• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sacred 2 |OT| Lootwhores of all Platforms, Unite!

AwRy108

Tylahedras said:
I read that 1up review and thought it was worthless terribly written garbage.

Then I looked up and realized it was written by Tom Chick.

All is right in the universe.

While I agree it wasn't written very well, can anyone honestly say that they've been impressed with any of 1up's reviews since the UGO takeover? IMHO, they lean too heavily on the notion of their readers relating to the individual writers, and have trimmed out a lot of the factual content. For instance, there's no mention of the inability to trade items in local co-op, which is actually a pretty serious oversight on Ascaron's part; but because Tom Chick happens to like co-op hack-n-slash games, they brush right past some serious omissions that consumers should be aware of.

I wish 1up would've given the Sacred 2 review to Milkman.

methos75

Banned
After five hours of play, I only had one issue so far in which the game froze while I was manually saving, but since it auto-saves I lost nothing.

MrDaravon

That is a HORRIBLY written review, even though it's a great score.

Anyway, I finally cracked on this game after hearing about the world being enormous and my friend being hyped about for for a couple of months now, and holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. We played 2 player online for 7 hours, I'm only at level 7 (out of 200 apparently?) with 3.9% map discovery, that is fucking insane.

Graphically the game is fine; it's not amazing, but I'm not groaning at poor graphics. Like every console loot game it seems, there's some weird UI and menu display choice that makes some things a little more confusing then they need to be until we got the hang of it. Technically we had a few issues over 7 hours, but nothing gamebreaking. In 7 hours we had (360 version):

-2 random enemies that were frozen and could not be damaged (not quest enemies or anything, barely worth mentioning)
-1 quest-giver NPC was invisible, then later became visible for no reason.
-My friend got frozen while casting a buff (he was able to teleport to me to get unstuck).
-2 or 3 quests I think got slightly glitched; we would go into a quest area where we had to say kill 40 Kobolds; we teleported out of the area (or in one case restarted the game) and in a completely different area we were getting credit for those kills. That may not be a glitch and may just be a slight oversight, or the developers not caring. In the final case though it does appear to be a glitch; the quest marker is indicating an area way to the west. The guy wants I think 2 kobold hearts, 4 stones of something, and 5 boar tusks. When I activate the quest on the world map screen (to change the the quest cursor from another active quest we had going), it changes the indicators to the Kobolds we're right by (which follows the scenario above). We kill some and get the hearts and stones; however for the final piece we still need the tusks, but when we go to where the marker is, there's nothing but kobolds there, which seems to indicate it's still pointing there for the hearts which the game already pointed us to somewhere else. I got off for the night at that point so I'm not sure if reloading the game will "fix" it or not.

Ultimately as someone who went in with pretty low expectations I'm pretty damn pleased. It's still ultimately not like PSO say, but for anyone looking for a console loot/grinding game it scratches the itch a lot better than anything else has in a long time. Hell, I dropped a fair amount of time in Too Human and KUF: Circle of Fire with the same friend just because there's hardly anything of this genre on console, and already this is probably better than both. The sheer enormity of the world and the amount of leveling you can do is definitely the main selling point. Also appreciate the fact that armor and weapons are visibly different as well.

sh4mike

Have 3 hours on the X360 version -- installed HD from the start. Technical issues are relatively painless.

Not a fan of the gameplay. I was hoping for a similar feel to Champions of Norrath, but the action comes acrossed as MMO-based with limited player skill. I'd take Too Human gameplay over this, and I am not a TH fan. Action feels akin to a PS1/early PS2 title.

Overall thumbs up for fans of the loot genre until something better comes along. Too bad about console Witcher -- perhaps Dragon Age or Diablo 3 next.

AwRy108

SailorDaravon said:

Anyway, I finally cracked on this game after hearing about the world being enormous and my friend being hyped about for for a couple of months now, and holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. We played 2 player online for 7 hours, I'm only at level 7 (out of 200 apparently?) with 3.9% map discovery, that is fucking insane.

Graphically the game is fine; it's not amazing, but I'm not groaning at poor graphics. Like every console loot game it seems, there's some weird UI and menu display choice that makes some things a little more confusing then they need to be until we got the hang of it. Technically we had a few issues over 7 hours, but nothing gamebreaking. In 7 hours we had (360 version):

-2 random enemies that were frozen and could not be damaged (not quest enemies or anything, barely worth mentioning)
-My friend got frozen while casting a buff (he was able to teleport to me to get unstuck).
-2 or 3 quests I think got slightly glitched; we would go into a quest area where we had to say kill 40 Kobolds; we teleported out of the area (or in one case restarted the game) and in a completely different area we were getting credit for those kills. That may not be a glitch and may just be a slight oversight, or the developers not caring. In the final case though it does appear to be a glitch; the quest marker is indicating an area way to the west. The guy wants I think 2 kobold hearts, 4 stones of something, and 5 boar tusks. When I activate the quest on the world map screen (to change the the quest cursor from another active quest we had going), it changes the indicators to the Kobolds we're right by (which follows the scenario above). We kill some and get the hearts and stones; however for the final piece we still need the tusks, but when we go to where the marker is, there's nothing but kobolds there, which seems to indicate it's still pointing there for the hearts which the game already pointed us to somewhere else. I got off for the night at that point so I'm not sure if reloading the game will "fix" it or not.

Ultimately as someone who went in with pretty low expectations I'm pretty damn pleased. It's still ultimately not like PSO say, but for anyone looking for a console loot/grinding game it scratches the itch a lot better than anything else has in a long time. Hell, I dropped a fair amount of time in Too Human and KUF: Circle of Fire with the same friend just because there's hardly anything of this genre on console, and already this is probably better than both. The sheer enormity of the world and the amount of leveling you can do is definitely the main selling point. Also appreciate the fact that armor and weapons are visibly different as well.

Thanks for these impressions. Much better than what 1up had to offer.

MrDaravon

Oh, forgot to mention that the only time I noticed any framerate dips was when me and the other guy (again this was only 2 player online) both did area attacks, and the dip was very slight. I think I only noticed screen tearing once. The only world map loading (not going into/out of caves etc) so far I've seen is when you go into a town; you can still move around on the current screen of view, but it has to load beyond that screen. However this only takes like maybe 2 or 3 seconds, but I am playing on an install (no clue if that makes a difference here).

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
1UP cut the complexity out of their reviews long before UGO. They prided themselves on the bite sized takes.

I haven't read this review, but I will say that Tom Chick pimped this game forever on PC at Fidgit, so maybe he felt tired of the details haha.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
SailorDaravon said:

Nice impressions. It sounds like a fun loot-whore hack n' slash. I look forward to playing this game next week!

Brashnir

Phreaker said:
Oh, and someone posted something from the PS3 manual that said you couldn't trade with your local co-op partner.

what an odd omission. Can you just drop stuff on the ground to swap items in local co-op?

bjaelke

This thread certainly picked up steam in the last 6 hours :lol

I'm still not sure if the game is region locked or not. Got 7 sources saying different things. My mail should be here in 2-3 hours so I can test it for my self and finally get clarification :)

_Angelus_

Banned
Do you guys think it'd be worth picking the game up for single player only? I mean is the game built on an MMO style of play...is single layer built well into the game instead of just an after thought?

I'll probably just download the demo for PC.

bjaelke

Angelus said:
Do you guys think it'd be worth picking the game up for single player only? I mean is the game built on an MMO style of play...is single layer built well into the game instead of just an after thought?

I'll probably just download the demo for PC.
I completed the singleplayer on PC before trying the multiplayer and it was well worth it. Sometimes it got lonely at times because of all the travelling, but I just turned on the television :)

methodman

Banned
GAF comes through again. Will definitely be fucking purchasing this asap. Two player co-op on same console is my shit!!!

btw, can i co-op same console with my cuz (we each got our own gamer tags) and play online with a group at the same time? or is it 2 players only?

bjaelke

methodman said:
GAF comes through again. Will definitely be fucking purchasing this asap. Two player co-op on same console is my shit!!!

btw, can i co-op same console with my cuz (we each got our own gamer tags) and play online with a group at the same time? or is it 2 players only?
Two other guys can join in from Xbox Live.

_Angelus_

Banned
bjaelke said:
I completed the singleplayer on PC before trying the multiplayer and it was well worth it. Sometimes it got lonely at times because of all the travelling, but I just turned on the television :)

Thanks. Its not like I don't like playing online but I don't care for games that depend on you playing with others to advance in the game. Often times its make or break having to find good people to play with online. That's why having a good single player is something nice to fall back on for me.

Phreaker said:
As far as I know the only difference is 2 can go online on one console on the 360, but not on the PS3. Both have 4 player online co-op and 2 player local co-op. Oh, and someone posted something from the PS3 manual that said you couldn't trade with your local co-op partner.

Over on TeamXbox forums - Community Manager for Sacred 2 says they're looking into it, then comes back later and says expect a patch in a few days hopefully for it. Wife and I discovered it wasn't there as well, however we have a workaround. Sell it to a merchant and let the other player buy it from the merchant LOL.

Kingpen

Who ever said this game was ugly needs their heads examined. It is really pretty on my TV, especially when zoomed in.

I played for an hour, and I'm digging it. No glitches to speak of. It seems pretty solid so far.

I won't be surprised if it ends up better then both KUF and Too human (it certainly is a lot better then KUF right now from my limited impression) and I like the fantasy element a ton better then the sci-fi one too human presented.

methodman

Banned
Another question about the 360 version: Is it possible to play 4 player local co-op (not online of course) or did they take that out?

methodman said:
Another question about the 360 version: Is it possible to play 4 player local co-op (not online of course) or did they take that out?

2 player local, and as far as I know it was always planned to be that way.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Angelus said:
Thanks. Its not like I don't like playing online but I don't care for games that depend on you playing with others to advance in the game. Often times its make or break having to find good people to play with online. That's why having a good single player is something nice to fall back on for me.

It seems like a single player designed game too. I'm not sure how old the demo is, the PC version has been patched a lot.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Me and Eric WK put in 5 hours with various people today.

1. It's definitely the worst looking 360 game I've played. Between frame rate, pop in, general low quality of graphic design in all regards, it's absolute garbage.
2. It's either really complex or we only know stupid people(the latter is certainly an option). Me and Eric are only having a few problems, mostly with the unthinkably awful trading system. Seriously. If you paid me to come up with the worst trade system ever, I don't think I could top "left bumper, wait for other person, select items, hit y, wait for other person, hit y." I mean, maybe I could now. But I couldn't before.
3. It's reasonably fun anyways.

My gamertag is QVT if anyone else would like to come play with us at some point. I'm apparently the 9th best shadow warrior in the fuckin world right now, so hop on while it's hot.

Xenon

I put about 2 hours into this. I have to agree that the interface and menus take a time to get used to, still not. I think Im going to have to actually read the manual. The control seemed off until I put the Camera on static, which SHOULD be the default.

After coming from games like Too Human and PSO it’s hard to just sit there and hold down the button. So far its been very easy with an abundance of health potion drops.

Concept17

Put a little time into the 360 version. So far it seems to start off pretty slowly. Getting new abilities appears to take some time, and I don't fully understand skills/runes. Graphically the game is fine, though I find many of the hard shadows to be very distracting at times.

The interface takes a bit to get used to, but whats there really works. Playing an Inquisitor for my first character on the shadow campaign.

I'll post more impressions as I get further along.

Played this for about three hours with one buddy on my couch and the other two online. Awesome game. We were having a blast. When one person cast their gigantic screen sized demon to attack and help us we all cheered "Hell yeah" until it turned and decimated us! LMAO

Great game guys. This is going to be one hell of a long game.:lol

Thrakier

Man, no one is playing the PS3-Version!??? How's it running?

Also can you use the chest-exploit to trade in local-coop? So that both characters are using the same account (taking two of the the eight spaces) and both can open the main chest? So that you can trade using the main chest?

Ristlager

Probably should just refrase: Is there a bow class in this game, could find any good info about that on the wiki.

edit: found some info on amazon.com. Dryad it is then :)

methos75

Banned
Thrakier said:
Man, no one is playing the PS3-Version!??? How's it running?

Also can you use the chest-exploit to trade in local-coop? So that both characters are using the same account (taking two of the the eight spaces) and both can open the main chest? So that you can trade using the main chest?

I have it and for me no issues so far after close to 10 hours, anyway I just did a side quest that ended up leading to a fucking metal concert and some nifty Guitar weapons, pretty fucking cool.

Thrakier

methos75 said:
I have it and for me no issues so far after close to 10 hours, anyway I just did a side quest that ended up leading to a fucking metal concert and some nifty Guitar weapons, pretty fucking cool.

How is the framerate? Stable 30?

Could you try if the trick with the chest in coop works? Try to start a coop game, login the same account twice, use two charachters from this account and check if both chars can access the main chest to trade items?

Thanks!!! :)

Hammer24

Banned
Envy, thy name is Hammer... :S
How long does it usually take for VGPlus to ship to Europe?

And guys... please keep the impressions coming, thx.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I took my advice and bought the on sale PC version, it's awesome. This is the Diablo holdover I craved, haha. Man, the newer patches sure improved it since I tried the demo. Game is beautiful.

There is some complex side stuff though, I'm curious how it all worked out on console. I'm always hopping to different screens, maps, inventory, etc. I'm not $60 curious though.

AwRy108

Loudninja said:
Game Informer gave it and 7.75 with a second opinion of 7
http://www.gameinformer.com/Games/Review/200906/R09.0512.1404.06054.htm

Another really terrible review.

Wow, that is one lousy review--makes the 1up review seem like Shakespeare...

...but do we really expect anything else from Game Informer?

I feel like the media outlets are being vague with the intent of skirting around the negatives, out of sympathy for the struggling developer.

Ricker

Thrakier,jesus,just buy the freakin game already ;) :lol :D

Hopefully stores get it today up here in Canada,besides Best Buy that have the card sitting there for the last 2 weeks saying the 14th.

GreekWolf

BenjaminBirdie said:
Wwwwhat?

That sounds fucking awesome.
I remember reading an interview that the sequence is kind of an homage to the old Journey arcade game from the 80's, where you have to collect the band's instruments through various platforming stages, with the grand payoff being a concert performed by the group.

Hammer24

Banned
GreekWolf said:
I remember reading an interview that the sequence is kind of an homage to the old Journey arcade game from the 80's, where you have to collect the band's instruments through various platforming stages, with the grand payoff being a concert performed by the group.

Does anyone know what the side quest is called? I´d love to put that into the OP.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Is the music good in this game?

Top Bottom