• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fess

Again, fine to wish this, but remember that this is not the goal. I'm seeing this on Western media and here and it's very dangerous.

We're not aiming for regime change in Russia with these sanctions, but instead to turn-off the invasion of the Ukraine and revert to a Minsk Protocol like state that includes the existence of separatist states. And we'll be lucky if we get that given how things are looking at the moment.
I assume he don’t want to be hated by his own people, I think the only way this war will end is if the cost to keep it going is too high and destroying your own country and the lives of your own people might be that.
I doubt that anything happening on the actual war field is going to get Putin to retreat, he’ll just keep on sending in new troops, new kids, to their death, slowly grind away the defence.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Yeah, just gonna stop even posting on this thread and hope for a brighter future for Ukrainian people. You guys are right, the US doesn't engage in power plays and never did anything wrong.

See you.
K bye.

Another night win, urban warfare 4 life ..
Yeah the way that they are holding out is just kind of crazy given the circumstances. I keep waiting for it all to give in, but they just don't seem to be willing to let that happen without a hell of a fucking fight.

These people are made of fucking steel.

Last edited:

sinnergy

K bye.

Yeah the way that they are holding out is just kind of crazy given the circumstances. I keep waiting for it all to give in, but they just don't seem to be willing to let that happen without a hell of a fucking fight.

These people are made of fucking steel.
Hopefully all the western material is right on queue so they can give them more hell ! I saw they used banned weapons , time for Putin to answer for his war crimes .

Fare thee well

Neophyte

I can't imagine China facing the same level of sanctions. It's easy for countries like the US and UK to sanction the shit out of Russia, because it doesn't really affect their economies. China on the other hand exports like 2 trillion dollars of goods each year. The US alone imports some half a trillion dollars. They aren't going to pull the plug on China if China attacks a neighbouring country that the west doesn't have an alliance with.
This is true. If you are into global longterm investing you know Russia makes a very small percentage of the total world economy whilst China rises considerably every year. The Western nations still have an absurdly large block for now, but they would be much more economically intertwined with China. But hopefully that economic connection would allow cooler heads to prevail. Though it seems like everyone is just waiting for the moment they can get away with doing the wrong thing rather than acting out of any true virtue.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Yeah, just gonna stop even posting on this thread and hope for a brighter future for Ukrainian people. You guys are right, the US doesn't engage in power plays and never did anything wrong.

See you.
I dont like your subtle jab here

Maybe focus on ukraine issue and dont drag others country into this conversation?

Nobody needs to hear your agenda ( this is not the time)

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

See you.
That is an exaggeration of the conversation. Multiple people have acknowledged the presence of a Neo-Nazi element that is associated with a small percentage of one battalion of the Ukrainian National Guard. They just don't think your sources establish to a strong degree of certainty that they are actually a significant element anymore in the Ukrainian government or that it is anything more than a flimsy pretense for invasion. Multiple people have also acknowledged that the USA are huge hypocrites when they say "Hey everyone, unilaterally invading and occupying a sovereign nation under false pretenses is bad, mmkay" due to them being guilty of the very same thing multiple times throughout history. However, they realize that this doesn't justify Russia's current actions or make it okay, which I'm pretty sure you also agree with. Your disagreements are a matter of extent, less of substance.

akimbo009

Gold Member
I dont like your subtle jab here

Maybe focus on ukraine issue and dont drag others country into this conversation?

Nobody needs to hear your agenda ( this is not the time)
He's not wrong, RoyalLaFlame RoyalLaFlame . No reason to bring up other countries unless you're creating a distracting narrative.

We can get back to US bashing after this incursion by Russia - it's a past time for many, hold your tits for now though.

betrayal

Banned
I find it disgusting how many here are cheering for videos of air strikes or other killings, as if only monsters and malicious people are dying there.

The vast majority of soldiers on the ground are normal people who are simply following orders and often lack a lot of context as to why they are doing what they are doing in the first place.

Some here really seem to believe that this is a straight fight of good versus evil. Yet most soldiers, regardless of side, are just victims of decades of failed policies and arrogant and narcissistic rulers and politicians.

I also don't like the very exaggerated one-sided presentation of this war. The OSCE reports are quite clear on this and also state that most of the civilian casualties in the Donbass region are caused by the Ukrainian army and were tolerated for years by the Ukrainian leadership.

Of course, this is absolutely no justification for this war and I hope that Putin will be held accountable for this in whatever shape or form. Nevertheless, and this must be said, NATO and the EU are partly to blame for this situation, which has been built up over decades. It is 2022 now and we still live in a world that is divided between good and evil in the heads of most people. It is the West vs. Russia & China and some others. Our actions now are already preparing the war of the future. And at the end everyone will wonder again how it could come to this.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

I find it disgusting how many here are cheering for videos of air strikes or other killings, as if only monsters and malicious people are dying there.

The vast majority of soldiers on the ground are normal people who are simply following orders and often lack a lot of context as to why they are doing what they are doing in the first place.

Some here really seem to believe that this is a straight fight of good versus evil. Yet most soldiers, regardless of side, are just victims of decades of failed policies and arrogant and narcissistic rulers and politicians.

I also don't like the very exaggerated one-sided presentation of this war. The OSCE reports are quite clear on this and also state that most of the civilian casualties in the donbass are caused by the Ukrainian army and what was tolerated for years by the Ukrainian leadership.

Of course, this is absolutely no justification for this war and I hope that Putin will be held accountable for this in whatever shape or form. Nevertheless, and this must be said, NATO and the EU are partly to blame for this situation, which has been built up over decades. It is 2022 now and we still live in a world that is divided between good and evil in the heads of most people. It is the West vs. Russia & China and some others. Our actions now are already preparing the war of the future. And at the end everyone will wonder again how it could come to this.

Won’t somebody think of the invading aggressors?

season 8 GIF

And the whole NATO narrative is absolute bullshit.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Of course, this is absolutely no justification for this war and I hope that Putin will be held accountable for this in whatever shape or form. Nevertheless, and this must be said, NATO and the EU are partly to blame for this situation, which has been built up over decades.
The good, old “I’m of course against war BUT…” 🤣

No, the West is not to blame for this, it’s Russia that didn’t learn anything for 30 years and is still bullying other countries like the USSR did. But Russia is not an economic power it was during the Soviet era, and they are in the process of discovering that.

Random Russians will suffer, maybe they learn something as well. Maybe lessons will be applied to whatever comes after Putin.

Last edited:

betrayal

Banned

No, the West is not to blame for this, it’s Russia that didn’t learn anything for 30 years and is still bullying other countries like the USSR did. But Russia is not an economic power it was during the Soviet era, and they are in the process of discovering that.

Random Russians will suffer, maybe they learn something as well. Maybe lessons will be applied to whatever comes after Putin.

I think "I’m of course against war BUT..." is better than the good old "good versus evil" and cheering when people on the "wrong" side die.

With people like you, it doesn't matter how many times you write that you condemn this war and that Putin has made a big mistake that can't be justified with anything. You always rattle off your old bullshit and don't even realize that we agree on the core issue (Putin started this war and must be held accountable).

NoviDon

now that ukraine's air force got all of the fighter jets out of poland shouldn't one of their big goals be to take out the bridge connecting russia to crimea? seeing that russia is able to send troops, tanks, fuel etc. thru there quickly taking out that direct highway straight to the front should slow down considerably any help those troops get and should help them push back and regain control of the cities to the south.

nocsi

I think "I’m of course against war BUT..." is better than the good old "good versus evil" and cheering when people on the "wrong" side die.

With people like you, it doesn't matter how many times you write that you condemn this war and that Putin has made a big mistake that can't be justified with anything. You always rattle off your old bullshit and don't even realize that we agree on the core issue (Putin started this war and must be held accountable).
Gotta have that emotional person during wartime. But imagine falling for the condensation that a single person is behind what is going on.

Alx

Yeah it’s hard to blame countries allying as a protection against Russia when Russia is proving right now they needed to do it. « Stop your military alliance pretending I’m a threat ! » (invades countries that aren’t protected by the alliance)
Putin is making a point against himself there, his position made sense (at least apparently) as long as he could pretend he would be the target in a conflict with other countries, but now it can’t be more obvious that he’s the aggressor.
Thing is, NATO and all this war stuff would have become irrelevant if Russia had followed the trend, maybe built its own economic alliance to counter EU and US. Could even have hoped getting Ukraine onboard.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Yeah it’s hard to blame countries allying as a protection against Russia when Russia is proving right now they needed to do it. « Stop your military alliance pretending I’m a threat ! » (invades countries that aren’t protected by the alliance)
Putin is making a point against himself there, his position made sense (at least apparently) as long as he could pretend he would be the target in a conflict with other countries, but now it can’t be more obvious that he’s the aggressor.
Thing is, OTAN and all this war stuff would have become irrelevant if Russia had followed the trend, maybe built his own economic alliance to counter EU and US. Could even have hoped getting Ukraine onboard.
Yup, instead he has chosen the Middle Ages ..

Last edited:

Nico_D

My absolute disgust with the EU grows every single day of this conflict. Their gross cozying up to Russia for the past decade, becoming more and more reliant on Russian gas supplies is one of the main reasons this war is happening. And now the likes of Germany are blocking harder sanctions because they worry it will hurt their economy.

Well no. The reason this is happening because some nostalgic imperialistic nationalistic decided to invade an independant country.

Buying gas from Russia gave them money which is used now for the war but you can't really not do commerce because "some day in the future" that country may attack another country. Paranoia is not the way.

Doing business is - except being beneficial economically - a way to show a country they are trusted and a worthy partner which would in normal circumstances work against this kind of action.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
He's not wrong, RoyalLaFlame RoyalLaFlame . No reason to bring up other countries unless you're creating a distracting narrative.

We can get back to US bashing after this incursion by Russia - it's a past time for many, hold your tits for now though.
This. Ty.

And please do stop the US as well when we decide to go bomb the next innocent town/province/country. We're stuck here, like Russians, having atrocities committed in our names daily. No average person wants war and we all just want to work together and get back to our lives. It is our leaders who are absolutely living in another world. Sure, I don't think millitaries will ever go anywhere, but they should be for strict defense only. I'm sorry the Russian people have to suffer with these sanctions. My only hope is that they act as a short term deterrent and we can return to being a more open world again as soon as possible

Maybe some would be surprised to find an American with so much love of Russian culture and heritage. As we speak I look at two cherished recreations of Grigoriy Myasoyedov and Andrei Nickolaevich Schilder paintings on my wall. Sergei Rachmaninoff is an idol and cause of my dedication to working to master the piano every day. And yet Rachmaninoff was also torn apart from his own country for the very thing happening now.

Sorry for the rant, but I feel so passionately that we are made to fight each other for a few petty men. We all deserve better than this.

Last edited:

betrayal

Banned
and the current outcome is that we have a stronger justified NATO and an even more united Europe

Yes, that's good, too. I am not against NATO, but clearly in favor of it. But that's not my point at all. I'm just saying that other nations that do not belong to NATO should sometimes be treated with a little more sensitivity. Missile defense systems, military bases, etc. on the borders of such countries is not always the most diplomatic way of communication. I don't think countries like the U.S. would be happy if someone would set up something like that on their borders in Canada and Mexico.

Gotta have that emotional person during wartime. But imagine falling for the condensation that a single person is behind what is going on.

Who thinks that? What is this pointless interpretation of things that I have never said or thought?

Of course, Putin alone is not the problem. But he is the president and the highest representative of Russia and therefore the responsible and leading person for this terrible situation. It is him that you must start with when it comes to punishing those responsible for this unnecessary war. Of course, that doesn't mean it ends there.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Yes, that's good, too. I am not against NATO, but clearly in favor of it. But that's not my point at all. I'm just saying that other nations that do not belong to NATO should sometimes be treated with a little more sensitivity. Missile defense systems, military bases, etc. on the borders of such countries is not always the most diplomatic way of communication. I don't think countries like the U.S. would be happy if someone would set up something like that on their borders in Canada and Mexico.
Is this a spin on "won't someone think of the poor invaders"?

Look, Russia has fuckton of weapons + nukes. That radar at your border won't do jack shit except hurt your pride. That radar and military base is there to protect countries from rogue states like Russia, not to attack Russia, since that can be done with a button while holed inside a bunker under Mount Rushmore.

Cyberpunkd

I assume he don’t want to be hated by his own people
He doesn't care - he impoverished his own country to get more money for him and his cronies over the last 20 years.

Russian people had a chance to change the course under Yeltsin, but he was seen as weak. So they decided to drink the power cool aid and screwed themselves once again.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Instead of war, they could have build their empire in the piece of land they had .. it’s a world in which anyone can have a good life if they choose to …

betrayal

Banned
Is this a spin on "won't someone think of the poor invaders"?

Look, Russia has fuckton of weapons + nukes. That radar at your border won't do jack shit except hurt your pride. That radar and military base is there to protect countries from rogue states like Russia, not to attack Russia, since that can be done with a button while holed inside a bunker under Mount Rushmore.

I have a real problem taking you seriously. Maybe start reading AND understanding what i have said.

Of course, Russia must be held accountable, without any sympathy. But that does not change the fact that in this war, in addition to civilians, many soldiers are dying who never wanted this war.

You can be sure that most of the Ukrainian and Russian soldiers who are pointlessly dying there would never have a problem with each other in real life. They are victims of a misguided policy and narcissistic politicians.

I am well aware that Ukraine has to kill many Russians to win this war and that this is one of the better outcomes of the war. But that doesn't mean I have to cheer when Russian soldiers, who have no points of intersection with the people who started this war, die.

This also has nothing to do with Russia at all, but applies to all wars without exception, in which people die who are not on the wrong side because they want to, but because they have to.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
He doesn't care - he impoverished his own country to get more money for him and his cronies over the last 20 years.

Russian people had a chance to change the course under Yeltsin, but he was seen as weak. So they decided to drink the power cool aid and screwed themselves once again.

But now thanks to propaganda they think they rich and strong! Russian man wins.

dotnotbot

Instead of war, they could have build their empire in the piece of land they had .. it’s a world in which anyone can have a good life if they choose to …

Russia with its natural resources should be richest country in the world. But maybe we should be thankful it isn't cause with this kind of mentality and idiots ruling them for ages they would massacre everyone else.

Wildebeest

I can't imagine China facing the same level of sanctions. It's easy for countries like the US and UK to sanction the shit out of Russia, because it doesn't really affect their economies. China on the other hand exports like 2 trillion dollars of goods each year. The US alone imports some half a trillion dollars. They aren't going to pull the plug on China if China attacks a neighbouring country that the west doesn't have an alliance with.
It is called Londongrad for a reason. The huge amount of Russian money flowing through the city. Petrol prices at the pump here are rising through the roof, and our oil companies are taking a big hit by being forced out of the Russian energy sector. Energy and food inflation was already a problem in the UK before this, and this is going to put that trend on steroids. Russian nuclear bombers regular go for joyrides over the UK just to test our response times. The idea that this is a far away conflict for the UK with no impact is just not true.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
trumptards at it again lol

in other news, Putin clearly not scared someone will fucking snap his neck any second now, hence this totally normal way to talk to his top officials
8iyucyy0glk81.jpg
This image is saying it all.
He is not vaccinated because he is afraid of sticking a needle since it might be an assassination.
He believes in his own propaganda too. He just thinks West is bad and poor Ukraine has been thinking too much of the west and not the motherland.

I am thinking, and it’s the scariest thought that the propaganda is so strong, he actually believes it and looks at the west as just bad guys in his stupid eyes.
I think it’s delusion, old age and COVID solidarity as you clearly see with the long table

NoviDon

It is called Londongrad for a reason. The huge amount of Russian money flowing through the city. Petrol prices at the pump here are rising through the roof, and our oil companies are taking a big hit by being forced out of the Russian energy sector. Energy and food inflation was already a problem in the UK before this, and this is going to put that trend on steroids. Russian nuclear bombers regular go for joyrides over the UK just to test our response times. The idea that this is a far away conflict for the UK with no impact is just not true.
well, I prefer this approach. When a mad power hungry dictator plays his cards you have to counter in some way. I would rather pay more for my avocado toast and vanilla soy latte than be drafted and in a plane about parachute into moscow to get my head blown off in the front lines because putin invaded a nato territory as a result of suffering no consequences from taking non-nato neighbors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom