• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl |OT|

Borys

Banned
Whoa, the dynamic lighting looks way cool. Check the bumpmapping on the bricks and shade under the tractor.

I think this game just tries too much graphically - huge areas, bumpmapping and unified shadowing system (like Doom III's right, dark10x?).

Pimpbaa

Borys said:
Whoa, the dynamic lighting looks way cool. Check the bumpmapping on the bricks and shade under the tractor.

I think this game just tries too much graphically - huge areas, bumpmapping and unified shadowing system (like Doom III's right, dark10x?).

No, I just think there is something horribly wrong with the dx9 rendering. I get around 15 frames per second like Defcon, but I only have a 7600GT with a Athlon X2 3800+. It really isn't doing much more than Oblivion.

Mrbob

Is a single player demo coming out anytime soon?

I would like to see how the game runs first before committing to a purchase. But Half Life 2 episode 1 ran decently, so I should be able to get some good performance out of the game with my current setup. And 35 bucks at Target pretty much seals the deal.

10GB install though? Wow. Supreme Commander 9GB and Stalker 10GB, interesting.

Defcon

Banned
Mrbob said:

I would like to see how the game runs first before committing to a purchase. But Half Life 2 episode 1 ran decently, so I should be able to get some good performance out of the game with my current setup. And 35 bucks at Target pretty much seals the deal.

It's only 6 gigs installed, but it opens up some archives while you play supposedly. You have nothing to worry about if you ran Episode 1 smoothly, that is, as long as you play with static lighting. Probably any computer built in the last 3 years can run it in DX8.

...oh, and no demo is going to be released. They said they couldn't do it because of the A-life system.

Borys

Banned
Yeah, I double checked those screens and it sure as hell ain't unified lighting system a la Doom 3.

I come to a conslusion that it shouldn't run worse than Oblivion.

Defcon

Banned
Borys said:
Yeah, I double checked those screens and it sure as hell ain't unified lighting system a la Doom 3.

Yeah, I know. I can run Oblivion maxed out at 30-40 fps, but only 15-20 at 800x600 in Stalker? Give me a f'n break.

Mrbob said:

Don't forget Titan Quest/expansion! Another huge install, but damn so worth it!

My hard drive space is getting eaten up like Play-Doh at a kindergarden lately. It's worth it, but I'm looking hard at adding another 320GB pretty soon to my computer (I have 500 currently across two drives).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Borys said:

Yes it is. The sun acts as a light source and all objects in the world can cast shadows (including world geometry). There are two dynamic lighting options, however (objects only or full world).

Defcon

Banned
Another complaint I have with the game that isn't performance related is how deceiving the world map is. It's gigantic in your PDA, but you're only able to enter around a quarter of it. Kinda lame.

Durante

Pimpbaa said:
It really isn't doing much more than Oblivion.
With full dynamic lighting it's doing a whole lot more than Oblivion. It's doing what Oblivion was supposed to do before the whole lighting model was severely downgraded. Now you know why.

Remember that chain demo for Oblivion before release, where he picked up the chain in the starting cell and tossed it around and you saw its dynamic shadow on the wall? In other words, fully dynamic lighting for all objects. They took it out before release (probably because the 360 couldn't handle it and keeping it in there only for high-end PCs was too much effort I guess).

dark10x

On a side note, I haven't played all that far at this point, but I'm wondering how large the map really is. Does the game load separate areas or is it one large streamed map (doesn't seem that way)? How often must you move between maps if they use that method and how large can each map be (seems pretty big based on what I've seen)?

Borys

Banned
dark10x said:
Yes it is. The sun acts as a light source and all objects in the world can cast shadows (including world geometry). There are two dynamic lighting options, however (objects only or full world).

Thanks!

So it does a lot more calculations than Oblivion, thus it can run worse.

Awesome.

On a side note: when Deus Ex launched it also ran like dog shit. I remember when Ion Storm released a rendering patch (dx9d3d.dll file IIRC).

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
dark10x said:
On a side note, I haven't played all that far at this point, but I'm wondering how large the map really is. Does the game load separate areas or is it one large streamed map (doesn't seem that way)? How often must you move between maps if they use that method and how large can each map be (seems pretty big based on what I've seen)?

The map is divided into zones. The zones are fairly large, with some being bigger than others. There is a loading screen between zones.

Regardless, the game is really really big. With tons of optional content to explore, from what I've seen so far. I'm about 10 hours in, and have explored between 1/4 and 1/2 the map.

Also, keep in mind, a lot of the content takes place underground... which you don't see on the world map.

Acosta

Borys said:

Hell, no, the sun is a light source itself and the effect it has in the general scenario is much better than Oblivion. You need to see it in movement to see how dramatic this effect is.

Defcon, your problem is with Vista, because my PC is not better than yours. Try to run the game in emulated mode, maybe it works (not really sure, I read something about it on PC Gamer Uk, will check it if you want).

dark10x

Borys said:
Thanks!

So it does a lot more calculations than Oblivion, thus it can run worse.

Awesome.

On a side note: when Deus Ex launched it also ran like dog shit. I remember when Ion Storm released a rendering patch (dx9d3d.dll file IIRC).
That's why I'm not too bothered here.

Deus Ex ran poorly regardless of your settings. Vampire Bloodlines STILL runs poorly on virtually all machines. They were great games, but had serious issues.

Stalker runs virtually perfect if you disable dynamic lighting. So, while you may not experience the visuals at their best, you can still enjoy the game without any issues.

Acosta

dark10x said:

Is separated in big zones. Each zone can be quite big and has a lot of content, but the game will load when you change between those zones. The Zone, the full scenario, is not only big but it´s packed with content as well.

Pimpbaa

dark10x said:
Vampire Bloodlines STILL runs poorly on virtually all machines.

Ha, funny you should mention that game. I have been playing it again recently and my videocard fan actually goes down to idle speeds while playing it (and the game still running like shit). I wonder if Troika would still be around if they had programmers that weren't completely incompetent. They definitely had some people who know how to make good games, but their programmers really tarnished their image.

dark10x

Pimpbaa said:
Ha, funny you should mention that game. I have been playing it again recently and my videocard fan actually goes down to idle speeds while playing it (and the game still running like shit). I wonder if Troika would still be around if they had programmers that weren't completely incompetent. They definitely had some people who know how to make good games, but their programmers really tarnished their image.
The only positive thing about this is the fact that settings have no real impact on performance any longer. It will run like shit regardless, but at least you can run it at max resolution and detail with 8x AA + 16x AF. The game can look pretty sharp at times too (some amazing textures in there).

It's a damn shame the game was so unpolished, though. :(

Kabouter

Pimpbaa said:

Mmmh, strange, I recently replayed Bloodlines as well, and it ran fine with everything maxed out. And my rig certainly isn't as high-end as some others here.

Pimpbaa

Kabouter said:
Mmmh, strange, I recently replayed Bloodlines as well, and it ran fine with everything maxed out. And my rig certainly isn't as high-end as some others here.

The performance doesn't get better when you run it on a higher system. It simply just runs like ass compaired to other source engine games. Considering the graphics the game pushes, it should achieve 60+ fps at all times, but it doesn't.

The barkeep just told me to find a protection suit before venturing into the dark valley, anyone know where to purchase or find such a suit? He did give me a stalker suit, though I dont think that is sufficient.

(simple content related question)

Chiggs

Gold Member
I've got everything running at a fairly smooth 30fps @ 1280x768 with Dynamic Lighting on. The trick is downing the grass by half, and dumping grass shadows. You might want to take shadows down a notch or two, as well.

My rig:

C2D E6300 @ stock
2 gigs of PC-6400
Geforce 7900GS @ stock
Audigy 2 ZS

And I really want to dump head-bob.

Kabouter

Chiggs said:
I've got everything running at a fairly smooth 30fps @ 1280x768 with Dynamic Lighting on. The trick is downing the grass by half, and dumping grass shadows. You might want to take shadows down a notch or two, as well.

My rig:

C2D E6300 @ stock
2 gigs of PC-6400
Geforce 7900GS @ stock
Audigy 2 ZS

Mmmh, that PC is fairly close to my own, this is good news.

Pimpbaa

Chiggs said:

My rig:

C2D E6300 @ stock
2 gigs of PC-6400
Geforce 7900GS @ stock
Audigy 2 ZS

There really is no hope of anything less than a 7900 getting playable performance in this game with dynamic lighing (I tried everything with my 7600GT). Anyone with high end or midrange ATI cards having any luck with performance?

Chiggs

Gold Member
Kabouter said:
Mmmh, that PC is fairly close to my own, this is good news.

You're gonna freak when you first run it. I know I did. Also, it seems like it runs really bad the first time you start it up, but gets better the second time.

Edit: And no crashes on Vista so far.

Magicked

Chiggs said:
You're gonna freak when you first run it. I know I did. Also, it seems like it runs really bad the first time you start it up, but gets better the second time.

Good to know. Running it in Vista has been my biggest worry. Are you running it in compatibility mode (or whatever it's called)?

Leonsito

Well, I got my Radiation Edition (ie especial edition) spanish version.

I can make some photos later if some of anyone cares, and in a few days I should be able to test it in my other PC:

E6600 @ default
2GBOCZ DDR2@800 Dual Channel
ASUS P5B Deluxe AP
XFX 7900GT

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Fallout-NL said:
The barkeep just told me to find a protection suit before venturing into the dark valley, anyone know where to purchase or find such a suit? He did give me a stalker suit, though I dont think that is sufficient.

(simple content related question)

It's sufficient.
Also, stick some anti-radiation artifacts on your belt if radiation gets too heavy in some areas

Kabouter

Chiggs said:

How so freak?
And I can deal with bad performance, I played Oblivion with Quarl's Texture Pack 3 (for 512MB cards :p) with a 7800GTX 256MB. 15FPS average ftw :p.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Magicked said:
Good to know. Running it in Vista has been my biggest worry. Are you running it in compatibility mode (or whatever it's called)?

No, I'm not. However, I do have many of Vista's worthless default services (remote registry?!) disabled. This saves cpu cycles and cuts down down on memory usage.

Kabouter said:
How so freak?

The first time I ran the game, I got around 4 fps.

Kabouter

Chiggs said:
No, I'm not. However, I do have many of Vista's worthless default services (remote registry?!) disabled. This saves cpu cycles and cuts down down on memory usage.

4FPS, wow :D
Got a link to a guide for Vista tweaking btw? I could do without some services :p

dark10x

Similar experience for me. I was getting like 15 fps, though, with a lot of HDD paging. The initial load took FOREVER as well.

After restarting it with modified settings, it runs very smoothly and loads much quicker.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Static vs dynamic comparison on my machine, all settings maxed @ 1680x1050. Maybe I underestimated the differences, it really does look like a completely different game ;b

stalkerstatic.jpg

stalkerdynamic.jpg

White Man

I am loving this game. Everyone should do themselves a favor and make sure static lighting is turned on before they even bother starting the game, though. Sure, it looks better with dynamic, but I like quadrupled my framerate turning it off.

Also, the vsync doesn't work for me either, Evilore, even when I force it on from my GPU's control panel.

I've only been playing less than an hour, but I'm on the second difficulty level, and the AI is still giving me trouble, early game.

I can't wait to dig back in :D Awesome game, so far.

warcrow

Banned
White Man said:
I am loving this game. Everyone should do themselves a favor and make sure static lighting is turned on before they even bother starting the game, though. Sure, it looks better with dynamic, but I like quadrupled my framerate turning it off.

Also, the vsync doesn't work for me either, Evilore, even when I force it on from my GPU's control panel.

I've only been playing less than an hour, but I'm on the second difficulty level, and the AI is still giving me trouble, early game.

I can't wait to dig back in :D Awesome game, so far.

Specs of machine and resolution of game?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Another big issue my friend found was:

If you put whitespace in your name, loading a quicksave will not work. He was going bonkers trying to figure out why this was happening, and I remembered that if I put whitespace in my savegame names, it would only log the first word.

Here's what happens: When you enter your name, it saves the file as that name. Say for instance your name is John Doe. It will automatically enter that as your quicksave name. Unfortunately, it only saves the "John" part. So, when you try to quickload the file, it looks for "John Doe" and only finds "John"... thus it doesn't work.

He started a new game with no whitespace in his name, and quickloads work fine.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Also, for those interested, I ran some performance tests with that helicopter scene with static and dynamic lighting, using both my stock cpu clock (2.4ghz) and my current stable overclocking level (3.2ghz). All other settings maxed, 1680x1050.

My system: Core 2 Duo e6600, eVGA 7900GT OC (532/1568), 2gb ocz paired crossfire certified (lolz) ddr2 800, sound blaster x-fi, western digital raptor 74gb.

2.4ghz: 75 fps static, 21 fps dynamic.

3.2ghz: 79 fps static, 21 fps dynamic.

White Man

Acosta said:

Yeah, Vista. And FlyinJ, that error your friend found sounds really. . .amateurish. You think something like that would've been tested for. It's a simple fix, but the fact it made it into the final game is ehhhhhh.

How far into the game is that heli scene, Evilore? I will do the same tests when I get there.

Top Bottom