• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sacred 2 |OT| Lootwhores of all Platforms, Unite!

PuMa

I played about 4 hours of the PS3 version last night, and I've gotta say, I'm absolutely loving this game so far. All the negative impressions early on were blown way out of proportion in my opinion.

In the time I've spent with the game so far, I have experienced no freezes or technicial issues whatsoever. That being said, the game is not without it's flaws. The graphics are good, but not amazing. There is some pop-in and minor hitches in framerate, but it isnt anything I havent seen before in similar open world games. Overall, I would say that if you were/are a fan of Diablo/Champions of Norrath/Baldur's, then you will most likely love this game.

I played a good chunk of time online with two friends. The only real issue I saw with the game so far was the crazy amount of lag with the online play. It was pretty bad at times, but it was still a blast. I'm hoping this is just one of those online hitches that almost all games experience at launch these days.

Some other things I liked:

- The world map. The first time I hit Select to bring up the world map, I was blown away by the transition that occurs. I just thought it was really neat.

- The menu system. That's right. It's actually not that bad. What was difficult about it was that it took me a little while to get used to it and figure everything out. But once I did, I felt it worked great for consoles. You can easily map any face button to an item or spell. There is even a second set you can map by using R2/L2, and you can also set up combinations.

- There were some cool, quirky in-game things I experienced that just made me laugh and really enjoy the game that much more. For example, I was blasting away some little Kobold guys with my nasty fireball, and one guy starting running away from me screaming, "I want my mommy!!". Those sorts of things always crack me up.

- The depth. Man there is just so much to this game. My friend checked our stats after playing for a few hours, and we had only touched about 1% of the map. It's huge. Not to mention the insane amount of items/equipment in the game and the complexity of the skills/abilities system. You definitely have to figure a lot of these things out for yourself, which may throw some people off, but I love it.

Verdict: LOOT! Nomnomnom. :D

Picked up my pre order last night. I already have a Level 8 Inquisitor and a Level 6 High Elf :D

PS3 version, Can someone explain how the loot grabs work on two player local. My son was getting all the pickups?

I'll be on tonight, if someone is looking to play let me know.

Its a shame there is not more people in this thread. The way overblown issues that these so called reviewers have are so minor its not even funny. Unfortunatly its probably scared people away from the game. Gamers wanted a loot game that offered hours of gameplay and 4 player co-op. You got it. Sacred 2 is great fun. :D

I can't stop thinking about playing it if that says anything.

Thrakier

PuMa said:
I played about 4 hours of the PS3 version last night, and I've gotta say, I'm absolutely loving this game so far. All the negative impressions early on were blown way out of proportion in my opinion.

In the time I've spent with the game so far, I have experienced no freezes or technicial issues whatsoever. That being said, the game is not without it's flaws. The graphics are good, but not amazing. There is some pop-in and minor hitches in framerate, but it isnt anything I havent seen before in similar open world games. Overall, I would say that if you were/are a fan of Diablo/Champions of Norrath/Baldur's, then you will most likely love this game.

I played a good chunk of time online with two friends. The only real issue I saw with the game so far was the crazy amount of lag with the online play. It was pretty bad at times, but it was still a blast. I'm hoping this is just one of those online hitches that almost all games experience at launch these days.

Some other things I liked:

- The world map. The first time I hit Select to bring up the world map, I was blown away by the transition that occurs. I just thought it was really neat.

- The menu system. That's right. It's actually not that bad. What was difficult about it was that it took me a little while to get used to it and figure everything out. But once I did, I felt it worked great for consoles. You can easily map any face button to an item or spell. There is even a second set you can map by using R2/L2, and you can also set up combinations.

- There were some cool, quirky in-game things I experienced that just made me laugh and really enjoy the game that much more. For example, I was blasting away some little Kobold guys with my nasty fireball, and one guy starting running away from me screaming, "I want my mommy!!". Those sorts of things always crack me up.

- The depth. Man there is just so much to this game. My friend checked our stats after playing for a few hours, and we had only touched about 1% of the map. It's huge. Not to mention the insane amount of items/equipment in the game and the complexity of the skills/abilities system. You definitely have to figure a lot of these things out for yourself, which may throw some people off, but I love it.

Verdict: LOOT! Nomnomnom. :D

Thanks for the impressions! Is the framerate more like stable 25 or more like 30 most of the time? ;)

And coud you please test this:

Could you try if the trick with the chest in coop works? Try to start a coop game, login the same account twice, use two charachters from this account and check if both chars can access the main chest to trade items?

I want to play this game mainly in coop and I that would be a huge issue if it wouldn't work. I can also buy the 360 version, I know that it works there.

Oh, and can you play your SP-Character online? Or do you have seperate chars for on- and offline play?

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Quest of the week: Buy this game looks awesome and finally 4 players COOP!

I wonder if there is any lag in the 360 version

Kauza

The in-stock date at Amazon is now the 15th. What the hell is going on over there? I can't decide if I think they sold out of an initial shipment or if they're just getting the game late. Has anyone had their order ship yet?

It's looking like I'll have to grab the game locally sometime this week.

Tobor

The character selections are a little on the weak side. Why can't I be a male Dryad? It took me a while to understand how the weapon equip works. And my Shadow Warrior runs like he's having a bathroom issue.

It's still an awesome game. I'll be playing this for months.

Kauza said:
The in-stock date at Amazon is now the 15th. What the hell is going on over there?
My delivery estimate (w/ two-day) is May 15th, but that would mean they'd have to ship it out this afternoon. I guess I'll wait and see if they send me an email today.

Tobor said:
The character selections are a little on the weak side. Why can't I be a male Dryad?

Agreed, I wanted a mage class so I played with the Inquisitor for a few levels, he is not really a "Mage" he has combat buffs. So I am stucking playing as a 70 pound stick of a woman, at least she can toss exploding fireballs.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I'm tempted to pick up the 360 version, even though I've dumped 75+ hours into it on the PC. Has anyone hit the character delete bug yet? That's the only thing that's keeping me from picking it up. I hope it's just a few isolated occurrences and/or something that gets patched quickly.

Inquisitors are fun as hell. After getting to level 50+ I can say they get really, really powerful. The only time I ever really died a lot was on the Christmas Island, getting owned by swarms of evil Christmas trees :lol

PuMa

Thrakier said:
Thanks for the impressions! Is the framerate more like stable 25 or more like 30 most of the time? ;)

And coud you please test this:

Could you try if the trick with the chest in coop works? Try to start a coop game, login the same account twice, use two charachters from this account and check if both chars can access the main chest to trade items?

I want to play this game mainly in coop and I that would be a huge issue if it wouldn't work. I can also buy the 360 version, I know that it works there.

Oh, and can you play your SP-Character online? Or do you have seperate chars for on- and offline play?

Honestly, I only noticed very small hitches in framerate when I was really straining to see if I could see a problem with it. I'd say it's 30 most of the time.

For the chest trick are you talking about accessing items in the shared chest with different characters you've created? Or sharing items with the local co-op player via the chest? The first question definitely works, I'll have to try to other later tonight.

And yes, you can select any character you've created for any mode you want to jump in.

MoxManiac

For those with the PS3 version, how are the controls? Responsive? I've heard complaints of them being unresponsive.

So frame rate in ps3 version is fine?

PuMa

MoxManiac said:
For those with the PS3 version, how are the controls? Responsive? I've heard complaints of them being unresponsive.

So frame rate in ps3 version is fine?

Framerate is fine. Controls are great.

AwRy108

Kauza said:
The in-stock date at Amazon is now the 15th. What the hell is going on over there? I can't decide if I think they sold out of an initial shipment or if they're just getting the game late. Has anyone had their order ship yet?

It's looking like I'll have to grab the game locally sometime this week.

Yeah, mine hasn't shipped yet, either; and even with 2-day shipping, the delivery date says May 21st. I was hoping to have this by the weekend, so I'm going to go store-hopping this afternoon to see if I can snag a copy before the Amazon order ships.

kodt

Banned
Started up local coop on the 360 version last night. Really enjoying it but two annyoances.

1. Apparently you cannot trade with other players when you are doing COOP on the same system... only online.. this sucks as we were constantly picking up class gear for the other person and could not give it to them. You also can't drop items that I can see.

2. How does the loot assignment work? About 75% of the time I could not pick up loot when my buddy could, he ended up with 4000 gold after a few hours of playtime while I only had 1000 gold....

Raide

Just a few questions for those that have the games already.

Any impressions on the 4player co-op?

Does the co-op actually haver co-op elements like healers, DPS, tanks etc or is it just a case of Zerging everything? :lol

Does the challenge ramp up suitably for 4 players?

How is the looting arranged, is it class based loot or a free for all?

Are each of the classes different to play or do they feel like re-skinned versions of each other?

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
kodt said:
Started up local coop on the 360 version last night. Really enjoying it but two annyoances.

1. Apparently you cannot trade with other players when you are doing COOP on the same system... only online.. this sucks as we were constantly picking up class gear for the other person and could not give it to them. You also can't drop items that I can see.

Fuck?

kodt

Banned
dgenx said:

Yeah, It is in the manual, you can only trade between two xbox live gold accounts online. Nowhere do I see anything about dropping items.

Apparently they are working on a patch to allow local trading and the ability to drop items.

Also upon some research you can change the loot options in the menus somewhere, and probably set it to free for all, the game must suck at randomly assigning loot b/c it was assigning way more to my friend.

TheFallen

I'm sure a demo would convince a lot more people on 360/PS3, but I don't think that'll be happening any time soon :| Honestly, I picked it up purely for the same system co-op and online capabilities. There are very few this gen, it's almost maddening.

Thrakier

PuMa said:
Honestly, I only noticed very small hitches in framerate when I was really straining to see if I could see a problem with it. I'd say it's 30 most of the time.

For the chest trick are you talking about accessing items in the shared chest with different characters you've created? Or sharing items with the local co-op player via the chest? The first question definitely works, I'll have to try to other later tonight.

And yes, you can select any character you've created for any mode you want to jump in.

What do you think about the framerate in GTA IV? To get a perspective... ;) You said that there is screen tearing? How much? Constantly? Is the framerate better or worse when you are zoomed out completly? I'd rather play it completly zoomed out in Co-Op so that matters to me...

I was talking about sharing items with the local co-op player via the chest. This works on 360 (if the other guy is using a guest account).

Haeleos

kodt said:
Yeah, It is in the manual, you can only trade between two xbox live gold accounts online. Nowhere do I see anything about dropping items.

Apparently they are working on a patch to allow local trading and the ability to drop items.

Also upon some research you can change the loot options in the menus somewhere, and probably set it to free for all, the game must suck at randomly assigning loot b/c it was assigning way more to my friend.

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=619110&page=2

It says they will be fixing that in that thread, but no ETA.

I want to ask this again. How does the looting work exactly in co op. I was playing local with my son yesterday and I could pick up less than half the drops.

I couldn't understand it. My inventory was empty we would kill something, I would walk over the drop...nothing, he would walk over the drop and get the loot...huh?

Anerythristic said:
I want to ask this again. How does the looting work exactly in co op. I was playing local with my son yesterday and I could pick up less than half the drops.

I couldn't understand it. My inventory was empty we would kill something, I would walk over the drop...nothing, he would walk over the drop and get the loot...huh?

I'm going to take a quick guess and say Free For All or Round Robin. More than likely Round Robin.

Drek

They need to get the co-op item trading fix out ASAPs, I know I won't be buying it until the patch is confirmed, that'd just piss my fiance off to no end (and the entire reason of getting it would be so we could play co-op).

Tobor said:
The character selections are a little on the weak side. Why can't I be a male Dryad? It took me a while to understand how the weapon equip works. And my Shadow Warrior runs like he's having a bathroom issue.

It's still an awesome game. I'll be playing this for months.
No such thing as a male Dryad, you gots to go play some Witcher.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
vandalvideo said:

Why?

Eh, just because I guess. The 1Up review mentions how the streamlining of the interface makes it play better. Also would be fun getting all of the achievements. Co-op'ing with friends who don't have PC's capable of playing S2 would be another.

That's all I got.

Thrakier

Drek said:
They need to get the co-op item trading fix out ASAPs, I know I won't be buying it until the patch is confirmed, that'd just piss my fiance off to no end (and the entire reason of getting it would be so we could play co-op).

If she uses a guest account you can trade via the loot chest. I just need to know if this also works with the ps3 version.

Zzoram

I would get this if I had some friends who would get it and play with me online. These games are only fun when you have friends that actually give you stuff their character class can't use so you all get properly equipped.

The broken local co-op trading is a huge turn off, and I can't believe it wasn't caught during testing. I guess I'll wait for a patch or price drop (or both) to consider it on 360. If it's on sale on Steam I might buy that one instead. How is the PC online interface? Full of hackers?

Brandson

Decided to buy Sacred 2 (ps3) today after reading this thread. I love RPGs with local co-op and it feels good to support the bankrupt developer.

Tobor

Drek said:

No shit, but I like to play ranged combat classes, and I have to be a female. It's not a deal breaker, by any means.

As for the Witcher, they just cancelled the only version I could play.

Diseased Yak said:
Eh, just because I guess. The 1Up review mentions how the streamlining of the interface makes it play better. Also would be fun getting all of the achievements. Co-op'ing with friends who don't have PC's capable of playing S2 would be another.

That's all I got.

1UP, ever since the CFW guys left they have as much credibility in PC gaming as my foot.

PuMa

Raide said:
Are each of the classes different to play or do they feel like re-skinned versions of each other?

Each of the classes are definitely different. There are many combat arts and equipment specific to each class.

Drek

Thrakier said:
If she uses a guest account you can trade via the loot chest. I just need to know if this also works with the ps3 version.
Thats my dilemma as well. The 360 is in our bedroom on a 32" LCD, the PS3 is in the living room on a 56" Kuro plasma. I have a pretty obvious preference as a result.

Ricker

Got it for the 360....awesome so far,the only problem I see that bothers me a bit are the screen tearing,playing the Guardian Temple in his starting area,it's quite annoying but i'll get use to it I guess,and the whole interface needs some getting use to also...this is one game actually reading the manual might be a big help at first...graphics are nice,framerate is ok and I can already tell this will be mad fun and addicting as hell.

I'll try online later on today.

Drek

Thrakier said:
Thats my dilemma as well. The 360 is in our bedroom on a 32" LCD, the PS3 is in the living room on a 56" Kuro plasma. I have a pretty obvious preference as a result.

Tobor said:
No shit, but I like to play ranged combat classes, and I have to be a female. It's not a deal breaker, by any means.

As for the Witcher, they just cancelled the only version I could play.
The comment was in regards to a side quest in the Witcher, where Geralt has a discussion along those lines with a Dryad.

Great game by the way, if you can possibly play it on PC you should.

kodt

Banned
Anerythristic said:

You can change the loot type in the options, not really sure how it works either I think it uses some sort of round robin or randomness to decide but it seems to be really off. 75% of all drops went to my friend while I got barely anything, not to mention most of my class drops went to him...

But I read that you can set it to Free For All in the options somewhere.

kodt said:
You can change the loot type in the options, not really sure how it works either I think it uses some sort of round robin or randomness to decide but it seems to be really off. 75% of all drops went to my friend while I got barely anything, not to mention most of my class drops went to him...

But I read that you can set it to Free For All in the options somewhere.

Allright thanks. This is exactly what was happening to me, we couldn't figure it out. It was probably 60/40 or 70/30 split on the drops. I knew I wasn't crazy.

Artadius

Played a good three or four hours last night...some of which was co-op with some old WoW buddies who have also picked it up.

Protips:
I'm not a pro, just what I've picked up

• If you can manage, play on Silver difficulty from the start. Bronze is for newbies and the loot / xp is better in silver. Be careful, some classes start out weaker than others. I died to the first mob in silver with my High Elf. But I have yet to die with my level 8 Shadow Warrior on silver.
  • You can only ever choose ten skills. Ever. Plan accordingly and don't be afraid to NOT spend points / choose new skills until you know FOR SURE where you're going skill / attribute / combat art wise.
  • Don't always jump at the chance to use runes to upgrade your combat arts. This usually brings along a moderate increase in 'cooldown' or regeneration time for the CA (i.e. how often you can use the skill). There could be other ways you could increase the output of the CA without increasing its native level and therefore causing you to not be able to use it very often. Would you rather spam a 100 dmg fireball every 2 seconds or a 500 point fireball every 10? The former might be more appropriate for clearing lots of mobs in quick succession while the later might be more appropriate for boss / elite battles.
  • Watch your Regeneration meter. Default is in the middle at 100%. If it starts to go over that, you'll start having to take a longer time in between using skills. Mitigate this by wearing different armors (big contributor) and raising skills which lower regeneration rates.

Phreaker

Raide said:
Any impressions on the 4player co-op?

Does the co-op actually haver co-op elements like healers, DPS, tanks etc or is it just a case of Zerging everything? :lol

Does the challenge ramp up suitably for 4 players?

How is the looting arranged, is it class based loot or a free for all?

1. It really played well. I was up till 4 playing with 3 friends. Once in a while someone might warp to where they are, if they lagged, but nothing unusual.

2. I think so

3. It seemed too. I did only play a bit solo, but we ran into challenges and some of us did die multiple times (newbs and all)

4. Looting - when stuff is found it seems to be randomly assigned to one character. They have ~30s to pick it up before it's a free for all item. (You can see how much time is left by pressing in on the left thumb stick.) It's done really well actually - especially for mages that often get shut out of loot since they are back a bit from the heat of the battle.

5. They are very different from what I can tell. I have a High Elf and an Inquisitor and I played coop with 3 others playing different characters. We all had different spells/Combat Arts and gear. I will most definitely be leveling up multiple characters.

Wow, I hadn't at all expected the console port to turn out this well. Wasn't on my radar too highly before, but now I might just have to pick it up.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
vandalvideo said:
1UP, ever since the CFW guys left they have as much credibility in PC gaming as my foot.

Ok? WTF man, are you that upset that some of us are buying this game for both PC and console?

Anyhoo, just picked up a copy of the 360 version at GameStop. Turns out it's the "GameStop Pre-Order Edition", which I suppose has the Carrier Imp code inside it. Wasn't expecting that, figured it would be a separate card that I wouldn't get because I didn't pre-order. I didn't get the Collector's Edition on the PC so I've never used the Imp before, interested to see how I like it.

I'm thinking I'll go Shadow Warrior for my first character. I've only really played a Inq before, so I'm excited to try out a new class.

GT = Diseasedyak if anyone wants to coop.

bjaelke

Diseased Yak said:
Turns out it's the "GameStop Pre-Order Edition", which I suppose has the Carrier Imp code inside it. Wasn't expecting that, figured it would be a separate card that I wouldn't get because I didn't pre-order.
I got a pre-order code for Too Human when I bought the game this January :lol

Played 7 hours straight last night.
No issues. Loving the game.
I wish I could see a little more ahead of me when zoomed in 1/2 way. Like an option to click the right analog stick to tilt the camera more horizontally, if you know what I mean.
It's a very couch-friendly loot whore and character leveling game. I actually like holding down the attack button, instead of jamming on it.

I see IGN revised their score, after they found there is no terrible framerate problems, or game freezes, or file corruptions.
So very generous of that reviewer to give Sacred3 another ".3" to the score, making it a 6.5 now. Basically, a "D". What a douche.

Top Bottom