should at least do a phone call with Zelensky the way that Modi did.

Last edited:

Alebrije

I won't go into politics anymore than this.

Make no mistake, Brazil clearly condemned the invasion at the U.N hours ago and voted with the US resolution against the Russians and the vice president gave some harsh words against the invasion. At the same time the president (which is a buffoon that clearly isn't well versed with words) is trying to keep it "neutral" because, you guys like it or not, Russia control almost 70% of the entire worlds production of fertilizer in a critical phase of the crops after the EU (yes) passed some new resolution requiring some sort of "high grade" clean fertilizer in 2016.
Guess what commodity exploded after the invasion, more than oil and gas? Wheat and corn.

I doubt if Germany wasn't part of EU/NATO and was dependable of Russian oil much as they are, they would clearly condemn and sanction Russia they way they did now. (But still didn't cut the oil imports.)

That's why I believe that every other breadbasket of the world, or any other non-aligned 3rd world country (India, Argentina, Brazil, etc) wont rush to impose sanctions at Russia. But at the same time I do believe that the Brazilian president should at least do a phone call with Zelensky the way that Modi did.
Fertilizers prices where high and avialability scarce before this war, They will reach historical levels next weeks. But the worse is that no matter if you have the money , there wont be fertilizer to buy..

Even US imported 8-10 % of potash from Rusia , now guess Canadá will be the only supplier...US farners will have an impact but India,Argentina,Brazil and México are on serious trouble.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gp1

Vestal

Comes from Ukranian official, so take with some grains of salt given the propaganda fight.. However if this is true.... FUCK PUTIN, an absolutely abhorrent escalation.

Last edited:

Braag

Comes from Ukranian official, so take with some grains of salt given the propaganda fight.. However if this is true.... FUCK PUTIN, an absolutely abhorrent escalation.

Very plausible considering they have used these bombs in the past as well, during the war in Syria.

Rossco EZ

Putin also says the Ukrainian government is run by drug addicts and neo-nazis despite the fact that people like Zelensky are Jewish.

I don't give a damn what Putin's current choice of propaganda is. No sane person does.
you are so high rate in some of your replies, people are just telling you that the azov battalion, part of the national guard are nazis. putin used the words or reason for him going to those certain regions because of nazis, i don’t think anyone is saying it’s a good excuse to invade or whatever but they exist. look them up. if he’s said that the country is ran by nazis then obviously it’s propaganda bull.. but azov battalion exists.

“Azov Special Operations Detachment, often known as Azov Detachment, Azov Regiment, or Azov Battalion, is a right-wing extremist and neo-Nazi unit of the National Guard of Ukraine, based in Mariupol, in the Azov Sea coastal region. It saw its first combat experience recapturing Mariupol from pro-Russian separatists forces in June 2014. Azov initially formed as a volunteer militia on 5 May 2014 during the Odessa clashes. On 12 November 2014, Azov was incorporated into the National Guard of Ukraine, and since then all members are contract soldiers serving in the National Guard of Ukraine.”

i believe the logo they use is a slightly different version of the 2nd SS panzer division das reich.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
There was some rumors that some folks in the US military was doing it during Iraq/Afghanistan wars too... but shrug. There's shit people everywhere unfortunately.
That concept surfaced occasionally in the early "war on terror" days, if I remember correctly. President Trump also brought it back out into the spotlight more recently when he talked about the (probably not accurate) stories of Pershing.

Nobody_Important

you are so high rate in some of your replies, people are just telling you that the azov battalion, part of the national guard are nazis. putin used the words or reason for him going to those certain regions because of nazis, i don’t think anyone is saying it’s a good excuse to invade or whatever but they exist. look them up. if he’s said that the country is ran by nazis then obviously it’s propaganda bull.. but azov battalion exists.

“Azov Special Operations Detachment, often known as Azov Detachment, Azov Regiment, or Azov Battalion, is a right-wing extremist and neo-Nazi unit of the National Guard of Ukraine, based in Mariupol, in the Azov Sea coastal region. It saw its first combat experience recapturing Mariupol from pro-Russian separatists forces in June 2014. Azov initially formed as a volunteer militia on 5 May 2014 during the Odessa clashes. On 12 November 2014, Azov was incorporated into the National Guard of Ukraine, and since then all members are contract soldiers serving in the National Guard of Ukraine.”
I'm aware of all of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom