• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vestal

So again why are you posting something that there is zero evidence for?

Btw since you probably missed my edit... From the hill article you posted.

"U.S. officials have said vetting required under the so-called Leahy Law already prevents the United States from aiding Azov. The Leahy Law bans U.S. aid from going to groups when the “secretary of State has credible information that such unit has committed a gross violation of human rights.”

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion

"U.S. officials have said vetting required under the so-called Leahy Law already prevents the United States from aiding Azov. The Leahy Law bans U.S. aid from going to groups when the “secretary of State has credible information that such unit has committed a gross violation of human rights.”
Just don't engage. Don't feed the troll. Just ignore and move on. It's not like they will magically see sense out of nowhere. Just save your time. It's not worth it.

Last edited:

I've also posted the actual bill from the US Government website where they talk about limiting the funding. Limiting, not stopping. This raises other questions.

And once again, I put the question, as because the US is very well known for its funding of separatist movements. I started this discussion as a way to show the the Asov Battalion is actually a bunch of disgusting human beings, recognised as military, and overlooked by many people because they're fight Bad Guy Russia. I've shown the UN Assembly voting, that also raises some questions. They're not valid? Just because you guys "believe" it can't be true? Because the president is Jewish? Give me a break.

I don't intend to derail this topic any further. I don't want this to become a whatabouttism discussion.

Just don't engage. Don't feed the troll. Just ignore and move on. It's not worth it.
If I'm a troll, what are you?

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
I've also posted the actual bill from the US Government website where they talk about limiting the funding. Limiting, not stopping. This raises other questions.

And once again, I put the question, as because the US is very well known for its funding of separatist movements. I started this discussion as a way to show the the Asov Battalion is actually a bunch of disgusting human beings, recognised as military, and overlooked by many people because they're fight Bad Guy Russia. I've shown the UN Assembly voting, that also raises some questions. They're not valid? Just because you guys "believe" it can't be true? Because the president is Jewish? Give me a break.

I don't intend to derail this topic any further. I don't want this to become a whatabouttism discussion.

I already warned you before not to change the subject and moving the goalpost of this thread

This thread is about russia invasion

But your mind seems to wander somewhere else here and doesnt match the topic at hand

This is not the best time to argue about something to fuels your agenda

Last edited:
Feels that way at this point given their losses so far.

They have been getting fucking hammered every step of the way.

Things will drastically change over the next few days. Kyiv will be surrounded and these early victories will soon be forgotten as the sheer weight of the Russian forces make themselves felt. It won't be pretty, I fear.

Last edited:
I already warned you before not to change the subject and moving the goalpost of this thread

This thread is about russia invasion

But your mind seems to wander somewhere else here and doesnt match the topic at hand
Are you a mod or something? If I came out of nowhere with this conversation, maybe you had a point, but I actually came to support the Twitter post someone posted with more information on how the Asov Battalion shouldn't be trusted.

But hey, sorry if I hurt your feelings. Just keep the thread going and ignore it.

EDIT: Should my agenda be doing whatever you guys are doing because if I don't I'm wrong? Man, let it go. I don't want to fight anyone here, it's not worth it.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Are you a mod or something? If I came out of nowhere with this conversation, maybe you had a point, but I actually came to support the Twitter post someone posted with more information on how the Asov Battalion shouldn't be trusted.

But hey, sorry if I hurt your feelings. Just keep the thread going and ignore it.
Your post are meaningless to me and doesnt hold any positive value at at all to this topic

Hope you understand that

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Things will drastically change over the next few days. Kyiv will be surrounded and these early victories will soon be forgotten as the sheer weight of the Russian forces make themselves felt. It won't be pretty, I fear.
Yeah none of what has happened will be forgotten anytime soon. Ukraine has put up an amazing defense and caused irreparable damage to Russia's "strong" image. Russia has made Ukraine and it's people into a legend that will be talked about and celebrated for years to come. That is just a fact.

Putin also transformed Zelenskyy into a god damn folk hero.

Last edited:

NoviDon

Its crazy how many of these kids Putin is making cross the border unprepared, lying to them that its some sort of military exercise to bring peace, unaware their about to be surrounded behind enemy lines in a full scale war with no air support and no access to supplies and fuel. Also based on the reactions of the parent's of POWs that have called home, they seem unaware that there is even a war going on? TF?? Russian Sniper POW Calls Home

Last edited:

Vestal

Yeah none of what has happened will be forgotten anytime soon. Ukraine has put up an amazing defense and caused irreparable damage to Russia's "strong" image. Russia has made Ukraine and it's people into a legend that will be talked about and celebrated for years to come. That is just a fact.

To me its the people of Ukraine. The whole ordeal in 2013/14 battle hardened them for the same cause they fight for now. Democracy in Ukraine.

Nobody_Important

To me its the people of Ukraine. The whole ordeal in 2013/14 battle hardened them for the same cause they fight for now. Democracy in Ukraine.
It absolutely did. Putin thought this was another easy conquest where he could come in and throw a puppet into place. He never dreamed the whole country would rather die than accept his rule.

He has destroyed Russia for nothing.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Coming up with some real big-brain solutions here...

isthisreallife.gif

Disney is the first major Hollywood studio to take a hard stance against Russia in the wake of its invasion of Ukraine. Warner Bros. followed suit later Monday, saying it was pausing the release of “The Batman” in the country “in light of the humanitarian crisis in Ukraine.”

Im glad that the whole world is turning against Russia with all these sanctions BUT....what, the best you can do is stop Disney movies playing....fucking really? Where is NATO, already these are war crimes piling up yet everyone is "supporting" from their armchairs. Not saying you can police wars of two countries but this wasnt some government buildup, Putin just woke up one day and said fuck it, we are taking this shit back.

Its an escalation under the guise of an exercise(Seen that one a few times). However without details on the number of troops its hard to get a clear picture.

There is also the distinct possibility that they are worried about domestic control. With ~70% of their armed forces actively involved with the Ukrainian invasion, domestic uprisings and the border with NATO countries are exposed.

Just as an interesting historical aside, in 1979 the Russians postulated a secret wargame called Seven Days to the Rhine whereby the Warsaw pact would conduct armored and motorized conflict in Europe and reach the Rhine River in 7 days. Granted, they allowed for tactical nuclear weapons, but in retrospect, what a joke. They would have gotten chewed up in the Fulda Gap by NATO and the Americans.

43 years later and they can't even make it a fraction of the distance into the Ukraine in the same timeframe. How the mighty have fallen.

Last edited:

chromhound

Gold Member
You thought Russia's ground game was garbage? it gets even worse with the air defense lol. Ukrainian drones are now within russian territory blowing up trains sending fuel to the front lines.

laughing-wtf.gif

Vestal

There is also the distinct possibility that they are worried about domestic control. With ~70% of their armed forces actively involved with the Ukrainian invasion, domestic uprisings and the border with NATO countries are exposed.
Yup definetly a possibility and its implications on how long Putin can maintain the campaign if civil unrest escalates within Russia. Probably one of the few path ways we have towards a "good" outcome for the future. But still with a heavy cost of human life.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I wonder how all these moves that affect the everyday Russian citizen will play out. Will the people turn on Putin in a significant way or will it unify them in an “us vs them” way.

It could go either way. But Russia's Propaganda is pretty strong within its own country. Still, I think China's Propaganda is stronger and with that, if this does end in some capacity, we will eventually have to deal with them, by We, I mean the entire West and even parts of Asia.

I don't not believe we are out of the woods, not for a long time.

NoviDon

I wonder how all these moves that affect the everyday Russian citizen will play out. Will the people turn on Putin in a significant way or will it unify them in an “us vs them” way.
I would expect a very polarising divide with extremist who hate the west and worship putin on one end and every sane person that wants to be free of the bullshit on the opposing position. But over time more people will see the light through the suffering and isolation from the world hopefully.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned

Maybe Russia was too overrated? Even the Afghans did it.

That’s only due to the sanctions. Disney has no problem thanking the province in China with a million people in concentration camps for their help making Mulan.
The West collectively needs to put an end to financing and supporting totalitarian regimes. We need policies that effectively stop our companies investing in these shithole countries. At the same time, we need an international free trade zone that spans the whole sphere of western civilization: Japan, Korea, New Zealand, Australia etc. included. Also, the West needs to do more to gain the trust and support of other regions like on the African continent. Russia and China need to be bled dry. Everyone who doesn't firmly stand with Western values is considered an enemy. Enough of turning a blind eye for a quick buck.

Kenpachii

Are citizens even allowed to keep such equipment for themselves?

I imagine even if this thing is half broken, it would still cost way more than this man would be able to earn in his whole life.

If you are a farmer, u better of collecting those tanks on your farm in some shed, because if the war does end and russia stops. U can make probably a good 50-100k for each of them out of it to sell it to west collectors as it also has seen action. Basically u become a millionaire in that country over night.

Fess

Im glad that the whole world is turning against Russia with all these sanctions BUT....what, the best you can do is stop Disney movies playing....fucking really? Where is NATO, already these are war crimes piling up yet everyone is "supporting" from their armchairs. Not saying you can police wars of two countries but this wasnt some government buildup, Putin just woke up one day and said fuck it, we are taking this shit back.
Might get the people within Russia to wake up and turn against Putin when the walls are closing in and 140 million people realize the life they had has been destroyed by their leader. I’m just waiting for Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Steam to block Russia from gaming platforms too, Apple and Google to block Russia from app stores.

NoviDon

Ukraine is offering 5 million rubles (nearly $50,000 per soldier), and amnesty in exchange for laying down their weapons and choosing not to fight. Other countries are offering to take in russian soldiers that surrender voluntarily. You can basically take 50k and flee to a better and freerer country and start a better life than you had before...you would be crazy not to take that. I'm debating wheter I want to become a russian citizen, cross the border into Ukraine, and immediately drop my weapons for a free lottery.

Might get the people within Russia to wake up and turn against Putin when the walls are closing in and 140 million people realize the life they had has been destroyed by their leader.

Again, fine to wish this, but remember that this is not the goal. I'm seeing this on Western media and here and it's very dangerous.

We're not aiming for regime change in Russia with these sanctions, but instead to turn-off the invasion of the Ukraine and revert to a Minsk Protocol like state that includes the existence of separatist states. And we'll be lucky if we get that given how things are looking at the moment.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Ukraine is offering 5 million rubles (nearly $50,000 per soldier), and amnesty in exchange for laying down their weapons and choosing not to fight. Other countries are offering to take in russian soldiers that surrender voluntarily. You can basically take 50k and flee to a better and freerer country and start a better life than you had before...you would be crazy not to take that. I'm debating wheter I want to become a russian citizen, cross the border into Ukraine, and immediately drop my weapons for a free lottery.
It sounds easy on paper until you realize that these soldiers families and firends are still in Russia. So it's not just "Take the money and go live happily ever after."

Anyone who took this offer would basically be signing the death warrant of their families and loved ones.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.

Are you Fortified Concept? You're posting the same kind of dumb shit he did.

Jsisto

Man, I really feel so sorry for the average Russian people that didn’t ask or want any of this. All these sanctions/bans have got to be upending life in ways we can’t even imagine.

Sakura

You can be sure that China is taking a note of all the sanctions that are imposed on Russia and carefully measuring the impact in the event the same sanctions would be imposed on their country. Basically Russia is beta testing this for China.
I can't imagine China facing the same level of sanctions. It's easy for countries like the US and UK to sanction the shit out of Russia, because it doesn't really affect their economies. China on the other hand exports like 2 trillion dollars of goods each year. The US alone imports some half a trillion dollars. They aren't going to pull the plug on China if China attacks a neighbouring country that the west doesn't have an alliance with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom