• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl |OT|

Orlics

I don't see why everyone thinks that the game is that unoptimized. I have a Athlon 64 3500+ with a gig of RAM and an X800 GTO 256mb running Vista. I usually get a rock solid 60 fps at 1024x768 (I run at 1280 x 1024 though). I'm running at the default settings it gave me ("High" preset, no dynamic lighting)

Holy ****ing shit at the guy that appears down the tunnel behind you during the first underground bit. ****er didn't want to die!

Enjoyable game, although aiming seems to be a bit random, but then again all the guns have accuracy ratings. I quite like the ak the military dudes use, seems to be accurate and powerful, picked up one in the underground that fires faster.

I rather like the AI as well, badies use cover and try to flank you. On the first mission I walked through a building, making noise walked over to a whole in a wall, guy stepped out from behind the wall shotgun to the head dead me.

ps there must be something wrong with dynamic lighting, with it I get under 30fps without it I get 150 (e6400 at 3.44ghz, x1950pro 256mb, 2gb ram, win xp)

Sjoerd

MrPing1000 said:
ps there must be something wrong with dynamic lighting, with it I get under 30fps without it I get 150 (e6400 at 3.44ghz, x1950pro 256mb, 2gb ram, win xp)

Not the dynamic lighting again... Most new games don't support full dynamic lighting because of the performance drop, stalker does. They could have left it out, could have made it more simple to render or whatever but they didn't. Enough about it, geez...

Slo

Nice, I just discovered that I'd been playing on 'Master' difficulty. No wonder I was having to replay every shootout 12 times. :D

Ben Sones

EviLore said:
Try PC gaming with a real computer, might alleviate some of your woes.

I have a similar machine, and while I'd agree that it's not exactly cutting edge (and I plan on replacing it later this year), it's "real" enough to run every other PC game out there without any problems. Including a number of games that look as good as STALKER, like FEAR and Oblivion (with the fancy HDR effects turned on). In fact, I get considerably better framerates in Oblivion than I do in STALKER, and the Oblivion engine does a hell of a lot more than the STALKER engine does (infinite view distances in a much larger environment, more detailed vegetation and lots more of it, better lighting and shader effects, etc.).

I'm not bashing STALKER here, which I like a lot, but the issue is not people's computers. The system specs he listed should be able to run a game like this at a reasonable framerate--if not with full dynamic lighting, then at least with HDR and shader effects enabled. STALKER is a pig, and clearly could have been optimized much, much better.

Redbeard

Banned
Ben Sones said:
I have a similar machine, and while I'd agree that it's not exactly cutting edge (and I plan on replacing it later this year), it's "real" enough to run every other PC game out there without any problems. Including a number of games that look as good as STALKER, like FEAR and Oblivion (with the fancy HDR effects turned on). In fact, I get considerably better framerates in Oblivion than I do in STALKER, and the Oblivion engine does a hell of a lot more than the STALKER engine does (infinite view distances in a much larger environment, more detailed vegetation and lots more of it, better lighting and shader effects, etc.).

Sorry but Oblivion doesn't look as good as Stalker (with dynamic lighting). In Oblivion grass and tree shadows are faked, and most objects have no shadows at all under any conditions. And the landscape looks HORRIBLE in Oblivion without mods and tweaks to the config file. Ruins will simply pop into existence as you're walking and the distant texturing is awful.

FEAR has similar lighting but the detail and expansiveness is nowhere near Stalker.

Draft

STALKER is officially da shit. I was only able to play it for a couple hours last night, but it did keep me up well past bedtime which is a hallmark of stupid tight games. Games like this remind me why I keep an up to date PC. That feeling. Looting corpses, getting all excited from finding a gun with a silencer, stumbling onto another STALKER murdering mutant dogs. DAMN! Wish I could be playing it right now.

Borys

Banned
I wish I had a 8800 GTS:

guy from EvilAvatar said:
Picked it up yesterday, I'm pretty impressed by it. It's definately more towards a budget title, but with everything cranked on high, man it looks good! I've got everything maxed and dynamic lighting on, with even the view distance and lighting distance increased over the default. Go 8800 GTS!

Holy crap...

Anyway from what I've gathered S.T.A.L.K.E.R. does MUCH MORE THAN OBLIVION graphically so it is NO WONDER that it chugs.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has AWESOME, high res texutres that put F.E.A.R.'s and Gears of War's to shame.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has Doom III like lighting system which KILLS performance on HUGE areas and looks KILLER in corridors/ inside.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. R.U.L.E.S.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Borys said:
I wish I had a 8800 GTS:

Holy crap...

Anyway from what I've gathered S.T.A.L.K.E.R. does MUCH MORE THAN OBLIVION graphically so it is NO WONDER that it chugs.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has AWESOME, high res texutres that put F.E.A.R.'s and Gears of War's to shame.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has Doom III like lighting system which KILLS performance on HUGE areas and looks KILLER in corridors/ inside.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. R.U.L.E.S.

That about sums it up. One thing, though: I have to disagree with the guy from EA--S.T.A.L.K.E.R. does not strike me as a budget title. But I guess some people equate scripting and quality voiceovers to large budgets. Believe me, I can see why, but I still gotta disagree.

Christ, I can't wait to play this game with my R600 this summer.

Edit: Funny story from last night. I was strolling through Garbage when I found myself in a fairly large firefight. This one bandit tried to flank me, but instead ran right into an anomaly. He was lifted into the air and was spun around hundreds of times, then was sent flying about fifty feet away. His screams were priceless.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Might pick this up on my way home...need a yay or nay on performance:

2.1ghz C2D
2gig Ram
7950gtx

...and i want to run it widescreen at 1680x1050

helps!

Chiggs

Gold Member
Ghost said:

2.1ghz C2D
2gig Ram
7950gtx

helps!

Definite yay. You'll need to do some adjusting, though. Probably won't run very well on max, but it's still gonna look spectacular.

bee

its true that people are underplaying just how much power a full dynamic lighting system requires especially in a world as big as stalkers, try playing quake 4 1.0 multiplayer for instance, u cant turn the dynamic lighting off and performance is horrific with more than 3 people on screen at the same time its constantly dropping to 20fps no matter what your pc spec is, in later versions they let u turn it off and it runs at a constant 60fps never once dropping.

Draft

Ghost said:

2.1ghz C2D
2gig Ram
7950gtx

helps!
Same system, but a weaker X850 pro. Runs at 1680x1050, everything turned on except dynamic lights, solid 60fps.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
chespace said:
Wow, 3am. Must sleep.

STALKER rules.

One of the most intense shooters I've played in recent years, if not the most intense.

The AI in this game is off the hook.

Damn those Resident Evil dogs.

The atmosphere, the firearms, the paranoia, the variable weather, day/night cycles, loot collecting and ironsights aiming all come together to create one helluv an immersive mind****.

Best of all, I'm running with all settings to max except AF, AA and dynamic lighting on my piece of shit Toshiba Satellite laptop (actually I love this laptop for everything except games). Smooth framerates, nice textures, etc. I have to take a little sacrifice though and run the game at 800x600. Still looks good! :lol

And yes, I'm playing on a pot of cold water. It feels as if this laptop is going to melt.

Can't wait to do more STALKER this weekend.

BTW, here are the specs to my fabled laptop:

Toshiba Satellite M65
2GHz Intel Pentium M
1 gig of RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon X600SE

I can run this game at 30+ framerate with all the sliders to max (except AF, AA) at 800x600.

So if I can play STALKER, YOU CAN TOO.

Also, does anyone know why I can't seem to turn on motion blur or bloom? I tried changing the values in the text file.

syllogism

chespace said:
BTW, here are the specs to my fabled laptop:

Toshiba Satellite M65
2GHz Intel Pentium M
1 gig of RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon X600SE

I can run this game at 30+ framerate with all the sliders to max (except AF, AA) at 800x600.

So if I can play STALKER, YOU CAN TOO.

Also, does anyone know why I can't seem to turn on motion blur or bloom? I tried changing the values in the text file.

I dont know about blur, but you don't want to turn on bloom

ss_ben_harrison_03_22_07_20_36_15_l01_escape_aaa.jpg
->
ss_ben_harrison_03_22_07_20_43_26_l01_escape_274.jpg

Yeah, while it's a matter of preference, bloom, I find, is actually kinda against the look of Stalker. It's just too bright. Motion blur, however, is pretty cool and surprisingly takes little resources in-game.

Ben Sones

Ghost said:

2.1ghz C2D
2gig Ram
7950gtx

helps!

Yes. And also, for people who don't have the latest bleeding edge machines, the game runs fantastically if you just set it to static lighting. I'm playing at 1600x1200 with most of the sliders maxed and view distance cranked almost all the way up, and even without the (admittedly cool) dynamic lighting effects, it's a good-looking game. Very detailed environments.

chespace

MightyHedgehog said:
Yeah, while it's a matter of preference, bloom, I find, is actually kinda against the look of Stalker. It's just too bright. Motion blur, however, is pretty cool and surprisingly takes little resources in-game.

How the hell do you turn on motion blur?

What is the exact line you have in the text file for this?

Defcon

Banned
chespace said:
How the hell do you turn on motion blur?

What is the exact line you have in the text file for this?

To turn on bloom lighting and motion blur...

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\STALKER-SHOC

open user.tlx

find and alter

r2_ls_bloom_fast off to on

r2_mblur 0 to 1

Mau ®

Im getting a laptop on Sunday along with STALKER. Tell if this is enough (I think it is though..)

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5500 (1.66 GHz)1
2GB RAM & 160GB Serial ATA hard drive2
NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7400 with 335MB Video RAM

Thx in advance :)

chespace

Defcon said:
To turn on bloom lighting and motion blur...

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\STALKER-SHOC

open user.tlx

find and alter

r2_ls_bloom_fast off to on

r2_mblur 0 to 1

hmm, I've done both of the above and get no effect for some reason.

for motion blur, the setting changes to "1." instead of just "1" when I reopen the txt file after running the game.

could it be possible that my graphics chip can't use those features? :(

Redbeard

Banned
chespace said:
hmm, I've done both of the above and get no effect for some reason.

for motion blur, the setting changes to "1." instead of just "1" when I reopen the txt file after running the game.

could it be possible that my graphics chip can't use those features? :(

It may be that you need to have dynamic lighting on for this stuff.

Mau ®

Yeah I think I may ask again. Is this enough:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5500 (1.66 GHz)1
2GB RAM & 160GB Serial ATA hard drive2
NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7400 with 335MB Video RAM

Normally I wouldnt ask such a question but since at least a partial amount of players are having some issues I just wanted to verify...

Redbeard

Banned
chespace said:
Is there a way to force dynamic lighting in the txt file? I can't turn it on in the menu.

Also, have you guys read this post? The moderator over at some big STALKER forum flipped out and ranted for a thousand words on why it's the biggest piece of shit ever.

http://board.oblivion-lost.de/showthread.php?t=8176

renderer renderer_r1 (static lighting)
renderer renderer_r2a (object dynamic lighting)
renderer renderer_r2b (full dynamic lighting)

Solo

Finally picked up this beast! Can't wait to get playing. Having looked forward to anything this much since Oblivion a year ago.

Mrbob

I'm getting pretty good performance out of my Athlon 2500 mobile @ 2 GHZ, 1GB ram, and 256MB X850PRO card with this game. I have it running in my monitors default res (1440 X 900), EAX on (soundblaster card), static lighting, and grass down about 30 percent. Get a constant between around 30-45 FPS, depending on if there is a firefight or not.

I am having trouble with one early mission though. Bes asks you to help defend the camp against Bandits, and I've played it a couple times where it says I fail the mission in the middle of the battle. What am I doing wrong?

Hmmm...after messing with it for a while, even on my shitty old rig (P4 2.6, 2GB, X800), I can force full dynamic lighting, force the res of 640x480 or 800x600, do medium settings with some down tweaking with blur on(which I now, upon examination can't actually tell is working or not :lol) and it looks and runs pretty ok. Probably averaging less than 30 FPS but not too much lower during thunderstorms and all. I regret playing this and watching this on a much nicer rig than my own. :/

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Mrbob said:
I am having trouble with one early mission though. Bes asks you to help defend the camp against Bandits, and I've played it a couple times where it says I fail the mission in the middle of the battle. What am I doing wrong?

Don't let Bes die.

Slo

Mrbob said:
I'm getting pretty good performance out of my Athlon 2500 mobile @ 2 GHZ, 1GB ram, and 256MB X850PRO card with this game. I have it running in my monitors default res (1440 X 900), EAX on (soundblaster card), static lighting, and grass down about 30 percent. Get a constant between around 30-45 FPS, depending on if there is a firefight or not.

Hmmm....I got a Go Collect Reward notice the first time I did damage to one of the bandits. I guess that constitutes "helping". After the battle is over, he gives you a reward, so maybe you have to keep him alive to complete the mission.

FatalT

Banned
For some reason the sky is completely whacked out on my laptop. Not really sure what the deal is but it blurs everything and copies the textures around it...weird stuff. Other than that, the game looks and plays just fine, however I don't even feel like playing the game with the sky looking like complete crap. I'll try to take a screenshot soon.

DELL Inspiron E1505
Intel T2500 @ 2.00GHz
2 GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300

I think its a dual core or something yadda yadda, I might try to change the affinity to one of my processors off to see if it makes it run any better but I doubt it. Usually that only works for old games.

Solo

Game is running great on my rig (save for not getting the eyegasm that is dynamic lighting), 1600X1200, framerate sticking around 40 or so. Ive only played around a bit in the first camp, but I am LOVING the atmosphere, design, music, and texture work. Graphically, since Im using static lighting, the game looks pretty much like Half-Life 2. Which I still find to be a gorgeous game, so no complaints here. Can't wait to actually sink my teeth into the game now.

Drek

FatalT said:
For some reason the sky is completely whacked out on my laptop. Not really sure what the deal is but it blurs everything and copies the textures around it...weird stuff. Other than that, the game looks and plays just fine, however I don't even feel like playing the game with the sky looking like complete crap. I'll try to take a screenshot soon.

DELL Inspiron E1505
Intel T2500 @ 2.00GHz
2 GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300

I think its a dual core or something yadda yadda, I might try to change the affinity to one of my processors off to see if it makes it run any better but I doubt it. Usually that only works for old games.
Had the exact same problem its an issue with Nvidia card that use virtual memory and have recent drivers. You can either roll back your drivers (can't recall how far back, google search and you'll find it) or run it windowed.

I run mine windowed, set to the same res as my monitor, so it pretty much is full screen, little bit of performance hit but its very playable.

FatalT

Banned
Drek said:
Had the exact same problem its an issue with Nvidia card that use virtual memory and have recent drivers. You can either roll back your drivers (can't recall how far back, google search and you'll find it) or run it windowed.

I run mine windowed, set to the same res as my monitor, so it pretty much is full screen, little bit of performance hit but its very playable.
Wowzers, I put it on windowed mode and the sky looks perfect now. I'll have to find out what driver version I can use to play it in fullscreen. Thanks a bunch Drek!

Chiggs

Gold Member
Solo said:
Game is running great on my rig (save for not getting the eyegasm that is dynamic lighting), 1600X1200, framerate sticking around 40 or so. Ive only played around a bit in the first camp, but I am LOVING the atmosphere, design, music, and texture work. Graphically, since Im using static lighting, the game looks pretty much like Half-Life 2. Which I still find to be a gorgeous game, so no complaints here. Can't wait to actually sink my teeth into the game now.

You know, there's a second option called Object Dynamic Lighting, which looks fantastic, and yet, nobody seems to mention it. Use that and down the grass to about 25%, and you should be good to go performance-wise.

I'd just hate for anyone to miss out on the amazing parallax mapping in this game.

Borys

Banned
:lol @ the link chespace posted.

HEY YOU WANT TO KNOW SOME INFORMATION?
NO I DONT WILL YOU SHUT UP!!

DAMN I GOT LOADS OF BANDITS ON ME. THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME AND LIKE CHAVS FROM THE 90S BUT LETS KILL THEM ALL WITH A POKEMON BALL!!!

I HAVEA QUEST FOR YOU. ITS HIGHLY DANGEROUS.
WHAT IS IT?
I WANT YOU TO POP IN TO SAINSBURYS GET ME SOME MATURE CHEESE.
NOT MILD?

YAY IM GONNA FREEZE UP ON YOU EVERY NOW AND THEN AND TICK OVER FOR ABOUT 5 SECONDS THEN RETURN YOU TO THE ACTION.

GREAT CODING! YAY FOR ALL.

FIND ANOTHER RUCKSACK.

OH LOOK ANOTHER RUCKSACK.

WOWOMG A PIPE.

OH LOOK ANOTHER!!!!! RUCKSACK ITS MY LUCKY DAY1111!!!1111!11!!1!!1

:lol

Now I didn't play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. yet but the trader or bartender quotes remind me of "WHADAYA BUYIN'" in RE4.

Bought it today (support these kids!) and am diggin the hell out of it...

I rode the hype wagon for this one for years and am glad to finally see it out.

Playing in on the following:

p4 3.0
2gig pc3200
6800 GT
WinXP

(quit playing/upgrading about 2 years ago)

....very ho-hum machine to be sure but it runs great with static lighting. If anything, playing it on static just makes it look like it did during E3 of 2004, where I intially got hyped on it and thats how I remeber it best :)

Chiggs

Gold Member
Borys said:
:lol @ the link chespace posted.

:lol

Now I didn't play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. yet but the trader or bartender quotes remind me of "WHADAYA BUYIN'" in RE4.

I'll give him that: The dialogue in the Bar is annoying. I really want to kill everyone there.

OatmealMu

The bar does have really repetitive dialogue. Hell, the dialogue overall feels rushed. There are numerous instances of text on screen not matching the audio. And yeah, that guy that tells you to go away is irritating, and you're forced to pass him every time you need to go to an area beyond Garbage.

question

is it possible to play this with original Russian (sorry if mistaken) language and english subtitles?

not a fan of english voice work/lip synching...

Top Bottom