• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sacred 2 |OT| Lootwhores of all Platforms, Unite!

GreekWolf

Thrakier said:
Meh, is it so hard to make a PS3 port that runs with 30FPS? Seems so.
I'm pretty sure everyone has figured out by now that you buy a PS3 for incredible exclusives, created by top-notch devs who have both the time and resources to take full advantage of an extremely powerful but inordinately complicated CPU.

For multiplatform games, there's almost always some mild to moderate (and, in extreme cases, significant) advantage on the 360.

From what I've seen, though, the aesthetic/performance differences between the console versions of Sacred 2 are inconsequential. Just buy the damn game for whichever machine you prefer, and show your support for these kind of titles so we can get more of them.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Thrakier said:
Oh shit, shouldn't have read the gamespot review...

"Both the 360 and PS3 versions of the game are gorgeous, although the latter has a slightly choppier frame rate and is a little more jaggy."

Damn. Now I'm thinking again about which version I should buy... :(

Well since you have posted 20+ in this thread trying to convince yourself (others?) the PS3 version sucks, pick the 360 version and STFU about it.

They both run at 1080P, 1920x1080, one cannot be more "jaggy" unless the idiot reviewer has forced one system to 720P, but then it should have AA from the down sampling. As to the frame rate, both should be 30fps most of the time, now comparing them is going to be near impossible without being in the same spot casting the same spells with the same number of enemies on screen - so I would not take gamespot as some technical experts.

Thrakier

DeadGzuz said:
Well since you have posted 20+ in this thread trying to convince yourself (others?) the PS3 version sucks, pick the 360 version and STFU about it.

Sorry, it's just so hard to decide. XD And it's the same every fucking time because of inferior PS3 ports... *sigh* I suck at deciding.

They both run at 1080P, 1920x1080, one cannot be more "jaggy"

Why? 360 could have FSAA at 1080p?

DeadGzuz

Banned
Thrakier said:
Sorry, it's just so hard to decide. XD And it's the same every fucking time because of inferior PS3 ports... *sigh* I suck at deciding.

Why? 360 could have FSAA at 1080p?

You think the 360 version is 1080P with FSAA, despite what the devs have said? I gave a link directly to the dev saying the game was running at 1080P no AA on both platforms, they even got the PS3 running at 1080P first, this is not a sloppy port.

Justin

For people playing Shadow Warriors

Is the skill Grim Resilience passive? I put a rune it but it is always grayed out.

People were talking about waiting to dump runes into arts so the recast time does not skyrocket to fast but is there any reason to hold off using the runes that increase the summon skills as soon as you get them?

Any ideas on good attributes to focus on? I put the first few in vitality but have 3 unspent at the moment.

Does attack value increase the chance to hit? I miss a lot.

Loving the game!

bjaelke

Justin said:
For people playing Shadow Warriors

Is the skill Grim Resilience passive? I put a rune it but it is always grayed out.

People were talking about waiting to dump runes into arts so the recast time does not skyrocket to fast but is there any reason to hold off using the runes that increase the summon skills as soon as you get them?

Any ideas on good attributes to focus on? I put the first few in vitality but have 3 unspent at the moment.

Does attack value increase the chance to hit? I miss a lot.

Loving the game!
Grim Resilience is a buff. You can only have 1 buff active at any time unless you spent points on Concentration (skill). So you need to turn of your current buff before you can use GR.

Llyranor

I realize the game has 2p offline and 4p online, but can you combine both? Eg. 2 players on one Xbox, connected to other players via Live.

Artadius

Llyranor said:
I realize the game has 2p offline and 4p online, but can you combine both? Eg. 2 players on one Xbox, connected to other players via Live.

Yes, I believe both local players would need Gold though...

Justin

bjaelke said:
Grim Resilience is a buff. You can only have 1 buff active at any time unless you spent points on Concentration (skill). So you need to turn of your current buff before you can use GR.

So I assume then that the summons count as buffs?

Xenon

WOW, I this game just keeps surprising me. I just found out that there is a Survival Bonus stat in the genral overview. It rewards players with better loot for not dying.

btw, whats a Buff?

edit: Thanks bjaelke

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Also keep in mind that while buffs gift your hero with constant improvements while active(the little icon below the lifebar signifies its working), they also have the unfortunate side-effect of nearly doubling your global cooldown rates for abilities.

Shouldn't sway you from keeping at least one active at all times though, the effect of having a constant companion or greatly improved attack speed/damage mitigates being able to cast a combat spell a few seconds earlier.

Xenon

Brandon F said:
Also keep in mind that while buffs gift your hero with constant improvements while active(the little icon below the lifebar signifies its working), they also have the unfortunate side-effect of nearly doubling your global cooldown rates for abilities.

Shouldn't sway you from keeping at least one active at all times though, the effect of having a constant companion or greatly improved attack speed/damage mitigates being able to cast a combat spell a few seconds earlier.

Yeah, thats one of the reasons I haven't pumped up my Nether Allgiance on my SW. The delay Re-gen time jumps up pretty fast. They still are holding their own for now so I dont see the need =)

AwRy108

DeadGzuz said:
They both run at 1080P, 1920x1080, one cannot be more "jaggy" unless the idiot reviewer has forced one system to 720P, but then it should have AA from the down sampling. As to the frame rate, both should be 30fps most of the time, now comparing them is going to be near impossible without being in the same spot casting the same spells with the same number of enemies on screen - so I would not take gamespot as some technical experts.

...plus, I wonder if they tested the fps at the same spots in both versions? For instance, the Temple Guardian campaign starts on top of a temple (duh!) and the framerate is probably average like 20-23fps; but as soon as you get down to ground level, things really smooth out to that average 30 fps.

Besides, yeah, GameSpot is hardly the place I'd go for technical advice.

In any event, I've been playing the PS3 version for like 10 hours, and the framerate has never dipped to the point at which things are unplayable.

I wish the f*ckin' media would stop comparing cross-platform games--all it does is cause unnecessary controversy. Anyway, the day you show me a 360 game that can match the visuals of Uncharted 2 or Killzone 2, then maybe I'll start bitching about the PS3's power.

FrankT

Putting aside how each run I of course already have my copy not really caring at this point, but more to the point did they really get native 1080p out of these? I know we've seen that tossed around before but I would like to know if the beyond3d guys have tested them? I like to keep up with what games this gen have managed such a feat.

Concept17

Tom Penny said:
I hope you guys don't fail me. I was a big Baldur's gate fan. I traded KZ2 and 2 games and got it for this for $5 :D

Not worth trading in KZ2. But you won't regret picking it up regardless.

Unfortunately I've only managed to get my Dryad up to level 12, and I'm having second thoughts about the class. My concern that I wouldn't be able to effectively switch between ranged and melee throughout the entire game appears to be becoming true. I can see it being plausible in later levels when you're getting 5 SP per level, but right now, I just sit back, hold A, and unleash a million darts into enemies. On top of that, there seem to be nothing but 'gun' drops for Dryads. I've probly picked up 2 dozen of them, and like 3 bows. I also started my campaign on bronze, to which I've now restarted on Silver...which is more enjoyable... but I feel less compelled to do all the side quests I originally did.

So now I'm considering my level 4 Inquisitor or starting a Temple Guardian. I have no desire to play the Seraphim or Shadow Warrior.

Any Inquisitors or Temple Guardian around here that can give me a general idea for the feel of each class?

GreekWolf

AwRy108 said:
Anyway, the day you show me a 360 game that can match the visuals of Uncharted 2 or Killzone 2, then maybe I'll start bitching about the PS3's power.
And just like that, we have teh console warz in a thread that certainly doesn't need it. Danke.

Xenon said:
WOW, I this game just keeps surprising me. I just found out that there is a Survival Bonus stat in the genral overview. It rewards players with better loot for not dying.
Not only that, but your combat dmg output gradually increases the longer you stay alive. It's quite an incentive for not bum-rushing every mob you see.

AwRy108

GreekWolf said:
And just like that, we have teh console warz in a thread that certainly doesn't need it. Danke.

Sorry, that wasn't my intention; I was just feeding off of an fps / cross-platform argument that someone else started. Should've just left it alone.

Your post at the top of the page was well stated, so let's just run with that.

AwRy108

I wonder if the console versions will get holiday-specific content like the PC version did?

I got some awesome Christmas-themed gear on 12/25/08 for my Temple Guardian because Ascaron added a great Christmas-based quest line for the holiday. I remember finding a one-handed Candy Cane club and Snowballs as throwing weapons.

GreekWolf

AwRy108 said:
Sorry, that wasn't my intention; I was just feeding off of an fps / cross-platform argument that someone else started. Should've just left it alone.

Your post at the top of the page was well stated, so let's just run with that.
No biggie, I was just worried that Drinky might accidentally stumble his way in here and commence the coconut-slinging.

BTW, I lurve this game so much I'm buying both versions. :D

HiResDes

AwRy108 said:
It is: Sacred 2's combat is a mix of Diablo II and WoW.

But the loot and character stats/progression are about a million times more in-depth than Oblivion.

I loved Oblivion; but I also love Sacred 2. Let's hope they don't bump into each other somewhere...
I didn't mean to pit the two against each other that was certainly not my intent. Oblivion was simply the first example that popped into my mind that I could use to explain my preference. I guess I just wish I could have my cake and eat it to.

Concept17 said:
Any Inquisitors or Temple Guardian around here that can give me a general idea for the feel of each class?

Temple Guardian is awesome. As I said before, he reminds me of the ranger from Phantasy Star Online. He uses long range laser, but has some decent close up melee spells as well. The flamethrower and satellite laser my my standbys with him. I just restarted with an Inquisitor (who I named "Dick Cheney") and it is way harder. Mostly because it seems he has to be really close for most of his early spells. Mostly, I play him middle range. staying about 5-10 feet from the enemies so I can combo them with the flamethrower and satellite laser. If there are large groups, though, I can herd them with lasers and he does alright close up too. If you want someone you an play at various ranges, he's a good choice.

Brannon

"Yeah this map isn't so big; I'm making great progress"

*one hour later*

"Let's check the map... fuck. What have I gotten myself into?"

That map is deceptive; the land is huge, like the new Enterprise huge. This may take a while...

On an off note, I really need an HDTV, but my VGA monitor will do for now.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Well I am now the 2nd person I know to have had their save data corrupted and characters lost. Playing online causes all kinds of problems for me. I might just have to craigslist it since it appears online play is not an option for me.

Brannon said:
"Yeah this map isn't so big; I'm making great progress"

*one hour later*

"Let's check the map... fuck. What have I gotten myself into?"

That map is deceptive; the land is huge, like the new Enterprise huge. This may take a while...

On an off note, I really need an HDTV, but my VGA monitor will do for now.

This is one warning that should be issued. I can't imagine the text is very readable on a non-HD TV. It's hard to make out sometimes on my 50" Plasma.

Coldsnap said:
Can someone explain the online multiplayer camera? It looks to be a bit like Fable II's and thats worrying me.

Nothing like Fable. You are not tied to the other people at all. You can be 100 miles away from them doing something completely different. However, I do recommend switching to "static" camera which keeps your guy in the center of the screen at all times.

Coldsnap

EternalGamer said:
Nothing like Fable. You are not tied to the other people at all. You can be 100 miles away from them doing something completely different. However, I do recommend switching to "static" camera which keeps your guy in the center of the screen at all times.

awesome, thanks! Does the static camera give you a bit of a zoomed in view?

Coldsnap said:
awesome, thanks! Does the static camera give you a bit of a zoomed in view?

You can adjust the zoom manually with the Right stick. You can have it zoomed in really close to where your character is about half the screen tall, or far out where he is a couple of inches. I like to keep it about in the middle.

You can still turn the camera however you want with the static camera with the right stick. It just means the camera doesn't automatically turn when you turn, you just stay in the center of the screen at all times.

_tetsuo_ said:
Well I am now the 2nd person I know to have had their save data corrupted and characters lost. Playing online causes all kinds of problems for me. I might just have to craigslist it since it appears online play is not an option for me.

Well, if it is a problem, it is a pretty rare one. You are the first person I've seen out of the hundreds of people that I've seen posting on various message boards (Sacred 2 board, Neogaf, Colony of Gamers, etc.). I'm playing with three friends and we've all put in a number of hours with different characters and haven't had a problem yet except for some very minor glitches.

Which system are you playing on?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
DenogginizerOS said:
I just picked up the PS3 version. I hope this game doesn't take time away from inFamous.:D

I'm thinking of picking up the PS3 version too (crazyperson) for co-op play since I like it so much and I thought the Infamous demo was boring. Look out for me if you want to co-op.

I've played the game with a number of different character classes and styles now and the thing I realize that I like the best about the game is the controls. The way you can customize all the spells/abilities/attacks to the face buttons to give you access to 12 instantly is fantastic and the way you can bind one button to a 'combo" (where you set a queue of which spells to cast) to one of these buttons is also great.

But it is the little things they did with the controls that make them really work. For example, I really like the fact that, if your spell hasn't regenerated yet, your character will default into a normal attack regardless rather than just standing there looking stupid. And if you hold down that button, he will keep regular attacking until you get enough for that spell again and it will automatically cast.

They have found a way to take a pretty complex PC keyboard controls and fit them onto a controller to make them work even better with dual analog controls (instant character movement and camera). I Think Tom Chick is right in his 1up review, the console version is an improvement in terms of controls. Now if we can just get all those cool expansions and download content. I hope enough people buy this to make it worth their while to give us that stuff on the consoles.

I've played it single player the last hour or so, and I actually like some of the humor in the characters and quests. It's a little quiter paced than playing online with my friends. And the game holds up both single player and multiplayer. It's possible that I might tire of it before I complete all six billion of the quests and explore all of the map, but I'll definitely get my money's worth out of it way before then.

Tom Penny

Concept17 said:
Not worth trading in KZ2. But you won't regret picking it up regardless.

If I thought KZ2 was any good I wouldn't have traded it in ;) The game is pretty good. I wish their was a tutorial in the game though.

Tom Penny said:
If I thought KZ2 was any good I wouldn't have traded it in ;) The game is pretty good. I wish their was a tutorial in the game though.

If you read all the texts, some of the quests do have tutorials in them. However, I agree that the game nor the manual doesn't do the best job explaining things. I figured out a lot of stuff by reading people's posts on this and other forums. Actually your character his or her self will often give you tips if you listen to them. For example, if they are fighting enemies that do a certain type of damage, the character might say "I need better protection against fire damage."

Kingpen

Concept17 said:
So now I'm considering my level 4 Inquisitor or starting a Temple Guardian. I have no desire to play the Seraphim or Shadow Warrior.

I started over from a Saraphim and now am playing the strong mage class (the skinny girl). I'm having a lot more fun with the combat because I have to be pretty strategic to not get ganged up on. I think the bow class would have been fun as well.

Ricker

Xenon said:

:lol I took care of that pretty fast,on Silver with my TG,I died on the first ennemy in the game :D

Kingpen said:
I started over from a Saraphim and now am playing the strong mage class (the skinny girl). I'm having a lot more fun with the combat because I have to be pretty strategic to not get ganged up on. I think the bow class would have been fun as well.

I think all the classes, I've seen are pretty cool so far. But I haven't played or played with anyone using a Seraphim or a Dryad yet. The Shadow Warrior gets armies of skeletons and turrets to carry around with him. The Temple Guardian has cool tech like satellite lasers, flame throwers etc. The Inquisitor has some pretty cool close combat spells (including Emperor Palpatine Lightening hands). And the High Elf is all around solid with cool magic effect spells like creating blizzards.

I already have two characters, I think I'm going to start a 3rd soon, a Dryad or Seraphim. One cool thing about this game is that seems that it doesn't take more than an hour or two before you start getting some pretty cool spells regardless of your class. This might be common for PC games of this style, but coming from someone that has only played console action RPGs, I can say that these special abilities and effects in this game blow the shit of the puny stuff you get in games like Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance and Champions of Norath. We are talking about the different between "different colored projectiles" in those games and creating a freaking blizzard, summoning a dragon, or an army of skeletons in this one.

vilmer_

I know it seems trivial, but my ONLY complaint thus far is the star system instead of colour coding on loot. I wonder why they changed it for the consoles? One of my favourite aspects of this genre is the excitement on the spot of epic loot dropz! Oh well, hopefully in a patch.

vilmer_ said:
I know it seems trivial, but my ONLY complaint thus far is the star system instead of colour coding on loot. I wonder why they changed it for the consoles? One of my favourite aspects of this genre is the excitement on the spot of epic loot dropz! Oh well, hopefully in a patch.

I've seen this complaint a lot and I guess it is Wow players? Having not played Wow or other MMOs, for me the star system is a lot more intuitive. Everybody can easily tell that 1 stars to 4 stars means, color coding is more obscure.

Top Bottom