• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl |OT|

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
automagnus said:
p4 3.0 ghz
ati x850XTPE 256mb AGP card
1gig ram

runs great on maximum settings

Wow this game is pretty hard! I've died way too many times storming the first building. My buddies seem completely useless except for dying the letting me take their stuff.

Take a deliberate pace. Keep behind cover, use the lean function, crouch for better accuracy. Try to keep an approximation of enemy positions so that they can't flank you.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Danne-Danger said:
What what?

AMD 5000+ x2
7900GTX (512)
2gigs of no-name(or low-end atleast) 667(i think) RAM

And i can run it with all the meters maxed out, everything enabled, 1280x960 and get a stable ~35-40+ framerate outside (only tested at night in a thunderstorm with fraps, but it's been a smooth experience so far), I'm pretty sure that you can go higher in the graphics department.

Your 7900GTX is a much beefier card than mine. Also, this game doesn't seem to care about CPU's too much--it's all GPU.

gandm

Solo said:
F7 doesnt do jack for me either, for some reason, while F6 quicksaves like it should.

And there I thought I was too stupid to play PC games. I've got exactly the same issue, quicksave with F6 works, but I can't load my savegame with F7 (or any other key...).

I then tried to load it through the console, but I couldn't get this to work either as the name of my savegame contains a space character (I tried to escape the blank, use ' or ", but nothing worked). Could this be the problem after all? Does anybody know where to change the default savegame name or has any other idea regarding the problem?

gandm

Good to know, thanks.

Edit: So I changed my windows account name, but it still uses the old save name with a space in it. I'm getting tired of this. Do I need to reinstall this piece of crap?

Sjoerd

gandm said:
Good to know, thanks.

Edit: So I changed my windows account name, but it still uses the old save name with a space in it. I'm getting tired of this. Do I need to reinstall this piece of crap?

Just uninstalling it would do the trick if you don't like it.

I was wondering if anyone else had issues with full dynamic range lighting. It seems to send my fps to hell (1 fps or worse AKA completely unplayable) and it takes for ever for the game to load. HDR works great in CounterStrike:Source for me, so I'm guessing its a software issue. My specs are a few posts up.

I'm also having the quickload issue due to a space in my username, which is getting a bit annoying.

Edit: Try deleting the old quicksave after you change your username and making a new one (pressing f6). Haven't tried it yet, but it's just an idea.

gandm

automagnus said:
Try deleting the old quicksave after you change your username and making a new one (pressing f6). Haven't tried it yet, but it's just an idea.
Thanks for not being a jerk like Sjoerd. I tried that and it didn't work either, so I settled for creating a new profile to play the game. Not the most elegant way, but less painful than doing a full reinstall.

Solo

Nice to see that I am not an idiot :lol Thanks for the tip guys, I wasnt aware that lots of other people were having the same issue. I'll try changing my profile name, as right now, it is my_name.

Avalon

EviLore said:
Btw, dunno if it's been mentioned, but for those of us who use the numpad (gasp) for FPS control, note that num * speeds up game time drastically when pressed (causing you to die of hunger quickly, run out of stamina quickly, the dayn/night cycle to accelerate, and for you to fail sub missions within a few seconds), regardless of what you have binded to it manually (and num / brings it back down).

Thanks. I went straight to the download page and I missed that information.

Solo

Ok, Ive sunk about 4-5 hours in it now, and I am totally in love with it. I DON'T think it feels anything at all like Deus Ex, and thats fine. DX may be my favorite game ever, but S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is entirely its own beast, and Im really digging it. If anything, it feels more like a blend of HL2 and Oblivion.

bogg

The game is very hard but alot of fun, looks pretty awesome with dynamic lightning on, very nice effects especialy at night with all the lightning.
I really hope there will be a patch soon to fix at least some of the technical issues.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Okay, I just got to this area...

...and it is ****ing creepy. It's been said before: But this game's got atmosFEAR!

Chiggs

Gold Member
More screenshots, because I love to photograph this game. And, Redbeard, the artifact is actually called crystal--it's got some great benefits, like anti-bleeding and health out the wazoo.

Mau ®

Chiggs thanks for the pics! They really do capture the incredible atmosphere of this game.

Ive never seen such good atmosphere since Silent Hill 2. Its subtle but definetely on the creepy side. God I need this game, tomorrow is the day! OH YEAH! :D

And would someone tell me if this is enough for this game? Lots of people having issues scares me...

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5500 (1.66 GHz)1
2GB RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7400 with 335MB Video RAM

Thank you so much for anybody who answers!

Solo

Man I am loving this game! All the little touches I am loving, even down to the encyclopedia (locations, artifacts, folklore, etc). The game is really striking the right chord with me. And now that Ive actually got some decent gear and can dish out the hurt, it just keeps getting better. I just finished wiping out the entire miltary cordon for shits and giggles.

inthezone said:
And would someone tell me if this is enough for this game? Lots of people having issues scares me...

Thank you so much for anybody who answers!
I couldn't say for certain, but it does sound perfectly fine...just don't go expecting to run it at the highest setttings.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
MightyHedgehog said:
I couldn't say for certain, but it does sound perfectly fine...just don't go expecting to run it at the highest setttings.

I've been running at the highest settings (but can't do shader 3.0 stuff) at 800x600 with a high framerate and it's awesome.

I can't believe I'm playing the latest PC games on my 1.5 year old Toshiba M65 laptop.

Okay, so what's the deal with stealth in this game? I see the meters in the corner, but what's the actual mechanic to stay quiet and unseen? Trying to be stealthy in this game is like trying to be a ninja in Farcry -- ****ing impossible.

Also, combat is a blast, but um, how do you get good at it? :) I turned off aiming reticule so I can only use the iron sights to aim... and it's very tough to get kills at far range (just like it would be in real life, I imagine). Any hints? I'm gettin toasted in the first area... where I have to go fetch some military documents. Also, damn those packs of dogs.

Chiggs

Gold Member
chespace said:
Also, combat is a blast, but um, how do you get good at it? :) I turned off aiming reticule so I can only use the iron sights to aim... and it's very tough to get kills at far range (just like it would be in real life, I imagine). Any hints? I'm gettin toasted in the first area... where I have to go fetch some military documents. Also, damn those packs of dogs.

Find a rifle with a scope; it's that simple. I recommend the IL-86. Great weapon, plenty of ammo. You can see it in two of my screenshots above.

chespace said:
I've been running at the highest settings (but can't do shader 3.0 stuff) at 800x600 with a high framerate and it's awesome.

I can't believe I'm playing the latest PC games on my 1.5 year old Toshiba M65 laptop.
Very cool, man. I'd think that you'd be able to play at 1024x768 with those settings, at least. Yours is an X700, right? I'd think that card could do what my X800 does and I can run, but not well, the dynamic lighting options. Here, I'm playing at 960x720 with dynamic lighting on objects and low to mid settings.

Okay, so what's the deal with stealth in this game? I see the meters in the corner, but what's the actual mechanic to stay quiet and unseen? Trying to be stealthy in this game is like trying to be a ninja in Farcry -- ****ing impossible.
Yeah, there's the sound meter for the world that listens to other things and your own sound meter...but it seems that auditory stealth is effectively impossible. I've tried running around with a shitter silenced pistol in the early going to find that it almost matters not when all you're doing is keeping yourself from using better, more powerful and ultimately more effective pistol types. Visibility-based stealth works okay when they are already aware of your presence as an aggressor...using foliage actually sometimes truly obscures the AI's vision. Sneaking around, in general, doesn't work...unless you're far ****ing away.

I wouldn't turn off the sighting, at least at that res. It is difficult to get good long-distance consistency, but headshots are the only way to be completely sure, IMO. Sometimes, AIs simply don't react with an appropriate anim when struck making shot confirmations wishy-washy. I mainly use the AR types on single fire mode (9 and 0 change firing modes) and never carry on exchanges at longer than 30yds for more than a few shots to force them into cover so I can advance on their position for more effective striking ranges and angles. I also aim for the legs if I can't get a few shots to land in the upper chest/head area. More than a few times, I've been saved in a close range firefight by aiming lower than usual to get them to stagger while I approach, reload, and give them one bullet to the head. Aggro lingering groups of dogs into a chase where you can stand atop stones or back into a corner so you can lay waste to every last one.

Pimpbaa

Man I wish I didn't finish the game already on my geforce 7600GT, cause I just ordered a 8800GTS. I got the shitty ending, so maybe that will give me an excuse to go through the game again to see all the eyecandy :D

Che, or anyone else running this game on older ATI cards, you should think about using the latest Omega Drivers as they can result in some extra performance.

Chiggs

Gold Member
You know the drill, more screens. Sorry, I just can't help it. It's such a goddamn photogenic game.

Chiggs

Gold Member
OG_Original Gamer said:
Can my pc handle this title?

Athlon 64 X2 42000+
1 gig ram DDR2
Nvidia Geforce 6150 LE 128MB

Your processor is great, but you need more ram, and your video card isn't too hot. You can probably run it in static lighting mode, though.

Odrion

Banned
I can run the game in max details at a high frame rate in Static Lighting mode. But it looks like Morrowind for some reason.

So I run it on object lighting, I'll put the settings on medium too.

(AMD 3200, 1 gig ram, 7800 GS)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Almost 700 posts in and everyone is still discussing system specs?

You wanna know why PC gaming is on the decline? This is why.

Schafer said:

I completely agree with you =/

....hell its why I've all together bailed out on it a year ago

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Um, okay. This game is officially broken or something.

Been playing all night and progress has been slowed to a crawl. I got to The Garbage and helped Bes fight some bandits. As he was giving me my reward, more bandits came and Bes ended up getting shot in the head. So I grab his silenced AK-74 and start killing more bandits. Phew, okay. Time to go grab their ammo. Uh, wait. MORE BANDITS? So I start killing more bandits, and now I'm running out of ammo. Soon enough I'm outnumbered like crazy and getting flanked, so I make a run for it. I go through a radioactive area, and arrive at a hangar factory type place. Once there, I help them fight another wave of bandits. After defeating them, some dude pulls out a guitar and chills out for a while. Then I decide to head to my next mission. As I walk out the door, 4 or 5 more bandits shoot the shit out of me.

WHAT THE FVCK IS GOING ON HERE? Why are there so many bandits? Non-stop fvcking bandit action. All the time. Seriously, bandit fever is killing the atmosphere in this game. It needs to stop.

chespace said:

Been playing all night and progress has been slowed to a crawl. I got to The Garbage and helped Bes fight some bandits. As he was giving me my reward, more bandits came and Bes ended up getting shot in the head. So I grab his silenced AK-74 and start killing more bandits. Phew, okay. Time to go grab their ammo. Uh, wait. MORE BANDITS? So I start killing more bandits, and now I'm running out of ammo. Soon enough I'm outnumbered like crazy and getting flanked, so I make a run for it. I go through a radioactive area, and arrive at a hangar factory type place. Once there, I help them fight another wave of bandits. After defeating them, some dude pulls out a guitar and chills out for a while. Then I decide to head to my next mission. As I walk out the door, 4 or 5 more bandits shoot the shit out of me.

WHAT THE FVCK IS GOING ON HERE? Why are there so many bandits? Non-stop fvcking bandit action. All the time. Seriously, bandit fever is killing the atmosphere in this game. It needs to stop.

I'm sure the idea was to convey a constant uneasy disposition. Never being safe, always outnumbered, etc...
I'm fairly confident that the actual execution was half-baked though and have just resorted to avoiding alot of fire-fights.

Avalon

chespace said:

That's almost the the same exact way it happened for me. Cool thing about this game is that most things aren't scripted so all sorts of crazy shit can happen. :)

Just run away. You can't fight them all so don't bother. Pick your battles carefully.

chespace said:

:lol:lol:lol
That happened exactly the same way for me the first time I hit the dump area. Like Avalon says, you really have to break the kill 'em all mentality in 99% of all other games. Fight when you need to and only then. I agree that the spawn points (they come in from the fenced off areas and load points) suck some serious fun out of things.

Zenith

Banned
so where exactly are the decent weapons? I've just got the military docs and a dozen army guys have been choppered in. the best I have is the upgraded pistol and fast-rate AK74, and I'm still stuck with the armour you start with. did I miss some sort of weapons cache?

Sjoerd

Schafer said:

Can't remember a time when this wasn't the case :)

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Schafer said:

We were doing this on BBSes about Strike Commander 15 years ago. The decline's overrated.

edit: beaten. Sorry, it took me a few seconds to get my PCDF beeper out of my pocket.

Solo

I realize Im still VERY early in the game, but damn, Chiggs, where are all these badass looking underground bunkers you're taking these pics from? So far Ive mostly been out in the overworld, and when I do enter buildings, they've been mostly ground level type ones with windows and stuff. Im itching to see how good these sections look with my own eyes.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Solo said:
I realize Im still VERY early in the game, but damn, Chiggs, where are all these badass looking underground bunkers you're taking these pics from? So far Ive mostly been out in the overworld, and when I do enter buildings, they've been mostly ground level type ones with windows and stuff. Im itching to see how good these sections look with my own eyes.

About an hour or two in, you'll have to use some tunnels to get into a research facility.

Solo

Ok, thanks. Im pretty sure I already have that mission, just havent started it yet. Ive just been spending most of my time doing the more "minor" and basic ones so far, to build up my skills, money, and weapon supply (kill this stalker, kill the mutants, etc, those types). I think the only "story" related ones Ive done so far was to meet Nimble, and to meet Fox.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but the goddamn anti-bleeding artifacts actually have the opposite effect, making you bleed worse. DON'T USE THEM. I got to the point where I had two or three of these artifacts on yet I had to use two or three bandages every time I got shot just to stop the bleeding. Sure enough, as soon as I removed the artifacts the bleeding would stop almost immediately. How is this game in develpment for like seven years and they ship with this effect completely reversed?

And I never thought I'd say this, but they need some kind of fast travel. Even just a few hubs here and there would be alright. It's a freaking pain to have to backtrack across several zones for some of these missions. Hey, go see this guy way back in the first zone you start in. Go see him and oh, now go see this other guy three zones away. Makes me not want to bother.

Solo

Hey guys, is there a place I can get a gas mark/anti-radiation artifact or something? Im in the Garbage helping Bes fight off Bandits, and I keep dying, not because of the bandits, but because of radiation.

Solo said:
Hey guys, is there a place I can get a gas mark/anti-radiation artifact or something? Im in the Garbage helping Bes fight off Bandits, and I keep dying, not because of the bandits, but because of radiation.

You should have some of those anti-radiation shots (forgot what they're called... looks like stimpacks in your inventory) and/or vodka, both will help to take away radiation from your system.

Solo

I have a few, but it comes back within like 5 seconds after I cure it. Doesnt seem to matter where I go in the Garbage, its radiation central.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Solo said:
I have a few, but it comes back within like 5 seconds after I cure it. Doesnt seem to matter where I go in the Garbage, its radiation central.

If you stay on the paths or on open ground you won't be irradiated. It's only if you start walking up the trash piles.

Zenith

Banned
Solo said:

are you sure you don't have an artifact that causes radiation? I had one; I thought it just made you more susceptible to radioactive zones but it's actually an active source. I was using anti-rads every 30 seconds.

also, from Gamefaqs.

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=540331&topic=34318780

"Is Chernobyl Based on a real place?"

God help humanity.

Solo

Zenith said:
are you sure you don't have an artifact that causes radiation? I had one; I thought it just made you more susceptible to radioactive zones but it's actually an active source. I was using anti-rads every 30 seconds.

I think this may be it. I am using 4 artifacts right now, and 2 of them may be radio active. I thought they were protecting against radiation, but perhaps not. Ill go check.

EDIT: Yep, I am an idiot. Or at the very least, woefully illiterate :lol I was using 2 artifacts that each had a -5 Radiation. Problem solved.

Zenith

Banned
Solo said:
I think this may be it. I am using 4 artifacts right now, and 2 of them may be radio active. I thought they were protecting against radiation, but perhaps not. Ill go check.

red stats means it increases a negative/decreases a positive aspect. anti-rad artifacts are really rare, especially early on in the game.

Diggler

Confidence Man said:
I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but the goddamn anti-bleeding artifacts actually have the opposite effect, making you bleed worse.

lol :D Thanks for the heads up...I was wondering why I kept bleeding. I was adding more and more anti-bleeding artifacts to try and help - got 4 on now, all "-300" - yet the game was getting harder and harder.

Solo

Just got to the Agroprom area, about to help the S.T.A.L.K.E.R.S. defend against the military. What a great game.

By the way, you can get a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. suit in the very first village in the game.
Climb up the ladder beside that Wolf dude, get on the roof of that building, and run and jump onto the roof of the next lower building. When on that roof, simply walk around to the far end. You'll see a little section of the roof missing, and a crate inside. Shoot the crate, and grab the suit.

Top Bottom