• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sacred 2 |OT| Lootwhores of all Platforms, Unite!

vilmer_

EternalGamer said:
I've seen this complaint a lot and I guess it is Wow players? Having not played Wow or other MMOs, for me the star system is a lot more intuitive. Everybody can easily tell that 1 stars to 4 stars means, color coding is more obscure.

It probably comes from my old Diablo addiction :p I wouldn't say get rid of the star system, it's fine. With colour coding, you know instantly what quality item drops and I became so accustomed to it. Colour and stars living in harmony!

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
EternalGamer said:
Well, if it is a problem, it is a pretty rare one. You are the first person I've seen out of the hundreds of people that I've seen posting on various message boards (Sacred 2 board, Neogaf, Colony of Gamers, etc.). I'm playing with three friends and we've all put in a number of hours with different characters and haven't had a problem yet except for some very minor glitches.

Which system are you playing on?

I have the 360 version. The games netcode isn't that great I guess. My connection is slower than most but I can still play everything else. Everytime I'm in a game with more than one person it becomes unplayable and eventually it will lock up on me. Never fails. This time it locked on me and I had to restart the system and my save data was gone. It happened to one of my friends 2 days ago as well.

bjaelke

EternalGamer said:
I think all the classes, I've seen are pretty cool so far. But I haven't played or played with anyone using a Seraphim or a Dryad yet. The Shadow Warrior gets armies of skeletons and turrets to carry around with him. The Temple Guardian has cool tech like satellite lasers, flame throwers etc. The Inquisitor has some pretty cool close combat spells (including Emperor Palpatine Lightening hands). And the High Elf is all around solid with cool magic effect spells like creating blizzards.

I already have two characters, I think I'm going to start a 3rd soon, a Dryad or Seraphim. One cool thing about this game is that seems that it doesn't take more than an hour or two before you start getting some pretty cool spells regardless of your class. This might be common for PC games of this style, but coming from someone that has only played console action RPGs, I can say that these special abilities and effects in this game blow the shit of the puny stuff you get in games like Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance and Champions of Norath. We are talking about the different between "different colored projectiles" in those games and creating a freaking blizzard, summoning a dragon, or an army of skeletons in this one.
It takes less than five minutes thanks to the shared chest. I have shit loads of runes for when I create new characters. That way they will start with plenty of Combat arts :)

Tom Penny

Is there any quick way to tag the person who gave you a mission. I have a hard time finding them after doing the mission and they are like "contact__insert name" I get so busy doing so many missions I don't always get my reward.

bjaelke

You can just activate the quest in the quest log and the arrow will point to the quest giver. Just remember that you can only have one quest active at the time + your main quest (orange).

Tom Penny

bjaelke said:
You can just activate the quest in the quest log and the arrow will point to the quest giver. Just remember that you can only have one quest active at the time + your main quest (orange).

Yeah. I just figured that out. Once you finish a mission there is a circle for that person you just go to it. Thanks.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Musashi Wins! said:
I'm thinking of picking up the PS3 version too (crazyperson) for co-op play since I like it so much and I thought the Infamous demo was boring. Look out for me if you want to co-op.
I just sunk about 2 hours into it and I am definitely hooked. Went with a Shadow Warrior named Frankie. I love reading gravestones. :lol

Loudninja

DenogginizerOS said:
I just sunk about 2 hours into it and I am definitely hooked. Went with a Shadow Warrior named Frankie. I love reading gravestones. :lol

You can add me if you want my PSN is Loudninja1,just pick it up today as well :)

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
DenogginizerOS said:

Did it look fine to you graphically? I read another place where they mentioned the PS3 version being a bit choppier.

Eh, quote above makes it seem very minimal. My experience is never to buy the PS3 multi, but I'll take the chance again here.

Damn, reading that developer thread I also just saw you can edit the default view to be even larger on PC. Nice.

DenogginizerOS

Musashi Wins! said:
Did it look fine to you graphically? I read another place where they mentioned the PS3 version being a bit choppier.

Eh, quote above makes it seem very minimal. My experience is never to buy the PS3 multi, but I'll take the chance again here.

Damn, reading that developer thread I also just saw you can edit the default view to be even larger on PC. Nice.
I has a little hiccup in it but I had read the devs did the PS3 version first as far as 1080P. My impressions were very positive. I would say, based on what I have read, they are about the same. Plus, I like getting some more Trophies and having the HDD space at my disposal. If you want to wait and see more impressions, that is fine with me.

DenogginizerOS

I am using a Bow with my shadow warrior and getting some very satisfying range kills. I have read some people on other boards complaining about shadow warriors getting boring, however I am mixing up my attacks and enjoying it. But still, is a shadow warrior going to get monotonous?

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
now the store tells me the game will be here on tuesday, WTF is wrong with this world?!

Eric WK

DenogginizerOS said:
I am using a Bow with my shadow warrior and getting some very satisfying range kills. I have read some people on other boards complaining about shadow warriors getting boring, however I am mixing up my attacks and enjoying it. But still, is a shadow warrior going to get monotonous?

I have a Shadow Warrior around level 26 or so and he's a blast. I'm basically doing a hybrid Death Warrior/Astral Lord build so I while I can dish out a lot of physical damage myself, I also have an army of minions crowd controlling and doing a good deal of damage themselves. I still prefer my High Elf, but I don't think Shadow Warriors are boring or monotonous at all.

Tom Penny

How do you wield a sword and a shield. Eveytime I switch to my sword his shield is gone. I don't get it. It's not a two handed sword.

GreekWolf

This game is in desperate need of a Prima deluxe, with full color maps of every dungeon, town and boss encounter. I still can't figure out how in the hell an RPG this ginormous doesn't even have a strategy guide.

Coldsnap

depward said:
Not very great. My friend was level 3 and I was 7 - same console co-op - and he kept on getting two-shotted..

Darn, my friends are gonna be like lvl 20 by the time the came gets to me.

Kauza

Having a ton of fun with this so far, but the average person online is totally useless. Every time I get a group going, people just start wandering off, stand in one spot for ten minutes, or quit immediately.

Definitely open to more friend requests and invites! I've started one of each character but I've mostly been playing the high elf. Up to 17 now--she's absolutely brutal. My others are level one still, or right around there. Anyway, I'm on 360, and the name is Kauza.

Concept17

Ugh... really struggling here. I can't seem to find a character to stick with. The only one I have yet to try is a Seraphim, because the whole design of the character just doesn't appeal to me.

I want to be able to take a couple shots in melee. I want to use a sword (Preferably not 2handed, and I don't really need range nec.) and I want some solid/interesting spells.

Help me decide. :(

Hawk269

Here are some of my thoughts of the game after playing approximately 4 hours in Single Player and about 2 hours in Multiplayer.

First thing that kind of got me a little bothered was the Character Animation. I can understand some of the NPC's or even the Enemies having a little bit poor animation, but damn does your character animate poorly...I wish they would of invested a little bit more in the character animation since you are ALWAYS looking at your character. The 2nd thing that was a little odd and I know that every RPG that allows some customization allows more, but can anyone tell me why some characters only have 2 hair styles to choose from? I mean, come on...TWO??? That is pretty bad in itself. The other thing, why cant I change the color of the Skin of my character or give a chick bigger tits? Ok..so bigger tits is not a deal breaker, but 2 hair styles?

Rant-Bitching now over....

Other than above, I think the game is fantastic. I do wish the camera was a little better so you can be behind your character in a more 3rd person perspective and have a bit farther viewing distance, but overall not bad. I never was a fan of top/down games, but this gives enough zoom where you do get a bit of a 3rd person perspective.

The game is massive as others have said, I played for 2 hours, uncovered 2% of the Map...so at that rate, it would take a LOOONG time to see the entire map. The quests so far have been pretty good and pretty funny in many of them. Visuals range from pretty good to "is my graphics chip going bad"...It is a mix bag, but for the most part it is pretty good. It is not going to win any awards for animation/graphics, but for the size of the game, I think it is pretty good and even impressive in some areas.

I mysellf have not fully settled on the "right" character for me. I love being an archer, so the druid or whatever she is called has been fun so far. Other than the physicall massive size of the game, it is also massive in the amount of items, options, menu's, etc. I do agree that the manual and the in-game menu's/hint boxes really dont do a great job of explaining some of the ruins and other stuff, but I am having fun discovering some of this stuff.

I am glad i bought this game. I have not bought many games since I travel alot for work right now, so today was a bit of Sacred 2 and Halo Wars (post patch) and been having alot of fun. Played MP with a friend from Europe and me in California, USA and had a blast, no lag or any on-line issues. Had some hick-ups on other stuff, just understanding how the online mode works, but overall, we had a blast.

If you are looking for on-line friends you can add me to your FL (Xbox 360 version). I play the part and enjoy a good on-line game venturing around...I also had playing an MP game like this and the other players just go do whatever instead of being a party. So if you want...send the FR to ----> Hawk269

If you can deal with some piss poor character animation, want a massive world, deep RPG elements and like the Genre...then get this game!

Concept17 said:
Ugh... really struggling here. I can't seem to find a character to stick with. The only one I have yet to try is a Seraphim, because the whole design of the character just doesn't appeal to me.

I want to be able to take a couple shots in melee. I want to use a sword (Preferably not 2handed, and I don't really need range nec.) and I want some solid/interesting spells.

Shadow Warrior?

Just got the game, installing now. Had no idea that this has been out for the PC for a bit. Rolling a Shadow Warrior. I'm curious how long it takes to get the quest for your class specific mount.

Kauza

Concept17 said:

I think Stormy's right. You'll probably like the Shadow Warrior a lot, especially if you specialize with one of the categories that has some of the necromancy-type spells.

MrWhitefolks

Neo Member
360 Owners: Are any of you running into "server does not respond" errors when attempting to join a "friends only" game? I haven't been able to connect nor get any of my friends to connect to my game at all today. Is there some kind of server issue or is this something that will be patched, etc?

note: yes we're within the level cap restrictions

This thing wasn't even on my radar until I stumbled on this thread. After reading this thread I ran to Best Buy today and damn it GAF... you f'd my wallet over again. I'm loving this game.:D

Really getting addicted to this game.
There are lots of little issues and (so far) little non game breaking bugs...but play this for a while and you can tell this is special and those who made it really loved the game.
GoTY so far, and my summer savoir.

I'm on my 3rd Dryad build. Played initially to lvl 12 first night and got my feet wet.
Figured out the flow of the game, and started a fresh character.
Second day I got Dryad2 to level 20, but realized it wasn't good to pump lots of runes into my Ravaged Impact and other non-buff CAs, because it's not power so much you want but rate of fire that makes the Dryad so filthy. I want to be constantly triple-shotting my foes, and so as this build wasn't as perfect as I'd want - I ended up scrapping her too.

New Dryad3 is a killing machine on Silver. I saved a butload of Sinister Predator and Barkskin runes to pump into her. At level 25 already, and I've gold modded Ravaged Impact and Sinister Predator buff.
Got my first chest armor set piece (3star) and a wicked blowgun that has life leaching magic and + exp gains . And I just bought a 180,000Charger horse too.

:D

Justin

xDEILGYREx said:
And I just bought a 180,000Charger horse too.

The mounts are really awesome. I love being able to skip a five minute run by just jumping my horse over a river or down a cliff. Kicking people in the face while riding by is pretty great too.

Eric WK

xDEILGYREx said:
Really getting addicted to this game.
There are lots of little issues and (so far) little non game breaking bugs...but play this for a while and you can tell this is special and those who made it really loved the game.
GoTY so far, and my summer savoir.

I'm on my 3rd Dryad build. Played initially to lvl 12 first night and got my feet wet.
Figured out the flow of the game, and started a fresh character.
Second day I got Dryad2 to level 20, but realized it wasn't good to pump lots of runes into my Ravaged Impact and other non-buff CAs, because it's not power so much you want but rate of fire that makes the Dryad so filthy. I want to be constantly triple-shotting my foes, and so as this build wasn't as perfect as I'd want - I ended up scrapping her too.

New Dryad3 is a killing machine on Silver. I saved a butload of Sinister Predator and Barkskin runes to pump into her. At level 25 already, and I've gold modded Ravaged Impact and Sinister Predator buff.
Got my first chest armor set piece (3star) and a wicked blowgun that has life leaching magic and + exp gains . And I just bought a 180,000Charger horse too.

:D

Awesome. What platform and Light or Shadow? My 37 High Elf needs company.

Fortunately I have a busy week ahead of me and won't be able to play a ton, so I should be able to find more people around my level in a few days.

Brashnir

thebigkahuna said:
This thing wasn't even on my radar until I stumbled on this thread. After reading this thread I ran to Best Buy today and damn it GAF... you f'd my wallet over again. I'm loving this game.:D

I wouldn't call it fucking your wallet over if you like the game... It's the ones where you end up hating the game after buying due to GAF hype that hurt.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Tom Penny said:
How do you wield a sword and a shield. Eveytime I switch to my sword his shield is gone. I don't get it. It's not a two handed sword.

You slot them to the same button

Duke Togo

This game becomes more and more addictive! Oh god, I just know my long weekend will be in ruins by tomorrow. I just can't stop doing quests!

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
So far I have a level 5 shadow warrior dude, and I'm not feeling the game too much. Can anyone help?

- "Runes" and what they're for confuses me. I did the "rune tutorial" quest in the first town you come to, but that didn't really help. So... socketing them to weapons is more or less like gemming a weapon on WoW. Increases stats. I have that.
- But some things it wouldn't let me put into a socket. Why?
- Some seemed consumable. They dropped, I "used" them in the menu, and they disappeared. What was that about?

- Some of the menus confuse me. The "compare" option when I have a piece of armor or a weapon highlighted doesn't seem to actually DO anything? Likewise, the manual said that when I got lewts they would be listed in order of best to worst, with the best at the top. But that hasn't been my experience. Weapons and armor just seem to be randomly thrust into my inventory, so I end up highlighting each piece 7 times to make sure I'm equipping the best one (see next note).

- Is there any rhyme or reason to whether a weapon is better/worse? I have a 2-star weapon that does less dmg than the one-star I have equipped now, so I don't really know what to make of that...

- I think probably the biggest problem I have is I (might have) rolled the wrong class. I was gonna be the inquisitor, but saw they were dark-campaign only, so I rolled the shadow warrior but went light. Right now he seems very melee-oriented and vanilla. I run up to bad guys. I mash Sword button (or axe button). They die. I don't expect to have sweet abilities from moment one, but I think I might have just rolled the wrong playstyle.

EDIT: Another Q I forgot about - I was looking at my character's skills int he various trees. Most were greyed out. Some weren't and could be slotted to a hotkey. A few levels later, I had some new skills, when I checked? Game never told me, though. The whole experience just needs more DOCUMENTATION. I'm just never quite sure what things are for, or how to accomplish what I want. I'm confused a lot.

Are there any classes that are more dynamic? I play a Warlock in WoW and it fits my playstyle perfectly (dmg over time spells, ranged attacks, various strange demonic skills).

~~~

Anyway, I've never played a "lootwhore" game before, not even diablo, so these might be things that are true of ALL games in the genre, but some other big WTFs:

- The moment I started my character I was thrust into combat. No tutorial, no nothing. Just "hey kill this dude!"

- Combat just feels very stiff. When I DID start to kill that dude I started hitting the A button (the sword button) and my character just sorta convulsed. I figured out that I needed to SLOWLY press A and let his animation complete, otherwise he would just start the attack animation over and over and no attacks would land.

- He has a lunging/stunning attack that seems to actually happen 1 out of 3 times I press the button.

- Is there a way to CHOOSE who I target, or is it just whomever I'm facing? Annoying to whack at rats in a dungeon when some big monster is attacking -_-

- Bronze has been stupid-easy so far. Mindless.

~~~

SUMMARY:

- thinking about rolling a new class before I get too deep. Suggestions?

- Is the combat in all games of this time clunky/stiff, or is it something unique to my class (or this game?).

- Please explain runes to me in more detail. And the menu system.

- I WANT to like this game... I'm not trying to hate on it. So please help me to like it and don't reply with "YOU'RE SO WRONG ABOUT XYZ"

sol_bad

Playing this on PC with an 8800GTX with mouse/keyboard hooked up to my 42inch plasma. The game looks beautiful and runs smooth on my PC. No idea what it looks like on any of the consoles and I'm too afraid to look.

Personally I can't understand how anyone would want to play this with a control pad.

Duke Togo

Loudninja said:
So I just found this Beveled Relic of Fire,I just equip it right?
Yup, I think you can have up to 4 relics equipped at any one time. As long as its in your inventory and "activated" you're in good shape.

Loudninja

Duke Togo said:
Yup, I think you can have up to 4 relics equipped at any one time. As long as its in your inventory and "activated" you're in good shape.

Ok cool thanks,alto what do I do when I get a rune of the same type?

AL so what should I focus on when I get my first level?

Duke Togo

Loudninja said:
Ok cool thanks,alto what do I do when I get a rune of the same type?

AL so what shoudl I focus on when I get my first level?
What I do when I get a bunch of runes of the same type is trade them to the rune master. You can trade 4 runes and have him produce another one of your choosing (for a fee). Beyond that, you can sell them as well...that's what I do anyway.

As for what you should focus on, what class did you roll? I've only rolled a shadow warrior so far.

Loudninja

Duke Togo said:
What I do when I get a bunch of runes of the same type is trade them to the rune master. You can trade 4 runes and have him produce another one of your choosing (for a fee). Beyond that, you can sell them as well...that's what I do anyway.

As for what you should focus on, what class did you roll? I've only rolled a shadow warrior so far.

Thanks,I ma using a shadow warrior right now as well.

Edit: Maybe I go with sword weapons for my first skill.

Duke Togo

Loudninja said:
Thanks,I ma using a shadow warrior right now as well.

Edit: Maybe I go with sword weapons for my first skill.
It probably couldn't hurt...a good sword/shield combo is a pretty good way to start, I figure. I've been reading stuff from the sacred 2 wikifor skills and what not. I've already made a couple screw ups for my build, but nothing too major. :lol

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
GDJustin said:
So far I have a level 5 shadow warrior dude, and I'm not feeling the game too much. Can anyone help?

- "Runes" and what they're for confuses me. I did the "rune tutorial" quest in the first town you come to, but that didn't really help. So... socketing them to weapons is more or less like gemming a weapon on WoW. Increases stats. I have that.
- But some things it wouldn't let me put into a socket. Why?
- Some seemed consumable. They dropped, I "used" them in the menu, and they disappeared. What was that about?

- Some of the menus confuse me. The "compare" option when I have a piece of armor or a weapon highlighted doesn't seem to actually DO anything? Likewise, the manual said that when I got lewts they would be listed in order of best to worst, with the best at the top. But that hasn't been my experience. Weapons and armor just seem to be randomly thrust into my inventory, so I end up highlighting each piece 7 times to make sure I'm equipping the best one (see next note).

- Is there any rhyme or reason to whether a weapon is better/worse? I have a 2-star weapon that does less dmg than the one-star I have equipped now, so I don't really know what to make of that...

- I think probably the biggest problem I have is I (might have) rolled the wrong class. I was gonna be the inquisitor, but saw they were dark-campaign only, so I rolled the shadow warrior but went light. Right now he seems very melee-oriented and vanilla. I run up to bad guys. I mash Sword button (or axe button). They die. I don't expect to have sweet abilities from moment one, but I think I might have just rolled the wrong playstyle.

EDIT: Another Q I forgot about - I was looking at my character's skills int he various trees. Most were greyed out. Some weren't and could be slotted to a hotkey. A few levels later, I had some new skills, when I checked? Game never told me, though. The whole experience just needs more DOCUMENTATION. I'm just never quite sure what things are for, or how to accomplish what I want. I'm confused a lot.

Are there any classes that are more dynamic? I play a Warlock in WoW and it fits my playstyle perfectly (dmg over time spells, ranged attacks, various strange demonic skills).

~~~

Anyway, I've never played a "lootwhore" game before, not even diablo, so these might be things that are true of ALL games in the genre, but some other big WTFs:

- The moment I started my character I was thrust into combat. No tutorial, no nothing. Just "hey kill this dude!"

- Combat just feels very stiff. When I DID start to kill that dude I started hitting the A button (the sword button) and my character just sorta convulsed. I figured out that I needed to SLOWLY press A and let his animation complete, otherwise he would just start the attack animation over and over and no attacks would land.

- He has a lunging/stunning attack that seems to actually happen 1 out of 3 times I press the button.

- Is there a way to CHOOSE who I target, or is it just whomever I'm facing? Annoying to whack at rats in a dungeon when some big monster is attacking -_-

- Bronze has been stupid-easy so far. Mindless.

~~~

SUMMARY:

- thinking about rolling a new class before I get too deep. Suggestions?

- Is the combat in all games of this time clunky/stiff, or is it something unique to my class (or this game?).

- Please explain runes to me in more detail. And the menu system.

- I WANT to like this game... I'm not trying to hate on it. So please help me to like it and don't reply with "YOU'RE SO WRONG ABOUT XYZ"

Looking over my own post, what I think I really need is for someone to give a very "high level" summary of Sacred 2. I'm reading the Wiki now and (I think) the following is all true: Every character has up to 12 skills they can learn, from three schools. Those skills can then be upgraded in specific ways.

Even something as simple as that eluded me, after a few hours of play, because there's no in-game documentation, AND the game's manual is super confusing, as well. So someone giving little overviews of the game's systems I would find extremely helpful.

Top Bottom