• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sacred 2 |OT| Lootwhores of all Platforms, Unite!

Xenon

Diseased Yak said:
So I just hit level 12 with my Shadow Warrior. I'm really loving the class. I'm thinking I'll go Dual Wield next time I get to allocate a skill slot. I just picked up Concentration, which you only need to ever put 1 point into, because SW's only have 2 buffs worth running at a time anyway.

The skeletal warriors you summon work great, I can often times just stand around and let them kill stuff, if I want to. I've mostly been hanging around the far southwest part of the map, killing pirates by the truckload and then tearing kobolds a new ass.

LOVE. THIS. GAME.

YES! I picked the Shadow Warrior thinking he was just the fighter class. Finding out he is a necromancer was awesome. The coolest thing is I can go through my inventory and the Skeletons take care of any wandering monsters.

Now that I got a handle on the on how slotting, runes and abilities the game has its hooks in me. I ended up playing until 2am last night.

My biggest problem is inventory management. If the LB just scrolled through my current inventory of like items it would be perfect. So if I was looking at a sword, the button would bring up a window below it and each time I pressed it it would cycle through other items. I dont like buying stuff from the stores because its too much of a pain in the ass. Its not even close to being a game killer.

I have the 360 version. It runs well, better since I set the camera to static. I cannot stress enough how much better the game feels with a static camera. I do get some clipping. I did have the game freeze on me but I waited a minute or two and it started working again. Frame rate has not been an issue at all as of yet. My dude just starts walking sometimes. Loading is periodic when you go from area to area and is mostly just a slight pause.

This my favorite genre. Having a game of this quality on a console is heaven!!

Kingpen

I picked the chick that is good with weapons / a little magic and can heal (saphyth or something like that)

Being that she is the white-mage class of the game, I think I'm going to start a new character to get a little more raw.

Thats Shadow Warrior sounds pretty cool, but so does the archer and also either of the magic users.

Tobor

Reposting the answers to the most common questions for a new page:

1. YES THE GAME IS AWESOME.

2. 360 and PS3, either will work fine.

3. YES, if you loved Baldur's Gate DA and Champions of Norrath, you will love Sacred 2.

4. JUST BUY IT ALREADY.

GreekWolf

I think this is officially the "biggest damn surprise that came out of nowhere" GOTY.

You could literally spend 10 hours in one small corner of the map, running quests, exploring dungeons and farming loot/exp without even seeing 99% of the game world.

AwRy108

Tom Penny said:
Is it true the enemies auto level with you like Oblivion. I read that on another board and think that is pretty damn lame.

The enemies do auto-level with you, but it's not nearly as noticeable as it is in Oblivion. Also, Magic Resistances are important in Sacred 2, so even with auto-leveling, enemies can be bowled over if you pay attention to your stats.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
Thrakier said:
Which version?

Also, did anyone check if there is really a performance difference between 720p and 1080p on PS3?

Sorry, 360 version for me....

Artadius

Tom Penny said:
Is it true the enemies auto level with you like Oblivion. I read that on another board and think that is pretty damn lame.

Yes, to a certain extent. For example a kobold might autolevel with you up to level 6 in Bronze difficulty. From that point on, they won't level with you anymore. So every area and every creature (and every difficulty level) has predetermined 'rules' that govern the creatures levels.

It is nowhere near as intrusive as it is in Oblivion.

Kauza

Artadius said:
Yes, to a certain extent. For example a kobold might autolevel with you up to level 6 in Bronze difficulty. From that point on, they won't level with you anymore. So every area and every creature (and every difficulty level) has predetermined 'rules' that govern the creatures levels.

I feel like it's actually a benefit in a game like this, as it ensures that you won't be fighting through bunches of enemies that are at such a low level that you won't be gaining any experience from them. I think you're right: the way they've implemented it seems smart.

Tom Penny

Artadius said:

I'm running out reason to not buy this game. I guess i'm going to have to. I think i'll get the PS3 version so I can lounge in my recliner instead of click away with mouse.

1080p on PS3 seems solid to me.

I played local co-op for 2 hours last night and framerate was solid.

The only problem I saw was the hideous tearing. It only happened a few times but it was pretty bad.

Tom Penny said:
I'm running out reason to not buy this game. I guess i'm going to have to. I think i'll get the PS3 version so I can lounge in my recliner instead of click away with mouse.

I have the original Sacred for the PC and I bought Sacred 2 for the PS3, these hack n slash games transfer over to console just fine, no worries.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Oh man, I just hit level 16 with my SW, I've spent the whole game so far (~5 hours) down in the southwest corner. You just keep finding new shit. I was looking at the map and noticed a road leading up into the mountains. I made my way up there, and found a temple. One of the priests said that cultists had taken over, including his superior the Head Priest. In going into the temple proper, if you inspect some statues there it says "That doesn't look like it belongs in a Temple of the Gods..." some demonic looking thing.

So I wipe out the cultists and the priest thanks me, but says I'm not finished. Seems the High Priest sold off a holy artifact to an unscrupulous mage. I head off, going down south to a cave filled with giant rats and such, find the mage, kill him, and then return the artifact.

The above is a prime example of this game. You set off to do one thing and end up doing 100's of other things just by accidentally stumbling upon them. There are so many side quests you forget about the main one entirely.

I mentioned before I was thinking of going Dual Wield with my Shadow Warrior. Well, I just found a 2-star two-handed hammer that is changing my mind. The damage tops out at 362! Plus when I crit it shakes the whole screen and vibrates the controller!

(sorry to gush, I love this game)

AwRy108

Diseased Yak said:
I mentioned before I was thinking of going Dual Wield with my Shadow Warrior. Well, I just found a 2-star two-handed hammer that is changing my mind. The damage tops out at 362! Plus when I crit it shakes the whole screen and vibrates the controller!

(sorry to gush, I love this game)

Wow, I want to see that hammer--are you playing on PS3?

Thrakier

KernelPanic said:
1080p on PS3 seems solid to me.

I played local co-op for 2 hours last night and framerate was solid.

The only problem I saw was the hideous tearing. It only happened a few times but it was pretty bad.

"A few times" means...?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
AwRy108 said:
Wow, I want to see that hammer--are you playing on PS3?

Yup like Loudninja said, 360. It looks like a giant red two-handed hammer, kinda rust colored, the head of which is bigger than my dude's head. Has some neat designs on it as well. It's slow but very powerful. I'm killing Kobolds and such with 1 hit, and "champion" monsters go down with 2 or 3 swings.

Edit for stats:

Hero's Great Hammer of the Gods
79-122 damage
Modifiers:
Hafted Weapons
Scything Sweep +3
Combat Arts +3
Opponents Armor: Physical -12.7%

Under the Overview tab it shows my overall damage to be 301-362 with that thing equipped.

Thrakier

A dev on the german Sacred 2 boards (responsible for the PS3 version) just said, that the game ALWAYS renders in 1080p, no matter which resolution you choose in the options. So it shouldn't make a difference regarding the framerate according to him.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Hmmm buy a pizza for dinner or buy Sacred 2.. GAF decides!

GreekWolf

dgenx said:
Hmmm buy a pizza for dinner or buy Sacred 2.. GAF decides!
Well, pizza will last one cycle through your bowels, but Sacred 2 is forever! No, really, it does last forever... have you seen that freaking map?

Tobor

Tom Penny said:

That's because there are none. Buy it.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Ok Ok I'm gonna buy it before class...

Damn you guys should sell stuff for a living

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Thrakier said:
A dev on the german Sacred 2 boards (responsible for the PS3 version) just said, that the game ALWAYS renders in 1080p, no matter which resolution you choose in the options. So it shouldn't make a difference regarding the framerate according to him.

That is nice, because SD TV owners get lots of nice FSAA.

According to what the dev says you should get a bit more slowdown with lower resolutions and not less (as down-sampling the buffer does take time).

AwRy108

Thrakier said:

Wow dude, you're really hung up on the "720p vs. 1080p" argument, aren't you?. Are you even going to buy the game, or just hang around in the GAF thread and watch everyone else enjoying the game?

No offense: the two versions are nearly identical, so just go buy the game on the console you'll play the most on, and have some freekin' fun! If you get the PS3 version, share your PSN ID and I'll add you to my Friends List.

dgenx

Can I start a game online and the play single player with the same character?

Also Tobor, that was perv

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
AwRy108 said:
Wow dude, you're really hung up on the "720p vs. 1080p" argument, aren't you?. Are you even going to buy the game, or just hang around in the GAF thread and watch everyone else enjoying the game?

No offense: the two versions are nearly identical, so just go buy the game on the console you'll play the most on, and have some freekin' fun! If you get the PS3 version, share your PSN ID and I'll add you to my Friends List.

This is what he does, lol. Which I mean with no ill harm.

Thrakier

AwRy108 said:

I would love to buy the game. It's just not out in Europe yet. ;)

Yeah, I'll get the PS3-Version.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Just took down my first boss, the Kobold Chieftain. Dude had mad hp and regen'd it like a motherfucker but I got him in the end. I have 3 skeletal warriors following me around, it's a hoot hearing them kill stuff as I'm rummaging around in my inventory.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Diseased Yak said:
Just took down my first boss, the Kobold Chieftain. Dude had mad hp and regen'd it like a motherfucker but I got him in the end. I have 3 skeletal warriors following me around, it's a hoot hearing them kill stuff as I'm rummaging around in my inventory.

Is he the guy that trys to drop a stone on your head? I love that guy.

We should post the main class/es we are playing. See if we can stop talking about technical specs and get a little community going.

PSN: Anerythristic

Level: 10 Dryad / Level 13 High Elf

Headset - Yes

I might try to get a game going tonight around 8pm Eastern Time, though I am not sure how long I can play...if anybody was playing tonight doesn't care about hosting let me know either way.

rcl66

Played SP and made it to level 7 - then I joined a friends game for some 3 player co-op. It worked great, except when I went back to my SP game all my quests were gone and selecting continue started a new game with my same character. I still had my xp and loot but I had to do quests again and run back to where I had made it in SP.

Anyone else see this? Bug or is that how MP works? If so I may need to create a seperate MP character.

vilmer_

I have to say, I won't be buying another game for a LONG time! Playing as The Inquisitor (currently at level 21), and I'm working on my Callous Execution for single targets and Ruthless Mutilation for groups as a primary melee build. We've been doing co-op for like 20 hours now, and it still feels like we're just scratching the surface. I don't see any other game topping this for my personal GOTY.

Kauza

Anerythristic said:
We should post the main class/es we are playing. See if we can stop talking about technical specs and get a little community going.

PSN: Anerythristic

Level: 10 Dryad / Level 13 High Elf

Headset - Yes

I might try to get a game going tonight around 8pm Eastern Time, though I am not sure how long I can play...if anybody was playing tonight doesn't care about hosting let me know either way.

That might be a good thing to throw into our meetup thread. That way I can update the OP and everyone can see who's what.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=360597

It'll be impossible to keep up with levels though, so maybe just listing the character type is better?

Has there been any word on how quickly the local co-op trade patch will be out? I want the game but I want it solely for local co-op and this is a bit of a deal breaker for me.

dgenx

Tobor said:
Yes, you can. And you haven't seen the SlapChop video?

:lol
I haven't seen that before

Also here comes THE question.

Is is better than Fallout 3?

Alivor

dgenx said:

Tough call...

I know some people are going to call me crazy, but I'm going to have to say yes. Fallout 3 may have better graphics, and be more polished, but Sacred 2 wins in my eyes. I like Sacred 2's combat better, and there's a lot more armor and stuff in Sacred 2. There's mounts in Sacred 2 as well, and a bunch of classes to fit your playstyle. Sacred 2 has A LOT of quests too, and the world is huge. I'm not sure how big it is, but I've put in about 6 hours so far and have probably explored about 5-7% of the map, at the very most.

I think what I like most is how much loot there is. And the co-op is great too. 2 on the couch, or 4 online. Playing with 1 friend was awesome, I can only imagine how fun it would be with 3. This game is very underrated, the more I play the more I like it.

Thrakier said:
"A few times" means...?

Honestly I was so into the game last night I wasn't paying too much attention but I believe I saw it right when you leave the starting area as well as in mountain/hilly areas.

It was fine running around the map and in the one dungeon that I did.

vilmer_

dgenx said:

With Fallout 3, it started out great for me, but then as I progressed it felt more like a chore and I just wanted to finish it. With Sacred 2, to me it's a hack 'n slash orgasm of mega proportions and I just want MORE! So I'd say Sacred 2, but I'm kinda biased :p

Top Bottom