• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sacred 2 |OT| Lootwhores of all Platforms, Unite!

Flyguy

I really want this game now, but I've vowed to shrink by backlog and this would monopolize my time and put an end to that endeavor. I must remain strong.

Phthisis

This game is so clunky. Every important menu and info screen you need to play are buried beneath multiple button presses. The skill system, in particular, desperately needs a chart or map to help you plot out character progress; as it is, everything is buried in the ass end of some obscure menu, which is not helpful at all.

The camera needs an option for being titled horizontally; you can't see shit ahead of you no matter how far zoomed out you are, enemies ambush you from off screen, the targeting system has a huge delay in it. Sometimes you get stuck performing certain attacks....

Before I even got one quest, a quest-giving NPC was stuck walking in place on the roof of his house. I hate the vision bubble you get when under tree cover; it's really nauseating.

I'm still willing to give it some time and see if it grows on me, but right now I'm just very annoyed. I want to explore the huge world, it's a shame everything else sucks so bad.

Ricker

You cannot change the difficulty once you start if you hit continue but there's a way around it I think...I started on Silver,got to level 5 with my GT and decided to join a quick match to try online and I joined a Bronze game and saved before leaving the team...my regualr single player game turned Bronze,so I had to find a Silver game again online,join it to reset my game at Silver...so either you don't save if you join a quick match or make sure you join a Silver or Bronze game if you want to save the stuff you did during the session.

Artadius

Slaylock said:
Is it possible in this game to play and succeed as a magic-only user without ever wielding a weapon?

I've read builds which are pure caster which have succeeded through much of the game, at least through Silver and Gold difficulties. Not alot of build information out there for ANY spec for Plat and Niobium difficulties to be honest...

PuMa

Slaylock said:
Is it possible in this game to play and succeed as a magic-only user without ever wielding a weapon?

Absolutely. I'm a pyro high elf, and I pretty much only carry a weapon for the buffs. I kill everything with magic.

Phthisis said:
This game is so clunky. Every important menu and info screen you need to play are buried beneath multiple button presses. The skill system, in particular, desperately needs a chart or map to help you plot out character progress; as it is, everything is buried in the ass end of some obscure menu, which is not helpful at all.

The camera needs an option for being titled horizontally; you can't see shit ahead of you no matter how far zoomed out you are, enemies ambush you from off screen, the targeting system has a huge delay in it. Sometimes you get stuck performing certain attacks....

Clunky? Really? I think the menu so far has been extremely easy to use. Access to to all pages is only one-two button presses away.

With regards to the camera, have you ever played Diablo? The view is very similar.

As far as the bugs you mentioned, I'm curious what version you're playing. I haven't seen anything like this yet.

Phthisis said:

Before I even got one quest, a quest-giving NPC was stuck walking in place on the roof of his house. I hate the vision bubble you get when under tree cover; it's really nauseating.

I'm still willing to give it some time and see if it grows on me, but right now I'm just very annoyed. I want to explore the huge world, it's a shame everything else sucks so bad.

I hate to say it but it sounds just from your post that you really might just not be into this game or genre even. The view is typical of games like these. The menu system I think works well for as much as there is to see. Takes some time knowing where everything is but after a hour or so your good. As for glitches never had anything like that happen. Just some minor visual things.

Definetly give the game time to grow though. If it hooks you, you will be in for a huge game.

rSpooky

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Does PS3 version have trophies?
yes.

Question. Maybe it has been mentioned allreayd but i cant seem to find it if so..
When playing local coop I noticed some loot beign locked at times and we cannot pick it up. We let the timer run out but then it restarts again so we can never get it.. is this a glitch? or are we doing something wrong?

Phthisis

PuMa said:
Clunky? Really? I think the menu so far has been extremely easy to use. Access to to all pages is only one-two button presses away.

Hey, I just found a new helmet! I wonder if it's better than what I have...

*hold RB*
*Select inventory menu with right stick
*Press A button*
*Press right on dpad to move to armor*
*Highlight new helmet from list of loot*
*Press RB to view info pane of item*
*If so, press A to equip*

That's way too many button presses for the simple act of changing gear. Not to mention that the game manual never tells you if you should be aiming for regen/movement penalties to be positive or negative.

Oh, what? The menu doesn't pause the game, and now I'm being attacked while trying to figure out if this thing I want to wear is good or bad?

With regards to the camera, have you ever played Diablo? The view is very similar.

Diablo's camera is so much better. If I wanted a straight-down orbital view of my hero, I would have launched my own satellite.

As far as the bugs you mentioned, I'm curious what version you're playing. I haven't seen anything like this yet.

EDIT- I couldn't in good faith recommend anyone buy this for full price.

GreekWolf

Artadius said:
Not alot of build information out there for ANY spec for Plat and Niobium difficulties to be honest...
No kidding. I mean, imagine how many hours one would have to pour into the game to even unlock Niobium.

I fully expect this to satiate my hack-n-slash appetite, but it's doubtful I'll have the patience to stomach a 300+ hour experience.

Concept17

Phthisis said:

Give it some time. Once you get the menus down it works pretty flawlessly.

As for the camera issues, it feels like a standard hack n'slash perspective to me. Using the radar for off-screen enemies and moving the camera around is easy enough.

Concept17 said:
As for the camera issues, it feels like a standard hack n'slash perspective to me. Using the radar for off-screen enemies and moving the camera around is easy enough.

Agreed. Keeping the occasional eye on the radar is sufficient to keep you aware of what's around the corner - to avoid ambushes. It took me a while to get used to, but I'm just fine with it now.

But Phthisis is right that the game would be much more enjoyable with the option to tilt the camera behind the character. Even with this being the traditional perspective for this sort of game, it'd still be better with that additional option.

Toy Soldier said:
Agreed. Keeping the occasional eye on the radar is sufficient to keep you aware of what's around the corner - to avoid ambushes. It took me a while to get used to, but I'm just fine with it now.

But Phthisis is right that the game would be much more enjoyable with the option to tilt the camera behind the character. Even with this being the traditional perspective for this sort of game, it'd still be better with that additional option.

Agreed. Though I dont see this as a reason to not recommend anyone to buy this for full price. Anyone that loves these games will eat this up definetly.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Agreed. Though I dont see this as a reason to not recommend anyone to buy this for full price. Anyone that loves these games will eat this up definetly.

Absolutely agreed. Coming from someone who had major issues with the camera at first, it is something that you can grow accustomed to and navigate with successfully. I still feel a disconnect from the character that I don't think I'd feel if the view were closer with a better visual perspective...but that's no reason to skip this one. You learn to work within the camera and the game ends up being a lot of fun and REALLY draws you in.

My local Gamestop got its second shipment today and while I hate buying from them, I made a deal with the devil for this one since I'm trying to save cash and I wanted to trade in stuff towards it.

When I saw the "Gamestop Pre-order Edition" tag on the cover, I laughed and wondered what kind of useless nonsense was packed in. But it turns out it is a download code for a "carrier imp," a creature that you can summon to carry stuff from your inventory and re-summon whenever you want. If this is not a regular feature found in the game (which I doubt) it actually seems pretty useful.

Haven't played the game yet, but looking forward to doing some co-op this weekend with friends.

Toy Soldier said:
Absolutely agreed. Coming from someone who had major issues with the camera at first, it is something that you can grow accustomed to and navigate with successfully. I still feel a disconnect from the character that I don't think I'd feel if the view were closer with a better visual perspective...but that's no reason to skip this one. You learn to work within the camera and the game ends up being a lot of fun and REALLY draws you in.

Whats funny for me is that as large as the world is, I don't feel intimidated in the slightest. I mean sure I think... DAMN this is going to take forever to explore but at the same time, I look forward to it so much.

PuMa

Phthisis said:

*hold RB*
*Press A button*

That's way too many button presses for the simple act of changing gear. Not to mention that the game manual never tells you if you should be aiming for regen/movement penalties to be positive or negative.

Oh, what? The menu doesn't pause the game, and now I'm being attacked while trying to figure out if this thing I want to wear is good or bad?

Diablo's camera is so much better. If I wanted a straight-down orbital view of my hero, I would have launched my own satellite.

As slasher said, it sounds to me like you really just don't enjoy this type of game altogether. Or are you usually a strict PC gamer?

Either way, in my opinion you are really blowing the menu control out of proportion. First of all, to open the inventory, you just have to hold R1 (RB), and move the right stick down. You don't have to hit X (A), at least on the PS3. You can also use the left stick instead of the d-pad to move to armor. It takes about 3 seconds to get to where you need to go.

Artadius

Coming from someone who has likely poured thousands of hours into Diablo and Diablo 2 (plus plenty into Titan Quest, Fate, Mythos, Dungeon Siege, etc...) I will say the following...

Complaints about the chunkiness of the UI...especially moving around menus are absolutely justified. The only problem with those complaints is that typically those making the complaints are, like me, very used to a mouse driven UI like in the games I mentioned before. I don't know how much they could have improved on the system we have now. Sure, maybe some improvement here and there but you would likely always have to use a radial / tabbed button driven interface for a joystick ARPG. That being said, it takes some getting used to but its not a deal breaker.

Complaints about the camera distance and angle are somewhat justified as well. They probably have their hands tied here as well due to technical limitations on allowing you to angle the camera in such a way as to see more of your surroundings and the horizon. The engine itself feels like its chugging along and I can imagine it is already working at full capacity. Increasing view distance or showing a horizon by allowing the player to adjust angle would likely bring things to a stand still.

Its still one of, if not the best Monty Haul Iso-ARPGs out there for consoles (what little there are already). Its definitely scratching my itch while wait for scraps of Diablo III news.

PuMa

On an entirely separate note, I finally found out why I was having such a hard time identifying the magic/unique/rare items. It's problem my own dumb fault because I didn't read the manual. I guess I just expected it to be the same as in the PC version, but they took out the whole color coding system for item rarity! Instead, the console versions have a "star" system, which allows you to view rarity only while in the inventory screen. That's a big bummer for me because I always got excited to see the colored items drop from the game screen.

I got this info from the official site forums, and one of the devs posted saying this is something they might patch into the console versions. I guess some people complained about color-blind people not being able to see the item rarities on the PC version. LAME.

Artadius

PuMa said:
On an entirely separate note, I finally found out why I was having such a hard time identifying the magic/unique/rare items. It's problem my own dumb fault because I didn't read the manual. I guess I just expected it to be the same as in the PC version, but they took out the whole color coding system for item rarity! Instead, the console versions have a "star" system, which allows you to view rarity only while in the inventory screen. That's a big bummer for me because I always got excited to see the colored items drop from the game screen.

I got this info from the official site forums, and one of the devs posted saying this is something they might patch into the console versions. I guess some people complained about color-blind people not being able to see the item rarities on the PC version. LAME.

Yeah, this is actually my biggest complaint so far. One of the best moments in loot parade games such as this (also for MMOs frequently) is seeing the different colors of items drop. Now, I understand why they might need a different method for color blind folks... but couldn't they at least give us the option to switch between the two or do both at the same time?

Alot of times I'll be out and just mowing stuff down that I don't really pay attention to what the words say as I pick up loot. If a different colored item dropped which denoted a different quality of item drops, that's typically a clue for me stop what I'm doing and check out the phat lewtz ;)

Kauza

PuMa said:

Wow, that's unbelievable. A star system just seems so non-userfriendly. Not only that: it's breaking tradition!

I do hope they patch that in. They could easily make the star thing a menu option that people can opt for if necessary.

Giard

PuMa said:

They should just have both. Everyone's happy.

Kingpen

Phthisis said:

Damn man... sorry to hear it isn't clicking with you. I reminds me A LOT of Champions of Norrath, so I am completely satisfied.

I see your point about the controls with the radial menu, but I am so used to them with the RTS games on the 360, that it isn't an overly huge concern for me.

I guess I am making due with the game for what it is... enemies attacking me off screen, are usually to me indicated by the little radar. The no pause thing does kinda suck, but I can make my way around it.

With so little of this genre on any system other then PC i'm sure I have some googles on in regard to technical issues, but man this game is *just doing it* for me right now. In fact, I just pared my collection from 32 games down to 23 today to preorder a couple new games cause I know I'll be playing this for TONS of playtime.

DustinC

Phthisis said:

*hold RB*
*Press A button*

I'll agree that pressing RB for info is dumb, and there's no real reason for it to not always show, but outside of that, how is this any different from any other RPG when it comes to weapon/armor equips?

Almost every one I've ever played requires a button press for menu screen, cycling to armor, cycling to select the piece of armor, pressing a button for the equip, and ocassionally pressing a button to confirm.

PuMa

Artadius said:
Yeah, this is actually my biggest complaint so far. One of the best moments in loot parade games such as this (also for MMOs frequently) is seeing the different colors of items drop. Now, I understand why they might need a different method for color blind folks... but couldn't they at least give us the option to switch between the two or do both at the same time?

Alot of times I'll be out and just mowing stuff down that I don't really pay attention to what the words say as I pick up loot. If a different colored item dropped which denoted a different quality of item drops, that's typically a clue for me stop what I'm doing and check out the phat lewtz ;)

Exactly! And as Kauza said, it's breaking tradition!!!

Here's to hoping that it's in the next patch, which should be coming shortly.

DustinC said:
I'll agree that pressing RB for info is dumb, and there's no real reason for it to not always show, but outside of that, how is this any different from any other RPG when it comes to weapon/armor equips?

Almost every one I've ever played requires a button press for menu screen, cycling to armor, cycling to select the piece of armor, pressing a button for the equip, and ocassionally pressing a button to confirm.

Is there no sticky menus option on consoles? Ew.

So there's no way to trade between characters on local co-op ? And no FFA loot option ?

I'm considering the PS3 version for (mostly) local co-op with my SO but it sounds awfully awkward to play local co-op if you can't trade items.

PuMa

KernelPanic said:
I'm considering the PS3 version for (mostly) local co-op with my SO but it sounds awfully awkward to play local co-op if you can't trade items.

From all the reports hitting the official site/boards, the patch is on its way.

I've played a little over an hour but I'll say that, as someone who has never played this type of game on the PC and has only played Baldur's Gate and Champions of Norath on consoles, I really like it so far. It feels like a more complex version of Champions with 4 player online co-op. I was afraid it would be too overwhelming given its PC origins, but this isn't the case so far. I read the manual and I was ready to go.

Cahill

Banned
Enviously reading everyone's comments. Been waiting a long time for the console port.

...since I'm out of town on work all week while my copy is sitting at home I have a question. Is there a way to change armor/character etc color? Dye's like GW or just some sort of editor aside from the base character creation?

Artadius

KernelPanic said:
So there's no way to trade between characters on local co-op ? And no FFA loot option ?

Until it is patched, you can apparently have one person sell the item to a vendor and the other person can buy it back. This is probably not an elegant solution though as you likely pay more to buy back than you did to sell. So this could be used for items you just couldn't bear seeing lost. I haven't tested this out personally though so I can't confirm.

ZombieSupaStar said:
ok so which version should i get? (I Have a Gaming PC, and Live Gold also)

PC
PS3?

Do you have friends who are playing this already or who might on your suggestion? Get the same platform as them. If not, which ever platform you like best. If no preference, probably PC to save a little bit of money and get some minor added features (loot coloring, dedicated servers, hardcore mode).

PuMa

ZombieSupaStar said:
ok so which version should i get? (I Have a Gaming PC, and Live Gold also)

PC
PS3?

I think I heard the PC version is down to like $30 on sale now. If you aren't concerned with money, just get it for whichever system you are most comfortable with.

Cahill, you can't dye items.

In regards to the menus, I have to say I don't find them all that cumbersome. I was really worried about this because, as I noted before I don't play PC games so I'm not used to having to look at eighty milllion icons on the User Interface or tons of submenues.

When I watch my brother play WoW, I have no idea what is going on. One time out of curiosity when I was in town for a visit an he was playing, I started asking him what all the various icons/displays on his screen were. It took me at least 20 minutes to get through all of them. Though much of it may have been add-ons/modifications, that is a crazy cumbersome interface that is intimidating for new users.

This interface is cake by comparison. Very console player friendly.

_tetsuo_ said:
Bought it. The UI, graphics, stability are all bad to terrible. Gameplay is great though, lol.

I guess that depends on what your standards are. For me this is the first of these types of games I have played since Champions of Norath on the PS2. So, compared to the last gen stuff, this game looks pretty damn good. It's like a high definition version of Norath and it has 4 player co-op, so that's cool with me. I wasn't expecting a graphical tour de force like Bioshock or Metal Gear.

_tetsuo_ said:
Bought it. The UI, graphics, stability are all bad to terrible. Gameplay is great though, lol.

Yeah how is this terrible? Honestly wondering what your comparing to for curiosity sakes.

_tetsuo_ said:

LOL, What are you expecting? On the PS3 version the UI is fine once you figure out how to use it you can L2 - R2 through all the menus in a snap. the graphics are average to good for a game of this type. I have some screen tearing at times on the PS3 version, I have had 0 crashes or lock ups in 14 hours of gameplay.

Artadius said:
Until it is patched, you can apparently have one person sell the item to a vendor and the other person can buy it back. This is probably not an elegant solution though as you likely pay more to buy back than you did to sell. So this could be used for items you just couldn't bear seeing lost. I haven't tested this out personally though so I can't confirm.

Ouch that sounds awkward. Hopefully they'll patch it soon.

I can't click the link (blocked) but it sounds like they're patching the ability to play local and online co-op at the same time on PS3 ?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm so lost on what the deal with the LB 'ring' thing is for? Read the manual cover to cover and it explains nothing.

Also, any way to get a better idea of what you can interact with or not? It's been kinda tough to see what is glowing or not, such as pots or such.

Finally, the whole combat art runes...so confused. Any reason why I SHOULDN'T just upgrade my arts the moment I discover one? The manual states something about a trader, but doesn't describe any reason why I would hang on to the runes.

The whole downtime bar system isn't explained well either. Sword X has slightly better stats, but it increases the big yellow bar by .03%. WTF does that mean???

Brandon F said:
I'm so lost on what the deal with the LB 'ring' thing is for? Read the manual cover to cover and it explains nothing.

Also, any way to get a better idea of what you can interact with or not? It's been kinda tough to see what is glowing or not, such as pots or such.

Finally, the whole combat art runes...so confused. Any reason why I SHOULDN'T just upgrade my arts the moment I discover one? The manual states something about a trader, but doesn't describe any reason why I would hang on to the runes.

The whole downtime bar system isn't explained well either. Sword X has slightly better stats, but it increases the big yellow bar by .03%. WTF does that mean???

:lol , if you upgrade your Combat Arts too quickly and say you are Level 4 and your Ice Shard spell is Level 7 because you used 7 runes for that spell it will take a longer period of time for that spell to cool down.

You can trade runes to the Runemasters to get a rune of your choice. To buy a rune outright costs 125,000 gold, trade four of your runes and the cost goes down to 500 gold. Example trade him four off class runes to get a Ancestal Fireball rune, your Fireball is at Level 2, read the rune it's at Level 3....simple

The yellow bar should be smaller, 145.8% is worse than 67.03%

Xenon

Brandon F said:

This confuses me as well. But I think that if you upgrade things too much it will take so long to recover it wont be as usefull. So lets say you update all your projectile "spells" to the point where they require a long recovery. You will not have a quick shot spell for weaker enemies.

Also I think later on you find better runes that have less of a recharge penalty. <-- I'm not sure on this.

EDIT:
Wired All Wrong said:
It picks up all the loot within the ring.

cool did not know that.

Top Bottom