• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sacred 2 |OT| Lootwhores of all Platforms, Unite!

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
Dear God, this game is a total BLAST!!! A friend and I started playing a local co-op game tonight, and after 5 hours, we've uncovered 2.2% of the map. We weren't screwing around, either. We were playing at practically a dead run, so the enormity of this game world is incredible. We've also been storing items that we think going forward we might swap with each other, in hopes that a patch will come soon and we won't be too far advanced past a level where the weapons will still be valuable. We've only encountered a couple of slight problems; in one, which I don't remember by name, someone sent us to kill, I think, 5 bandits. Upon returning to the character which sent us, he was standing too close to a merchant, so we couldn't highlight him in order to get our reward. As it stands, we just left him in hopes that we can return to the area at some point to collect. If not, hopefully it won't be a huge deal. The other problem we ran into was a situation in which we were too far away from a town to sell our loot and we missed out on several drops which just disappeared in the time we spent trying to scrap enough items from our inventories so we'd have space to pick up new things. Aside from that, the skill controls we picked up in about 10 minutes, and now they seem very intuitive.

There is just something about games like this which completely feed my OCD. I'm sure I could spend 300 hours killing shit, just so I can pick up every last stick of loot in order to sell it. Like Fallout, which I've played for about 70 hours, and have picked up enough stuff to sell that I've accumulated about 86,000 caps. It's a personal demon I can't seem to put aside, but I damn sure get my money's worth out of games like this, of that there is NO QUESTION!!

Thrakier

tekumseh said:
Dear God, this game is a total BLAST!!! A friend and I started playing a local co-op game tonight, and after 5 hours, we've uncovered 2.2% of the map. We weren't screwing around, either. We were playing at practically a dead run, so the enormity of this game world is incredible. We've also been storing items that we think going forward we might swap with each other, in hopes that a patch will come soon and we won't be too far advanced past a level where the weapons will still be valuable. We've only encountered a couple of slight problems; in one, which I don't remember by name, someone sent us to kill, I think, 5 bandits. Upon returning to the character which sent us, he was standing too close to a merchant, so we couldn't highlight him in order to get our reward. As it stands, we just left him in hopes that we can return to the area at some point to collect. If not, hopefully it won't be a huge deal. The other problem we ran into was a situation in which we were too far away from a town to sell our loot and we missed out on several drops which just disappeared in the time we spent trying to scrap enough items from our inventories so we'd have space to pick up new things. Aside from that, the skill controls we picked up in about 10 minutes, and now they seem very intuitive.

There is just something about games like this which completely feed my OCD. I'm sure I could spend 300 hours killing shit, just so I can pick up every last stick of loot in order to sell it. Like Fallout, which I've played for about 70 hours, and have picked up enough stuff to sell that I've accumulated about 86,000 caps. It's a personal demon I can't seem to put aside, but I damn sure get my money's worth out of games like this, of that there is NO QUESTION!!

Which version?

Also, did anyone check if there is really a performance difference between 720p and 1080p on PS3?

Phthisis

I've really warmed up to this game. Most loot hacks get old after a while because of their linearity, but this one has a wonderful world to explore and discover, so I can't see myself losing interest. I still have to fight the camera and menus, but I think once I queued up some quests and had some direction, it started clicking for me. Favorite part so far is raiding caves and murdering everyone inside for their goodies.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
One of my Favorite things has to be the Inquisitors "Clustering maelstrom". Just gather up a group of 10+ and watch them all collide together for instant death :lol

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Can someone answer some noobish questions, for me?

- I'll be playing on the 360, if I decide to pick S2 up. Is this a problem re: patching, new content, or controls?
- I've never actually played a lootwhore game before (besides rogue-likes). What is the actual gameplay/combat like? Any good videos to get a feel for it?
-how buggy is the console release?
- I'll most likely mostly be playing single player (I can't be bothered to build up a whole new circle of XBL friends just to get good multiplayer rounds of just this one game). Is this a problem? If I'll be playing SP, is it worth bothering?

I truly believe I'm a lootwhore at heart. It's def. a big part of my gamer psyche (I enjoy achievements, COD4 unlockables, WoW, etc. It's even what I loved about Miner Dig Deep). But I've never actually experienced the lootwhore "genre" per se, because I'm primarily a console gamer (have a mac). Soo... yeah. Thinking Sacred 2 might be a good place to start. So any feedback is appreciated!

Brashnir

Concept17 said:
As for the camera issues, it feels like a standard hack n'slash perspective to me. Using the radar for off-screen enemies and moving the camera around is easy enough.

I specifically bought this game because of the camera perspective. I prefer it for these types of games.

Brashnir

Thrakier said:
Which version?

Also, did anyone check if there is really a performance difference between 720p and 1080p on PS3?

the difference between the two is massive on 360. I imagine it's similar on PS3, given the post we had about it earlier.

Hammer24

Banned
GDJustin said:
Can someone answer some noobish questions, for me?

I´ll try :)

- I'll be playing on the 360, if I decide to pick S2 up. Is this a problem re: patching, new content, or controls?

The differences between the versions are minor, and if patches are coming they´ll be for all platforms.

- I've never actually played a lootwhore game before (besides rogue-likes). What is the actual gameplay/combat like? Any good videos to get a feel for it?

Combat is ultra simple: point->click->dead. For stronger enemies simply hold the attack button. You can put spells on the face buttons, they basically work the same: point->click->magic->dead

-how buggy is the console release?

Don´t have the game yet, but from what there is to be read, it seams fairly stable on all platforms.

- I'll most likely mostly be playing single player (I can't be bothered to build up a whole new circle of XBL friends just to get good multiplayer rounds of just this one game). Is this a problem? If I'll be playing SP, is it worth bothering?

Sure is. But the coop is very simple drop-in-drop-out, so just add a couple GT´s from the thread here and see who´s online when you are playing.

I truly believe I'm a lootwhore at heart. It's def. a big part of my gamer psyche (I enjoy achievements, COD4 unlockables, WoW, etc. It's even what I loved about Miner Dig Deep). But I've never actually experienced the lootwhore "genre" per se, because I'm primarily a console gamer (have a mac). Soo... yeah. Thinking Sacred 2 might be a good place to start. So any feedback is appreciated!

The core of S2 is extremely simple - the fighting. But the countless possibilities to develop and combine combat and magical skills will keep you occupied. Not to forget that different armor/weapon sets interact differently with your skills, so...

AwRy108

cleveridea said:
so...can anyone confirm how well the PS3 version runs in 1080? Was surprised when IGN review mentioned it had better graphics, I already bought and played the 360 version though.

this game really surprised me, its a weird combination of boring-but-addictive. the frame rate kinda sucks outside, and the controls are sluggish (and auto attack) but man is the game huge

Game seems to run well in 1080p--I haven't tried scaling it back to 720p to compare.

I'm playing as a Temple Guardian, so the game starts up on top of a high place for him and the framerate was quite jittery; however, once I scaled down the temple and onto ground level, things smoothed out considerably.

Anyone who says that this game has a smooth, stable framerate is a fool; however, that being said, I've played the game for like 10 hours, and it's never once become unplayable due to framerate. I even have the PC version, which I can run a max settings, 1680x1050, 70-80fps, but the PS3 version's lower framerate and less detailed textures don't bother me one bit. I think it's because I enjoy playing the game much more with a controller, on the couch, in front of my 46" LCD. Make sense?

Well I bought the game (on PS3) based on this thread. It's awesome, been waiting so long for something like this on the consoles.

Love the soundtrack ! I wish someone told me earlier the soundtrack was this awesome.

I need to read about the abilities and classes since I have no idea what I'm supposed to take. Made a Shadow Warrior, it seems like a WoW Death Knight. but I'll play with all the classes to get a feel.

Thrakier

AwRy108 said:
Game seems to run well in 1080p--I haven't tried scaling it back to 720p to compare.

I'm playing as a Temple Guardian, so the game starts up on top of a high place for him and the framerate was quite jittery; however, once I scaled down the temple and onto ground level, things smoothed out considerably.

Anyone who says that this game has a smooth, stable framerate is a fool; however, that being said, I've played the game for like 10 hours, and it's never once become unplayable due to framerate. I even have the PC version, which I can run a max settings, 1680x1050, 70-80fps, but the PS3 version's lower framerate and less detailed textures don't bother me one bit. I think it's because I enjoy playing the game much more with a controller, on the couch, in front of my 46" LCD. Make sense?

Makes sense. However what setting do you use for the camera? Is the framerate much worse in the coop camera setting? I still have the option to buy 360 instead and I just GUSS that's it's a bit better. Sadly we don't have any reports and detailed comparisons.

Ricker

About starting a character on Bronze and wanting to go Silver and not lose any quests or level,you just need to select "Start" instead of continue and make sure "Continue campaign is your choice at the next screen.

PuMa

Metalic Sand said:
There is Uniques which are a orangish color. legendarys are yellow i think and drop occasionally. Greens are set items. Blues are just the regular rares.

Uniques= Best
Set items=2nd
Legendarys
Rares

I could be wrong in the order with Uniques/Set items.

That's not true for the console versions actually. PS3 and 360 have the stupid star indicators instead.

Thrakier said:
Makes sense. However what setting do you use for the camera? Is the framerate much worse in the coop camera setting? I still have the option to buy 360 instead and I just GUSS that's it's a bit better. Sadly we don't have any reports and detailed comparisons.

I use the "static camera" in the options menu so that my character always remains in the center of the screen and it doesn't just spin around when I change directions. I can still adjust the camera manually when I want.

As for the co-op. it stll runs at a decent framerate the majority of the time regardless of how many people are playing it seems. It isn't 60FPS all the time, but it is easily around 30, maybe dipping into the 20s sometimes. But it never becomes a slide show or something like those choppy framerates you are used to in a lot of last gen games. You might notice a drop from time to time, but it doesn't effect the gameplay and it isn't very big.

Edit: I'm playing the 360 version. Can't comment on the framerate on the PS3.

Kingpen

EternalGamer said:
I use the "static camera" in the options menu so that my character always remains in the center of the screen and it doesn't just spin around when I change directions. I can still adjust the camera manually when I want.

I immediately changed to the static camera as well, and it has helped out a ton.

I love this game

combat is ultra simple: point->click->dead. For stronger enemies simply hold the attack button. You can put spells on the face buttons, they basically work the same: point->click->magic->dead

Those are the basics, but there are some pretty cool advanced options. For example, you can set up a "combo" where you bind a bunch of moves together. For example, if you want your character to cast a stun spell then a lightening spell followed by fire, you can crate a combo that does jus that and then bind it to a single button. So whenever you press "Y" or "Triangle" you character will cast those spells in the order you set them up in.

Tom Penny

Can somebody explain why on earth this game is getting 6-7 scores? It doesn't seem justified. Bottom line is this worth buying if I liked Baldur's Gate and Champions of Norath? Is the game easier to play on console then PC. Can anyone confirm this?

vilmer_

I've logged about 15 hours so far, and I'm loving every single second of it. The only problem that I've had is during a co-op game where the game has totally frozen a couple of times. Has anyone else playing the 360 version had any sudden hard locks? This really sucks because we lose all progress since the last save :/

Tom Penny said:
Can somebody explain why on earth this game is getting 6-7 scores? It doesn't seem justified. Bottom line is this worth buying if I liked Baldur's Gate and Champions of Norath? Is the game easier to play on console then PC. Can anyone confirm this?

It didn't get a 6 or 7 from everybody. 1up gave it an "-A." Apparently the major complaint is that it doesn't have amazing production values. It is essentially Champions of Norath in HD with a massive overworld and a lot more character customization.

As far as comparing the console controls to the PC controls, I can't speak for the later, but on console, it works great. You have 12 hotkey buttons that you can put anything you want on:

-The 4 face buttons.
-Left Trigger + the 4 Face Buttons
-Right Trigger + the 4 Face Buttons

This leaves you with 12 buttons that you can put any abilities you want on from melee weapons to throwing daggers or pistols to magic spells. You an even create a "combo" that casts severl different spells in a row and bind that to a button.

The rest of the controls are pretty standard:

Left Stick- Move
Right Stick - Camera
D-pad - potions
Left Bumper - pick up stuff
Right Bumper - Inventory menues
Start Button - Options menus
Back Button - World Map

The only thing that might take getting used to is that you HOLD DOWN the buttons to keep attacking. You don't need to hit it rapidly or rhythmically like in Baldur's Gate or Norath.

Controls great, plays great. No real reason why if you liked Baldur's Gate or Norath and you want more, you wouldnt' love this game.

Thrakier

Brashnir said:
the difference between the two is massive on 360. I imagine it's similar on PS3, given the post we had about it earlier.

This would suck big time. I don't want to run my PS3 @720p all the time just because of S2. Damn Sony...or Ascaron. Your choice. Why default to 1080p when the performance is shitty? Could actually someone with the PS3 version test this?

A few things, this question seems to be asked alot, to change difficulty on the fly, do not hit CONTINUE on the Main Menu, instead, select your character then on the main menu go to CREATE GAME, if your character is selected one of the options in the CREATE GAME MENU will be Contine Campaign from there you can mod your difficulty level as well as change your online settings. Hope that helps.

GreekWolf

Tom Penny said:
Another issue was that many early console reviews were based on non-retail copies of the game, which were still littered with game-crashing bugs, graphical glitches and frame-rate hitches.

After numerous complaints, IGN made a half-hearted attempt to adjust their score, after securing a retail copy, but (not surprisingly) only added .3 to their review.

Thrakier said:
This would suck big time. I don't want to run my PS3 @720p all the time just because of S2. Damn Sony...or Ascaron. Your choice. Why default to 1080p when the performance is shitty? Could actually someone with the PS3 version test this?

I'm not playing the PS3 version, but I don't really see what the big deal is. I have a 50" plasma and I can barely tell the difference between 720P and 1080P. In fact, I'm pretty sure my PS3 is still set to 720P from when I hooked it up to a different set. If it really bothers you, it doesn't take more than 10 seconds to switch it back after play, but personally, I would just leave it at 720P, despite Sony's marketing hype, 1080P is not really a big deal unless you have a massive TV or projector.

Ledsen

HiResDes said:
If the melee combat is simpler than Oblivion I might be turned off, you can't block or parry attacks at all?

This game has nothing to do with Oblivion, haven't you played Diablo? Loot games tend to have this kind of combat.

Thrakier

EternalGamer said:
I'm not playing the PS3 version, but I don't really see what the big deal is. I have a 50" plasma and I can barely tell the difference between 720P and 1080P. In fact, I'm pretty sure my PS3 is still set to 720P from when I hooked it up to a different set. If it really bothers you, it doesn't take more than 10 seconds to switch it back after play, but personally, I would just leave it at 720P, despite Sony's marketing hype, 1080P is not really a big deal unless you have a massive TV or projector.

I don't know about your TV but if the material is actually 1080p like Blu-Rays, the PS-Menus, some PSN-Games I can see a HUGE difference.

HiResDes said:
If the melee combat is simpler than Oblivion I might be turned off, you can't block or parry attacks at all?

Then you might not like this game. The strategy comes in deciding WHAT weapons or abilities to use and what to upgrade. Not in dodging around enemies (though you sometimes do need to retreat).

You can "block" by equipping a shield (or a shield and sword on the same button), but it is basically automatic when you hold down the button. This is not an action game, it is an action RPG meaning the events happen in real time, but the focus is not on your ability to input moves or dodge, it is on what you decide to use and the actual process of using it is somewhat automated.

If you have ever played Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, Champions of Norath, X-men Legends, or Marvel Ultimate Alliance, it is more like those games.

Dryad users!

Do shrunken heads get better at later levels, my Level 10 Dryad has a bunch of heads but they are all +5.8% to regeneration time, unacceptable. :D

Edit - I had a public game up last night but I was playing for about 2 hours already before anybody joined, all of a sudden three people join, I played for like 45 more minutes and then left, it doesn't dump them or anything when I leave, does it?

Thrakier said:
I don't know about your TV but if the material is actually 1080p like Blu-Rays, the PS-Menus, some PSN-Games I can see a HUGE difference.

Well, I'm not gong to get into an argument to tell you what you personally see or dont' see. I just know that, for the average person's vision, unless you are sitting only a few feet away on a massive TV, your eyes can't distinguish the difference.

Liberty4all

Banned
Anerythristic said:
Dryad users!

Do shrunken heads get better at later levels, my Level 10 Dryad has a bunch of heads but they are all +5.8% to regeneration time, unacceptable. :D

Edit - I had a public game up last night but I was playing for about 2 hours already before anybody joined, all of a sudden three people join, I played for like 45 more minutes and then left, it doesn't dump them or anything when I leave, does it?

Yes it does. (since you were the host)

Thrakier

EternalGamer said:
Well, I'm not gong to get into an argument to tell you what you personally see or dont' see. I just know that, for the average person's vision, unless you are sitting only a few feet away on a massive TV, your eyes can't distinguish the difference.

Did you actually compare native 1080p and 720p material? I can not see the difference between 720p and 1080p upscaled, but it's definitly huge for native material. I don't know about your eyesight though. ;)

Thrakier said:
Did you actually compare native 1080p and 720p material? I can not see the difference between 720p and 1080p upscaled, but it's definitly huge for native material. I don't know about your eyesight though. ;)

Yes, I was using a BluRay. I'm not saying I wouldn't be able to tell any difference, but I have to "study" the screen first. If I just walked into a room started watching TV normally, I probably even wouldn't notice if someone changed my settings.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I think the problem is having to uncheck 1080P every time you play Sacred 2 so that it won't default to 1080P and suffer performance-wise.

Thrakier

Yeah, whatever, in the end it doesn't matter. It's just a stpid thing to default to 1080p when 720p has a much better performance. And I'm quite sure that the game is NOT native 1080p.

@DenogginizerOS

Correct.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
So I just hit level 12 with my Shadow Warrior. I'm really loving the class. I'm thinking I'll go Dual Wield next time I get to allocate a skill slot. I just picked up Concentration, which you only need to ever put 1 point into, because SW's only have 2 buffs worth running at a time anyway.

The skeletal warriors you summon work great, I can often times just stand around and let them kill stuff, if I want to. I've mostly been hanging around the far southwest part of the map, killing pirates by the truckload and then tearing kobolds a new ass.

LOVE. THIS. GAME.

Just a fyi, there is a quest at the naval port that requires you to go into a dungeon to fight the undead and when you do, the game loads with a black screen and the hud. You can't see anything. I put in a ticket with the developer and they know about the problem and are working on a patch for it.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Diseased Yak said:
So I just hit level 12 with my Shadow Warrior. I'm really loving the class. I'm thinking I'll go Dual Wield next time I get to allocate a skill slot. I just picked up Concentration, which you only need to ever put 1 point into, because SW's only have 2 buffs worth running at a time anyway.

The skeletal warriors you summon work great, I can often times just stand around and let them kill stuff, if I want to. I've mostly been hanging around the far southwest part of the map, killing pirates by the truckload and then tearing kobolds a new ass.

LOVE. THIS. GAME.
Which version? What resolution? Have you had any performance issues with the game?

AwRy108

Flyguy said:
I really want this game now, but I've vowed to shrink by backlog and this would monopolize my time and put an end to that endeavor. I must remain strong.

Sacred 2 will bury your backlog, trust me. If you have other priorities, steer clear of Sacred 2 until they're taken care of.

Ashenor

Nice, my Shadow Warrior is lvl 11 atm. I will have to put a point in concentration so i can run both the buffs.

So far i have been increasing Tactics, duel wield mostly, i have dropped a few points into swords armor lore also.

AwRy108

HiResDes said:

It is: Sacred 2's combat is a mix of Diablo II and WoW.

But the loot and character stats/progression are about a million times more in-depth than Oblivion.

I loved Oblivion; but I also love Sacred 2. Let's hope they don't bump into each other somewhere...

AwRy108

Tom Penny said:

...because the media feels the need to take points away based on "lack of innovation".

Don't be a fool: read the actual review text and see why the score is lower than expected. For instance, even if the game is the best action-RPG ever, the reviewer might be burnt out on Diablo II and Titan Quest. See my point?

Concept17

Anerythristic said:
Dryad users!

I also have yet to find any better ones. But the combat art, Animus Morbis(sp?) uses them. Basically, it summons whatever creature's head you're carrying. Right now I have a Shrunken Undead Head, so now I've got a sweet zombie that helps me kill stuff.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Just a fyi, there is a quest at the naval port that requires you to go into a dungeon to fight the undead and when you do, the game loads with a black screen and the hud. You can't see anything. I put in a ticket with the developer and they know about the problem and are working on a patch for it.

Are you playing on the 360 or the PS3? I just want to avoid the glitch and was wondering which system (if not both) the problem occurs on. Thanks for the heads up.

EternalGamer said:
Are you playing on the 360 or the PS3? I just want to avoid the glitch and was wondering which system (if not both) the problem occurs on. Thanks for the heads up.

From what I understand its both. Don't know for sure though I'm on 360. Also the game doesn't hard lock or anything, so you can still warp out with the map. So I wouldn't worry too much. :D

Concept17 said:
I also have yet to find any better ones. But the combat art, Animus Morbis(sp?) uses them. Basically, it summons whatever creature's head you're carrying. Right now I have a Shrunken Undead Head, so now I've got a sweet zombie that helps me kill stuff.

Yeah, this is the class that I am sticking with. The manual makes her out to be a "for advanced players" class, so untrue, she is very solid.

Alot of the Cabalistic Voodoo magic gets bonuses for the shrunken heads you are wearing.

The Capricious Hunter aspect is also a must in my opinion because it focuses on her using ranged weapons and that is what the class does best.

I have Ranged Weapons as a skill of course, combine that with Darting Assault while the Sinister Predator buff is active and you easily drop 2 to 3 enemies in a mob before they even move on you.

I am not going to focus on the Nature Weaver Aspect as the only spell I think I will miss is Goldenglade Touch...oh well...GOOD GAME BITCHES.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
DenogginizerOS said:
Which version? What resolution? Have you had any performance issues with the game?

I'm playing it on the 360, but I also have a 80-something level Inquisitor on the PC. The 360 version runs pretty well, though I notice some tearing some times, but even that is mostly just a quick line across the screen, nothing too heavy. The graphics on the whole look great to me, I was really surprised at how well it looks when compared to the PC version, which I run fully cranked at 1920x1200.

Top Bottom